• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith (the Japanese one) goes crazy

Mashing

BK2... awesome. Fix the voice acting, the card dedredation problem and develop the characters more and it'll be AAA quality. Some more of that awesome FMV in the intro wouldn't hurt either

Bebpo said:
He is still composing Tales of the Abyss in Dec. I wouldn't be surprised if it's another 4 cd, 100+ track soundtrack.

Hey that's awesome! As much as I like Radiata Stories, I keep thinking of what it would be like with a Sakuraba score!

MrDaravon

mutsu said:
So many exclusives for the GC so late in its lifecycle...

This is it's really funny and doesn't make sense, but it's all good for a loyal Gamecube fan.

How much did Baten Kaitos sell again on the GC? Something around 20,000 in my vague memory?? How long earth does that sales warrant a sequel...

Plus I am still surprised Namco is not porting this game to the PS2... like they did with ToS.

Someone posted the sales in this thread already, in the US it's at about 110k. In Japan I THINK BK sold about 70-80k, but I don't have anything to back that up with.

It'd be hilarious if the Xenosaga DS games were some kind of text adventure type thing. But seriously, what the fuck?

Baten Kaitos 2 is cool though, I haven't played 1 but I really like the style, maybe they'll fix some of the complaints people had about the first one with it (battle system).

Bebpo

Banned
Mashing said:
BK2... awesome. Fix the voice acting, the card dedredation problem and develop the characters more and it'll be AAA quality. Some more of that awesome FMV in the intro wouldn't hurt either

Yeah. I loved BK for its visuals, music, interesting world, and very unique and fun battle system. Yet it ended up being not so hot because of the plotting and characters.

All they need this time is a good script. Good story + everything they did right with BK1 should equal a top-class rpg. Very nice potential here.

Dragmire

Drinky Crow said:
SUICIDING
You put that on your house, don't you?

Maybe they'll make Xenosaga a 2D game for DS (the PS2 games are 3D, aren't they?). Sometimes I prefer 2D jRPG's, because they just end up being more streamlined. Pokemon, for example, is so much better, faster and more fun in 2D. Harvest Moon is another.

And it's been made pretty clear that Xenosaga 2 isn't very liked around here, but I don't know much about Xenosaga 1. I remember people saying it was no Xenogears (which I never got into, personally), but I don't know how it was looked at after the comparisons died down. How does it stand up?

longdi

Banned
duckroll said:
UNCONFIRMED Famitsu news:

- Producer, Director and Main Staff are from Ep2
- Music is composed by Kajiura again, Shinji Hosoe's involvement is unknown

NOOOooOOOOooOOoOOOOOOOo!

Jonnyram

Baten Kaitos 2 is set 20 years before Baten Kaitos 1.
rumoured to use full polygon fields

Xenosaga I & II on DS has the anime character designs from I, plus some extra chars not in the original version.

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
Baten Kaitos 2 is set 20 years before Baten Kaitos 1.
rumoured to use full polygon fields

Sounds good. But bomba anyway! :(

Xenosaga I & II on DS has the anime character designs from I, plus some extra chars not in the original version.

Maybe its XS 1+2+PP? But still, retarded.

Also, WHERE ARE THE SCANS? :(

duckroll

New information:

Xenosaga Ep3 - The series will be concluded with this game. The character illustrator has been changed.

Xenosaga 1+2 - There will be changes in the scenario and there will be additional characters as stated by Jonnyram. Yes the game is in 2D and the designs are said to be close to XS Ep1's anime style design.

Danj

duckroll said:
New information:

Xenosaga Ep3 - The series will be concluded with this game. The character illustrator has been changed.

Wow, bomba. And just when they decided to bring the series to Europe, too :lol

duckroll said:
Xenosaga 1+2 - There will be changes in the scenario and there will be additional characters as stated by Jonnyram. Yes the game is in 2D and the designs are said to be close to XS Ep1's anime style design.

Let's hope they're not close to Xenosaga The Animation's style :D
Actually to be honest I thought the characters looked better in Namco X Capcom. Or maybe that was just because KOS-MOS' breasts were bigger...

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Man you guys have short memories. When BK was first announced on the Cube a couple years back Namco said it would be a "Nintendo Specific Franchise RPG" exclusive from Monolith. They are trying to build this sucker into a brand name for the Nintendo systems. They would of had better success if the word "Cards" was never associated with the game but most people I know won't give it a chance because of this.

Xellotah

How does Xenosaga play without the Cutscenes? Does it have decent play mechanics?

Hmm.. and the DS + PS2 thing, I wonder why they didn't develop it for the PSP?

bloke

uporg192818.jpg

jiggle

Looks like they made a new model for KOS-MOS.

Hope the focus will be shifted back to her. She was my favorite part of XSI

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
baten kaitos 2 for GC?

Well, if it keeps this generation alive just a little longer, awesome.

duckroll

Ok I'm keeping an open mind (HAHA!) and I have to say the game looks promising. Having said that it is promising because my expectations of the series are now so low it would have to be really really shitty to be actually bad to me. :)

Here are some translations from the scans:

- 1 year after XS Ep2
- The same cast is back
- Keywords in the theme is "superhuman" and "eternal cycle", the same themes explored in the book the game is named after this time
- More ES units because they know that's the only thing we LOVED from XS Ep2
- Zohar Emulators are back in the plot
- Everything will be concluded this time
- Character battles will have TECHS again because they know we missed them in XS Ep2 and the battles will be speedier than ever
- Mech battles will have more mechs to choose from and more attacks and cooler attacks
- There will be some dialogue based subsystem when talking to people on the field now
- There are robobattles probably similar to the Xenosaga Ep1 one where you can take any mech you already have into an action game battle
- Graphic engine looks to be XS Ep2's :(
- Character illustrator is new, and looks hot
-
The big new thing in the plot is the Zaratharus system T-ELOS which was featured in XS Ep1's final dungeon as a blueprint.

jiggle

Just noticed that picture of KOS-MOS kinda reminds me of Sophia's portrait...
MOMO is looking better too.

BK2 looks great. Glad they are keeping the gorgeous prerendered backgorunds. All they need is a better scenario writer.

duckroll

neo2046 said:
lucky! it is 2D :lol

682670xenosaga_12_ds.jpg

- So XS I+II DS is made to prepare people for XS Ep3, I guess that means whatever they change, add and/or delete will be the new official canon.
- Battle system is based on XS Ep1's battle engine with a "PF System" added. It's not explained yet.
- The screenshots on the left are all 2D sprite adaptations of XS Ep1's opening 3D cutscenes, so at least we know how they'll be handling those.
- The screenshots on the right are "COOL MOVIES!" so at least we know they'll be using as much FMV as they can.
- Character designs look closer to XS TV anime than XS Ep1. :(

Jonnyram

Baten Kaitos II is being published by Nintendo!
It doesn't say whether or not the developer is Monolith, but it seems to use a pretty similar engine.

Andy787

Banned
Haha, looks like the Xenosaga team took a hint from Talim (or whoever that new Soul Cal 3 character with the upside down cleavage is).

Upsidedown cleavage is the new cleavage cleavage. :p

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wow, I never bothered with Xenosaga II but after my utter disgust with the first one, and hearing about how bad the second ones, I doubt I'll even touch another game in the series. Baten Kaitos I had a lot of potential, blown by such shitty pacing, lame characters, horrid tinny voice acting, and slow gameplay... but if these could be fixed, we could have a very nice game on our hands - I have much more hope for this than any other Xenosaga games.

longdi

Banned
Ending so soon? It is for the better, the new producers sucks. Ep3 have to be 60 hours long to appease Ep 1 & 2 buyers. Monolith is more bloodthirsty than EA. They split a game into 3 partitions and charge full prices for each one.

ziran

i enjoyed xenogears, xenosaga less, but it was okay. the ds version looks really good. nicely drawn style.

baten kaitos 2! very surprising after sales of the first, and nintendo publishing it....

i didn't play much of baten kaitos, it sounds like it was good.

*edit - i wonder if nintendo payed/pays for the development of the baten kaitos series to keep it exclusive?

Ronin said:
I finished Kaitos last night and it was a hell of an experience. I'd definetly be down for a second if it happens.

I just got Baten off of somebody cheap. The game is rocking so far, so Im really looking forward to a sequel.

jarrod

Banned
Sort of perplexing...

Tales of Symphonia~ 950k sold
Baten Kaitos~ 200k sold

....and the latter gets a GC sequel greenlighted? :/

jarrod said:
Sort of perplexing...

Baten Kaitos~ 200k sold

Wasnt Namco supposed to reveal a "big" sequel at TGS tho?

B.K.

duckroll said:

Are you sure it's the whole series that ends with Episode III? I know they've been saying that it will end the current story arc. I wonder how far Episode IV got along in development. They said it was in development back in 2003.

jarrod said:
Sort of perplexing...

Baten Kaitos~ 200k sold

They said that Baten Kaitos was going to be a Nintendo franchise, Tales is the most important rpg series that they have so they have to choose carefully where to release it.

Top Bottom