• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise |OT| A Whole New World

F31 Leopard

For offline solo LR and HR I'm only using Kamura/Kamura S and Kamura Weapon to keep it more challenging. I'm also doing Key Quests solo unless I already beat it. Only using my other sets when I play MP. If anyone wants my Friend code it's 5369 4481 5897. Time zone is Hawai'i so I'm 3 hrs behind PST.

Last edited:

Cob32

Hope layered armour is not too far away. Look at the state of this.
ak8Z8TA.jpg

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Yeah I can't get into this game. Not sure what hype was all about tbh.

Was playing it on launch day during the quiet hours at work. I ended up picking up on some of my colleagues tasks because this game is straight up Z's. Not bothered playing it since.
First time with MH?

SinDelta

So far I can easily see this game become my GOTY.
From what I've played so far I very much agree.

It looks like it will take a moumental game to displace Rise as GOTY 2021, and I don't see that happening unless one of several megaton games actually release this year and live up to the hype. (BotW 2, Metroid Prime 4, God of War Ragnarok, Final Fantasy XVI or Horizon Forbidden West.)

Tg89

I'm enjoying this quite a bit more than World already, and I enjoyed World a lot, but it was also my first MH. So many more of the systems make sense off the bat this time as a result of it not being my first time, and the gameplay look is obviously familiar now.

I still feel like I only halfway understand a number of the systems, but for the most part they're minor things.

That said...so far I've been playing solo and have stuff to the Village quests. Should I be keeping up with the hub quests? Do I truly need to do them in a group or can I solo for the most part?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm enjoying this quite a bit more than World already, and I enjoyed World a lot, but it was also my first MH. So many more of the systems make sense off the bat this time as a result of it not being my first time, and the gameplay look is obviously familiar now.

I still feel like I only halfway understand a number of the systems, but for the most part they're minor things.

That said...so far I've been playing solo and have stuff to the Village quests. Should I be keeping up with the hub quests? Do I truly need to do them in a group or can I solo for the most part?
You don't have to keep up with the hub quests. When you do enough Village quests, you'll get something called "Special License Test" quests which allows you to automatically upgrade your hub level to the next level. However, once you hit high rank, you'll only be able to do Hub quests as the Village is effectively done. And you don't need to do them in a group. They scale the monsters depending on the number of players.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Hub quests I join existing games. Most times they’re already halfway through. Solo hub is super hard mode. If you’re holding your own then have at it. The matchmaking is quite good otherwise.

Pejo

Did some co-op tonight trying to get a Magnamalo Plate. 8 hunts in a row with nothing.

Now THIS is the Monster Hunter experience I remember.

I pissed around a bit with different weapons in the training room, HH is freaking insanely fun now. I don't know how the crazy bastards made it so good, but they did it. Definitely going to save that one for PC version fresh playthrough though.
200.gif

I think I'll make my off weapon IG. I was surprised to find out that they completely overhauled the kinsects in Rise. Now only "Powder" type bugs do the normal MH:W attacking and leaving the powder residue. The other types just do things like increase overall retrieval speed and other effects. Kinda cool that you won't just pick the fastest blast severing kinsect and never look at it again. IG was kinda lame in the demo with the wirebug moves they chose for you, but some of the other unlockables are super fun.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I finally got 3 flame sacs from Aknosom during an exhibition. I’ve made it to rank 4 quests.
I agree about the game clicking. I dabbled in the first couple games and didn’t really make it past a couple egg deliveries and various small monster hunts. I owned Tri, but didn’t really bother with it. I got 3U and 4U on 3DS. I had a circle pad pro, but I didn’t know what I was doing. I played World and made some crazy weapon that was useless. Now I’ve crafted more weapons in Rise than any other MH game. I’m curious to see when the credits roll in this one. This rank or 3 more ranks? Honestly it’s been a lot of fun. I knew about G rank, but I never got to G rank. I realize high rank is about as high as Rise goes and there’s a ton of replay-ability. It’s always been a series I’ve been fond of, but one where I wasn’t feeling the core gameplay. Playing it was fine, 10, 20, 30 hours.. no problem. I just didn’t know anything about making my character stronger.

Exede

Rolled credits tonight. Playing so much online has made the single player trivial. Magnamalo did have me use a pot or two.
You know, after the credits your just about half way done with the story.
Saw the last sequence yesterday after beating the 2nd elder dragon. Oh man, cant wait whats next in the story!

GymWolf

You’ve spent more time posting about it than it would take to beat. Brother, join us. Even if it’s not as good as World for you, it’s still a new MH.

The demo is meh. Full game is awesome. Once you acclimate to palimutes, it’s hard to go back.
Like i said, end of april is not that far.

I'm usually very bad at resisting the hype, but i'm really loving my new run on world with the swaxe and i have outriders coming out in a day or two, if i can wait to see the game finally completed with added contents and maybe some optimization patches and a discount, why buying now?! The game is gonna be full of people in april too, these are not games that die quickly (there is still a fuckload of people playing world)

So I crafted and completely upgraded a Rampage weapon to its final form.... and its worse in every possible way to the weapon I was already using? The one and only difference is that the Sharpness meter is slightly longer and has some blue in it. Screw that. Back to the Dragonsong Charge Blade I go.

Also, I have a feeling that the Charge Blade's Chainsaw Switch skill is going to be nerfed. I don't have access to a DPS meter (obviously), but I really feel like I'm putting out some insane damage, especially as a crit build. HR7 Rampage Apex's go down with several minutes left on the clock thanks to my chainsawing lol. RIP AND TEAR

Last edited:
Does anyone else know how the rampage village quests are determined? It seems like only a few are available at a time. I did the tutorial and skipped the rest because I’m not really a fan of the mode, now the only ones available are 5 and 6 star rampages but I was hoping to practice on a mid tier one rather than going straight to Tigrex and friends.

nerdface

Banned
Does anyone else know how the rampage village quests are determined? It seems like only a few are available at a time. I did the tutorial and skipped the rest because I’m not really a fan of the mode, now the only ones available are 5 and 6 star rampages but I was hoping to practice on a mid tier one rather than going straight to Tigrex and friends.

lol, I’m glad you posted this...I was gonna wait to do more of them

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So I crafted and completely upgraded a Rampage weapon to its final form.... and its worse in every possible way to the weapon I was already using? The one and only difference is that the Sharpness meter is slightly longer and has some blue in it. Screw that. Back to the Dragonsong Charge Blade I go.

Also, I have a feeling that the Charge Blade's Chainsaw Switch skill is going to be nerfed. I don't have access to a DPS meter (obviously), but I really feel like I'm putting out some insane damage, especially as a crit build. HR7 Rampage Apex's go down with several minutes left on the clock thanks to my chainsawing lol. RIP AND TEAR
Rather curious. Is CSS(Spinning Axe) stronger then CES(Sword Boost)?

I was labbing it up last night in training and CSS feels meaty but slow but CES on the other hand has constant high APM.

I'm rather curious if each hit of CSS contributes to status/elements? Might make it better for me in long term. Thus far I find CES more fun.

Raven117

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the game, but they streamlined it too much and took away alot of the strategy that goes into the fights.

Its just a bit too breezy (on the village quests...all the way up).

The wirebug, while fun, really does take away from the slow tactical strategy employed by earlier games.

I feel like Im fighting the monsters now, not hunting them.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the game, but they streamlined it too much and took away alot of the strategy that goes into the fights.

Its just a bit too breezy (on the village quests...all the way up).

The wirebug, while fun, really does take away from the slow tactical strategy employed by earlier games.

I feel like Im fighting the monsters now, not hunting them.
I agree. Game is great and very fun, but a lot of the chllenge of previous ones is gone. You no longer need to prepare before a hunt, and hunting monsters is basically following their icon on the minimap, as you no longer need to know which are their favorite zones to hang around or where their nests are.

Also, fuck wivern riding. I really hope this is the last iteration we see of that mechanic. It breaks the pace of the fight and it trivializes having two monsters on the same area.

Aside from that I'm having a lot of fun tho. Gameplay (aside for wr) is the best ever, and a lot of the new monsters are cool as fuck to fight against.

Magnamalo is kicking my ass when I try to kill him with the Gunlance. It's great when I'm close but if I get knocked back, etc... I can't seem to close the gap. I may need to try with another weapon - hammer or HH.

Also, fuck wivern riding. I really hope this is the last iteration we see of that mechanic.
Not a fan of that myself. Wirebug stuff is ok, but I prefer the claw from MHW.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Magnamalo is kicking my ass when I try to kill him with the Gunlance. It's great when I'm close but if I get knocked back, etc... I can't seem to close the gap. I may need to try with another weapon - hammer or HH.

Not a fan of that myself. Wirebug stuff is ok, but I prefer the claw from MHW.
Yeah I like the wirebug. ZL+B when getting hit might be a little bit too op, but aside from that it's really cool imo.

Raven117

I agree. Game is great and very fun, but a lot of the chllenge of previous ones is gone. You no longer need to prepare before a hunt, and hunting monsters is basically following their icon on the minimap, as you no longer need to know which are their favorite zones to hang around or where their nests are.

Also, fuck wivern riding. I really hope this is the last iteration we see of that mechanic. It breaks the pace of the fight and it trivializes having two monsters on the same area.

Aside from that I'm having a lot of fun tho. Gameplay (aside for wr) is the best ever, and a lot of the new monsters are cool as fuck to fight against.
Yeah, some of the changes are great! The mobility with the dog adds such a cool "give chase" factor. That said, I think they dialed it too far back.

If they were going to give us this awesome mobility, then needed to make other things more quirky. (Like, as you said, their favorite zones....preparing better.... (especially when your tent has everything you need anyway....just make us hunt it more using those systems....makes it more fun).

nerdface

Banned
I don’t understand the Rampage hate. This is a fun game mode to mix up the minimap chase of the regular maps.

I’m not a big tower defense fan, but the setup between rounds is pretty minimal so far. You can sit in some of the machines, which is fun.

Basically I set stuff up, then run around bashing monsters. As a new player, this gives me a chance to hit stuff, because the monsters aren’t always paying attention to me.

I also get to romp on multiple enemies at once and wyvern ride into each other in a big mayhem.

I’m new to the franchise, but this is just fun videogames. Got myself an S rank.

and hunting monsters is basically following their icon on the minimap, as you no longer need to know which are their favorite zones to hang around or where their nests are.
That's partly why my minimap is off. Look around and make good guesses as to where they would go or frequent, follow the trails of their materials etc.
Wyvern Riding is cool, I use it to traverse the level quickly; Rathian in the demo was faster than Mizutsune and much faster than the Palamute.

I'm assuming Wyvern Riding was sort of inspired or meant to tie in to MHS2, where riding monsties is a core appeal.

Also, I haven't tested it properly but I think using a Stinkmink prevents the two monsters from attacking each other; they'll both be hot on your heels.

Personally I haven't used WR to damage monsters, I just ignore them or launch them into a wall and get off. My two buddies are dealing more damage than any ridden wyvern :/

Top Bottom