• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ms. Marvel I OT I How does it feel? Cosmic!

I agree her religion doesn't bother me at all. I'm really enjoying the show. I hope they can keep the quality consistent during all 6 episodes
Yeah. Regardless this show isn't made for me it seems more like it's me for small girls. I think that's the main target audience here regardless of her religion.

Besides, I already have a Marvel franchise that "for me" so to speak and that would be Doctor Strange because I love anything to do with mages and magic and other dimensions.

The only other MCU movies or shows that I give a crap about would be more Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy and Blade.

I really hope the Blade actor can to pull off what Wesley Snipes did. He was absolutely perfect.

Last edited:
Yeah. Regardless this show isn't made for me it seems more like it's me for small girls. I think that's the main target audience here regardless of her religion.

Besides, I already have a Marvel franchise that "for me" so to speak and that would be Doctor Strange because I love anything to do with mages and magic and other dimensions.

The only other MCU movies or shows that I give a crap about would be more Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy and Blade.

I really hope the Blade actor can to pull off what Wesley Snipes did. He was absolutely perfect.
MCU wise it's Doctor Strange and Thor for me. I'm still waiting to see how the Mutants are in the MCU. I hope the Blade movie turns out great, they got a great actor

MCU wise it's Doctor Strange and Thor for me. I'm still waiting to see how the Mutants are in the MCU. I hope the Blade movie turns out great, they got a great actor
I think Blade is going to be a streaming series and not a movie? Hopefully I'm wrong and it's a movie because I'd rather have that. There would be less production value as a series.

I have been a Doctor Strange fan since I was a kid so I was extremely excited when the first movie came out and was very impressed how much they kept to the comics with a few exceptions.

Edit: I still haven't seen Multiverse of Madness so I'm looking forward to this Wednesday.

Last edited:
I think Blade is going to be a streaming series and not a movie? Hopefully I'm wrong and it's a movie because I'd rather have that. There would be less production value as a series.

I have been a Doctor Strange fan since I was a kid so I was extremely excited when the first movie came out and was very impressed how much they kept to the comics with a few exceptions.

Edit: I still haven't seen Multiverse of Madness so I'm looking forward to this Wednesday.
Multiverse of Madness is the best thing to come out of Phase 4

Yeah, I edited my post above to mention I still haven't seen it so I'm looking forward to this Wednesday when it shows up on Disney Plus.

Overall Rankings of Phase 4

Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness: A+
Loki: B+
Moon Knight: B+
Hawkeye: B+
Eternals: B+
Shang-Chi: B
WandaVision: C
What If?: C
Spider-Man No Way Home: D
Falcon And The Winter Soldier: D
Black Widow: D

sol_bad

I do wonder what their comic business model is these days. Manga seems to sell well as long as the stories are entertaining enough.

I knew exactly where your argument would go, straight to manga. Putting Marvel super heroes into manga format will not automatically make them sell more copies. I've had this argument a million times, they are 2 very different markets in the west. When manga was released in the west in it's single issue format it basically failed and no longer exists in that format physically. It's collected edition format does extremely well due to it's low cost to make and sell in comparison to comics. What would teenagers prefer to spend their money on, $10 for over 120 pages of story and action or $5 on 22 pages of story?

I think Ms Marvel got rebooted before she could attain A tier status each and every time.

The first time her title was rebooted was at the end of the Secret Wars event in 2015 and that was basically line wide including Thor, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Deadpool and GOTG even though the books still had all the same authors. The second time her book was rebooted was when a new author came on board by the name of Saladin Ahmed in 2019, it's quite common to reboot to #1 when a new writer comes on board. Currently she was/is in a 5 issue mini series written by Samira Ahmed, she is new to comics.

Ulysses 31

I knew exactly where your argument would go, straight to manga. Putting Marvel super heroes into manga format will not automatically make them sell more copies. I've had this argument a million times, they are 2 very different markets in the west. When manga was released in the west in it's single issue format it basically failed and no longer exists in that format physically. It's collected edition format does extremely well due to it's low cost to make and sell in comparison to comics. What would teenagers prefer to spend their money on, $10 for over 120 pages of story and action or $5 on 22 pages of story?
Huh? When people mention manga selling better it's usually because those stories don't pander to the woke crowd unlike a like lot of Marvel and DC comics seem to do. Simply changing the drawing style to manga form wouldn't improve sales when kept with the bad/uninteresting writing.
The first time her title was rebooted was at the end of the Secret Wars event in 2015 and that was basically line wide including Thor, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Deadpool and GOTG even though the books still had all the same authors. The second time her book was rebooted was when a new author came on board by the name of Saladin Ahmed in 2019, it's quite common to reboot to #1 when a new writer comes on board. Currently she was/is in a 5 issue mini series written by Samira Ahmed, she is new to comics.
So it's a character that still needs to find mainstream success after several attempts.

Huh? When people mention manga selling better it's usually because those stories don't pander to the woke crowd unlike a like lot of Marvel and DC comics seem to do. Simply changing the drawing style to manga form wouldn't improve sales when kept with the bad/uninteresting writing.

So it's a character that still needs to find mainstream success after several attempts.
What I find funny is that My Hero Academia is a superhero comic in manga form and the argument is that Marvel and DC wouldn't do great in manga form? They aren't right now due to the constant woke and feminazi narrative pushing they do in their comics. My Hero Academia is super popular and sold millions of copies. My Hero Academia is way more popular than Marvel and DC due to how they don't pander to the woke/feminazi Mob. There's actually interesting characters, with great plot. Not to mention sexy female characters since it's a Shonen which is aimed at teenage boys. And doesn't lecture them

Last edited:

sol_bad

No, there is zero proof that manga sells better because it is not "woke", it's just what your favorite Youtube channels sell to try and make western comics look bad. Fact is western comics are not woke as a whole, there are certainly "woke" stories to be found but they are few and far between

And are you listening to what I'm writing? Even A tier characters with mainstream success have reboots and mini series. Hell, at the moment, Deadpool, one of Marvels most popular characters doesn't even have a comic right now.

Ulysses 31

No, there is zero proof that manga sells better because it is not "woke", it's just what your favorite Youtube channels sell to try and make western comics look bad. Fact is western comics are not woke as a whole, there are certainly "woke" stories to be found but they are few and far between
When something sells better in capitalism it's usually because there's more demand for it. You think manga being cheaper is the main factor that's causing it to sell multitudes more than comics? I think Demon Hunter alone (almost?) outsold all western comics at one point.
And are you listening to what I'm writing? Even A tier characters with mainstream success have reboots and mini series. Hell, at the moment, Deadpool, one of Marvels most popular characters doesn't even have a comic right now.
Ms Marvel was never considered A tier to my knowledge so the comparison is questionable IMO.

Right now Marvel is coming across a bit as try hard with pushing this character.

When something sells better in capitalism it's usually because there's more demand for it. You think manga being cheaper is the main factor that's causing it to sell multitudes more than comics? I think Demon Hunter alone (almost?) outsold all western comics at one point.

Ms Marvel was never considered A tier to my knowledge so the comparison is questionable IMO.

Right now Marvel is coming across a bit as try hard with pushing this character.
It's called Demon Slayer :p

sol_bad

"That said, even the 15 million figure from The Beat's limited-scope analysis is a lower amount than Oricon's reported sales figures for Demon Slayer in 2019: 12 million copies. That figure is also disputed; publisher Shueisha reported that the manga sold 10.8 million volumes that year. So Demon Slayer clearly didn't outsell the American comics industry in the same frame of time. By conflating Demon Slayer's lifetime circulation numbers with yearly sales and stacking them against partial sales numbers in the American market for 2019, the numbers provided in Matrix's article paint a misleading picture."

Also, everyone that reads comics knows that the single issue market is dying, it's too expensive as I already stated. But looking at collected editions, you'll see that manga doesn't dominate as much as you expect it to. Just look at Comichron sales from January, the graphic novel section.

Also, look at August last year.
Unless I'm reading it wrong, the final volume of Demon Slayer sold 5086 copies. Look how many single issue comics sold more than that. At least 260 books.
Am I reading this wrong?

The start of the article very clearly says:
"Image joined the ranks of comics publishers with half-million copy sellers in the 21st Century as King Spawn #1 had shipments to North America of 480,000 copies."
And looking at the single issue sales you see:
11King Spawn1$5.9908/25/21Image479,908

Mean while Demon Slayer says:
735Demon Slayer Kimetsu No Yaiba Vol. 23$9.9908/04/21Viz5,086

*EDIT*
I am reading it wrong, Comichron only tracks sales to the direct market, meaning comic shops only?
How do you find sales numbers for book stores?

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

"That said, even the 15 million figure from The Beat's limited-scope analysis is a lower amount than Oricon's reported sales figures for Demon Slayer in 2019: 12 million copies. That figure is also disputed; publisher Shueisha reported that the manga sold 10.8 million volumes that year. So Demon Slayer clearly didn't outsell the American comics industry in the same frame of time. By conflating Demon Slayer's lifetime circulation numbers with yearly sales and stacking them against partial sales numbers in the American market for 2019, the numbers provided in Matrix's article paint a misleading picture."

Also, everyone that reads comics knows that the single issue market is dying, it's too expensive as I already stated. But looking at collected editions, you'll see that manga doesn't dominate as much as you expect it to. Just look at Comichron sales from January, the graphic novel section.

Also, look at August last year.
Unless I'm reading it wrong, the final volume of Demon Slayer sold 5086 copies. Look how many single issue comics sold more than that. At least 260 books.
Am I reading this wrong?

The start of the article very clearly says:
"Image joined the ranks of comics publishers with half-million copy sellers in the 21st Century as King Spawn #1 had shipments to North America of 480,000 copies."
And looking at the single issue sales you see:
11King Spawn1$5.9908/25/21Image479,908

Mean while Demon Slayer says:
735Demon Slayer Kimetsu No Yaiba Vol. 23$9.9908/04/21Viz5,086
How does that change the fact that manga overall is selling way better than Marvel/DC comics? I bet Marvel/DC wish they sold as much as Demon Slayer did.

Wouldn't be a stretch to say it has something to do with the kinds of stories they're telling and the way they're being told.

How does that change the fact that manga overall is selling way better than Marvel/DC comics? I bet Marvel/DC wish they sold as much as Demon Slayer did.

Wouldn't be a stretch to say it has something to do with the kinds of stories they're telling and the way they're being told.
What I find funny is how on Twitter all these comic writers and artist call manga fans pedophiles just because we prefer our women attractive lol and not some feminazi landwhale where you don't want to see then naked lol

You can tell it's pure jealousy

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

What I find funny is how on Twitter all these comic writers and artist call manga fans pedophiles just because we prefer our women attractive lol and not some feminazi landwhale where you don't want to see then naked lol

You can tell it's pure jealousy
I see it on this site also how people with anime avatars are told they want to see 5 y.o. waifus in their games when preferring the old Tess model to the newer one in The Last of Us Part 1 Remake.

Last edited:
I see it on this site also how people with anime avatars are told they want to see 5 y.o. waifus in their games when preferring the old Tess model to the newer one in The Last of Us Part 1 Remake.

It ain't real lol

And Tess in the The Last of Us was 🥵

Too bad they made her ugly in the remake

And Musse is in top 10 waifu for me since I know you're commenting on my pfp.

Just making an observation 😜

Last edited:

sol_bad

But you probably don't even read either so wouldn't have a clue yourself. Admittedly I'm only reading Naruto, Kaiju No8, Astra Lost in Space and Ghost Reaper Girl on the manga side. And admittedly I haven't read any mang in over 3 months so my Shonen app no longer has where I am up to in my reading which is a bit annoying.

Generally manga's stories are very shallow and focus more on the action. Comics focus more on the actual story and characterisation, action is still there but it's not as prominent.

Doom85

But you probably don't even read either so wouldn't have a clue yourself. Admittedly I'm only reading Naruto, Kaiju No8, Astra Lost in Space and Ghost Reaper Girl on the manga side. And admittedly I haven't read any mang in over 3 months so my Shonen app no longer has where I am up to in my reading which is a bit annoying.

Generally manga's stories are very shallow and focus more on the action. Comics focus more on the actual story and characterisation, action is still there but it's not as prominent.

I really enjoyed the Astra Lost in Space manga . Still need to check out the anime version. Although if you got far enough, one character will definitely trigger the more sensitive among the “anti-woke” side. Which is hilarious as people constantly go, “well, thank god Japan doesn’t do this stuff!” Shows they don’t actually read/watch that many Japanese stories if they think that’s the case.

I really enjoyed the Astra Lost in Space manga . Still need to check out the anime version. Although if you got far enough, one character will definitely trigger the more sensitive among the “anti-woke” side. Which is hilarious as people constantly go, “well, thank god Japan doesn’t do this stuff!” Shows they don’t actually read/watch that many Japanese stories if they think that’s the case.
Which one will trigger the Anti Woke?

Doom85

Which one will trigger the Anti Woke?

Astra spoilers:

Luca is intersex. He identifies as boy currently though he states that could change IIRC, and he has reproductive organs of both genders. In his particular case, he was genetically engineered to be this way, but regardless the more close-minded people regarding gender would probably turn their nose up at the reveal as well. Also the parents are portrayed negatively for loving his brother far more due to being “fully male” in their eyes so you know a few people would whine about being preached to.

Astra spoilers:

Luca is intersex. He identifies as boy currently though he states that could change IIRC, and he has reproductive organs of both genders. In his particular case, he was genetically engineered to be this way, but regardless the more close-minded people regarding gender would probably turn their nose up at the reveal as well. Also the parents are portrayed negatively for loving his brother far more due to being “fully male” in their eyes so you know a few people would whine about being preached to.
Yeah that doesn't bother me

Astra spoilers:

I've seen quite a few examples of trans characters and LGBT characters and whatnot in Japanese media.

I think there's a lesbian girl actually in one of the Trails games.

I know this probably doesn't count as much but I'm pretty much as anti-woke as they come and I used to go in a fishnet shirt and I think once or twice in a Black dress to my local goth club back in the 90s.... And I'd still do that, dammit! I miss those days.

Edit: the Trails character I'm referencing is Angelica.

https://kiseki.fandom.com/wiki/Angelica_Rogner

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
So months ago it leaked that Kamala’s MCU powers were from her being a genie/djinn.

When that happened the fascist woke Twitter gatekeepers shouted down the rumor and claimed anyone spreading it was an Islamophobe trying to sabotage the show.

This episode revealed the MCU Kamala is a djinn.

sol_bad

So months ago it leaked that Kamala’s MCU powers were from her being a genie/djinn.

When that happened the fascist woke Twitter gatekeepers shouted down the rumor and claimed anyone spreading it was an Islamophobe trying to sabotage the show.

This episode revealed the MCU Kamala is a djinn.

I have no idea what to expect moving forward. I haven't read about any Djinns in the comics. I really enjoyed the dance number and action scenes in this episode though.

Mossybrew

Wow the episodes just get worse. After three stinkers I think I’m out.

I watched the first episode, then half of the second and realized this is just not for me. I mean, it doesn't seem like an objectively bad show like Obi Wan, it's just made for some other demographic than myself.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I wonder what y'all mean by "I'm not the demographic for this"... Because I'm not a teenager or a girl or a Muslim nor Pakistani... And I'm enjoying this AF!

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The show is very relatable. It's very much reminding me of my childhood at times... Of my family... Of my CURRENT friends (I didn't have friends as a teen). I love the mystery and even now the bad guys.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The action scene was weird. The fight choreography was pretty cool, but everything about the camerawork was odd.

It feels like there's too many special agencies in the MCU. Every show seems to introduce a new one or two.

sol_bad

The action scene was weird. The fight choreography was pretty cool, but everything about the camerawork was odd.

It feels like there's too many special agencies in the MCU. Every show seems to introduce a new one or two.

My only issue with the action scene is the terrible and bland music that was playing. There is a lot of good music in this show but that was just beyond average.
I want to know what happens when both bracers are found and if Kamalah's powers will change. I wonder if there is some form of Terigenesis inside it.

Anyway, I'm really glad they are skipping the whole Captain Marvel usage of the braces where Mar-vell and Rick swap bodies. It was too much like Shazam and was lame in the comics.

I wonder what y'all mean by "I'm not the demographic for this"... Because I'm not a teenager or a girl or a Muslim nor Pakistani... And I'm enjoying this AF!
I am enjoying this also but episode 3 was the first one to show those usual writing and pacing issues that has plauged all of these 6 episode Disney Plus shows.

Artistically this show is gorgeous(in it's own way almost as good looking as Loki), but again and again the writing side keeps dropping the ball and it's becoming a frustrating experience to see all of this potential and hard work be squandered by bad writing over and over. Style can only get you so far over substance.

sol_bad

I am enjoying this also but episode 3 was the first one to show those usual writing and pacing issues that has plauged all of these 6 episode Disney Plus shows.

Artistically this show is gorgeous(in it's own way almost as good looking as Loki), but again and again the writing side keeps dropping the ball and it's becoming a frustrating experience to see all of this potential and hard work be squandered by bad writing over and over. Style can only get you so far over substance.

Is there anything in particular you didn't like about the writing? I can't think of any problems?

Is there anything in particular you didn't like about the writing? I can't think of any problems?
The problem is a bit two-fold, but I'll explain it the best I can.

Everything about this show that involves Kamala, her culture, her family, her school life, and their daily life is all well written and well paced. It might not be for everyone here, but it's enjoyable if you accept it's lighthearted nature. There are many times where it feels wholesome and there are a few times it reminds me of Scott Pilgrim. When they start introducing the hero aspect(specifically the villain), that's when the show's pacing goes off the rails. This episode 3 was a great example. We had just met this new cast of characters she was introduced to at the beginning of the episode and barely 15-20 minutes later(in the show it wasn't even a full day later so it's still ridiculous), with no rhyme or reason, they went full-on mustache twirlingly evil.

They could have built up to this moment of betrayal(in the Netflix-style of show like Daredevil they would have just given the villain her own full-on episode to explain everything) but by rushing through it, it makes you not care at all about them nor their motivations, even though the show was trying to paint them as sympathetic types who just want to go home. Kamala stated to them multiple times that she would rather talk things out and come to an easy conclusion. Hell, she might have given them the bracelet willingly if they had just waited after the wedding and asked nicely. But for some reason, the writers couldn't think of a way around this logical solution, so they decided an unnecessarily fast villain heel turn and unnecessary fight to the death against a bumbling self-doubting high school kid was the correct way to go.

Almost every time a Marvel show makes it past halfway through the season, it tends to fall flat on it's face and the pacing is sped up to almost maximum. It gets bad enough to the point where characters are warping around to different locations way too fast with no explanation, villains suddenly go full evil, and cameos or secondary heroes start taking up precious screen time to set up the next show. You can feel the exact moment where either the writer or the studio, or both, decided this was the moment to start messing with everything good to make sure that a formula is followed. Karli and the situation around her could have been written better. Agatha and the situation around her could have been written better. Yelena and the situation around her could have been written better. Ammit and the situation around her could have been written better. I didn't mention Loki because even though the show stumbled a tiny bit, it still stuck the landing it was supposed to stick.

The secondary issue is that Marvel keeps dipping a toe into the pool of other genres but isn't fully committing to that genre, so what you end up with is a mishmash of quality when the show suddenly goes 'oh crap we're halfway through episodes left, time to introduce the villain, insert a secondary hero, introduce the past hero, and set up a sequel' and then the writing quality dips, and dips, and dips. This show could have just been a family and teen drama about a girl who happens to have powers and is adjusting to the life of using them while trying to figure out what she really wants in life. She didn't need a villain, she doesn't need DoD or whatever government chasing after her with drones. Save that bullshit for a second season and just let us get to breathe a little and get to know Kamala and her family. If people end up hating it, so be it, but they would be sticking to their guns and they would have better overall pacing regardless. Comics take these type of chances but the studios are still so afraid to and it's sad.

This is what makes me worry about She-Hulk. I just want a show about a chick who is a lawyer in this crazed marvel world full of enhanced individuals, who just happened to gain the powers of the Hulk. It should lead to an intriguing and hilarious show(and they even market it this way), but there's that seed of doubt in my head that they're going to muck it up again with needing a strong villain for her to fight, needing a next show setup, needing this, needing that, and they'll ramp up the pacing yet again halfway through. The above poster mentioned SG, and I don't want them to make a Squirrel Girl show right now because she's supposed to be comedic. I'm too scared they'll start with comedy and then pull the rug from under everyone halfway through yet again.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The problem is a bit two-fold, but I'll explain it the best I can.

Everything about this show that involves Kamala, her culture, her family, her school life, and their daily life is all well written and well paced. It might not be for everyone here, but it's enjoyable if you accept it's lighthearted nature. There are many times where it feels wholesome and there are a few times it reminds me of Scott Pilgrim. When they start introducing the hero aspect(specifically the villain), that's when the show's pacing goes off the rails. This episode 3 was a great example. We had just met this new cast of characters she was introduced to at the beginning of the episode and barely 15-20 minutes later(in the show it wasn't even a full day later so it's still ridiculous), with no rhyme or reason, they went full-on mustache twirlingly evil.

They could have built up to this moment of betrayal(in the Netflix-style of show like Daredevil they would have just given the villain her own full-on episode to explain everything) but by rushing through it, it makes you not care at all about them nor their motivations, even though the show was trying to paint them as sympathetic types who just want to go home. Kamala stated to them multiple times that she would rather talk things out and come to an easy conclusion. Hell, she might have given them the bracelet willingly if they had just waited after the wedding and asked nicely. But for some reason, the writers couldn't think of a way around this logical solution, so they decided an unnecessarily fast villain heel turn and unnecessary fight to the death against a bumbling self-doubting high school kid was the correct way to go.

They could still be angling on redeeming those characters the same way they did with the skrulls in Captain Marvel. This Damage Control agency can step in to be the real bad guys (as far as Kamala is concerned, anyway). It would be poetic in a way. We'll see.

Top Bottom