• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog is laying off contract developers, asking them to keep it quiet. TLOU Online "is basically on ice at this point"

Ronin_7

3 years wasted.

Now cancel this shit project and focus on what you do best.

I can’t believe the rabid fanboys were hyping this up without realising that it was a self inflicted cancer for the studio
It's dead the moment Bungie said it was not good.

People just have Hopium syndrome 😂

L*][*N*K

Banned
Game pass effect.
confused GIF by Call of Duty World League

SSfox

What happened to this studio man? They used to be some if the best devs during ps123 era. It slowed down in PS4 era but they managed to release some good games.

At this rate they may not even be able to release a single game on PS5 gen.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It's basically the same report from earlier this year... the only difference is that we now know people from QA were let go.

Fake

GOOD FUCKING MONEY WASTED SONY.

What a disaster. ND is over. GaaS need to disapear.

Last edited:

Zok310

Banned
Im not worried about ND, most devs wont achieve what ND have, i am worried about SIE thinking ND is a studio that can handle and maintain a GAAS ip.
That dont mean i think sie forced them to make it, i just think that Bungie was brought in too late in development to have an impact on ND gaas game and now its just too late.
Cancel the shit, and next time have Bungie involved from day 1 on the next gaas.

Sethbacca

Meh, I never played the original factions and I doubt I'd touch much of this one so no big loss for me. I'd rather have more of their mainline single player output anyway so I'm fine with stopping whatever stops them from working on those projects.

CJ_75

If I was Sony, I would merge Naughty Dog with Insomniac.
I will remain a huge fan of Naughty Dog but the studio has lost some of its appeal. The studio looked like there were 2 captains on a steerless ship and one of the captains, Evan Wells, has just retired.
I would welcome a new Uncharted or TLOU game but I just want something fresh from them.

Last edited:

sainraja

“You’re fired and getting no severance, please don’t mention it”

Why would anyone abide by this? Lmao
I was thinking the same thing, but I don't think contractors can get a severance (but it is up to the company really), can they? Otherwise, why wouldn't they just bring them on full-time when originally hired?

Last edited:

demigod

Who wrote this amateurish trash? Oh yeah its shitaku. Contractors services were no longer needed so they were “let go”. You don’t get severance pay as a contractor, noobs.

Pretty shitty of the person who went to them for this news after being asked to keep it quiet.

Last edited:
How much resources have been spent on this? It has been so many years and there is nothing they can show? I know it's said the project was going all well until Bungie gave their input about the live-service aspect, especially monetization, but can't shake the feeling there is more to it and ND went back to the drawing board.

tmlDan

this is the same news we had last time (a year ago) but they let go QA contractors, why do we care?

Last edited:

sainraja

I tried to see something good on all this shit Sony is doing, but there's no way! Naughty Dog probably broken at this point.
They were also scrutinized heavily during the production of TLOU: P2 because of "crunch" so... I wonder if that also had an affect. Not saying "crunch" is good or bad but that type of thing will have an influence in how they work going forward.
this is the same news we had last time (a year ago) but they let go QA contractors, why do we care?
Hmm, not sure about it being posted before, but if so, it does look like it.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
And thats why everything is vaporware until it is not ... fanboys will never learn

This mp/gaas race is going to fuck it all up for the next few years... time for the deniers to wake up and take the hints

Last edited:

Darsxx82

The main problem in these cases of mismanagement is not if a game is delayed or canceled, it is the time lost at a time when a AAA+ game requires so much development time (~5 years)

Now it can be said that ND or Sony was wrong with the GaaS bet for a Studio that is everything for SP games.

HTK

Banned
I was looking forward to Factions as I am a huge fan of the original Factions.

At first I thought they would do what they did before but with better and tighter gameplay and more maps and some of the new things from TLOU2 included. Then they delayed because they had higher ambitions and then rumors were Battle Royale. I was excited for this because I'm a huge fan of the Battle Royale genre but also TLOU universe is perfect for it. Toolboxes to open and loot items, crafting etc... it all made perfect sense and it probably had a lot of potential.

Then rumors were about Extraction type genre...which I'm not a fan of at all.

I'm still hopeful but they probably lost their way with this one without proper direction not because it's a "GaaS" game.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sony had diverted resources away from the project following a negative internal review by Bungie, the recently acquired live-service powerhouse behind Destiny 2
Hey Bungie, evaluate internal GAAS game A..... "it sucks"

Hey Bungie, evaluate internal GAAS game B..... "it sucks"

Hey Bungie, evaluate internal GAAS game C..... "it sucks"

Hey Bungie, how's Destiny 3 coming along?..... "it's awesome!"

Who knew Bungie were going to be overseers of all Sony GAAS games (even ND's game).

Bartski

Gold Member
Nothingburger clickbait. Do convtractors normalny get severance pay in Amercica?

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Im not worried about ND, most devs wont achieve what ND have, i am worried about SIE thinking ND is a studio that can handle and maintain a GAAS ip.
That dont mean i think sie forced them to make it, i just think that Bungie was brought in too late in development to have an impact on ND gaas game and now its just too late.
Cancel the shit, and next time have Bungie involved from day 1 on the next gaas.

It’s cancelled or at best being released as a MP mode in TLOU3.

Agree that the idea these studios can maintain a successful gaas IP and keep working on other big projects sounds pie in the sky. Respawn probably the only one doing it?

Gojiira

On the one hand Im relieved, on the other if this was a open world similar to something like DayZ I’m kinda gutted, could have been amazing.

Toots

Gold Member
So we won't have a new naughty dog game on PS5...
It's sad but as long as we collectively agree it's all druckmann fault and we should shave his tic tac shaped head and tar and feather him, i think the outcome is a net positive.
Edit : we should also force him to write a new ip alone without any help just to spite him.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Lol overreacting much?
Factions 2, or whatever it will end up being called, has been starting and stopping since before TLOU2 came out. Recently, we heard Sony was investing deeply in GaaS.

One would assume this title would be close to release, not being put on ice.

Top Bottom