• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog is laying off contract developers, asking them to keep it quiet. TLOU Online "is basically on ice at this point"

Layoffs were communicated internally at the Santa Monica, California-based studio last week, according to two sources familiar with the situation. Departments ranging from art to production were impacted, but the majority of those laid off worked in quality assurance testing. The sources said at least 25 developers were part of the downsizing. Full-time staff do not appear to have been part of the cuts. Naughty Dog’s headcount was over 400 as of July.
Sources tell Kotaku that no severance is being offered for those currently laid off, and that impacted developers as well as remaining employees are being pressured to keep the news quiet. Their contracts won’t be officially terminated until the end of October and they’ll be expected to work through the rest of the month. Sony did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Despite hit ratings for the recent HBO adaptation of The Last Of Us, a multiplayer spin-off for the zombie shooter based on the first game’s Factions mode has struggled in development. Bloomberg reported in June that Sony had diverted resources away from the project following a negative internal review by Bungie, the recently acquired live-service powerhouse behind Destiny 2. One source now tells Kotaku that the multiplayer game, while not completely canceled, is basically on ice at this point.
Kotaku

There you go, next Naughty Dog game coming out in 2028, lmao.

Last edited:

GHG

star trek GIF

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Unfortunate. But it seems like it's not as bad the article's headline led me to believe.

They ended contracts of ~25 contractors, when they had more than 400 developers. Full-time employees were not affected. And most of them were from the QA.

Having said that, TLOU Online being delayed sucks because I was most excited about it. Hopefully, we will see it reworked and back soon.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
3 years wasted.

Now cancel this shit project and focus on what you do best.

I can’t believe the rabid fanboys were hyping this up without realising that it was a self inflicted cancer for the studio

Every GAAS project is a self-inflicted cancer. Take Rocksteady Studios ... they have been working for more than eight years on a Suicide Squad GAAS game, every showing has been a bust, it keeps getting delayed and when it finally comes out it's going to be a extremely expensive, dismal failure.

Perrott

Gold Member
All hands on TLOU3?
That's what I'm thinking, and probably all the work they had done on Factions up until this point will now be repurposed into a more traditional multiplayer experience for TLOU3.

Now they better get that game out by March 2026 if they want to make up for this shitshow.

Hudo

Can they cancel this shit already? It was a bad idea to begin. Move on to something that's actually interesting.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What is more troubling is them laying off QA people who couldve helped them test their next game. But its very likely that their next game is in pre-production over 3.5 years after they released TLOU2. Its entirely possible that their next game is a 2026-2028 release.

Whoever is running that studio needs to be fired asap. Your premiere first party studio cant be making cancelled gaas games and 2nd tier remakes. 3.5 fucking years is how long it took them to make TLOU2 after shipping lost legacy.

What a fucking waste, all they needed to do was remake the original factions for the remake.

How long until we see a new game from naughty dog now? PS3 had 4 new games. PS4 had 2, I’m guessing PS5 will only see one and it’ll be cross gen with the PS6.

They went from one of my favorite developers to essentially nonexistent, like Rockstar.

Top Bottom