• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately [OT] - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
flash
Way better than expected, hate to say it that Ezra is a great actor. The Batman fight scenes looked great too

dorkimoe

Gold Member
RRR (2022)

The single biggest cinematic bromance since Frodo and Sam. A wildly over the top morality tale of friendship and freedom played earnestly, featuring the world’s most heroic bro on bro piggyback ride. No kissing the ladies allowed, though!

Lots of fun, thumbs up. RIP Ray Stevenson.
Best movie I’ve seen since interstellar. I absolutely loved the story and how it was told at times thru songs and I hate musicals!

MastAndo

PHdx7EB.jpg

Caught this on a whim last night and it wasn't quite what I was expecting. It's a dramedy with a much stronger emphasis on the "dram" with a sprinkle of the "-edy" here and there. It caught me off-guard a bit with the serious themes involving depression and all, given the SNL alumni starring in it. Hader and Wiig did show some impressive acting chops in this one and have a real believable chemistry.

Tonally, it reminded me just a bit of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (one of my favorite films of all time), but some of that may have to do with normally quirky, upbeat actors taking on a darker, more serious role. I definitely enjoyed it, but it may be uncomfortably heavy for those who battle these issues themselves.

Last edited:

Doom85

The kids came over tonight, and we watched Insidious: The Red Door.

It was a fun movie but didn't really have the same soul as the first one. Why did they keep this series alive for so long? A couple of good jump scares and a somewhat interesting plot. The roommate side character really stole the movie.

This was Patrick Wilson’s first rodeo as director, and, yeah, he was okay at it, but definitely not as good as James Wan with 1 (and 2 to a lesser extent) or Leigh Whannel with 3. Still this was better than 4 which was a nothingburger of a film.

It would have been better if only the son had gotten his memory erased. Forcing us to follow both him and Patrick Wilson both trying to figure out what happened in the past separately when we the viewers already know the answers was underwhelming. I agree that the college campus setting was fairly unique for a supernatural horror film. So the focus should have been on the son figuring out if he’s really seeing the things he’s seeing, meanwhile Wilson will occasionally call/text him but the son ignores it due to their temporary falling out. It would have meant less screentime for Wilson but the pacing would have been much better.

Also less scary than 1 or 3 or even 2 (but again, still better than 4 in this regard). The one standout was early on with Wilson on the phone and someone is approaching from behind his car but we never get a good look at who it is. There’s not even a jump scare so the audience is just left feeling uneasy.

As for why it’s still going, money I guess. This one actually did pretty well at the box office so expect a sixth film. Personally in terms of James Wan’s horror films that feature Patrick Wilson, I prefer The Conjuring as I find the first two films scarier than any Insidious and Ed and Loraine Warren are great leads. Even Conjuring 3, while far less scary, was still enjoyable, like a weak X-Files episode I’d still enjoy purely because Mulder and Scully will still be fun to follow.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Pleasantville

Not sure what the message of this movie is supposed to be? Slut invades peaceful little town and destroys idyll and marriages and cause chaos by showing everyone how much fun sex is? And then the others are the bad guys? Oh yeah, one guy discovered he likes to paint instead of serving at a restaurant.

What a stupid plot.

Last edited:
Pleasantville

Not sure what the message of this movie is supposed to be? Slut invades peaceful little town and destroys idyll and marriages and cause chaos by showing everyone how much fun sex is? And then the others are the bad guys? Oh yeah, one guy discovered he likes to paint instead of serving at a restaurant.

What a stupid plot.

I saw this in theaters when it first came out and loved it

I'm guessing I will hate the movie now if I ever rewatch it

It's most likely due to how much my personal politics have changed

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I saw this in theaters when it first came out and loved it

I'm guessing I will hate the movie now if I ever rewatch it
Haha, I actually also had a good memory of it before I rewatched it today. But right now I was just like… what? It‘s not like anyone in the town is represented as unhappy or so, quite the contrary. And then this girl starts fucking around and showing everyone how good it is to be slut (including showing mom how to masturbate) and then everything crumbles.

And then they REALLY went all in to make the other people look like the bad guys. Craaaazzzyyy. What a shit plot.
Or well, I guess it‘s just a product of it‘s time. The filmmakers prolly didn’t know in the 90s that the death of the atomic family would only make things worse and not better. I vaguely remember also liking the idea of unshackling of traditions and constraints. What a fool I was…

Last edited:
Haha, I actually also had a good memory of it before I rewatched it today. But right now I was just like… what? It‘s not like anyone in the town is represented as unhappy or so, quite the contrary. And then this girl starts fucking around and showing everyone how good it is to be slut (including showing mom how to masturbate) and then everything crumbles.

And then they REALLY went all in to make the other people look like the bad guys. Craaaazzzyyy. What a shit plot.
Or well, I guess it‘s just a product of it‘s time. The filmmakers prolly didn’t know in the 90s that the death of the atomic family would only make things worse and not better. I vaguely remember also liking the idea of unshackling of traditions and constraints. What a fool I was…

That too

I've become more conservative in certain aspects when it comes to relationships over the years and I will most likely hate the movie nowadays due to not agreeing with the message. I'm 39, so I was teenager when that movie first came out

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
That too

I've become more conservative in certain aspects when it comes to relationships over the years and I will most likely hate the movie nowadays due to not agreeing with the message. I'm 39, so I was teenager when that movie first came out
Same here. I‘m 37 now. Of course this movie appeals to the teenage mind. Just like eating trash all day long will appeal to an infants mind. But just like we don’t allow that, teens should have some constraints as well. Seen too many people being dead inside due to their past.

Same here. I‘m 37 now. Of course this movie appeals to the teenage mind. Just like eating trash all day long will appeal to an infants mind. But just like we don’t allow that, teens should have some constraints as well. Seen too many people being dead inside due to their past.

I remember it being a beautiful film to look at, Reese Witherspoon being a Slut and egging her mom to go have an affair with that guy who owns the Diner. Back than I would be rooting for the mom but nowadays I would just find the whole situation despicable

Last edited:
Lately, I have been watching sports comedies like Major League (1989) and A League of Their Own (1992).

In Major League a rag-tag team of oddballs picked to be on a professional baseball team created to be the worst in the league becomes one of the best, much to the dismay of the new owner plotting to relocate the brand.

In A League of Their Own, an athletically-gifted milk maiden from Oregon, her sister, and their team compete in the newly formed All-American Girls Professional Baseball League during World War II while the all-stars of baseball are fighting abroad.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Pleasantville

What a stupid plot.
Go make this the IMDB description.

Knock at the Cabin. Probably Shamalaongadong's worst film yet.

Can't be worse than the Happening.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I watched A Man Called Otto last night - I've never cried so much in my life - there is this one scene with the following Kate Bush song but I just lost my shit.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
-Cobweb

It starts off creepy & atmospheric then it does a 180 during the last 30 minutes which disappointed me a bit.

Still a slightly above average horror flick.

Doom85

I don't remember that one. Shalamarlongdongsiliver lost it many years ago imo

Dave Bautista’s performance makes Knock at the Cabin automatically better than The Happening or The Last Airbender. Or Lady in the Water, his actual worst film (a script so monumentally stupid, pretentious, and batshit insane even Paul Giamatti couldn’t save it). Like, that film has a scene literally having a character telling M. Night his story will change the world and he’ll be a martyr for it. You can’t make this shit up.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Dave Batista’s performance makes Knock at the Cabin automatically better than The Happening or The Last Airbender. Or Lady in the Water, his actual worst film (a script so monumentally stupid, pretentious, and batshit insane even Paul Giamatti couldn’t save it). Like, that film has a scene literally having a character telling M. Night his story will change the world and he’ll be a martyr for it. You can’t make this shit up.
Yeah Bautista was good in it and believable but the whole plot was just paper thin.

Last edited:
Dave Batista’s performance makes Knock at the Cabin automatically better than The Happening or The Last Airbender. Or Lady in the Water, his actual worst film (a script so monumentally stupid, pretentious, and batshit insane even Paul Giamatti couldn’t save it). Like, that film has a scene literally having a character telling M. Night his story will change the world and he’ll be a martyr for it. You can’t make this shit up.

I wasn't paying any attention at all when watching that movie. I was bored and kept on looking at my phone lol

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I haven’t seen Pleasantville, but the idyllic ‘50s Leave it to Beaver apple pie America was a television fantasy, not real life. Sounds like they took a shallow facade and dismantled it. It’s probably not just glorifying immoral behavior for the sake of it.

Doom85

I haven’t seen Pleasantville, but the idyllic ‘50s Leave it to Beaver apple pie America was a television fantasy, not real life. Sounds like they took a shallow facade and dismantled it. It’s probably not just glorifying immoral behavior for the sake of it.

Not to mention it highlights other issues of the time period. The “No Coloreds” signs, while referring to people who have become proper colors instead of the black and white of old television, is pretty obvious in highlighting a major issue of that time. The town was also guilty of extreme censorship of books and music. As for the husband and wife, it shows that she simply wasn’t happy in their marriage in a way he wouldn’t be able to understand, but the film doesn’t show he’s a bad guy either, they just ultimately weren‘t going to work out most likely. Neither is the bad guy, and she shouldn’t be forced to stay in an unhappy marriage just because their old-fashioned society said she had to.

I definitely am raising an eyebrow at anyone who is confused why the leaders of the town were portrayed as in the wrong. They were banning “coloreds” from certain public areas, burning books, forbidding certain types of music, etc. This isn’t behavior most conservatives or liberals would agree with today, so the film’s message shouldn’t be an issue regardless of one’s political standing.

Fools idol

Banned
Just saw Arrival... pretty interesting lore with aliens that time travel and Xenolinguistics, language that enables its user to see the entire 'story' of their lives by blurring the distinction between the past, present, and future.

It has a great and eerie atmosphere, 8/10

Last edited:

Andyliini

Red Heat

I had never heard of this before, so I thought this would be Arnold kicking Soviet ass, but he was playing a Soviet instead. It didn't really change much, as he still kicks ass while being completely serious. The film itself is not, and maybe that's why it works better than Raw Deal. Not a masterpiece by any means, but a fun watch nevertheless.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I‘m not buying it. You can literally take any peaceful group of people, then disturb it with outside elements and then ultimately claim it was just a facade. Duh… The way the town was portrayed in the beginning there was absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Was our life just facade before Instagram and Facebook started to make everyone depressed because „we could have had it so much better“? You can almost always take someone who is happy and then make him or her unhappy by showing them so much fun stuff they are not doing.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
-Sinister (2012).

Just rewatched this sober but I strongly suggest anyone not an alcoholic to watch it while having a drink.

You can participate in Ethan Hawke's character journey into oblivion 😄

Yerd

Just watched Bloody Hell. It's a horror comedy about a not so good guy getting kidnapped in Finland. It's pretty fun.

he did avatar and everyone was afraid for the future. Or that movie was horrific.
I think you might mean something different. Avatar was James Cameron.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll

I remember it as a pretty good black comedy / satire but it has been a minute.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Flesh + Blood (1985), directed by Paul Verhoeven, written by Gerard Soeteman and Paul Verhoeven, starring Rutger Hauer, Jennifer Jason Leigh

Verhoeven’s first Hollywood project. Phew, this would’ve had shock value back in 1985. A mercenary band is betrayed and seeks revenge against a lord in 16th century Europe. What sets this apart from most medieval adventure films is an adherence to the morality of the times—that is, amorality. There are few heroic characters. Everyone’s out for themselves, everyone’s playing an angle. Horrific acts are committed casually and without dramatic weight, to reflect how little value human life had. Yet the film’s tone is so matter of fact and whimsical that it has something of a PG-13 adventure movie feel throughout, despite the gruesome events. Rutger Hauer plays the charismatic lead, but he’s a pretty bad guy. Jennifer Jason Leigh is the damsel in distress, but she’s cunning and manipulative.

Soldier of Orange is Verhoeven’s best of the era, but this is an interesting and different medieval adventure.

sinnergy

The latest Transformers, to be honest dog-shite. CGI was sub-par, also later I saw it was not ILM, but I think normally a support studio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom