• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MSI to launch gaming handheld device at CES 2024

Bernoulli

M2 slut

MSI has strongly hinted that it will soon announce its first gaming handheld. Arriving in the wake of the ASUS ROG Ally and the Lenovo Legion Go, the unnamed device appears to eschew an AMD Ryzen APU for an Intel processor, like from the latter's new Metor Lake and Core Ultra

MSI has begun teasing a new product segment for itself on social media. While the company has only provided three device shots so far, the first points to it being a gaming handheld, which it describes as a 'new breed of MSI Dragon'. Meanwhile, the other two images show the device's back panel and top edge, which MSI will adorn with its logo and 'TRUE GAMING' branding, respectively.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Intel huh?

the-rock-hmm.gif

Comandr

Haven’t we been hearing that the latest mobile intel processors are mostly worse performing than 7840u? Unless there is a custom processor I thought AMD’s offering was basically as good as it gets right now for that TPD.

Papa_Wisdom

I’ve had a joint and I got really excited only to realise I had msi confused with evga in my stoned brain and got sad again.

Calverz

Very interested. I'm done with steam deck and the ally and legion go arent quite meeting my expectations. Hopefully this does.

yurinka

Yes, it's a handheld for people with distorted, deformed assymetrical hands.

MbyuVVrg7u1C.png

Everyone want’s a piece of that Switch pie except for one, guess who?

All these new handhelds are handheld pcs instead of handheld consoles, so maybe someone who realized that there's only market for a single portable console nowadays and prefers to give Nintendo that market in exchange of keeping Nintendo away from the (high end) home consoles market.

Who knows, maybe after they release their own PC store they also would release their own PC handheld.

Last edited:

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Stop it with the asymmetrical sticks and the pointless RGB crap.
YES THANK YOU! I can count with a single hand the amount of portable PCs that have released with symmetrical sticks in the past two years but companies keep releasing these huge brick size RGB monstrosities with asymmetrical sticks instead and this one doesn't seem to be any better then the rest.

Also an Intel chip? What a terrible choice if this is a Meteor Lake than this device is scuffed out of the gate.
Haven’t we been hearing that the latest mobile intel processors are mostly worse performing than 7840u? Unless there is a custom processor I thought AMD’s offering was basically as good as it gets right now for that TPD.
Yes you are correct The Phawx put out a video two weeks ago explaining why Intel chips going forward are not the way to go for portable PCs:

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Stop it with the asymmetrical sticks and the pointless RGB crap.
And focusing on creating the most poweful device everTM. It'll end up like Legion - super loud and with a battery that lasts less than 2 hours with demanding games.

I actually like what Valve has done with the OLED model. They've made their device more handheld by keeping the specs reasonable, decreasing the fan noise, increasing the battery life and lowering the consumption.

//DEVIL//

Probably not i dunno. Nvidia if I am not mistaken doesn't have an X86 license. but wasn't the Switch based on X86 ?

Edit: I think the first switch was based on ARM. so the second probably isn't either. I Guess rodrigolfp rodrigolfp is correct. probably never. ...

well.. back to sleep. these handhelds are not fun. ill stick to the Switch 2 then.

Last edited:
I’m excited for the next Nintendo hybrid. For anything else third-party for higher-end games I’ve got Steam Deck. I don’t see the selling point for another manufacturer to crowd that market. Steam Deck is pretty incredible

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
If this has the power of at least an Xbox Series S then I might consider it.

What I want is a handheld that can run a native version of Total War: Warhammer 3 at max 4K settings. Now that would make me part with my money 💰💰

Klosshufvud

Intel is going to be terrible. Their iGPUs are vastly outclassed by AMD's. I have no idea who the target audience will be.

Topher

Gold Member
Intel is going to be terrible. Their iGPUs are vastly outclassed by AMD's. I have no idea who the target audience will be.

Well.....if this thing sucks as bad as you think then it better be plenty cheap. Is it possible Intel is using this to introduce an upgrade to their iGPUs?

iHaunter

Yes, it's a handheld for people with distorted, deformed assymetrical hands.

MbyuVVrg7u1C.png

All these new handhelds are handheld pcs instead of handheld consoles, so maybe someone who realized that there's only market for a single portable console nowadays and prefers to give Nintendo that market in exchange of keeping Nintendo away from the (high end) home consoles market.

Who knows, maybe after they release their own PC store they also would release their own PC handheld.
If I see another god damn RGB-ridden handheld I'm going to fucking lose it.

200.gif

Hugare

The Windows handheld market is getting oversaturated really fast

I'm curious to know what they will being new to the table. I'm betting on yet another giant RGB device that is terribly overpriced.

Holammer

BattleMage looks promising and they want a piece of AMDs pie, they will improve. I expect them to eventually compete for SoC services to big players like Sony and MS once they get their shit together. Once Valve does a console form factor 'console' with SteamOS and everyone copies the concept, there will be plenty of demand.

If they're already doing one for MSI, it might happen even sooner than I expected.

Chiggs

Last edited:

Holammer

I hope Asus handheld was a lesson learned..

Stats on paper doesn’t mean much when the software and OS handshake sucks.

I need a freaking deck 2…

This never saw any discussion on GAF? Valve talks about making SteamOS available for other handhelds before laptop & desktop.

StereoVsn

The Phawx recently did a video on Meteor Lake and it doesn’t seem suitable for handhelds as such. It’s going to be interesting to see what MSI comes up with and at what price.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
If this thing thing doesn't have a deep discount for going with a significantly weaker Intel processor then I seriously don't recommenced anyone from buying this thing but just in case your out of the loop this device is supposed to be coming with a Intel Core Ultra 7 155H but the issue is that not only is it 28% weaker then the AMD Ryzen 7 7840U found is other devices that are out right now like the ROG ALLY but this Intel Chip also does poorly in low TDP scenarios so it's not really suitable for portable PCs

Either way the renders have been leaked in case anyone is interesting in knowing how this thing looks.

MSI's Claw sounds like a weird device name...

mLZszWbpCbuilqqPB6iOzMPJDIsfGZA0_euOR0wodkxTbseEwPkwmsTpgXSFJVAxKre0BlMO8FatDh0=s683-nd-v1

Last edited:

Holammer

If this thing thing doesn't have a deep discount for going with a significantly weaker Intel processor then I seriously don't recommenced anyone from buying this thing but just in case your out of the loop this device is supposed to be coming with a Intel Core Ultra 7 155H but the issue is that not only is it 28% weaker then the AMD Ryzen 7 7840U found is other devices that are out right now like the ROG ALLY but this Intel Chip also does poorly in low TDP scenarios so it's not really suitable for portable PCs

Either way the renders have been leaked in case anyone is interesting in knowing how this thing looks.

MSI's Claw sounds like a weird device name...

mLZszWbpCbuilqqPB6iOzMPJDIsfGZA0_euOR0wodkxTbseEwPkwmsTpgXSFJVAxKre0BlMO8FatDh0=s683-nd-v1
The name is weirdly appropriate because you hands turn into claws playing handhelds.
Seems like they're sweetening the deal with 49$ steam credit on that deal? Anyone read Chinese?

80ead24c3c6edc52a6d80f20d0595198.jpg

Xion_Stellar

What a terrible chip to use. Even at 28w (massive for a handheld) the AMD equivalent outperforms it in every metric. I can only assume Intel offered MSI a really good deal to make this.
The only way I could rationalize this is that Intel approached MSI with a discount before they were made completely aware of the specs of the chip and now they are too bought in to pull out.

The name is weirdly appropriate because you hands turn into claws playing handhelds.
Seems like they're sweetening the deal with 49$ steam credit on that deal? Anyone read Chinese?

80ead24c3c6edc52a6d80f20d0595198.jpg
You ever played Monster Hunter on the PSP? That's what "The Claw" means to me

tumblr_ltytjoVU0S1r5n0t0o1_500.png

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Just a waste of time. Another PC component maker trying to get a slice of the pie, not realizing that there’s more to a handheld than just specs.

Top Bottom