• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My new Switch OLED has such a beautiful screen

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Its like the Vita 10.0 and TOTK looks better on it than my OLED TV

The colors are dripping our of the screen so vibrance that game was made to be played on Switch OLED Anyones else get OLED for TOTK? Purchase has been validated confirmed next gen gameplay on this screen is like crack

cireza

1hQVdKB.png

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
It’s actually amazing. Makes Nintendo’s games in particular just shine. Playing TotK on it when it’s sunset and the amber light hits the green grass. Looks as good as anything.
Yeps Switch hardware specs are bigtime crudola but this games on the Switch OLEDS screen is verrrryyy vibrance purdy my friends

I still dont know how they dids it

Not hard to achieve when all switch games looks like absolute turds in a modern 4k oled tv.

Unless it's something like Origami King.

paper-mario-the-origami-king-review.jpg

But for the most part games do suffer a bit when you blow them up on a 4K OLED TV.

Still doesn't stop me from using my Switch on my screen but I can see the downside to doing that.

shubik

Yeah, I have to agree. Coming from the PS5 I was really unsure if I should get a Switch just for Zelda. But playing this thing in bed or on the balcony is still blowing my mind 4 days later...

Sure, the controls and joycons are a little fidgety but overall the experience paired with the good battery is fantastic

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
As an OG switch owner, I'm slightly jealous, but there's no way I'm buying an updated system to play a game that will be rereleased to run on the new hardware that's surely due any minute.

Hear No Evil Do Not Want GIF by Red Fang
Old Switch screen looks like crud and Switch 2 prolly won't be out until 2025 its night and days how much better OLED it is

Nintendo is cheap to so's I bets that the Switch 2 won't even have OLED hahaha

GymWolf

Unless it's something like Origami King.

paper-mario-the-origami-king-review.jpg

But for the most part games do suffer a bit when you blow them up on a 4K OLED TV.

Still doesn't stop me from using my Switch on my screen but I can see the downside to doing that.
I tried 4 games on switch and the less shit looking on the big tv was xenoblade 2, but it was still bad.

supernova8

Banned

The colors are dripping our of the screen so vibrance that game was made to be played on Switch OLED Anyones else get OLED for TOTK? Purchase has been validated confirmed next gen gameplay on this screen is like crack
I sold my OG Switch a few years back (didn't have any money lol) but at the time I almost never played in handheld mode.

Fiance gifted me an OLED Switch about a year ago and I surprised myself how often I play in handheld mode. I can't really remember what the OG screen looked like anymore but on the OLED the colours just pop. If only the hardware itself were more powerful.......... but oh well it's Nintendo so I already gave up hoping for it.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Not true, I have a 48 LG C series OLED, and switch back and fourth between my Series X and OLED Switch, both systems games look very good, the only thing that I notice is the drop from 4K to 720p on the home menu screens.
Good for you, we probably have different standards of what looks good then.

Tokt looks horrible because the fsr is super noticeable on a big screen, half the time the image is a blurry mess and the framerate is still nowhere near locked. (Lmao at the df analysis, these people probably only played the fucking intro)

Last edited:

Can't wait for my new Switch OLED! I will be here in a few days. That 7 inch 720p display is perfect for gaming.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I’m still using my OG Switch. Unless Nintendo releases a version with a faster, more efficient processor, I’m probably fine until Nintendo releases their next console.

I mostly play on my TV anyway.

Quasicat

I have to admit that OLED Switch was a bit unexpected from Nintendo, there is a premium feel to it which is nice.
Absolutely! The screen is incredible along with the kick stand and the metal housing…even the Joy Cons fit better into the rails better than before. The next Switch is going to need this premium hardware in order for me to jump on board at launch.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Yeah it's a nice screen. Hopefully the next one will have HDR support.
Idk, seems like hdr games have brighter but muted colors. Idk if that’s a byproduct of hdr or just devs not knowing how to use it.

Mozza

Good for you, we probably have different standards of what looks good then.

Tokt looks horrible because the fsr is super noticeable on a big screen, half the time the image is a blurry mess and the framerate is still nowhere near locked. (Lmao at the df analysis, these people probably only played the fucking intro)
Or different tastes, a lot of the Nintendo stuff has it's own art style, some like it, some do not. So far I have not noticed the framerate issues with TOTK, or seen it as a blurry mess.

I do see the benefits of the uber realistic looking games, and my Series X is awesome, so my standards are not lacking as you suggest. ;)

Last edited:

nikos

The OLED display is a major reason why I still buy some games on Switch. I never play it docked.

TotK image quality is poor though.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Yeah, I have a launch day switch but upgraded to the OLED, the wife also has an OLED and it's a no contest, bigger more vibrant screen is a more meaningful upgrade than most would think.

Im keeping my og switch for homebrew down the years but I cant see myself using it over the oled one.

GymWolf

Or different tastes, a lot of the Nintendo stuff has it's own art style, some like it, some do not. So far I have not noticed the framerate issues with TOTK, or seen it as a blurry mess.

I do see the benefits of the uber realistic looking games, and my Series X is awesome, so my standards are not lacking as you suggest. ;)
Not to sound like a jackass but it is hard to believe that you don't notice when fsr turns on and the image lose a lot of IQ, it is super noticeable in a big 4k screen, when fsr is off it looks ok i guess, i was never talking about the artstyle, shit iq has nothing to do with artstyle, many game have quirky artstyle and pristine iq.

And if you really don't notice that or the framerate hiccups, then yeah, we have different standards and i kinda envy you for not noticing such glaring stuff.

Last edited:

Alebrije

For people playing most.of time mobile an Oled screen has more sense...if you play on Tv better get the cheapest Switch

And for current Switch users the more time passes the less sence has to buy an Oled , better save money for next Swtich upgrade or Nintendo console...

Mozza

Not to sound like a jackass but it is hard to believe that you don't notice when fsr turns on and the image lose a lot of IQ, it is super noticeable in a big 4k screen, when fsr is off it looks ok i guess, i was never talking about the artstyle, shit iq has nothing to do with artstyle, many game have quirky artstyle and pristine iq.

And if you really don't notice that or the framerate hiccups, then yeah, we have different standards and i kinda envy you for not noticing such glaring stuff.
I judge the game on it's hardware, and of course the Switch is low powered, but I do not not think the games visuals are that bad, yes they are a little rough around the edges, but they still look fine to me, that being said I have always liked Nintendo's art style. Guess I am just not looking for things like some, and I do understand it can become a bit of an obsession looking for things.

Deerock71

You're going to face fierce resistance about the beauty of that screen, but just feel free to tell them they're full of shit and they CLEARLY don't know what they're talking about.

On my Panasonic Plasma (1080) with 60fps interpolation this game looks more than ok.

I like the mood lighting and atmospheric fog effects of this game. They're so well integrated.... It just works. And all the little details are so well designed. Superb!

Top Bottom