• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MSI to launch gaming handheld device at CES 2024

TrebleShot

Embarassingly bad and late to the market, get SD OLED instead of this trash and any other PC handheld running windows trash.

Celine

Stop it with the asymmetrical sticks and the pointless RGB crap.

They are all looking at the trend-setter.

La-Nintendo-Switch-OLED-1143293.jpg

FingerBang

Can't wait to see another handheld with the same performance (or worse), a ton of useless features and without goddamn VRR.

The ROG Ally remains unbeatable

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't understand why anyone who wants a handheld PC would buy anything but the Steam Deck, especially with the OLED. Yea, they offer somewhat better performance but at tremendous costs in battery and usability. If anyone expects MSI to make a better device than Asus or Lenovo, lol.

Xyphie

I really hope one of these handhelds normalizes eGPUs eventually. The CPUs in all these handhelds (except the Steam Deck) is really good enough to replace a mainstream gaming computer with e.g. a R5 7600/14600K if only you had access to a external GPU. Would be a huge win for handheld/laptop gaming.

Last edited:
Up to 32 Gig of memory?
This reminds me of China phone makers putting obscene amounts of memory in their cell phones because more is better in marketing.
Memory prices shot up because of this waste. The phones were not even using it.

skyfall

I don't understand why anyone who wants a handheld PC would buy anything but the Steam Deck,
Eh I don’t know why any would buy a steam deck

It’s very underpowered compared to the competition

Has limited os- can’t use it as a windows tablet

Has very limited game compatibility, not every steam game is compatible, let alone can’t use your uplay/origin/gog/epic games

Last edited:

Shakka43

Has very limited game compatibility, not every steam game is compatible, let alone can’t use your uplay/origin/gog/epic games
Argue Seth Meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

You can.

About the asymmetrical sticks, as a symmetry advocate for controllers I actually think asymmetrical works better for big handhelds like these, unless they go for a uniform style like the Steam Deck. For smaller handhelds like Switch and below I would go for symmetrical all the way.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Kinda ugly imo

Details on the processor:

That extra power comes at the cost of battery life. I had the Rog Ally and yes, it is more powerful, but I basically had an hour of gameplay at a time. Not ideal.

Linux is not a limited OS. Why in the world would anyone use a gaming handheld as a tablet? Just buy a tablet.

As Shakka43 Shakka43 pointed out, you are wrong about not being able to play games from other launchers. The exception is games from the Windows store and Game Pass. You would have to use streaming for those, which you can. But most are going to be playing games from the Steam library and that works very well.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Someone needs to up the game. Seems each of these systems are just small improvements. The only benefit of this system is 32gb ram. The intel processor probably isn’t as efficient as the AMD cpus and the gpu is going to be hampering probably.

Topher

Gold Member
Nah. ive had them all mate, they are trash, utter gutter level experiences.

Explain what you mean by "gutter level experience". Just saying they are "trash" doesn't really mean much.

Someone needs to up the game. Seems each of these systems are just small improvements. The only benefit of this system is 32gb ram. The intel processor probably isn’t as efficient as the AMD cpus and the gpu is going to be hampering probably.

Isn't 32 GB RAM overkill for a handheld?

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
I don't understand why anyone who wants a handheld PC would buy anything but the Steam Deck, especially with the OLED. Yea, they offer somewhat better performance but at tremendous costs in battery and usability. If anyone expects MSI to make a better device than Asus or Lenovo, lol.

Probably, but the Steam isn't being sold here, and is weaker than the Z1 Extreme.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Probably, but the Steam isn't being sold here, and is weaker than the Z1 Extreme.
not sure why people are coming at me with “but muh power” when I addressed that in my post. If you want power buy a laptop or a desktop. By getting marginally more power with one of these other devices you’re getting a worse handheld experience, dodgy software like the armor crate shit, using an OS that is not designed for this form factor, etc. as a handheld device, Steam Deck is just unquestionably superior and Valve/community is putting a lot of resources into it, software, compatibility, etc. it’s just a much better handheld device.

Topher

Gold Member

Power has been addressed, but yeah.....if it ain't available in Norway then your options are limited to the Windows handhelds. Personally, I'm looking forward to Valve releasing Steam OS for other manufacturers to use. Would be nice if companies like Asus, MSI and Lenovo offered either Steam or Windows as a choice.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Power has been addressed, but yeah.....if it ain't available in Norway then your options are limited to the Windows handhelds. Personally, I'm looking forward to Valve releasing Steam OS for other manufacturers to use. Would be nice if companies like Asus, MSI and Lenovo offered either Steam or Windows as a choice.
But how do Power intend to replace parts on these things?

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Explain what you mean by "gutter level experience". Just saying they are "trash" doesn't really mean much.

Isn't 32 GB RAM overkill for a handheld?
Not if your maxing out the gpu with 8 or more gb for ram! Most handhelds start at 4gb which hampers the gpu in modern games.

Zathalus

Asymmetrical vs symmetrical is a silly argument anyway. Symmetrical is obviously superior, just not on PlayStation. Wii U did it best, the sticks both need to be at the top. Steam Deck gets this right as well.

Topher

Gold Member
Asymmetrical vs symmetrical is a silly argument anyway. Symmetrical is obviously superior, just not on PlayStation. Wii U did it best, the sticks both need to be at the top. Steam Deck gets this right as well.

I move between symmetrical and asymmetrical between Xbox controller -> Dualsense -> 8bitdo Ultimate -> Steam Deck all the time and never blink an eye. I don't think any are "obviously superior". Some just prefer one layout over the other.

Calverz

I move between symmetrical and asymmetrical between Xbox controller -> Dualsense -> 8bitdo Ultimate -> Steam Deck all the time and never blink an eye. I don't think any are "obviously superior". Some just prefer one layout over the other.
You just adjust to whatever you play. Personally I prefer asymmetrical and the vast majority of the market has adopted asymmetrical sticks. PlayStation probably would be asymmetrical by now but the symmetrical sticks are kind of part of their identity now I think. Neither are superior.

Zathalus

Oh I have no issues either, it's just the the majority of arguments for either boil down to the following:

Asymmetrical is better because your thumb for movement is in a more natural position.
Symmetrical is better because both thumbs are in the same place and is this more comfortable.

Top placed symmetrical sticks satisfy both of the above requirements.

Personally I can use anything. Just making fun of the argument.

Topher

Gold Member
Supposed spec leaked

Are those two clusters the cores for the CPU and GPU? No...that's not right.

Z1 ExtremeIntel Core Ultra 7
CPU Cores/Threads8/1616/22
Base Clock3.3 GHz3.8 GHz
Boost Clock5.1 GHz4.78 GHz
GPU Cores128
L2 Cache8MB2MBx2
L3 Cache16MB24MB

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
As a recent Steam Deck owner I’m a fan of the form factor. It‘s good that technology is allowing more manufacturers into that space.
The more people gaming the better.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Are those two clusters the cores for the CPU and GPU? No...that's not right.

Z1 ExtremeIntel Core Ultra 7
CPU Cores/Threads8/1616/22
Base Clock3.3 GHz3.8 GHz
Boost Clock5.1 GHz4.78 GHz
GPU Cores128
L2 Cache8MB2MBx2
L3 Cache16MB24MB

GPU and power consumption are the key

Gamezone

Gold Member
I remember making a thread asking if the Steam Deck would get more competitors because of its popularity, but most users said "no, it's a niche market", yet here we are. The Rog Ally, Steam Deck (with OLED too), Legion GO and MSI Claw. I wonder why all these manufacturers suddenly decided to create their own handhelds so close to each other. They had all time in the world, and now they're all making them.

Calverz

Last edited:

Zathalus

That battery should allow it to have a battery life comparable to the Steam Deck OLED in 15w mode. It also appears to use a similar screen to the ROG Ally.

Cyberpunkd

It has the largest and most user-friendly compatibility out of all handhelds. Way fewer games are compatible for ROG and Legion, etc. since so many require you fiddling with the command prompt settings, etc. Steamdeck is as close to plug&play as you can get.

Hohenheim

I had the Rog Ally, and replaced it with the Legion Go - which is perfect for me. Nothing in this makes me feel like another change is needed for me, but very cool that more companies embrace the handheld PC.
In 2-3 years the new versions of these will be amazing.
Such a great companion for a good desktop PC.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
It has the largest and most user-friendly compatibility out of all handhelds. Way fewer games are compatible for ROG and Legion, etc. since so many require you fiddling with the command prompt settings, etc. Steamdeck is as close to plug&play as you can get.

Eh. Not quite true. The deck loses out on the compatibility front (some of the biggest PC games aren’t even compatible) and certainly is the weakest of the three performance and emulation wise.

It definitely excels in battery and ease of use. My Deck OLED has a fantastic display too.

Looking forward to seeing more performance tests from near final builds of this MSI device. Competition is great, and Intel brings a new variable to the table. Thankfully they went with a big battery compared to the competition.

Looks like a better, more ergonomic ROG Ally to me…with a working SD card slot.

Top Bottom