• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My impressions on the FFVII Remake Steam edition

Nickolaidas

Okay, so I never played the PS5 version of FFVII Remake, or the Epic Store version (because I had heard it's bugged and glitched to Seventh Heaven), but I bought the Steam version the day it was up, and am playing the game once more, in much better hardware than the PS4 ever was.

So, I'm playing the game on a CPU i7-9700K on a Aorus Pro Z390 motherboard (or was it Z690?) and most importantly, on a 2080Ti. The game's installed on a Samsung 970 Evo Plus NvMe. 32GB of RAM on my PC. On the game's settings, I am playing at 4K/60 fps.

First of all, it's amazing how much the game takes advantage of the SSD. Unlike FFXV which takes quite a few seconds to load the Title Screen and another 6-10 seconds to load a save, FFVII Remake has you playing around fifteen seconds after running the EXE file on your Steam menu.

The graphics are amazing, and the textures look gorgeous. The improvements from the PS4 version's shitty backgrounds are phenomenal, and while the NPCs still do not look like the main characters, they sure as heck don't look like they belong on a PS2 game. Excellent use of lighting and shadows as well.

As for the infamous frame-drops / stuttering, I have yet to experience frame drops, although I haven't progressed much into the game. I'm at the part where Cloud gets up in the morning in his apartment, meets his landlady and returns to 7th Heaven to meet up with Tifa for the water filter side quest (I heard the problems are on the chapters where you meet Aerith in the church). I think I *did* notice some stuttering in the beginning of the game, when a cutscene was about to transition to gameplay, but it's just one hiccup that last(s/ed) half a second. Definitely NOT something game-breaking.

Have yet to face any kind of audio bugs/glitches.

So, for me, in terms of a port quality, the Steam version is a solid 9.5 out of 10. For those who only played the PS4 version and have yet to experience a next-gen edition, if you have at LEAST the hardware specs I do, I recommend buying this game if you want a better edition.

What is everyone else's experiences with the Steam version?

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Post the Tifa mod you've installed
https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy7remake/mods/492

FEx0Vo8.jpg

Because lore matters.

I also put this (Tifa related, in a way)

https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy7remake/mods/392?tab=files

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i've got it on Epic, so been playing for a while now ;), and no issues with it. runs fine with no bugs/glitches. steam probably has the same version as epic. the only difference is you click on steam to play it instead of epic.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

I have the Epic version which i just picked up a few weeks ago. Apparently the stuttering was mostly fixed in an Nvidia driver update.
I ran it for the first time yesterday, main issues are framerate cap(gsync) and no ultrawide support, im using mods to uncap the framerate and Flawless widescreen for ultrawide, much better now.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I have the Epic version which i just picked up a few weeks ago. Apparently the stuttering was mostly fixed in an Nvidia driver update.
I ran it for the first time yesterday, main issues are framerate cap(gsync) and no ultrawide support, im using mods to uncap the framerate and Flawless widescreen for ultrawide, much better now.
do you know what version of nvidia driver by any chance? like i said, no issues here but i haven't updated my drivers for a while.

CitizenZ

Banned
Anyone else find it weird that it didnt explode on Steam like most other exclusives? Right now shows 11,000 active players but I would have easily said it would be peak close to 100k. No big deal, just found that interesting.

CuNi

Anyone else find it weird that it didnt explode on Steam like most other exclusives? Right now shows 11,000 active players but I would have easily said it would be peak close to 100k. No big deal, just found that interesting.

Price might be it and the fact that Steam Summer Sale starts in 3 days.
I wouldn't drop 60€ on a 2 year old game that went through PS4, PS5, EGS and now to Steam. It's a good game, but after 2 years, it ain't worth 60€ yet alone the 80€ they ask for without any discount.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i would say that most people who wanted to play already bought it on Epic. it has been out there for ~6 months now and they just had a sale where it was down to ~£37 (from £69.99). Steam is currently charging £49 for it.

Nickolaidas

My guess is the majority couldn't wait and got it on the Epic Games Store.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Of course it didn't blow up. GILGAMESH isn't in it.

I'll probably be playing other games before I get to this one. I also kinda want to put it off until all parts are released. Been playing a whole lot of Deep Rock Galactic myself and soon am going into a full deep dive of FFXI.

------------

Nice mods btw OP. Will use for the definitive OG Tifa Lockhart experience.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the battle system and if there is a mode that puts that at the center like a boss rush or some sort of thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Nickolaidas

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the battle system and if there is a mode that puts that at the center like a boss rush or some sort of thing.
I love the battle system. My favorite FF battle system so far. The way you freeze the action and cycle through the party to give them commands then go back to hack and slashing while your teammates execute said commands is incredibly flexible.

Don't know about a boss rush, but there are some arena-modes of sorts in two places in the game, methinks.

Last edited:

DukeNukem00

Banned

What other exclusives ? Every sony game that came out on PC just came and went. Zero of them exploded on PC. Both Horizon and God of War, for console gamers, they were these masterpieces and games of the generation when they were exclusives. 20 million sellers. They were both forgotten in 2 weeks on PC and i sincerely doubt i'll ever see a pc gamer make a list of his best games that include god of war on it or horizon.

At this point, its pretty clear that if a person is a pc gamer, he's a pc gamer because he likes pc games. Thats the reason he plays on PC. He likes either the library of pc games or the manner in which PC lets him play games. So when a console game gets released on PC, there arent that many people who will run to play them. If someone would be super interested in console games, it stands to reason that he would not be a pc gamer, if console games are what interest him.

We already knew this by looking at sale charts since forever, there is almost no overlap between games if you look at a sale chart for PC and consoles.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I love the battle system. My favorite FF battle system so far. The way you freeze the action and cycle through the party to give them commands then go back to hack and slashing while your teammates execute said commands is incredibly flexible.

Don't know about a boss rush, but there are some arena-modes of sorts in two places in the game, methinks.
Sounds pretty cool. Might be a evolution of FFXII, Type 0 and FFXV systems then.

It'll be something to look forward to from a Fighting Game mindset.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
What other exclusives ? Every sony game that came out on PC just came and went. Zero of them exploded on PC. Both Horizon and God of War, for console gamers, they were these masterpieces and games of the generation when they were exclusives. 20 million sellers. They were both forgotten in 2 weeks on PC and i sincerely doubt i'll ever see a pc gamer make a list of his best games that include god of war on it or horizon.

At this point, its pretty clear that if a person is a pc gamer, he's a pc gamer because he likes pc games. Thats the reason he plays on PC. He likes either the library of pc games or the manner in which PC lets him play games. So when a console game gets released on PC, there arent that many people who will run to play them. If someone would be super interested in console games, it stands to reason that he would not be a pc gamer, if console games are what interest him.

We already knew this by looking at sale charts since forever, there is almost no overlap between games if you look at a sale chart for PC and consoles.
Uh? No, not at all. Look at games like Elden Ring, which play pretty much the same on PC and console. That game exploded because of it's quality and beign a new release.

If those Sony games aren't exploding on PC because well, some people own both a PC and a console, or maybe it's becausd they released many years ago and there isn't really that much interest in playing them.

DukeNukem00

Banned
Uh? No, not at all. Look at games like Elden Ring, which play pretty much the same on PC and console. That game exploded because of it's quality and beign a new release.

If those Sony games aren't exploding on PC because well, some people own both a PC and a console, or maybe it's becausd they released many years ago and there isn't really that much interest in playing them.

But Elden Ring doesnt have anything to do with the subject at hand. People who own both a console and a PC are small minority. There are entire countries, continents where PC was and is near exclusive. Its literally that simple, like i said. If someone simply dies for sony's exclusives, he's gonna buy a playstation, not an xbox or a pc. Its that simple. None of sonys games have made a dent on PC because theres no big interest for them on the platform. I will repeat what i said, sale charts for a given month for console and pc usually have zero overlaping games. PC gaming is an entirely different audience with different tastes than consoles

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

We have no idea how good the game would sell on Steam if

A) There was never an Epic Store revease six months ago

B) The game didn't have the entire internet talk shit about it being 'the worst PC port ever' on release.

Those two factors definitely played a part in the Steam sales.

DukeNukem00

Banned
Well, I have a PC and really disagree with this statement.

It's a pretty hard fact, it doesnt require agreement. That doesnt mean its 100% absolute. Of course there will be people who are different, its a big planet with 7 billion people on it. What i said means overall, in the grand scheme of things. Especially forums like this one and reeera, with a frankly unnatural obsession for consoles and playstation in particular, you're gonna have many people in these places who were console players since birth and got a pc somewhere along the line. And they think everyone is like this. Its not. Just look at PC and console gaming libraries before 2010, after everything went multiplatform. Games and genres could not be more different.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
OP, have you run around the open slums of Midgar during the day time? Most people say that’s when stutter happpens…

I was considering going for the Steam release for part 2 (since I have a 10700k and 3090) but 2 years is a long time to wait so I think I’m going to keep buying them on PlayStation. Many others probably feel the same, with regards to the current Steam numbers. Well, that and the sale price being $50 and the normal price being $70 after 2 years.

The game is amazing though and worth every penny no matter what platform you buy it on.

Nickolaidas

OP, have you run around the open slums of Midgar during the day time? Most people say that’s when stutter happpens…
The open slums of Midgar? Not entirely sure where you are referring to. The part of the slums near Tifa's bar? Or Aerith's church?

Right now I am at Jessie's chapter-mission and I have yet to experience any sort of frame drops whatsoever. The part of the slums near Tifa's bat ran like a dream.

Have yet to go to Aerith's church.

Celcius

°Temp. member
The open slums of Midgar? Not entirely sure where you are referring to. The part of the slums near Tifa's bar? Or Aerith's church?

Right now I am at Jessie's chapter-mission and I have yet to experience any sort of frame drops whatsoever. The part of the slums near Tifa's bat ran like a dream.

Have yet to go to Aerith's church.
I don’t want to risk spoiling anything… please post back once you finish it. I’d be interested in if it ever starts stuttering later on

Guilty_AI

FFVIIR really isn't as big of a deal as, say, God of War or Monster Hunter. Not to mention this released on Epic six months ago already which further mitigates the release playerbase on steam.
100k players would be far too much of a stretch. RDR2 which released on similar circunstances (console exclusive for a year, Epic/Rockstar launcher exclusive for a month) only got 55k simultaneous players peak despite being, well, RDR2. FFVIIR would never get these kind of numbers.

Graciaus

Kinda but not really. Anyone who wanted to play it did it on consoles a couple years ago. Pc holdouts pirated it since EGS. The game is also not complete and is expensive.

When Persona 5 Royal comes out I expect much bigger numbers.

But Elden Ring doesnt have anything to do with the subject at hand. People who own both a console and a PC are small minority. There are entire countries, continents where PC was and is near exclusive. Its literally that simple, like i said. If someone simply dies for sony's exclusives, he's gonna buy a playstation, not an xbox or a pc. Its that simple. None of sonys games have made a dent on PC because theres no big interest for them on the platform. I will repeat what i said, sale charts for a given month for console and pc usually have zero overlaping games. PC gaming is an entirely different audience with different tastes than consoles
God of War did pretty damn well on PC IIRC

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It's a pretty hard fact, it doesnt require agreement. That doesnt mean its 100% absolute. Of course there will be people who are different, its a big planet with 7 billion people on it. What i said means overall, in the grand scheme of things. Especially forums like this one and reeera, with a frankly unnatural obsession for consoles and playstation in particular, you're gonna have many people in these places who were console players since birth and got a pc somewhere along the line. And they think everyone is like this. Its not. Just look at PC and console gaming libraries before 2010, after everything went multiplatform. Games and genres could not be more different.
No dude, you can't generalise and say "PC players just like X game". It's not true, that's not how things work and tbh, I find your argument really dumb.

It's a pretty hard fact ... That doesnt mean its 100% absolute.
Lmao.

The Shepard

Agreed and I've played them all. The Combat system is the perfect mix between old and new and will only get better in part 2 and 3 as we get more materia. That plus the graphics, music and nostalgia overload makes it one of my fave games of last gen. Rebirth is my most anticipated game.

DukeNukem00

Banned
No dude, you can't generalise and say "PC players just like X game". It's not true, that's not how things work and tbh, I find your argument really dumb.

Lmao.

You seem to have several issues, either with reading, either with understanding what you're reading or something more severe. Not much point in continuing since i would just be repeating myself and you would continue to not understand a single thing you're reading. I guess you'll need several more sony games performing worse on PC than indie games until it sinks in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom