• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystic Ryan - Why I Already Like PS5 More Than PS4 (So Far)

I mean...The best PS5 games are PS4 games. It benefits from that alone. PS5's output has been mediocre at best in my eyes. Demon Soul's really feels like the only "must play" while everything else, maybe aside from R+C, are just better looking versions of their last-gen counterparts.

It's not a bad start by any means, but it's not like we are just flooded with new games and experiences.

Markio128

I mean...The best PS5 games are PS4 games. It benefits from that alone. PS5's output has been mediocre at best in my eyes. Demon Soul's really feels like the only "must play" while everything else, maybe aside from R+C, are just better looking versions of their last-gen counterparts.

It's not a bad start by any means, but it's not like we are just flooded with new games and experiences.
You forgot the award winning Returnal. PS5 has had some great games, including the best version of some great cross-gen titles.

Last edited:
That's a given if you don't factor the impact of crossgen on how people feel. 2 years in the life of the PS4 is when we had that legendary 2015 E3 and Bloodborne had already released at that point.

So far so good. Impressive that they managed to clearly outdo their PS4 output during the Covid crisis, while also having a great output of games in the late years of the PS4. With that said, things need to get a lot more interesting quickly, that goes not only for Sony but also for third-parties.

Last edited:
Returnal was out a year sooner than Bloodborne. Demon’s Souls at launch too.

And E3 2015 hasn’t happened yet it’s still months away. We’re in April 2015 in this comparison.
I know, I admit that so far they clearly outdone the PS4 in pretty much every way (except maybe for unit sales but that's due to supply). But as I said, crossgen games from all publishers taint how we perceive things as far as the state of current gen output.

Sony put out better nextgen only games (on top of great crossgen games as well) but the same can't be said about third party publishers.

TW3 is about to release on the PS4 in the same timeframe, a game that wasn't on PS3 or XB360. I don't even know what currentgen only game I should be looking forward to.

Last edited:

Calverz

Gold Member
Animated GIF

Max_Po

Banned
I love the PS5 (and Ser X) both without even next gen games. The processor alone irons out the fps hiccups of last gen without any intervention of developers.

kyliethicc

I know, I admit that so far they clearly outdone the PS4 in pretty much every way (except maybe for unit sales but that's due to supply). But as I said, crossgen games from all publishers taint how we perceive things as far as the state of current gen output.

Sony put out better nextgen only games (on top of great crossgen games as well) but the same can't be said about third party publishers.

TW3 is about to release on the PS4 in the same timeframe, a game that wasn't on PS3 or XB360. I don't even know what currentgen only game I should be looking forward to.
Mostly due to covid, seems a lot of games got pushed a year. 2023 will be what 2022 was supposed to be, I think.

Belthazar

Demon Soul's really feels like the only "must play" while everything else, maybe aside from R+C, are just better looking versions of their last-gen counterparts.

Sometimes I feel like you people don't think before posting... Everything else is a better looking version of their last-gen counterparts, except for Demon's Souls, the actual remake that's EXACTLY a better looking version of a 13 years old game?

Last edited:
Sometimes I feel like you people don't think before posting... Everything else is a better looking version of their last-gen counterparts, except for Demon's Souls, the actual remake that's exactly a better looking version of a 13 years old game?
Aww, that's cute, yeah, that must be it bud...Continue on with your circle jerk then if you don't like dissenting opinions.

HTK

Banned
Honestly who cares? I buy a new console day 1 regardless of games. After playing the PS3 for like 7 years, believe me I don't want to spend another extra minute on it if the new system is out. Don't need to justify jack. hahaha

MikeM

I’m a sub of his content. One of the most level-headed console gamer channels out there.

I personally am enjoying the PS5 probably the most since PS2. Big fan of the Dualsense, UI (which I at times leave on for background music) and the FP games in general.

kyliethicc

Launch - April 2015 (1.5 years)
PS4
  1. Killzone Shadowfall
  2. Knack
  3. Resogun
  4. Infamous Second Son
  5. DriveClub
  6. The Order
  7. Bloodborne

Launch - April 2022 (1.5 years)
PS5
  1. Demon Souls
  2. Astrobot
  3. Returnal
  4. Ratchet
  5. Destruction All Stars

Yeah, no.
Resogun was cross gen if you’re ignoring those. Which is dumb of course.

PS5 has Horizon, GT7, Sackboy, Death Stranding, Miles Morales, etc. All so early into the gen.

And none of those PS4 games were particularly good until Bloodborne.

And you forgot Helldivers, another cross gen PS3 PS4 game. And a fun one.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
PS4
  1. Killzone Shadowfall
  2. Knack
  3. Resogun
  4. Infamous Second Son
  5. DriveClub
  6. The Order
  7. Bloodborne

PS5
  1. Demon Souls
  2. Astrobot
  3. Returnal
  4. Ratchet
  5. Destruction All Stars

Yeah, no.
Pure exclusives, sure.
But ps4 had no bc and here, you get bc with 4k or even 4k60fps modes like Death Stranding, days gone and got.
And a lot of crossgen going on (way too much)

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Pure exclusives, sure.
But ps4 had no bc and here, you get bc with 4k or even 4k60fps modes like Death Stranding, days gone and got.
And a lot of crossgen going on (way too much)
I bought the PS5 to play PS5 games. I already had a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, and didnt really want a PS4 Pro 2 or Xbox One X-2.

I remember being blown away by the graphics in DriveClub, KZSF, Infamous Second Son and The Order. not a single game has done this for me. They look pretty, but the decision to target native 4k 30 fps instead of pushing visual fidelity at 1440p a la UE5 is bonkers for Ratchet and Demons. DriveClub and the order are still talked about today as some of the greatest looking games of the last gen, and Infamous Second Son literally started the photomode craze. It was a far more exciting time then what we have gotten this gen.

BB was an early game of the generation contender. No PS5 game even comes close.

fart town usa

Gold Member
The PS5 is effing amazing and anyone saying otherwise, well....I'm sorry that you feel that way.

The games will come, until then there's a console that leaves the PS4 in the dust and it runs like a dream. The Dual Sense is hands down the most comfortable controller I've ever used and the rumble/resistant triggers is awesome, it's not a gimmick whatsoever. The few exclusives it has are solid too. I don't need a new game all the damn time. There's plenty of things I can do to keep me occupied and the PS5 plays them all better than the base-PS4 I came from.

I bought a PS5 to potentially save myself a future headache, I didn't think I'd actually need it but man, it's so damn nice. The thing feels like a luxury device and I honestly think $500 is a steal for it. It was easily worth the almost double MSRP I paid.

Ryan covers PlayStation stuff without partaking in console wars or downplaying Xbox.

The same can’t be said about Colteastwood who tries to pass for a neutral but is an Xbox fanboy who fuels console wars.

I also love Ryan’s PS3 + PS5 combo

Yeah, if you want just good mature video game discussion and news he’s the person you go to. No clickbait dramatic headlines, no console warring, calls sony on their bs, and clears up unfounded rumors, like the ps plus stuff.

Good content. I always recommend his channel to people, that aren’t into the back and forth stuff.

Last edited:
I've had my PS5 for all of a week and it's obviously a superior machine to PS4 and has a better OS. The games output for PS5 is pretty solid considering it released smack in the middle of a pandemic that chased everyone away from work, causing a shortage of everything. This seems to have forced Sony to make sure the compatibility of PS4 games is solid to help fill in while PS5 games are still cooking.

If you paid scalper prices and feel short changed then that's on you. At regular price the PS5 is pretty great.

rofif

Banned
I bought the PS5 to play PS5 games. I already had a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, and didnt really want a PS4 Pro 2 or Xbox One X-2.

I remember being blown away by the graphics in DriveClub, KZSF, Infamous Second Son and The Order. not a single game has done this for me. They look pretty, but the decision to target native 4k 30 fps instead of pushing visual fidelity at 1440p a la UE5 is bonkers for Ratchet and Demons. DriveClub and the order are still talked about today as some of the greatest looking games of the last gen, and Infamous Second Son literally started the photomode craze. It was a far more exciting time then what we have gotten this gen.

BB was an early game of the generation contender. No PS5 game even comes close.
You feel what you feel.
I was religiously impressed by astro playroom for some reason lol.
And of course Demons Souls

SSfox

PS5 SSD is a big game changer already by its loading times, once devs will start using it for more than loading times it's gonna be some next level stuffs.

Hugare

PS4
  1. Killzone Shadowfall
  2. Knack
  3. Resogun
  4. Infamous Second Son
  5. DriveClub
  6. The Order
  7. Bloodborne

PS5
  1. Demon Souls
  2. Astrobot
  3. Returnal
  4. Ratchet
  5. Destruction All Stars

Yeah, no.
This must be a joke, right?

With the exception of Bloodborne and Resogun, all of the PS4 games on your list are B-C tier

All of the PS5 games on the list were well received with the exception of Destruction All Stars

Quality over quantity all day

PS4
  1. Killzone Shadowfall
  2. Knack
  3. Resogun
  4. Infamous Second Son
  5. DriveClub
  6. The Order
  7. Bloodborne

PS5
  1. Demon Souls
  2. Astrobot
  3. Returnal
  4. Ratchet
  5. Destruction All Stars

Yeah, no.
So we're ignoring cross gen titles that play a lot better on PS5 because...?
Looking at sales most people are buying those games on PS5 not PS4 as well.

If PS5 didn't have cross gen titles who knows if some of these last few games wouldn't be PS5 only as well?

fart town usa

Gold Member
You feel what you feel.
I was religiously impressed by astro playroom for some reason lol.
And of course Demons Souls
Have you played Astrobot: Rescue Mission on PSVR?

I played that prior to Playroom, I really like Playroom but Rescue Mission is the superior game IMO. Just curious cause these Astrobot games are damn good but sadly super limited in who gets to play them. I feel like for everyone who loves Playroom, they'd be completely blown away at what Rescue Mission is like in VR. It's so much fun.

This must be a joke, right?

With the exception of Bloodborne and Resogun, all of the PS4 games on your list are B-C tier

All of the PS5 games on the list were well received with the exception of Destruction All Stars

Quality over quantity all day
Second Son is a great game and was very well received at launch. (Metactitic sits at 80% users and critics). Other than being a bit empty the setting and gameplay is cool. Also has an incredible photo mode.

Totally agree about Shadow Fall. Mediocre. Not sure what they were doing on that one.

Top Bottom