• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith (the Japanese one) goes crazy

shion and kos-mos are both looking very hot, let's hope they fix up the game, maybe this will be the first xenosaga I play for more than 5 hours

jarrod

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
They said that Baten Kaitos was going to be a Nintendo franchise, Tales is the most important rpg series that they have so they have to choose carefully where to release it.
Well, Symphonia GC is now the best selling Tales game worldwide... why not throw it Abyss and forget about Baten Kaitos entirely?

jarrod said:
Well, Symphonia GC is now the best selling Tales game worldwide... why not throw it Abyss and forget about Baten Kaitos entirely?

Well, (imo), Team Symphonia started making it right after they finished Symphonia for GC. They knew how much it sold in Japan but not in USA/Europe...and Namco didnt seem to like sales figures so they threw ToS PS2 and the next one to PS2 only.

But who knows, Namco is milking the series lately...a tales for revolution is very likely imo.

heidern

Wait, since the release of Symphonia on GC, we've not only had it ported to ps2, but also seen the release of Tales of Rebirth and Tales of Legendia, and Abyss is yet to come. Surely there's been enough time to realise they should release another Tales game on GC.

Ulairi

Banned
heidern said:
Wait, since the release of Symphonia on GC, we've not only had it ported to ps2, but also seen the release of Tales of Rebirth and Tales of Legendia, and Abyss is yet to come. Surely there's been enough time to realise they should release another Tales game on GC.

Or just port those to the GC.

Culex

Banned
OH FUCK!

Baten FUCKING Kaitos 2! I was hoping they'd announce it (almost entirely wishful thinking in that prediction thread), but never thought it would happen.

Even though BK had some gaping flaws (voice-acting), the game was a graphical marvel with it's lush, movie-like 2D backgrounds and some of the best music to grace an RPG this generation. The battle system was also a fresh departure from your usual turn-based fare.

BRING IT ON, Monolith! This better make it to the States, you fuckers!

jarrod

Banned
Ulairi said:
Or just port those to the GC.
Actually this makes more sense and what what I figured Namco would do after Symphonia. 2D Tales for PS2, 3D Tales for PS2/GC and Tales ports for handhelds.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
jarrod said:
Sort of perplexing...

Tales of Symphonia~ 950k sold
Baten Kaitos~ 200k sold

....and the latter gets a GC sequel greenlighted? :/

Again, when BK was announced almost 3 years ago they said it would be a continuing saga exclusive to Nintendo platforms. This was supposed to be Nintendo's equivalent of the Xeno series on Playstation from Monolith. At the time they didn't know if the Tales game would be a one time deal but BK was ALWAYS meant to be built into a Nintendo specific franchise.

Jonnyram

jarrod said:
Because Tales Studio doesn't give a crap about GC? I can't think of another explanation. They know from experience that the GC version will actually sell. Besides Baten Kaitos looks to be firmly under Nintendo's wings now. Nintendo could well be funding development if they are publishing.

Culex

Banned
Not to mention Baten Kaitos seems to have some decent legs. It's sold more this year than last, although I'm not sure if it's because of a lower price or word of mouth that's it's actually a fantastic game.

Beowvlf

Banned
As disappointing as Xenosaga Episode II was, I'm still uber pumped for III (I LOVE the series mythos, the characters of Chaos, KOS-MOS and Shion, and the series' ties to gnosisism, christianity and various theories by Nietzsche) and those scans look awesome. Shion and KOS-MOS' slight redesigns get the thumbs up from me. Glad to see they're ending the series with III too, after all that has gone down since I was finished. The team that took over clearly didn't know what to do with Takahashi's outline, and it was blatantly apparent in Episode II, as nothing of much importance happened at all, outside of you know what at the end.

The focus being on Chaos really excites me too, as he is definitely my favorite character in the series, and I'm eager to find out if he truly is god... I have high hopes for this title, and will snatch up on day one for sure.

On the other hand, how unnecessary does Xenosaga I+II DS look? I can't really see anyone buying those... why wouldn't they just port I+II to PSP, it's not as if the series was very graphically intensive.

Heian-kyo said:
As disappointing as Xenosaga Episode II was, I'm still uber pumped for III (I LOVE the series mythos, the characters of Chaos, KOS-MOS and Shion, and the series' ties to gnosisism, christianity and various theories by Nietzsche) and those scans look awesome. Shion and KOS-MOS' slight redesigns get the thumbs up from me. Glad to see they're ending the series with III too, after all that has gone down since I was finished. The team that took over clearly didn't know what to do with Takahashi's outline, and it was blatantly apparent in Episode II, as nothing of much importance happened at all, outside of you know what at the end.

The focus being on Chaos really excites me too, as he is definitely my favorite character in the series, and I'm eager to find out if he truly is god... I have high hopes for this title, and will snatch up on day one for sure.

On the other hand, how unnecessary does Xenosaga I+II DS look? I can't really see anyone buying those... why wouldn't they just port I+II to PSP, it's not as if the series was very graphically intensive.

I'm considering buying XS I and II for the DS denpending on the reviews and opinions I read, I really wanted to enjoy XS, because of the story, but I stopped playing it after 5 hours and never bothered with it again

Soul4ger

I wish Konami would follow suit and release Suikoden III.IV on DS with 2D graphics. So they could be like the first two. :( Please do it Konami.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'm a little surprised at BKII myself...

I got it right after I finished ToS (which I really, really enjoyed) and I didn't really like BK all that much.

Played it for less than 30 hours, and didn't really care to continue.
I'm sure ill revisit it someday - way too many games coming out soon though - but a Nintendo-published sequal does sound promising.

As long as they fixed some of the games glaring faults:

AWFUL VOICE ACTING!! (whats with the hollow-sound?)
Very, very long battles.... please, I just don't have the time nor care that much for 45 minute fights, heh.
More likeable, realistic characters.
Etc. Whatever.

Maybe I'll check it out.

And Xenosaga DS actually exists? Woooo, finally, a serius RPG for DS!!

Beowvlf

Banned
Finaika said:
Another interesting tidbit, adding to my anticipation for this third episode, is that it's subtitle 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra', is the name of the book in which Nietzsche exclaimed his most controversial theory:

"Thus spoke the devil to me once more: 'God too has his hell: that is his love of man.' And most recently I heard him say this: 'God is dead; God died of his pity for man.'"

Remember also, at the end of Episode II, Wilhelm refers to chaos as 'Yeshua', which if you're not versed in various religions, I urge you to look up. Intriguing...

Bebpo

Banned
duckroll said:
Yes, it's the final one. The article clearly states that the 'Xenosaga' series concludes with the 3rd part.

Which is probably because Takahashi's original plot outline for XS only covered through this space arc and now that he's gone they'd have no clue what to write next ^_^;;

Tellaerin

Bebpo said:
Which is probably because Takahashi's original plot outline for XS only covered through this space arc and now that he's gone they'd have no clue what to write next ^_^;;

I wouldn't've thought that would be a problem, considering how much XS ep. 2 diverged from the original script. Seems like they have plenty of ideas... the problem being that none of them are as good as Takahashi's were. =/

I'm sad they're ending the series with ep. 3, but all things considered, it's probably for the best. :(

SantaC

Great news! Baten Kaitos is fantastic! :)

The music is one of the best soundtracks this generation. Chaotic Dance and supreme ruler of the 9 heavens anyone?

UGH @ the new characters. This'll have to be a pretty damn big game if they plan on wrapping the story up.

Or they'll phone it in with a narrative a la XSII disc 2.

Bebpo

Banned
It's not like it'll be hard to end the series at ep3. Ep3 was originally (well post-ep1 production) supposed to be the end of the space arc and the end of the stories for almost all these characters. Ep4 would start a new arc thousands of years later and would be about KOS-MOS, Chaos, Wilhelm and maybe or maybe not Shion + an entirely new cast.

So they'll finish the story of this cast on PS2 and then if the series remains popular and Namco deems it worth spending money on, they'll always have the options to do the next arc (ep4-6) on the next-gen systems. They could just call it something different like Xenosagas ep1-3 or something.

Zeo

Banned
I can't tell from the small XS I&II pics, but the sprites do look like they might be kind of like XG's sprites.

Please please please let this be good.

BK2 looks nice too.

Top Bottom