• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog Vs. Insomniac Games, who is the premier Sony developer?

Who is the boss?

• Naughty Dog, obviously

Votes: 212 34.4%
  • Obviously Insomniac Games

Votes: 241 39.1%
  • I lean Naughty Dog, slightly

Votes: 92 14.9%
  • Insomniac Games by an inch

Votes: 72 11.7%

• Total voters

harmny

Banned
2eCNE5i.png

DtdSkUL.png

Naughty Dog has literally never made a bad game.

Insomniac has made an entire bad franchise in Resistance :messenger_poop:

If you wanna compare their cream of the crop stuff then...

The Last of Us >>>>> Spiderman.

Naughty Dog is better graphically, at level design, writing, tech, animation, essentially everything. No games push the Playstation platform further than a ND game.

Insomniac only got to top tier this gen (PS5) with their insane output so far.

If you compared them last gen youd be laughed at. Stop it
Way of the Warrior and Rings of Power. Naughty Dog were terrible western developers before partnering with Sony. Even prior to those games. Never made a bad game lol.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Way of the Warrior and Rings of Power. Naughty Dog were terrible western developers before partnering with Sony. Even prior to those games. Never made a bad game lol.
Never made a bad game since they became a 1st party studio. You're reaching.

Never made a bad game since they became a 1st party studio. You're reaching.
Reaching? By acknowledging their development history? Also, they were bought out by Sony in 2001. They started in 1984. So they've been great developers for half their existence in your opinion. That's not admirable. I hate to say it because I like some of their games but they are probably the most overrated game studio of all time simply because they focus on technology and cinematics. While impressive there are always better games that I've always played those years with actual gameplay. I know their games have gameplay but it's repetitive and not the best ever in their genres usually that I can think of anyways... But I will agree that they are amazing at the craft of which they want to focus on. If that's up your alley then it's easy to choose them based on the latter half of their existence but if you actually try to frame them in the whole scheme of things then they are mainly that studio that makes Oscar winners but not the movies that we remember and enjoy... Barring a few.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm not really a huge fan of the R&C games. Very pretty, but the gameplay doesn't really do it for me. Spider-Man was one of my top 3 games last gen though. But I still think I hold ND in slightly higher regard. They've just made more masterpieces than Insomniac (yes, I include TLOU2 in that).

LectureMaster

Gold Member
PS3 and PS4 era naughty dog is definitely leading but the woke part in TLOU2 and Druckmann plummeted their reputation for me.

Insomniac is very efficient with their recent outputs but I don't think their games have reached the masterpiece level yet.

I'll probably go with Satan Monica for my taste.

Maogp

Spyro much better than Crash
Ratchet much better than Jak
Resistance was really good and ND from Uncharted starts to change focusing in more cinematic experiences while Insomniac continued to produce more funny games.

I like ND eh, but Insomniac makes better videogames.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Insomniac: Gameplay first
ND: Story first

This isn't fair to Insomniac, they've dared to take more risks than ND(and no, the narrative of TLoU 2 doesn't count as a gameplay risk).

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Sucker Punch and Guerilla would be, but I hated Horizon, with passion.

But from the list Insomniac, ND in my opinion nowadays do a shitty games. But that's just like my opinion. I never liked them much, but they made amazing characters, which made me love Uncharted.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Does anyone feel like ND's games have inflated ratings? I am in no way saying their games are bad, I'm just saying that games media and the general public probably give them slightly higher ratings because of the Naughty Dog name.

In saying that, I personally like the games that ND makes and have not enjoyed the recent output from Insomniac. Really pretty games from Insomniac, no doubt, but the actual gameplay is kinda boring.

In terms of Impact to Playstation, I think early this gen is dominated by Insomniac.

sainraja

I like both studios. They use to share studio space at one time I think. Uncharted is how I discovered Naughtydog and through Naughtydog I discovered Insomniac. Love their games now.

NewYork214

I would give it to naughty dog by an inch. And only reason is because I like the tone of their games. The violence and stories are more mature.

Terms of gameplay. I think insomniac knows how to make games fun. Literally one of the best developers in terms making games enjoyable. The type of weapons, and the weapon upgrades that evolve the guns/weapons/ tech and make them even more fun over time. Love their games.

Naughty dog has fluidness down though. Last of us 2 literally amazes me with how in depth they are with the combat. Every playthrough of battles is completely different then the last.

If insomnia still made resistance series. I would give the edge to them tho.

Rikkori

I'm rooting for Sucker Punch to keep ascending, their games are more my style. Bend too, but they're not too hot atm. ND & INS are both pretty meh in my book, their games are just not for me.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
ND, easy. Insomniac is wonderful, but they didn't reach the extreme level of ND. If Anything Sony Santa Monica is the closer competitor to ND. Insomniac has all the potential.

Topher

Gold Member
Would I want Insomniac creating the next Uncharted or TLOU? No.

Would I want Naughty Dog creating the next Spider-Man or Ratchet and Clank? No.

But if I have to put the "premier" label between those two then it would have to be Naughty Dog.

Having said that.....what about Santa Monica Studios?

God Of War Sigh GIF by PlayStation

Aion002

ND all the way... Uncharted 2 was the game that started the PS3 resurrection and TLU was the one that closed the Ps3 gen in the best possible way, creating a huge hype for the PS4.

That's what my brain tells me... However... In my heart Sucker Punch is always the number one! Infamous and Ghost of Tsushima are the real gotys!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'd pick Insomniac as out out of all those games, I think Resistance is the coolest series out of all of them. And Disruptor on PS1 was a solid FPS.

Shivvy24

While these 2 companies make 2 different types of games. I've always preferred insomniacs output over naughty dogs since the ps3 era.

Barlow

Don't like the ND games (except Animation) and always prefered Insomniac + SuckerPunch over ND and SMS

Last edited:

renzolama

Well one of them makes mediocre movies and the other made a mediocre spiderman game. It's a tossup.

Last edited:
It’s obviously Naughty Dog right now - BUT now that they own insomniac it may switch. I totally forgot about resistance - I would love for them to revisit that franchise.

They are both really good but Insomniac hasn't put out a 90+ game in a long time. Naughty Dog on the other hand has consistently been doing it for over a decade now. Not to mention just about every single one of their games has dominated GOTY awards from media and users. Seems pretty clear to me.

Naughty Dog has literally never made a bad game.

Insomniac has made an entire bad franchise in Resistance :messenger_poop:

If you wanna compare their cream of the crop stuff then...

The Last of Us >>>>> Spiderman.

Naughty Dog is better graphically, at level design, writing, tech, animation, essentially everything. No games push the Playstation platform further than a ND game.

Insomniac only got to top tier this gen (PS5) with their insane output so far.

If you compared them last gen youd be laughed at. Stop it
What’s with the hate for resistance

angrod14

Naughty Gods, hands down. The only other Sony studio who could be considered around -but not quite- their same league is Santa Monica. Insomniac are world-class but nowhere near god-tier. They need to get into more mature games if they want to up their level, stop with the kiddie colorful stuff, leave that to lesser studios.

Top Bottom