• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Switch OLED has an error code Nintendo doesn't know about... (2110-1118)

Last night I got this error code on my new Switch OLED (2110-1118) and was unable to troubleshoot the problem. I got the Switch OLED on release day and it has been running fine ever since (including the wireless). This morning I call Nintendo support and they haven't heard of this code. Has anyone seen this happen? Here is some background on what my Switch is doing:

Full Error:
"Error Code: 2110-1118
Wireless communication is not currently available due to an error.
Please restart the console from Power Options in the Power Menu (hold the POWER Button for three seconds)."

I get this error every time I start a game or try to resume a game from the home menu. I tried restarting my console a few times and shut down completely with no change. I deleted my internet setting and manually re-entered them. Oddly, the Switch does not detect any wireless networks when searching. It should see my own, some neighbors and my phone as a tether, but nothing. I toggled Airplane Mode on an off, no change. I plugged it into the dock, no change. Plugged in a wired connection into the dock and it connected over the wire, did the latest update and still no change. Only way I can get rid of the error message is to delete my wireless internet settings, but then of course I still don't have WiFi.

I have a support ticket into Nintendo, and they are looking into it. They had to elevate it up since none of the representatives has heard of this error code. Hopefully it is just a bug and they will issue a patch soon. However, it's starting to feel like a hardware issue where the wireless hardware cant be detected or started up.

Chronos24

Sounds like your wireless card may have stopped working or malfunctioned from what you've said. Get a replacement would probably be best thing you can do it's obviously under warranty.

Kataploom

Gold Member
If anything failt try just send it back using warranty, if it's a really unknown error I don't think they'll provide a solution quick... I may be wrong tho

Sounds like your wireless card may have stopped working or malfunctioned from what you've said. Get a replacement would probably be best thing you can do it's obviously under warranty.

If anything failt try just send it back using warranty, if it's a really unknown error I don't think they'll provide a solution quick... I may be wrong tho
They said they would get back to me in a day if it’s an easy fix, 3 days at maximum if they are working on it. I bet it’s going to be a warranty replacement, and I doubt they will give me any issues since they don’t even know what it is yet. Do they supply you with a new switch or is it some kind of refurbished unit? I want a new one since I /just/ bought this thing and it’s in perfect condition.

iHaunter

Looks like a dead NIC. Which would be the worst case scenario. Best case, upload files to cloud/USB, reset switch.

Update:
There isn’t really an update… Called Nintendo and they said to call back next week and that they are working on it. They didn’t offer to replace the unit or anything, so I guess they really are trying to figure this out.

Finally found someone else online that had the same problem, so maybe this is a bigger issue than just me.

TLZ

Banned
Just demand a replacement. It's a very new console and you shouldn't be having a serious issue like this this early.

Rob_27

Mine has an annoying boing spring noise in the right joycon thumb stick. Is this normal it's not in the left one. Only seems to be when I rotate it clockwise.

BlackTron

Probably bad wifi adapter, but one thing you can try on a whim is to fully discharge the battery so it's truly OFF and all current is discharged. Kind of like what you do when you unplug your PC and hold power for 10 seconds.

I'm not sure though if that might hurt the battery to fully discharge it, especially this early in the system's life.

Lignum

Neophyte
Update:
There isn’t really an update… Called Nintendo and they said to call back next week and that they are working on it. They didn’t offer to replace the unit or anything, so I guess they really are trying to figure this out.

Finally found someone else online that had the same problem, so maybe this is a bigger issue than just me.
Hey. Just saying that everything from your original post is exactly what I went through. Somebody messaged me on reddit saying they initialized their system and it fixed their issue. I decided to initialize until it worked and it did... until I fully restarted the system (not just sleep) then the wifi went away again. I tried a few more times and only got it to find wifi networks one more time. Same thing though when I turned the system off and on again.

If this says anything it's that the update didn't completely brick the wireless NIC.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
My original non OLED switch did this. Wifi would just drift in and out and eventually never be connected then Wifi would just never connect but always the message came back that something was wrong on my side it was my internet connection that was having the issues this despite every other wifi connected device in my house working perfectly.

I sold the switch not long after as I couldn’t get my Animal Crossing save back from the cloud after resetting / restoring to factory default and never being able to connect to wifi again.

Last edited:

SteadyEvo

Walked into GameStop for a trade in and asked if they had any. To my surprise they had the white one in. Thought about it but decided to pass. Then another customer walks in with out a mask. Associate asked if he had one, dude says I have a quick question and I’ll leave. Ask if they had the oled switch and associate told him no 😆

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Had the same code pop up on mine. Just got off the phone with Nintendo support, they're having me send mine in for repair.

Sucks that it'll most likely be after Christmas before I get my new Switch back. Thankfully I still have my old trusty launch Switch.

Narasumas

Had the same code pop up on mine. Just got off the phone with Nintendo support, they're having me send mine in for repair.

Sucks that it'll most likely be after Christmas before I get my new Switch back. Thankfully I still have my old trusty launch Switch.
Hopefully not... Nintendo's warranty and customer support is notoriously fast. I've at least had very good experiences.

They said to call back tomorrow (Nov 9) so I'll update after I contact them.

LOLCats

Banned
may sound silly, but did you try a different wifi network? maybe try a hotspot from your phone.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

Just demand a replacement. It's a very new console and you shouldn't be having a serious issue like this this early.
This.

“Take all year to look at it and diagnose the problem if you want, but just send me a new console so I can be on my way.”

You’ve ponied up the cash to be able to play a Switch OLED, you shouldn’t have to be without one while they tinker with a fault.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
This error has been around on the Switch since it launched. It's a standard networking error for FreeBSD. Edit: I was wrong about that - similar, but not the same

Some people can enable or disable airplane mode and make it go away for a while. Some have found their wifi router was using a heavily congested channel. But most of the time it's just faulty hardware.

Last edited:

Lichig0

Neo Member
Sorry for the bump. I would have posted a few weeks ago but had to wait for account approval!

But I really wanted to chime on that I also had an unusual error code on my less than a month old OLED Switch. Just one day turned it on and it complained about the network and suggested to reboot the Switch. (Spoiler, no troubleshooting steps worked)

Trying to search for my issue was futile, only finding results about how the Switch's wifi it terrible, etc. Up until I found this post which actually described my issue.

I tried rebooting the Switch half a dozen times, I tried multiple routers, standing next to the routers. Nothing worked. Bluetooth worked fine, wired ethernet worked fine, just the wifi was dead. One other thing I tried was to test the screenshot sharing feature to my phone, since that'll activate the wifi radio to send to my phone. That's when I got an error along the lines of "could not connect to external device" which pretty much convinced me the wifi chip died somehow.

Ultimately I got on text chat support with Nintendo, told them all the different troubleshooting steps I went through, including the failed share, and they got me set up with a return slip for repair. A week later they sent me a working Switch with all my data and Animal Crossing Island still retained!

If this were my old, launch, Switch I would have tried opening it up and unplugging the battery. But this was practically a brand new OLED Switch, so I didn't want to take that risk.

TL;DR: If your Switch does not work, even after rebooting, and you can't share screenshots to a mobile device, it seems sending it in to Nintendo for repair may be the only option as far a I could find.

ethomaz

Banned
If there is a unique error code attached to it Nintendo indeed does know it exists.

Unique error codes are not random assigned but defined by the coder.

Last edited:
If there is a unique error code attached to it Nintendo indeed does know it exists.

Unique error codes are not random assigned but defined by the coder.
I know, if the error code was thrown it’s obviously in the code. However, Nintendo support had no clue (or at least that what they were telling me). After all was said and done, Nintendo strung me along for three weeks only to have it sent in for repair/replacement. Got it back in a few days and it’s working fine. The cheapskates didn’t even offer me a small gift card or anything for all my trouble and hours of calls. I’m still annoyed with it. Long story short, just return it to the store if you get it right away, or demand a repair/replace immediately if you’re outside the return window. Their support was completely worthless if you know basic troubleshooting.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I know, if the error code was thrown it’s obviously in the code. However, Nintendo support had no clue (or at least that what they were telling me). After all was said and done, Nintendo strung me along for three weeks only to have it sent in for repair/replacement. Got it back in a few days and it’s working fine. The cheapskates didn’t even offer me a small gift card or anything for all my trouble and hours of calls. I’m still annoyed with it. Long story short, just return it to the store if you get it right away, or demand a repair/replace immediately if you’re outside the return window. Their support was completely worthy of you know basic troubleshooting.
Yeap first tier support is not especializes and really only know the most common errors.

It is not a Nintendo issue alone… all support services are like today… including the fact they thread like a baby:

- Did you turn off and turn on again the device Well if that have worked I should not have called you… restart, factory reset, I did everything before call you… several times.

- Great but just to test it again let’s turn it off and on together.
(Rolling my eyes).

- Now let’s try to factory reset the device.
(Madding intensification)

- Ohhh it is really not working.
(…)

Last edited:
Top Bottom