• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog Vs. Insomniac Games, who is the premier Sony developer?

Who is the boss?

• Naughty Dog, obviously

Votes: 212 34.4%
  • Obviously Insomniac Games

Votes: 241 39.1%
  • I lean Naughty Dog, slightly

Votes: 92 14.9%
  • Insomniac Games by an inch

Votes: 72 11.7%

• Total voters

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Insomniac are amazing at pumping up great games at a quick pace. However we can't really disregard ND's amazing achievements with their own IP's. I feel like Insomniac has (successfully) managed to reach the popularity they have by borrowing from popular IPs. ND had to establish original IPs to the same level of success.
finally someone states the obvious.

Insomniac is just eating off of Marvels popularity. Without them they are as big as Resistance :messenger_loudly_crying:

ND is self made. They arent in the same league.

Flutta

Banned
Inso every day of the week. They already released two games and announced two games yesterday. Meanwhile at ND they still havent shown the MP of a game they released in 2020. What a joke.

ND dropped the ball way down after TLOU2.

Before someone throws GOTY awards at me. Most of those awards was purely because of that forced WOKE story and you all know it.

SSM, INSO, and SP are imo the best studios Sony has atm.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
finally someone states the obvious.

Insomniac is just eating off of Marvels popularity. Without them they are as big as Resistance :messenger_loudly_crying:

ND is self made. They arent in the same league.

They aren't in the same league, you are right.

Insomniac focuses on fun, entertaining experiences that doesn't waste a player's time (for the most part).

Naughty Dog, ever since they kicked out Amy Hennig and Straley quit, has focused on slow, poorly written titles that love to waste the player's time.

mcjmetroid

Naughty Dog by a country mile.

I think people are largely saying Insomniac because of TLOU2.

Ya show me an insomniac game that's better than any uncharted game.

coffinbirth

Yes, I do.

Last gen they gave us
TLOU Remastered
Uncharted 4
Uncharted Lost Legacy
The Last of Us Part 2

This gen they can easily do

MP game
New IP
The Last of Us Part 3

also a TLOU 1 remake

this myth that insomniac is way more productive is just a myth.
"this myth that insomniac is way more productive is just a myth"

This has to be trolling, right?

RIGHT?

Let's just look at the last 10 years of these developers.

ND- 4 games
2 DLC
1 remake

Insomniac- 16 games
4 mobile games
2 magic leap games

Myth, eh?

EDMIX

RIGHT?

ND- 4 games
2 DLC
1 remake

Insomniac- 16 games
4 mobile games
2 magic leap games

Myth, eh?

I'm saying.

Insomniac's output used to be something I wanted the industry to learn from, now I realize that shit is not the norm, should not be the norm and what they do is so different, most simply couldn't maintain quality to do what they do.

At one point, they where putting out Resistance, Ratchet every other year back to back like clockwork without missing a beat.

I'm not shocked we got several new IP from them last gen, Spiderman, Ratchet remake, another Spiderman, next gen Ratchet, Spiderman 2, Wolverine lol

When they skip a year, you know some fire shit is about to happen, this happened when they did Spiderman, before its release...they didn't put out a game the year before.

Alienware

Insomniac has been doing great stuff and they seem to have an insanely fast time to market developing rhytm, but they haven't realeased a single game on par with Naughty Dog's peak (Uncharted 2, TLOU, TLOU 2).
I value quality over quantity so it's ND for me, but your mileage may vary.

coffinbirth

I'm saying.

Insomniac's output used to be something I wanted the industry to learn from, now I realize that shit is not the norm, should not be the norm and what they do is so different, most simply couldn't maintain quality to do what they do.

At one point, they where putting out Resistance, Ratchet every other year back to back like clockwork without missing a beat.

I'm not shocked we got several new IP from them last gen, Spiderman, Ratchet remake, another Spiderman, next gen Ratchet, Spiderman 2, Wolverine lol

When they skip a year, you know some fire shit is about to happen, this happened when they did Spiderman, before its release...they didn't put out a game the year before.
Yeah, they are freaks.
Ole numbnuts there saying ND was more productive than Insomniac was just too much bullshit to not call 'em out on.

bender

What time is it?
(Uncharted 2, TLOU, TLOU 2).

DazzlingPeriodicGnatcatcher-size_restricted.gif

coffinbirth

Insomniac has been doing great stuff and they seem to have an insanely fast time to market developing rhytm, but they haven't realeased a single game on par with Naughty Dog's peak (Uncharted 2, TLOU, TLOU 2).
I'd take Spider-Man over TLoU2 10/10 times. Uncharted 2 was one of the best games ever made. Uncharted 4? Not so much. Obviously these things are subjective, but if Sony were to let Insomniac go crazy and make their own "mature" AAA game, I have the feeling it would be just as good, be just as successful and more than likely happen in a reasonable time-frame without going over budget.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It's Naughty Dog. Their brand of blending story telling and games pretty much set a new standard, and they're also the home of the PlayStation ICE team. All of those technical marvels of games you see Sony's first party studios pumping out can thank the ICE team for the tools, optimizations of low-level engine components, the development of those great pipelines, and more.

bender

What time is it?
Uncharted 2 was one of the best games ever made.

It's probably the best Uncharted game ever made. I think it was the perfect balance of bombast for the series (U1 was dull, U3 was exhaustingly over-the-top) but it still had terrible change-of-pace enemies, lame QTEs during boss encounters, brain dead puzzles and zero risk traversal that was made "exciting" by every second or third handhold/foothold collapsing beneath you. It is fine as a summer blockbuster movie you turn your brain off to enjoy, but calling it one of the best games ever...nah.

Alienware

I know I know, it's woke shit right?
Or whatever other shitty take I've read in this thread.

I'd take Spider-Man over TLoU2 10/10 times. Uncharted 2 was one of the best games ever made. Uncharted 4? Not so much. Obviously these things are subjective, but if Sony were to let Insomniac go crazy and make their own "mature" AAA game, I have the feeling it would be just as good, be just as successful and more than likely happen in a reasonable time-frame without going over budget.

I wouldn't, and it's not really that close to me either.
The level of polishing and attention to detail is on two very different planets.

Insomniac has had free reins before and I don't recall anything earth shattering coming out of it.
Not saying they wouldn't, but sight unseen I wouldn't really bet on it.
Creating a good and successful IP it's not easy.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Insomniac is bringing the heat and they never sleep. They are putting all of Sonys other studios on notice. If this keeps happening they should change their studio titles from "PS Studios" to "Insomniac Studios, and friends"

Last edited:

EDMIX

In terms of praise, I agree.

They just make different games and the quality of ND games are on a completely different level. That being said, what Insomnaic is able to do with their time, is beyond anything we've seen in AAA gaming. The magic they got going on there is just insane and its not like we are getting cookie cutter great value type games from em either lol

I agree its not on the level of quality from ND as most of the industry is just not on that level, but the speed, efficiency and quality (for what it is) I don't think that combiation even exist outside of Insomniac.

They are both great teams for what they both do very well.

coffinbirth

I know I know, it's woke shit right?
Or whatever other shitty take I've read in this thread.

I wouldn't, and it's not really that close to me either.
The level of polishing and attention to detail is on two very different planets.

Insomniac has had free reins before and I don't recall anything earth shattering coming out of it.
Not saying they wouldn't, but sight unseen I wouldn't really bet on it.
Creating a good and successful IP it's not easy.
It's probably the best Uncharted game ever made. I think it was the perfect balance of bombast for the series (U1 was dull, U3 was exhaustingly over-the-top) but it still had terrible change-of-pace enemies, lame QTEs during boss encounters, brain dead puzzles and zero risk traversal that was made "exciting" by every second or third handhold/foothold collapsing beneath you. It is fine as a summer blockbuster movie you turn your brain off to enjoy, but calling it one of the best games ever...nah.
tenor.gif

Metnut

Understand TLOU2 had a lot of haters but it really blew me away. Never been able to get into capeshit, so Naughty Dog wins for me.

Gamerguy84

They both put out different kind of games. They both do it very well. I've always been a ND fan and always been an Insomniac fan, before the acquisition.

They're both great

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

RIGHT?

ND- 4 games
2 DLC
1 remake

Insomniac- 16 games
4 mobile games
2 magic leap games

Myth, eh?
Since 2011

Uncharted 3.
The Last of Us
The Last of Us: Left Behind
The Last of Us Remastered
Uncharted 4
Uncharted: Lost Legacy
The Last of Us Part II

Much higher quality to quantity ratio than Insomniac.

TLOU and Uncharted are 10x more memorable, impactful and just better games than the forgettable crap Insomniac was putting out prior to Spiderman. Not to mention longer.

We're talking about The Last of Us versus ... Resistance and like 50 Ratchet and Clanks :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying:

Insomniac just got hot when Spiderman came out. And well.. Its Spiderman. Its fail proof.

EekTheKat

An Insomniac game is pretty much the gaming equivalent of comfort food. Nothing really high brow or challenging expectations on a conceptual level, but good old fashioned gameplay at their core wrapped by a technically excellent engineering crew backed up by some talented artists. Their last few games are all technically well polished and shipped in a more playable state than a good chunk of the industry.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
While I think Naughty Dog does incredible work, for me Insomniac games are much more fun to play, and the ones I find myself returning to.

T0minator

Naughty Dog vs Insomniac Games have been going since the late 90s.

Naughty Dog has created their own IP and quality that raises the bar for the industry for years.

Insomniac Games has perfected production and development processes. They 100% have become the most efficient developer in the industry.

crw0Lff.jpg

Neither have created a Character lately that stands one like Guerilla and SM Studios Aloy, Kratos. But they have their strengths that make them equal.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I give Naughty Dog the slight edge because they were able to create two successful new major IPs.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Well folks, i finally discovered how insomniacs can maintain such an high quantity\quality output, the truth was in front of our eyes all the time.

Last edited:

skit_data

I think Insomniac might have possibly established themselves as the top dog now with Spider-Man 2. Might not be everyones taste due to them having more family friendly games but I bet we'll see them bring grittier, dark themes with Wolverine.

Their critical acclaim to production speed ratio is something else. On top of that their technical abilities are also beyond most others, it's almost ridiculous that they offer graphical options on console that rival some PC games.

Pelta88

Insom is rightfully getting the praise they deserve. They're wizards of the development process. But creating your own ip that is so successful it transitions beyond this medium into the mainstream... That's an entirely different echelon.

In terms of timelines Insom is having its Uncharted 2 moment.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Naughty Dog made two original IP juggernauts.

Insomniac needed the Spiderman IP for this thread to even be made.

Neither are great developers but Naughty Dog is CLEARLY a tier or two higher.

squarealex

It will be always Naughty Dog for "the ice team", some detail in the games and the story impact, bc... for me TLOUp2 is an amazing games (and interesting case)... and tell me... "yeah, Naughty Dog are crazy".... With the time, I really like UC2 (wich is not my case at launch lol) and TLOUp1 (same for UC2)...
Also... Naughty Dog have some knoweldge on multiplayer games.

Now, I respect Insomniac for the short and multi-developpement. But even if Spider-Man 2 seems to be very good... they no way can't reach the same impact of Uncharted 2/4 - TLOUp1/2... At least, Naughty Dog launch 2 new IP on PS3... Insomniac some but they flopped.

Last edited:
Is there any doubt now? Naughty dogs have still not used any RT and haven't done any new game on PS5 after 3 years in the market.

Last edited:
Top Bottom