• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ms. Marvel I OT I How does it feel? Cosmic!

Kinda bad, took me 2 days only for the first episode and not sure if I go in for second one….

Maybe because I was watching the boys at the same time and well. The boys is just perfect.

Ulysses 31

the alternate version is the one spammed in Islamophobic propaganda, Institutions like The Azhar and Muslim World League have debunked them. and even explained exactly how the cultists spun the meaning, and the point of history this started. check their extensive work to balance your perspective.
Not sure of what alternate versions you speak off, I limit to what's directly written in the Quran and not any good/bad interpretation of it.
They are not happening.
There's videos of women being stoned for adultery, it does happen unfortunately. CNN has one for example.
The law in Saudi and Pakistan doesn't. people who try to take the law in their own hands in Saudi are prosecuted, and defemination laws are stronger and easier to prove so people don't go around accusing others in the 1st place.
Amnesty International UK has reported it happening in Saudi Arabia. So far you have not provided anything to show that stoning/amputations don't happen at all.
The recognized government of Afghanistan didn't do it, but then the Taliban took over, they are not recognized by Muslim nations until they adopt the commitments of the previous government.
I get that they don't represent the faith for all believers.

Amiga

There's videos of women being stoned for adultery, it does happen unfortunately. CNN has one for example.
Afghanistan in 2015? why didn't you cite it was about that country and the Taliban?

Amnesty International UK has reported it happening in Saudi Arabia.
Claims from 2011, and it didn't happen.

So far you have not provided anything to show that stoning/amputations don't happen at all.
I have to prove something didn't happen?:messenger_expressionless:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Oh hey look a TV show about a little girl with super powers but because she's Muslim a bunch of assholes get to come out and keep being bigoted weeeeee

I'd rather talk about good comic runs, Easter eggs and the pretty acting and heart this show has.

Like I said, and amazingly some YouTubers echoed this, it's like a John Hughes TV show with superheroes and Scott Pilgrim mixed in.

I'd rather talk about good comic runs, Easter eggs and the pretty acting and heart this show has.

Like I said, and amazingly some YouTubers echoed this, it's like a John Hughes TV show with superheroes and Scott Pilgrim mixed in.
The show is just not for me. Not because I found the show woke, I just found it boring. It's not just aimed at me, which is fine

I totally get you.

Also that's how I'm feeling nowadays towards shows/movies aimed at the younger crowd. I have the same problem with Superman And Lois. I just find it boring and don't care about the Sons problems at all. I'm in my late 30s, so I think my age is a factor for me enjoying these shows lol

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I hope some of you guys & gals enjoy this but after seeing the trailer I KNOW I'm not the target audience 😊

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Also that's how I'm feeling nowadays towards shows/movies aimed at the younger crowd. I have the same problem with Superman And Lois. I just find it boring and don't care about the Sons problems at all. I'm in my late 30s, so I think my age is a factor for me enjoying these shows lol

I'm in my late 40s but I have the opposite reaction... Sorta. Same feeling about the super-sons but I ENJOYED Ms. Marvel. I love the whimsey and sense of wonder with the title character. I love the focus on family and friends.

Both shows touch on some of the same themes but have different ways of doing it.

Ulysses 31

Afghanistan in 2015? why didn't you cite it was about that country and the Taliban?
My original claim is that it's happening.
Claims from 2011, and it didn't happen.
As in those 6 men got that sentence overturned or those amputations were never carried out? Both are still a far cry from showing amputations don't happen at all.

Let's see you back it up.
You can at least try to show something that indicate stoning and amputations never happen.

Or show that those big publications lie about such reportings.

nkarafo

I entered this thread expecting to see discussions about heroes who wear spandex, not religion.
Well, the appeal of this character is that she is a non-white muslim girl. That's the only thing they are focusing to promote the character. I had to search around myself to find what her super powers are, only to find some crappy afterthought idea nobody cares about.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Well, the appeal of this character is that she is a non-white muslim girl. That's the only thing they are focusing to promote the character. I had to search around myself to find what her super powers are, only to find some crappy afterthought idea nobody cares about.

One line about her being from Jersey and brown. One line in the whole episode! How are you getting all this stuff that wasn't a focus whatsoever?!

And her appeal is that she's a teen girl who is relatable to a lot of people. She's a geek and a fan and she's a somewhat outsider.

WTF @ your post?!?!

Doom85

What? None of the ads focused on that.

No no, we clearly hallucinated:

-a mean girl mocking her Avengers shirt
-her tendency to daydream
-her happily freaking out about getting powers
-her having to keep her identity a secret

etc.

But what would I know about the appeal of the character (for me, it’s her having trouble “fitting in”, having some uncertainty about herself, and being a nerd, all things I can relate to during those years of my life as well, granted the last bit still applies, LOL), I mean I only read the first 50 issues of her comic, so I’m clearly ignorant about this character.

nkarafo

What? None of the ads focused on that.
One line about her being from Jersey and brown. One line in the whole episode! How are you getting all this stuff that wasn't a focus whatsoever?!

And her appeal is that she's a teen girl who is relatable to a lot of people. She's a geek and a fan and she's a somewhat outsider.

WTF @ your post?!?!

Look, i don't give a shit about Marvel or DC or superheroes in general. I don't read their comics or watch their movies and shows.

But i do have a facebook account and surf around the internet. For a few days i was spammed with Ms Marvel ads or suggested/promoted articles about her. And most of them would focus on "the first muslim superhero" or something close to that. I must have blocked more than 20 accounts that spammed me that shit.

Anyway, like i said. i don't give a shit about superheroes and i don't actively try to find information about them. Yet, i know this one is a muslim. Why do i know that? I don't think i know the religion of any other superhero tbh. It's usually things like Batman being rich, has no parents and he uses gadgets, Spiderman was bitten by a radioactive spider that gave him powers, Magneto can manipulate anything metal, etc. But Ms Marvel? All i know is that she is muslim. And before you ask me what i'm doing in this thread since i don't care, i wanted to see if the discussion will be focused on religion and what do you know.

Last edited:

Amiga

My original claim is that it's happening.
You were talking to yourself and ignored my statement, I already pointed out the Taliban and said they are isolated by Muslim nations for exactly what they do. And how actual institutions of Muslim scholars methodically combat the ideology of groups like the Taliban. But you ignore that repeatedly used the Taliban to paint them as the the reference for the religion. people from Malaysia to Morocco shouldn't have to explain Afghanistan.

As in those 6 men got that sentence overturned or those amputations were never carried out? Both are still a far cry from showing amputations don't happen at all.

Let's see you back it up.
The burden of proof is on you. you made the claims and brought in a false witness.
There was no such sentence and nothing to carry out. False claims like these are frequent because there is no penal code. These organizations exploit that to claim any precedent in the past 14 centuries could be applied. and ignore the actual procedure of the legal system.

You can at least try to show something that indicate stoning and amputations never happen.

..those amputations were never carried out? Both are still a far cry from showing amputations don't happen at all.
My English is not good enough to understand this, I'm sorry.

Or show that those big publications lie about such reportings.
That they didn't happen is proof. check their long years of claims and their reporting on the outcomes.

But of course.

This only happens when the characters aren't straight, white and male.

Smh

Only woke people think like that.

So why am I not surprised that you are the prime target audience for this show?

Romaticizing Islam is a f*cking dumb Idea, even by Marvel standards.

Last edited:

Doom85

Well, you can't virtue signal with straight, white male characters. So it makes sense you don't see it.

Staring Ice Cube GIF

Bruh, you flat out admitted you don‘t read or watch any of these comics or shows. You are basing your entire argument on some random ass ads (that we have no visual proof of, versus the trailer on Youtube EVERYONE can see) versus those who have actually read the comics and/or watched the show. You do realize how nuts that sounds, right?

You trying to argue about this makes about as much sense of a guy trying to argue against a major anime fan when the first guy‘s anime knowledge is limited to Dragonball Z is about some guy named Goku who can fight really well and Pokémon is about catching monsters.

trump donald GIF

Also, LMAO if you think straight, white male characters can’t be used to push an agenda. But hey, maybe YOU are the one not seeing things.

Doom85

Normal New Jersey teenager who has very strict traditional parents wants to go to an Avengers convention and cosplay with their best friend...VIRTUE SIGNALING!!!!!!! WOKE TRASH!!!! DISNEY FLOP!!!!!

Man, imagine if LOST first aired today. A Muslim guy, two Koreans (South, but some would stereotype against them anyway), a Hispanic guy (who’s also overweight, oh boy), a black guy and his son, and an elderly black lady. Oh boy, CLEARLY this show is all “woke” and “SJW”!

Sure, it’s possible that the show might have a theme about people from all walks of life coming together to survive against unforgiving elements and other potential threats, but nah, CLEARLY it’s all about that agenda, baby!

ManaByte

Man, imagine if LOST first aired today. A Muslim guy, two Koreans (South, but some would stereotype against them anyway), a Hispanic guy (who’s also overweight, oh boy), a black guy and his son, and an elderly black lady. Oh boy, CLEARLY this show is all “woke” and “SJW”!

Sure, it’s possible that the show might have a theme about people from all walks of life coming together to survive against unforgiving elements and other potential threats, but nah, CLEARLY it’s all about that agenda, baby!

I've watched the episode twice and I'm struggling to find this woke virtue signaling Muslim propaganda people are claiming in this thread. Literally the only thing "religious" in the show is her older brother and it's almost played off as comedic relief because he's so completely different from Kamala.

Turnt

I've watched the episode twice and I'm struggling to find this woke virtue signaling Muslim propaganda people are claiming in this thread. Literally the only thing "religious" in the show is her older brother and it's almost played off as comedic relief because he's so completely different from Kamala.
I hear that in this week’s episode Kamala is going to look directly into the camera and say "I endorse the stoning of adulterers"

Ulysses 31

You were talking to yourself and ignored my statement, I already pointed out the Taliban and said they are isolated by Muslim nations for exactly what they do. And how actual institutions of Muslim scholars methodically combat the ideology of groups like the Taliban.
You were ignoring the original claim I made and I was reminding you.

Wiki page on Stoning has some modern examples of non Taliban doing the stoning. So saying stoning doesn't happen is silly.
But you ignore that repeatedly used the Taliban to paint them as the the reference for the religion. people from Malaysia to Morocco shouldn't have to explain Afghanistan.
Nope, that's how you see it in your mind. I never said the Taliban represents mainstream Islam or that other countries have to answer for what they do.
They don't.

You're the one who brought up the Taliban specifically.
The burden of proof is on you. you made the claims and brought in a false witness.
There was no such sentence and nothing to carry out. False claims like these are frequent because there is no penal code. These organizations exploit that to claim any precedent in the past 14 centuries could be applied. and ignore the actual procedure of the legal system.
Amnesty International saying it happens hold more weight to me than you just saying it doesn't happen.

If they lie about such things then you can make then look very bad if you show that they lied/misreported.
Saying something didn't happen is proof? 😬
My English is not good enough to understand this, I'm sorry.
That the amputations were not performed and that the sentences of these 6 men got changed into something else.
That they didn't happen is proof. check their long years of claims and their reporting on the outcomes.
Show me they misreported about those 6 men and I will reconsider taking them at their word in the future. But it changes nothing for my claim that stoning and amputations still happen in some parts of the world.

sol_bad

Where in these trailers do they promote that she is a non-white muslim girl?

The three trailers give you a fairly decent idea on what her powers are as well.

Last edited:

ManaByte

I’m still wondering who the villain is going to be I’m not familiar with ms marvel villains.
They’re using a group that isn’t really a Ms. Marvel villain. It’s actually more of a X-Men villain.

Top Bottom