• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately [OT] - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

NahaNago

I saw the new tmnt movie. I'd say the movie was alright. I did like the animation, but it didn't really wow me it was just simply the style of the movie. The movie felt more like an alternate world type movie rather than a remake or sequel considering all the changes they made with some of the characters. The turtles felt similar to how they normally are except maybe even younger than usual. April was still April but with a color swap and with a bit more weight. Splinter felt more like a dad rather than the grandpa or master he usually is.

I think he was supposed to have a form of autism... Or something. That's why he had all those outbursts.

Oh I know I'm on the Spectrum and some of those on the Spectrum are annoying as fuck lol

Thst's why I said he was a fantastic actor 😁

Few movies given the context rarely expose parents openly resenting their kids and I admired their guts.

Yeah I know. With my luck I know my kid would be exactly like the kid from The Babadook

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Full Metal Jacket (1987).

I'm on maybe my 5th or 6th rewatch but the first time watching with headphones.

R. Lee Ermey has been screaming so much in my ears during the first 30 minutes I finally understand why Gomer Pyle ( Vincent D'Onofrio) went nuts.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Benny and Joon, I enjoyed it.

Pinball - how the dude from GQ saved the game. That was an interesting movie too.

Last edited:

Andyliini

Predator

The ultimate 80's macho-action film still works this day, outside of the horribly dated visual effects. Most of the cast is likeable, with their different personalities and dynamics. I watched the Ultimate Hunter Edition, where the infamous DNR filter was used to "fix" the grain of the original film. It's strange how it works, some scenes are clearly waxy and misty, while some shots on the other hand are crystal clear, especially super close-up shots of faces, where all the lines and even sweat drops can easily be seen. I'm not sure if there has been a different transfer after this, haven't seen the film on D+ for example. I know there was a 3D conversion released around 10 years ago, but that reportedly went with UHE as it's base.

bender

What time is it?
The Thin Red Line (1998)

I still can't decide whether Terrence Malick is a slow storytelling genius or a boring hack with beautiful cinematography.

Deliciious slow burn or pretentious drivel.

I still don't know 😆

Only movie I ever walked out on. Me and my buddy kept looking at each other every few minutes before we gave each other the nod and then woke up our 3rd friend who had been snoring for the past half hour.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The Thin Red Line (1998)

I still can't decide whether Terrence Malick is a slow storytelling genius or a boring hack with beautiful cinematography.

I still don't know 😆

I have watched several of his movies and I don't know why. They do have some cinematography to them but they are bad movies. And wholly uninteresting. He just loves to bore people and call it art.

Thin Red Line
the one about Jamestown
The one with some spicolli and his childhood memories
the dumb one about people wringing in the fields and scamming, which people say is good, but in the end isn't.

I have tried to wipe them from my mind, but the boredom persist.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The Thin Red Line (1998)

I still don't know 😆

I was sorta disappointed after watching the movie, but I got mad at Malick after watching the special features on the Blu-Ray disc. So much content was thrown out during the editing, it was ridiculous. Everything that reeked of story telling and plot was edited out.

BTW I thought Days of Heaven was a masterpiece - and I quite liked The New World and to a lesser extent Badlands. Those movies work on mood, not story. But The Thin Red Line was based on a book that DID have a story and a plot.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Flash

Really good. I think ezra is a pos but that dude can act. The batman fighting scenes i LOVED them, more cgi than just a stiff suit swinging around. Definitely worth a watch

Muffdraul

A few weeks ago I saw a trivia blurb "The band They Might Be Giants got their name from a 1971 movie." I looked it up, short summary is George C Scott plays a mental patient who thinks he's Sherlock Holmes, and his psychotherapist just happens to have the surname Watson, played by Joanne Woodward. I eventually tracked it down and watched... it was a neat, weird, cute little old movie. F Murray Abraham's first on screen appearance and M Emmet Walsh also pops up for a bit.

I watched Paul Verhoeven's Elle. He's made some of my favorite movies, and the subject matter combined with his style sounded intriguing.

I did not enjoy my time with it. It's well-made and acted. It has that Paul Verhoeven touch where no moment is wasted--it's constantly giving you new information and subverting expectations. But I felt like I needed a shower afterwards.

I have the feeling that if it was in English instead of French, critics might've panned it, instead of it having an 89 on MetaCritic. Some of the stuff that goes down wouldn't go over so well without that level of remove due to the language barrier and the history of the French being their French selves.

GeekyDad

Watched Spotlight for a second time. Obviously, I like it. The motives of the actors is suspect, but fuck 'em. I imagine they all wanna see themselves as glorious gods we should knob gob, but I'm going off track...

Qbq7b4p.jpg

But I really appreciate the storytelling, and I think I got things from it this time around that didn't sink in the first. For instance, Crudup's character. I initially got the impression he was just a guy looking out for his own interests, and frustrated by Keaton's character because of the digging around the Spotlight team was doing. But come the end of the movie, you learn he was the one who tried to put a spotlight on the story, and Keaton was the one who glossed over it, throwing it to the back of the paper and letting the story die.

And I liked that the movie acknowedged that. It was a realistic depiction. A sad story in so many ways beside the obvious. For me, the true sadness is the "blame game" that goes on after the fact. I think there's been enough evidence throughout history to show us that that approach never leads us to a solution to such problems.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I can't get enough of this movie! This is my 3rd time watching it and I don't think it gets its just due. It's set in Chicago in the 1950s... Gang violence is at an all time high... The lead is BRILLIANT! I CANNOT HYPE THIS MOVIE ENOUGH!

Leonard is an English tailor who makes suits on London's famous Savile Row. He must outsmart a dangerous group of criminals to survive a fateful night.
Release date: March 18, 2022 (USA)
r2jCaXG.jpg

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I can't get enough of this movie! This is my 3rd time watching it and I don't think it gets its just due. It's set in Chicago in the 1950s... Gang violence is at an all time high... The lead is BRILLIANT! I CANNOT HYPE THIS MOVIE ENOUGH!

Leonard is an English tailor who makes suits on London's famous Savile Row. He must outsmart a dangerous group of criminals to survive a fateful night.
r2jCaXG.jpg

It's a clever low-budget movie that would work just as well in a theater setting. Perhaps it was even originally written as a stageplay since the whole thing takes place in just one location.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
It's a clever low-budget movie that would work just as well in a theater setting. Perhaps it was even originally written as a stageplay since the whole thing takes place in just one location.

I just looked it up. It was written as a screenplay... I find that heartening because they took a chance on this singular story. But it could DEFINITELY work as a stage play!

GeekyDad

r2jCaXG.jpg

That's exactly what it felt like to me, a perfectly compact play. Really good stuff.

Andyliini

Blue Beetle

The latest superhero film from DC is fun, yet predictable and safe flick. This was originally supposed to be direct-to-streaming film, I'm not sure if there ever was a reason given why it was given a theatrical release, but the small size of the film still shows. I had fun, but unless the character is not previously familiar, this offers nothing new or interesting to the genre.

John Marston

r2jCaXG.jpg
Oh boy you were right!
What a pleasant surprise, thank you DeafTourette DeafTourette !

I love visiting this thread 😁

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Fun fact I just found out. . The oldest daughter in the Lethal Weapon movies is only about 13 years younger than Danny Glover! And she continued playing the daughter till the last movie. She looked young as HECK until the last movie (still kinda looks young at 63!)

GeekyDad

Champions

It's totally retarded.

l4CQpNK.jpg

Take the absolute most rote screenplay in the history of films, fill it with true love and heart, give everything you have, and you have Champions. Bad movie done perfectly. I don't think I've ever cried from release laughter as much. Just beautiful. Loses some steam toward the end, but that's okay. The catharsis of coach's reaction to that last shot was on the money. Some great songs.

Best thing I've watched in...forever.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Put this one off cause I thought the trailer was crap, but seeing they just released a sequel I decided to give it a go, and it was actually pretty enjoyable.

images

John Marston

Put this one off cause I thought the trailer was crap, but seeing they just released a sequel I decided to give it a go, and it was actually pretty enjoyable.

images
I'll give it a shot thank you!

I just loved Cena in the Peacemaker series, I admit I was prejudiced because of his wrasslin' background 😊

AJUMP23

Gold Member
MEG 2. This movie is a Chinese action film that stars Jason stathom. Tons of Chinese and subtitled scenes. Movie was dumb fun. The last half is better than the first and I have no idea what the villain’s motives were.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I'll give it a shot thank you!

I just loved Cena in the Peacemaker series, I admit I was prejudiced because of his wrasslin' background 😊
Planning to watch the 2nd tonight.
It’s not the best comedy ever made, but it’s easy to watch, doesn’t overstay its welcome, and has some genuinely good laughs throughout.

BTW thanks for the gold!

John Marston

I'm about to watch "The Last Voyage of the Demeter". Was always curious about that chapter in Bram Stoker's book.

Will edit my post when done 😀

EDIT: Great casting & atmosphere. It's basically "Alien" on a ship. Could have been trimmed down about 20 minutes.

Still a definitive thumbs up 🙂

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
The Black Phone

Pretty solid thriller from Scott Derrickson, director of another disturbing horror film, Sinister. Based on a short story by Joe Hill, who if you are unfamiliar with, is Stephen King's son. I kinda loved this film. It has a good and intriguing story, that also manage to stick the landing. It's unsettling and has a weird and unique vibe to it, with supernatural elements attached to it. Ethan Hawke is top billed as a deranged kidnapper of children, and he does deliver a creepy performance, but the movie is carried by the kid in the lead role. He did a phenomenal job. It doesn't have a lot of gore, or scary scenes, but it's very well acted and well written, suspenseful and just all around entertaining, if you're into thrillers. Highly recommend.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I'm about to watch "The Last Voyage of the Demeter". Was always curious about that chapter in Bram Stoker's book.

Will edit my post when done 😀

EDIT: Great casting & atmosphere. It's basically "Alien" on a ship. Could have been trimmed down about 20 minutes.

Still a definitive thumbs up 🙂
It is on my list. Hopefully good.

VulcanRaven

The Hobbit (1977)

Made by Rankin/Bass and animated by Topcraft. I really enjoyed this. Very good art style and I liked this more than the Jackson's version. I haven't rewatched those but I can see myself watching this many times. Gollum and the Wood Elves looked odd though. :D

MV5BODlhZmQwZWMtMDVhZi00MjlkLThhZDMtNTBjNDEyNDk0M2Q5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzkyOTg1MzE@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I watched the new Spider-Verse movie over the weekend. For reference, I enjoyed the original. The first ten or so minutes of the sequel had me worried but it was a really fun ride afterwards even if it ends on "to be continued". I'm not much of a comic book robot (except Tank Girl which is the best movie ever) but this is an easy recommend for the half dozen people who haven't watched it yet.

Watched Silence for the first time over the weekend - very heavy movie. Amazing movie but one of those you’ll probably watch only once. It’s Andrew Garfield’s best performance, maybe the best for Driver too, and for some reason a really low key recent Scorcese movie. Cinematography is top notch, definitely feels Scorcese but I would say it’s different style from most of his work. Highly recommend

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Barbie. Ken was funny but I think the movie I think blames men for everything thing and says all problems are caused by men.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom