• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise |OT| A Whole New World

GymWolf

Also, you can filter on your map when you go on expedition quests for gathering. There's a way to highlight just specific items you want to gather. Or check wikis and stuff too if you want to build a few traps quickly or look for certain things without roaming all over.
I only discovered this shit after like 200 hours :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Imagine searching for 15 fucking hornateurs to kill without knowing that...

Fucking baoboa on iceborne still don't show on the map tho...

Also, you can filter on your map when you go on expedition quests for gathering. There's a way to highlight just specific items you want to gather. Or check wikis and stuff too if you want to build a few traps quickly or look for certain things without roaming all over.
I have a few webs from the trap creature quest, I'm ready to rock after work.

Dampf

Wii assets, extremly low polygon count.

9Zs9ViR.png

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'm also thinking about it, but not quite there yet.
(Also Pejo Pejo ) I'm going to use the free trial (at least I'm assuming I'll get a trial since I've never used it) and would be up for some hunts with others on here. Might just get the online while heavily into Rise.

Also, I hear horror stories about the cluster of effects on screen when in groups.

Last edited:
(Also Pejo Pejo ) I'm going to use the free trial (at least I'm assuming I'll get a trial since I've never used it) and would be up for some hunts with others on here. Might just get the online while heavily into Rise.

Also, I hear horror stories about the cluster of effects on screen when in groups.

Haven't tried online yet, but there is a weapon effect setting that you can change to low to help with that. Also a silhouette option so you can see the outline of your character if it's blocked behind the monster, hella useful even if solo.

What's the damage output of the HH vs. Hammer? Just wondering why you'd play hammer when you could play a blunt weapon that also buffs? Does the HH not break and knockout monsters with the same frequency as the Hammer?

R6Rider

Gold Member
Haven't tried online yet, but there is a weapon effect setting that you can change to low to help with that. Also a silhouette option so you can see the outline of your character if it's blocked behind the monster, hella useful even if solo.
Yeah the outline feature is one of the options I turned on immediately and went with the blue color.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I finally did my first rampage in hub quests, It really felt like I was Monster's chew toy.

I can tell that High rank rampage quest in solo is going to be pain the the ass.
Hah! That happened to me too. I completely ignored rampage quests in low rank other than the tutorial. I'm going to play around with the Low Rank rampages to get the hang of them. They are definitely important for your gear later on.

You're forced to do one to be able to join High Rank and I got thrown around by the Apex Arzuros. It was killed by my auto turrets while I was being carted for the 6th time :p

nerdface

Banned
Oh man, I’ve been working at quests for a while, but I just found the training area. This place is very useful!

The contextual approach to the buttons as you go is great. I didn’t realize there were different combos with the shield out, and I can push a/x together sometimes too. Direction buttons plus attacks. Cool!

This combat system feels really good, with a decent amount of depth to it. When I hit things and combat is going well, there are various forms of gratifying feedback from the game. But lagging behind and getting hit over and over has the opposite feel. It’s great.

I’m only just getting to 3 star quests. Starting to look for the specific items I need to build the weapons that look cool. 😀

R6Rider

Gold Member
Hah! That happened to me too. I completely ignored rampage quests in low rank other than the tutorial. I'm going to play around with the Low Rank rampages to get the hang of them. They are definitely important for your gear later on.

You're forced to do one to be able to join High Rank and I got thrown around by the Apex Arzuros. It was killed by my auto turrets while I was being carted for the 6th time :p
That Apex slapped me around and after carting 3 times I just rode around on my dog until it finally died.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
So I've beated village Magnamalo... After almost 30 hours of playtime. I think I might be taking this way too slow but whatever, I really enjoy whacking those mons in the head.

I've also played a bit of Hub too. Did the Rathian rampage today with one pal and it was very fun, while also challenging. Good time.

Pejo

Gold Member

Man that bolded sucks. I hate Rampage. I don't need tower defense jammed in to my MH. I frankly don't enjoy tower defense games at all. Genshin Impact just did this to me last month too, shit sucks.

R6Rider R6Rider I'll PM you my friend code later when I'm in front of my Switch, or you can PM me yours.

Skifi28 Skifi28 If you do the 7 day trial, same deal, I'll send you my friend code.

Anyone else interested in hunting with GAF? All playstyles and experience levels welcome.

nerdface

Banned
Man that bolded sucks. I hate Rampage. I don't need tower defense jammed in to my MH. I frankly don't enjoy tower defense games at all. Genshin Impact just did this to me last month too, shit sucks.

R6Rider R6Rider I'll PM you my friend code later when I'm in front of my Switch, or you can PM me yours.

Skifi28 Skifi28 If you do the 7 day trial, same deal, I'll send you my friend code.

Anyone else interested in hunting with GAF? All playstyles and experience levels welcome.

Yes. I want to play more single player first though. Still too new.

Tell me there’s a snake skin jacket in monster hunter.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member

Okay having never using Nintendo Online and the online being different than in World I think I set up a lobby properly and sent an invite.

I thought lobbies would be more than 4 people, but guess not. Anyone else wanting to join?

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Wii assets, extremly low polygon count.

9Zs9ViR.png
Think about it, you took time out of your day to highlight a couple of simple polygons that play a very, very, small, small part in a videogame. A couple of polygons that don't really matter in the fucking slightest to the overall look of a game which has some fantastic art direction.
What you have posted there is the sort of reaction that makes gamers such an easy target for having the piss taken out of them.

Look at the big picture and just play the damned game.

Pejo

Gold Member
Okay having never using Nintendo Online and the online being different than in World I think I set up a lobby properly and sent an invite.

I thought lobbies would be more than 4 people, but guess not. Anyone else wanting to join?
Sorry was in a hunt when you must have tried to invite. It said you didn't have a lobby open so I made a new one, password is 2345

R6Rider

Gold Member
Sorry was in a hunt when you must have tried to invite. It said you didn't have a lobby open so I made a new one, password is 2345
I see you posted a quest but don't even see any way to join it.

EDIT: Wow I went up to that board like 3 times and didn't get a prompt before.

Last edited:

LQX

I see some thinking on getting Nintendo Online. I have some spots in my Family Plan which is good for about 9 more months.. $5 for that time left if anyone is interested. PM me.

So I think I beat the game? Finished the HR7 Urgent Quest, got a cutscene hinting that it's not over but when I get back to the Hub/Village, the Quest Notification in the corner of the screen is gone. They just said to chill for a bit and they'll get back at me, which I think is code for "wait for the next update" because I've completed several quests and nothing new pops up lol

So yeah, my thoughts:
The wirebug is an amazing evolution of the Slinger and is a game-changer for slow weapons like the Charge Blade (which I used exclusively in Rise). Feels amazing, especially in conjuction with the new Switch skills (the third Charge Blade Switch skill is friggin awesome). I wish I had the wirebug when I fought Barrioth in Iceborne lol. Like someone else in the thread said, it's now a damn pussycat in comparison thanks to the mobility you are afforded in this one.

As for the maps, I really love the ability to climb over topography instead of having to stick to the apparent paths on the map. Really opens up the map and adds a sense of exploration. However, I have to admit I'm starting to find it a little annoying to have to run a Spiribird route before engaging in each Hunt, which is proving to be the case for HR7. Just seems like busywork with very little to no variation because the Spiribird positions are static.

Lastly, the OST is excellent and a front-runner for OST of the Year already.

Anyway, I'm going to have to preface this last paragraph with a Trigger Warning because I know how some Nintendo fans can be. As much as I appreciate how good the game looks for Switch, when I see that sleeping Rathalos and notice that his head is composed of a handful of polygons with relatively low res textures, I can't help but miss how good the monsters looked in World. Even navigating the maps, I would often think of how areas will be improved in the PC version. The comparisons next year are going to be the stuff of legend, mark my words lol
Oh and just like the demo, the game struggles to maintain 30fps sometimes, particularly in areas with water. Fighting a Mizutsune in the watery caves of the Flooded Forest feels like crap at times. What I'm getting at is that the PC version can't come soon enough. But until then, this version does an admirable job and shows how flexible the RE Engine is.

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention the Monster Riding! Super fun, I love it. I was actually undergeared for a certain pain in the ass monster Rajang, so I used the Wailords and other critters around the map to my advantage so that I could constantly kick his ass with other Wyverns while he was in Rage mode. Spoiler: it worked, and I captured the bastard in the end. So yeah, I'm diggin it.

Last edited:
I was worried with how it would look on a 4K so I've been sticking with playing on my monitor. Today I brought the Switch out to the LG CX and damn it honestly looks better. I'll probably stick with that when doing nights of multiplayer quests since that was somewhat hectic. This TV is magic and so is MHR.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Man it took me forever to get that Magnamalo plate for his Armour set and I just need one more material to get complete set but it seems it from another monster.

NanaMiku

So I think I beat the game? Finished the HR7 Urgent Quest, got a cutscene hinting that it's not over but when I get back to the Hub/Village, the Quest Notification in the corner of the screen is gone. They just said to chill for a bit and they'll get back at me, which I think is code for "wait for the next update" because I've completed several quests and nothing new pops up lol
Yeah, the update in April will unlock higher hunter rank and the ending

Hestar69

anyone got any tips fo ra MH noobie using a longsword. I'm having trouble building up my gauge. I've gotten it to red I think twice somehow lol. Also,whats teh best sword you would rec.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
anyone got any tips fo ra MH noobie using a longsword. I'm having trouble building up my gauge. I've gotten it to red I think twice somehow lol. Also,whats teh best sword you would rec.
The fastest way you build gauge is counter, either using foresight slash or Iai Slash.

Filth

guys pls. by hr 5 you should be wearing high level armor. im over here going absolutely ape shit on rathalos to have people get one shotted 3 matches in a row. :(

also who here played with gaf on monster hunter 3 tri. i played with the same gaf guys every night and wonder if they are still around :D D: :D

NanaMiku

Did they pull the DLC Bundle 1 from the store?
Haven't checked it, but there are problem in my region with the DLC. Most people who bought the physical version of the deluxe edition can't get their code working. They already redeem the code, but it doesn't appear in the game.

Bodomism

Banned
guys pls. by hr 5 you should be wearing high level armor. im over here going absolutely ape shit on rathalos to have people get one shotted 3 matches in a row. :(

also who here played with gaf on monster hunter 3 tri. i played with the same gaf guys every night and wonder if they are still around :D D: :D
High Rank Mizutsune is a nightmare to blademaster party even with High Rank Armor equipped

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
How's the difficulty in HR quests? I´ve been doing early Hub and Village quests and so far it has been mostly pretty easy, only carted once against a Tobi.

bender

What time is it?

I've never been hit by a monster while playing online. That's why I don't wear armor.

I just ride my dog around the map collecting resources while you suckers kill the monsters.

Top Bottom