• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[MVG] Doom 3 on the Original Xbox is an incredible port. Here is why.

Doom 3 on the original OG Xbox is a port of the original PC game from 2004. However, just exactly how do you port a game from the PC that demanded lots of memory and a fast CPU and GPU, to an OG Xbox with a 733Mhz CPU and just 64Mb of RAM. In today's episode, I talk to an ex-Vicarious Visions developer who lets me know how it was done, and how Doom 3 on the OG Xbox could be a candidate for an impossible port. Please enjoy!

image.png

image.png

Romulus

Doom 3, Half Life 2, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and Chronicles of Riddick Escape from Butcher Bay -- the graphical GOATs of OG Xbox.

This was the most impressed I've ever been by a console. It was already old by the time some of these ports came out and it was like the OG Xbox had an add on "32x" that made the games better looking all of a sudden, but it was simply being pushed with shaders or by PC devs. I played Riddick some months ago and was shocked that it looked better than some 360 games, not just early 360 games either.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Nah, HL2 on XBOX is better.
I played Doom 3 on XBOX first, I found it very good back in the day. I've played recently... WTF is this shit?

Danknugz

this is more evidence of the "dark ages" of PC gaming back in the early 2000s when consoles would be a lot more stable running newer 3D games due to the lack of standardization on the PC side with drivers, issues with direct x and win9x in general just being slow.

back then, you could buy a console and get way more stable and sometimes even faster performance in most 3d games outside of FPS than you would for building a state of the art PC.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never played any of the 3D games you guys mentioned above on Xbox OG. At that time of gaming, I had stopped buying game mags long time ago and I wasnt that big into gaming news on the net. I'd just check gaming stuff online here and there.

A couple buddies had an Xbox and I went over to try some games while we'd do hockey pools.

I couln't believe it. The games looked so good, their HDDs were filled with tons of pirated Genesis and SNES games and the EA Sports games (like NHL) ran super smooth like WTF it looks leagues better than the PS2 version I have. Since I didnt play their Xbox much over the years I could never get acquainted to the duke game pad. It was so big.

Last edited:

Futaleufu

this is more evidence of the "dark ages" of PC gaming back in the early 2000s when consoles would be a lot more stable running newer 3D games due to the lack of standardization on the PC side with drivers, issues with direct x and win9x in general just being slow.

back then, you could buy a console and get way more stable and sometimes even faster performance in most 3d games outside of FPS than you would for building a state of the art PC.

Try playing any console port of Max Payne. My Celeron/TNT combo ran the game better than an Xbox.

Why???

Because the Baby Demons??? xDDDD:messenger_tears_of_joy:

I liked it and I played it non-stop, because I rented it at Blockbuster.

I liked it when he used Berserker Mode with the chainsaw activated.
I was just 12 or 13 back then and I didn't really like games with horror aspects but still wanted to play it. Even those demons crawling out of the vents (those you first encounter at the start of the game) scared me. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Great game and port just like Half Life 2 og xbox.

In my opinion, its topics like Doom 3 xbox that remind me that generation (xbox, ps2 and gamecube) was the best time in video game history. Thanks to my older brother I was able to experience all three consoles at the time. Nothing compares.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Doom 3 was one of the most impressive games I had played on the OG Xbox. I enjoyed it more than the BFG remaster. HL2 I found worse but I had already played the PC version before it on a good video card so that might've been a factor.

VN1X

Banned
Wait it had 4-player co-op?!

That's insane lol. Especially considering some flagship titles can't even get that to work for two people these days...

I remember being stunned by the port on the original xbox. I loved the co-op campaign too. Would love to do another playthrough of that co-op campaign. I wonder how hard that'd be to set up on PC these days.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Hell yea. Fans got XBL 1.0 up and running again (Insignia), Doom 3 is supported. My buddy and I were playing the coop campaign a few months back. I love that it's vanilla Doom 3; no flashlight on gun. It's either flashlight or gun, makes encounters so intense. Game is unbelievably dark.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I remember being stunned by the port on the original xbox. I loved the co-op campaign too. Would love to do another playthrough of that co-op campaign. I wonder how hard that'd be to set up on PC these days.
It's not too tough. I got set up with Insignia on actual hardware, my buddy did it via emulation. Lots of good YouTube tutorials.

nkarafo

This game took so long to be released, it jumped from being a showpiece for the (upcoming then) Geforce 3 to requiring at least a Geforce 4 Ti to run at medium-low settings with a playable frame rate.

Trunx81

Always great to hear from the OG developers, that´s why I love this board, you learn so much about projects from the past and how they came to be.

PS Vita port is also quite impressive, even if it still needs some work.

Bry0

I’d love to see a video like this on half life 2. The Xbox version runs like garbage but honestly the experience isn’t far off from the pentium 4/fx5200 pc I had at the time (was terrible). I tried the Xbox port for the first time only a few weeks ago and it’s just super impressive it works at all, even with all the visual cuts.

Doom 3 port is next level with the co op. Amazing that they fit in new features like that.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I’d love to see a video like this on half life 2. The Xbox version runs like garbage but honestly the experience isn’t far off from the pentium 4/fx5200 pc I had at the time (was terrible). I tried the Xbox port for the first time only a few weeks ago and it’s just super impressive it works at all, even with all the visual cuts.

Doom 3 port is next level with the co op. Amazing that they fit in new features like that.
lol I played through HL2 on the same """""""""rig"""""""", 640x480 15-20fps low settings with pauses (not stutters) any time a physics event happened

DF did a video on Half Life 2 playing Xbox & PC (also PS3) side-by-side. Worth a watch but its like an hour long :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom