• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog or Santa Monica Studios -Which Sci-Fi IP would be better

Which studio would do Sci-Fi better, for YOU?

• Naughty Dog

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Santa Monica

Votes: 81 56.3%

• Total voters

T0minator

Earlier today on Twitter or "X" I started this poll asking which studio would make a better Sci-Fi IP for YOU?

I personally think aliens and giant space creatures at an epic scale that SMS does so well will blow away any other Sci-Fi game

Naughty Dog would make the perfect space immersion/horror with crazy amounts of detail that we haven't seen in a Sci-fi game.

Which studio do you feel would hypothetically do a better job, and why?

None Im Thinking No GIF by CBC

Jinzo Prime

Earlier today on Twitter or "X" I started this poll asking which studio would make a better Sci-Fi IP for YOU?

I personally think aliens and giant space creatures at an epic scale that SMS does so well will blow away any other Sci-Fi game

Naughty Dog would make the perfect space immersion/horror with crazy amounts of detail that we haven't seen in a Sci-fi game.

Which studio do you feel would hypothetically do a better job, and why?

Why not make a poll here too?

Anyway: Naughty Dog.

ZehDon

Gold Member
After the TLOU and Uncharted 4, I'm not confident Naughty Dog have the chops for making a decent original sci-fi that doesn't just come out as "TLOU... iN sPaAaAaCe".

SSM have shown a willingness to evolve recently that Naughty Dog really hasn't, so, I'd be much more excited for their sci-fi work.

Last edited:
Not a fan o scifi settings, so thinking about two sony biggest teams doing something in that space makes me less and less interested. On other hand, current atmosphere in entertainment industry makes me more happy to see american studios creating things far away from actual western historical settings

I didn’t liked last games they made, I have no interest in whatever they make.
Why even enter the thread then, if you're so disinterested in the subject of the discussion?

Like, you must have such an over-inflated opinion of yourself to think that a thread full of ND/SSM fans would be interested in hearing how much you aren't interested in those studios and their work.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Why even enter the thread then, if you're so disinterested in the subject of the discussion?

Like, you must have such an over-inflated opinion of yourself to think that a thread full of ND/SSM fans would be interested in hearing how much you aren't interested in those studios and their work.
In thread they ask question and I simply answered, that’s all there is to It.

IFireflyl

Gold Member

Shut The Fuck Up GIF

This is a public forum where people can discuss whatever they want (within the rules of the site, including staying on topic). Danjin44 Danjin44 did precisely that. There was no need for your haugty-taughty attitude. Do yourself (and us) a favor and step away from the keyboard.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
There are many threads on the forum. Do you go into each and every one to post a reply, regardless of whether you actually have anything meaningful to contribute to the discussion or not?

Do you act like a fucking prick in every thread? If there's a problem with the post you can use the report button. Quit acting like a smarmy little twat because someone's opinion differed from your own. As I said, they had every right to post what they did. Quit detailing the thread with your bullshit.

Errr.... no. It's a public forum. If he's free to enter a thread about a subject to post about how disinterested he is in the subject matter, I'm also free to call him out on not actually adding anything constructive to the discussion and only contributing negatively to the signal to noise ratio....

... as are you with this post.

This is a public forum where people can discuss whatever they want (within the rules of the site, including staying on topic). Danjin44 Danjin44 did precisely that. There was no need for your haugty-taughty attitude. Do yourself (and us) a favor and step away from the keyboard.

Oh, the irony... lol

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
There are many threads on the forum. Do you go into each and every one to post a reply, regardless of whether you actually have anything meaningful to contribute to the discussion or not?
america-south-park.gif

you are getting worked up over one reply, don’t like my reply then simply ignore it.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Errr.... no. It's a public forum. If he's free to enter a thread about a subject to post about how disinterested he is in the subject matter, I'm also free to call him out on not actually adding anything constructive to the discussion and only contributing negatively to the signal to noise ratio....

... as are you with this post.

Oh, the irony... lol

What he contributed was constructive. It was on topic, and it was his opinion on the post. You just didn't like what he said. By the way, I agree with that point completely. I think there are better studios to handle a sci-fi game than Naughty Dog and Santa Monica Studios. I like their games, but I don't necessarily think they would nail a sci-fi game better than others.

Use the report button if you think a post deserves it. Either way, quit acting like a teenager and throwing a fit because someone didn't respond exactly as you wanted them to. I'm done responding to you.

Do you act like a fucking prick in every thread? If there's a problem with the post you can use the report button.

Well, I just reported you for your entirely unnecessary and juvenile personal attack.

Quit acting like a smarmy little twat because someone's opinion differed from your own.

That's not the issue at all. The issue is that that person entered a thread topic about something they have no interest in at all, and posted nothing constructive, only just expressing lazily how little interest they have in the subject matter. I have every right to call them out.

Had they posted some insightful criticism of ND or SSM's games, I'd have had no issue with their post. But they didn't do that. They just posted a worthless statement of their own disinterest. That's not provoking/promoting any discussion, only adding noise to the existing one. That kind of thing makes reading threads on the forum insufferable.

If you don't think that's a problem, then you're probably also part of this increasing problem on the forum.

As I said, they had every right to post what they did.

And I have every right to call them out for adding nothing to the thread discussion. The only person derailing the thread is you with your knee-jerk fanboy accusations and needless personal attacks.

User has been removed from the thread.
america-south-park.gif

you are getting worked up over one reply, don’t like my reply then simply ignore it.

It's a discussion forum. I chose to discuss it with you. It's sort of the point.

If you just go around ignoring posters who post things you find disagreeable, then you'll miss out on participating in any worthwhile debate.

What he contributed was constructive.

If you genuinely think this there's nothing more to be said. You either don't understand what constructive means, or you're just arguing in bad faith.

Put it this way, if a poster went into a thread about the Switch 2 and posted that they have no interest in Nintendo consoles and never have, and that was all they said, you clearly wouldn't be trying to defend that in good faith as being constructive or on-topic (or at least I hope you wouldn't).

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

I will buy both. If the themes are different from one another. Both are top notch studios. But I would like shorter experiences ragnarok is too big. I have not finished it just yet. 20 hrs for a game is good enough.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Comparing both of their last real games (TLOU2 and Ragnarok(... Naughty Dog is on a whole other level of talent and ambition

So Naughty Dog.

T0minator

Both teams are so fucking talented, either could do an amazing job.

So...shit both lol
This poll is unsurprisingly even so far, both studios would do an incredibly awesome job in a Sci-fi universe, their talent and attention to detail would be soooo great to see, if it happens.
Santa Monica using that cancelled Sci-fi game from years ago as their starting point would be exciting
YkMS8sw.jpg
CYRxUKM.jpg
ohSzgix.jpg

T0minator

Comparing both of their last real games (TLOU2 and Ragnarok(... Naughty Dog is on a whole other level of talent and ambition

So Naughty Dog.

Naughty Dog's environmental story telling and talent and creating immersive moments like that scene in TLOU Part with Ellie and Joel "taking off to outerspace" was such a well done moment I could see creating such an great space adventure 🤤

Hudo

I didn’t liked last games they made, I have no interest in whatever they make.
This unfortunately.

I think I am more willing to give Santa Monica Studio another chance. Naughty Dog can just fuck off as far as I am concerned. Last of Us 2 killed any interest I had in that studio.

T0minator

This unfortunately.

I think I am more willing to give Santa Monica Studio another chance. Naughty Dog can just fuck off as far as I am concerned. Last of Us 2 killed any interest I had in that studio.
Not to get too much into this, but was it because of Joel's death?

Because the gameplay is top tier, the AI, gunplay, so many different ways to approach each encounter. Most games this generation haven't matched the attention to detail Naughty Dog accomplished with TLOU2

The rumour is that Naughty Dog’s next game is a brand new medieval fantasy IP. This makes a lot of sense, the past two games were TLOU and for all it’s greatness, it does have a lot of shortcomings especially in its gameplay and combat mechanics. Them choosing to work on the new IP will allow the studio to avoid creative stagnation, and allow the developer team to stretch and flex their creativity and imagination muscles since there’s so many directions you can go within the fantasy genre.

Likewise is the case with SSM and God of War, it’s rumoured they’re working on a Sci-fi epic, it sounds like it’ll be a completely different experience to something like God of War which will be refreshing.

I also hope SSM can push their sci-fi game to the next level, it’l be such a flex if they can do things Starfield couldn’t… like fully fledged space traversal from space onto planets without any cutscenes.

Last edited:

Hudo

Not to get too much into this, but was it because of Joel's death?

Because the gameplay is top tier, the AI, gunplay, so many different ways to approach each encounter. Most games this generation haven't matched the attention to detail Naughty Dog accomplished with TLOU2
Not so much his death itself but how they wrote it. In fact, the writing in The Last of Us 2 is just too on-the-nose and the utilization of gore and gruesome moments is just for cheap shock effect. Nothing in its storytelling is tastefully done, IMHO. Gameplay is OK, albeit nothing that we haven't already seen from Naughty Dog. I can usually stomach shitty writing and pacing when the gameplay is good but I just couldn't in TLoU2. And it's crazy that TLoU1 was so much better in that regard; it's like night and day.

Neolombax

I voted for Santa Monica. I feel like they're able to do scale better. Plus Ragnarok was a really fantastic action game.

Top Bottom