• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise |OT| A Whole New World

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Jeeze, IGN don't even give people a chance to play the game until they spoil everything. Whatever gets the clicks I guess.
I also don’t like this. They do it so they won’t have to release it later. It’s so dumb that they waste their efforts by trying to stop people “before” it comes out, but yet the day of they’ll release everything. It’s so stupid. It’s a very dumb medium sometimes.

Last edited:
What game would this be comparable to? What kind of genre?

Not much going on with Switch right now so I could give this a try but I have never played a Monster Hunter game before.

R6Rider

Gold Member

Not much going on with Switch right now so I could give this a try but I have never played a Monster Hunter game before.
Depends on how you look at it. The 'monster hunter" style of game is done in Soul Sacrifice, God Eater, and Toukiden as well. Essentially each fight with a monster is a boss fight and plays like an action game (although slower than most). You hunt monsters and use rewards or carves from monsters to get better gear to fight more monsters. There are 14 different weapon types that play differently and many different types of monsters to fight and you have gear "perks/abilities", elemental defenses and attacks, buffs and so forth.

Really will have to give the demo a try. Be warned that end game content for these games is pretty grindy, but it can also be very rewarding.

EDIT: The bigger fights in Dragon's Dogma are somewhat similar I guess.

Last edited:

Termite

Well, it's a third-person action game that's kinda slow and is more about reading your enemy and knowing when to strike, and you can play online with others - so from a core gameplay perspective the best comparison is probably Demons / Dark Souls, or Dragon's Dogma without the magic system. The animations and movement are even stiffer and more deliberate than Souls, though.

But the structure of the game is entirely different - you take on missions to hunt a single large monster (usually) and have 50 or so minutes to do it. You track them down in large levels and then spend 10 to 20 minutes fighting them. In that way it's kinda like an endless boss rush.

You then take the materials you get from monsters to create new armor and upgrade your weapon to fight stronger monsters - and this is the core JRPG style upgrade loop of the game.

I think there's still a demo up - I'd try that as many people just bounce hard off the series in general.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

It has similar feeling combat to Dragon's Dogma, or Dark Souls (slightly) in that the attacks have a lot of weight. There's 14 different weapons that all feel pretty different, and can dramatically change your impression of the game.

It's basically a game where you go out on short quests to hunt a boss monster, and the fight against them can take 10-20 minutes as you follow them around the map. There's very minimal story and exploration and more of a focus on multiplayer hunts that are bite-sized quests. You also can gather resources and explore the maps, or do a campaign mode. There's also usually lots of free DLC support.

Try the demo out! It takes a while to get used to it though, and to find the right weapon so your opinion can really change over time if you typically like action games like the ones I described.

It's basically a single player fighting game vs monsters that are all bigger than you with corresponding health, set in interesting stages where the area you fight in matters.

Each of the fourteen weapons is akin to a different fighting game character, so get the demo, do the training quests (the bottom one is most useful for endlessly trying out weapons) and see if any of the weapons click for you. (You'll notice that most of us here gravitate towards certain weapon/s, it's how it is.)

Then come back here again to ask about whichever one you wanna know more about because the demo's ingame guide isn't very helpful :x

Edit: I don't play multiplayer MH, so I can't speak for that aspect.

Last edited:

Moochi

I feel slightly retarded coming from MH:W to this. There are so many mobility options and I am not coping with the new movements. The muscle memory is all borked. But earlier I shot a web into the air, did a backflip, wallran across a cliff, backflipped again, and stabbed an monster. It was sweet even though I couldnt make it happen again. Yet. Skill ceiling is high with this one.

Last edited:

Pejo

Just beat the Great Izuchi. This definitely feels like MH, but holy shit the framerate feels awwwwfulll to go back to. I don't even care about the graphics, they're fine. It's going to take a while for me to A.) stop trying to slinger shot and B.) get used to all of the wirebug features. They have quite a bit of utility in this game, both in combat and out. Also, in classic MH fashion, they throw way too much shit at you in the beginning, in the form of wordy tooltips and text. I'll go back through and read them in hunter's notes, but I was just ready to get out and hunt.

GymWolf

I feel slightly retarded coming from MH:W to this. There are so many mobility options and I am not coping with the new movements. The muscle memory is all borked. But earlier I shot a web into the air, did a back-lit, wallran across a cliff, backfired again, and stabbed an monster at it was sweet even though I could make it happen again. Yet. Skill ceiling is high with this one.
Yeah the wirebug didn't clicked with me at all in the demo.

I had the same problem with the clutch claw\tenderize\stomp the monster into a wall with the slingshot mechanics when iceborne released.

Only now in the new run i'm actively using all these things.

What's the point of the Cohoot? I thought it would function like the Poogie in World but it doesn't seem to find anything. The interactions are cute, sure, but I want some damn loot lol

RaptorGTA

Man, I'm sitting in a Zoom meeting right now and all I want to do is get started with this game.

C'mon workday, hurry up! I want to bonk monsters in the face with my hammer of justice and/or doom!

Me and co worker have been just sitting waiting for us to be done..almost time...

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
What's the scaling on hub quests, anybody know?
HP of the Monsters scale based number of players.
uWyroXq.png

F31 Leopard

Lol I contacted Best Buy customer service and I won't be getting my preorder till April 2 one full week from today. Luckily my local Target had 3 left in stock and I snagged 1.

Skifi28

uWyroXq.png

I haven't tried any yet, I wonder if there's a difference with village quests when solo? I assume there is considering the game "warns" you that it's harder. Village monsters so far seem to drop life flies, a little extra HP would be nice.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Ok Rampages are tough. Beat the first one and now first sighting of
magnamalo
About to get 4 star opened.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Tried a few multiplayer quests with a mate and even with the shittiest internet conection (about 6mbs) it ran pretty well.

It was fun, but when another 2 randos joined it got pretty chaotic between the 4 hunters, the 4 dogs and the poor monster. :goog_relieved:

SinDelta

World has better graphics but Rise has a more cohesive artstyle and narrative so far.

I really like the village.

Using longsword but thinking of trying lance or hammer.

Best dogos make mobility and traversal a breeze.

Great Izuchi
is a raptor pack from Jurassic Park on steroids, but with the benny hill theme playing as you chase them across half the map.

Last edited:

Rathalos

Banned
Coming from MHGU, Rise is just incredible. It's just better in every way. I absolutely love the art style and theme, the music is so beautiful. I absolutely cannot wait for this to hit PC and double dip, playing it at 144FPS on Ultra is going to be breathtaking. I put about 9 hours into it today and it's still next to me in bed, it's nearly 2am but I want to keep playing. So far it's a huge win for me, this is going to score really well.

Oh and those old school VHS tape style intros are just brilliant!

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Got up to 4 star quests. Got everything done for 1 & 2. Only 2 more quests under 3 star. Haven’t touched multiplayer.
I need some better armor but my flame attribute dual blades are holding up well. I do worry about the lava level with them so also upgraded non elemental weapon.
That’s it for today. Amazing game so far. Best parts of World & Gen Ultimate IMO.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

What's the point of the Cohoot? I thought it would function like the Poogie in World but it doesn't seem to find anything. The interactions are cute, sure, but I want some damn loot lol
Yes you can get loot from Cohoot, you can check their nest after 3 quests to get some loot for you to sell. I thinki the tutorial tell you to check your surrounding for an arrow marking Cohoot nest. I'm not really sure.

This video tells the exact location, and also other things that quite useful:

Hinedorf

Banned
OMG the quality of life upgrades even beyond MH World has turned one of my biggest gripes which is mobility in between combat segments and now you have Attack on Titan's Vertical Maneuvering Device... within a few hours of practice I now feel like Spiderman and my last goal is to get good using it for airborne longsword frontal attacks

Zero loading/waiting for almost everything WOW

e748c5f357ef2bffb9a89c96d2d54b2be200675e_hq.gif

Pejo

Welp, decided to call it a night, Unlocked the 4* quests and some of the classic monsters are coming back now. I really like the new monkey guy, he was a fun fight. The bird was fun too. I love that there are unlockable moves that we weren't presented with in the demo, even basic approach attacks in addition to wirebug stuff. So far I haven't liked either option for Swaxe yet, but it's good to know that they're going to keep coming throughout the game. Cool shit.

"Ramp up"...lol. They really just wanted to reference Rampage with that upgrade system. Which weapon tree are you guys using so far? I've been having good luck with the Arzuros axe, the poison phial is really effective, even on dudes like Great Wroggi, and the poison ticks are really potent this early in the game.

I also see that they're spreading out elemental weaknesses of monsters, even at early game, which is awesome. It felt like in World everything was weak to either thunder or ice, not much in between.

I'm going to make this bad boy in a few more monkey kills tomorrow.
wheel_axe_1-monster-hunter-rise-wiki-guide.png

uWyroXq.png
Yea I was wondering how much they scale per player. Like 20% extra HP for 2P, 30% for 3P, etc.

Also, it seems that Hub monsters even at 1P have a good chunk of extra health, and seem to fight more aggressively too. I'm trying not to get too far ahead in Village quests before I do my hub stuff, but I love early Monster Hunter when you're still unlocking all of the cool shit. It's tough to stop.

Anybody know where the hell you find wisplanterns? I need 3 of them to unlock my 2nd submarine slot, and I have been everywhere looking for them with no luck.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I want that umbrella bird armor set, looks really cool. :lollipop_content:

How are you managing your companions? I'm training one palico of each type plus one or two extra ones. Is there any reason to have more than one dog tho?

Last edited:
Top Bottom