• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 21 announcement trailer. Confirmed PS5 & 4. Xbox One and Series S & X

Spokker

When you buy one of the collector's editions, Sony will donate a dollar to the Jackie Robinson Foundation scholarship fund. It's kind of a shame that the man who ended segregation in baseball is associated with a scholarship that discriminates on the basis of race. The JRF Scholarship is open only to minority students. Scholarships that target minority students are necessary and important, but they should not explicitly discriminate based on race.

It's not boycott worthy or anything like that, but it's real sad to see more segregation being instituted these days in the name of "progress." There have been separate black and white graduations, separate black and white diversity training in city government, and separate black scholarships.

It feels like going backwards while the powers that be convince us we're moving forward.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Leaving this here what his dad did not only in the same inning but to the same pitcher.

I still have that taped on an old VHS tape somewhere.

That feat will never, ever be done again. Moreso than any other record (other than maybe consecutive games played --Cal Ripken Jr). The batter would have to be up before any outs most likely and the same pitcher still in there after they batted around?Never. Not with the bullpen used so much now.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I still have that taped on an old VHS tape somewhere.

That feat will never, ever be done again. Moreso than any other record (other than maybe consecutive games played --Cal Ripken Jr). The batter would have to be up before any outs most likely and the same pitcher still in there after they batted around?Never. Not with the bullpen used so much now.
Never saw footage of it. 1999.

You can tell it was a while ago because in baseball now, even a meaningless solo HR has players jumping up and down doing chest bumps.

Guy cracks two grannies in the same inning and barely does celebrations.

Dural

Can we make a GAF Rule that no "Tatis Jr. Slander Will Be Tolerated"

Dude is about to be the face of the league. Insane talent.

Flip It Home Run GIF by San Diego Padres

And the Sox traded him away for a shitty starting pitcher. :messenger_loudly_crying:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Can you ask them to put a feature like hitters eye in the game? It was a great feature on mvp that they can easily emulate and even patch in.
They do have a similar feature feature. It's a hair different in look, but they have that 'batter's eye' oval like bubble that has various sizes and "sweet spots" based on the hitter's stats, in 'zone hitting.'

You can combine it with the 'guess pitch' feature as well to maximize the MVP style of play.

Last edited:

FrankWza

They do have a similar feature feature. It's a hair different in look, but they have that 'batter's eye' oval like bubble that has various sizes and "sweet spots" based on the hitter's stats, in 'zone hitting.'

You can combine it with the 'guess pitch' feature as well to maximize the MVP style of play.
Yeah. It’s just not the same though. That was an awesome “read pitches” feature that they could further detail by making some hitters see the color code of the pitch more clearly and lesser hitters see it more faded. So if a change up is pink and a fastball is red it would blur for worse hitter and youd be way out in front or late if you can’t “read” the pitch. So much potential in that feature. I’m really surprised they haven’t used it .

Dthomp

Preordered the digital collectors, but I'm worried about that new pitching meter. Hopefully analog stays the same that it's been last few years cause I had to take a long time to get better with it. That new one looks way too much for me to understand :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Gamerguy84

I wonder if Sony would consider selling or getting rid of the publishing rights.

Correct me if wrong but this game only sells a million per year. I always viewed it as just another notch in Sony stable of exclusives. People on Xbox are used to gamepass and it's not going to sell much there.

Should Sony drop it, shuffle a few people, and let San Diego do some other games?

FrankWza

I wonder if Sony would consider selling or getting rid of the publishing rights.

Correct me if wrong but this game only sells a million per year. I always viewed it as just another notch in Sony stable of exclusives. People on Xbox are used to gamepass and it's not going to sell much there.

Should Sony drop it, shuffle a few people, and let San Diego do some other games?
They could have allowed MLB rights to go 3rd party in 2019 and didn’t. I guess a million copies isn’t bad plus whatever ends up selling on the other platforms. Baseball is a really hard game to get right and they have a team intact and an engine that works. It must be really profitable for them to want to keep it and keep it away from 3rd party hands like ea. Plus Xbox is a bigger seller in the U.S. and it should sell well.

Gamerguy84

They could have allowed MLB rights to go 3rd party in 2019 and didn’t. I guess a million copies isn’t bad plus whatever ends up selling on the other platforms. Baseball is a really hard game to get right and they have a team intact and an engine that works. It must be really profitable for them to want to keep it and keep it away from 3rd party hands like ea. Plus Xbox is a bigger seller in the U.S. and it should sell well.

Yeah I was thinking they made some money from it considering they didn't have to reinvent the wheel every year. I was looking for a budget for the game but couldn't find one. If a million people bought it at 60 that just doesn't feel like a lot of money.

Good point xbox and baseball is as America and Apple pie. I would actually like to see it sell well because the show is a great game.

Yeah I was thinking they made some money from it considering they didn't have to reinvent the wheel every year. I was looking for a budget for the game but couldn't find one. If a million people bought it at 60 that just doesn't feel like a lot of money.

Good point xbox and baseball is as America and Apple pie. I would actually like to see it sell well because the show is a great game.
Do sports engines even get reinvented much? We see huge changes at the first two years of next gen and its incrimental upgrades from there.

Gamerguy84

Do sports engines even get reinvented much? We see huge changes at the first two years of next gen and its incrimental upgrades from there.
Honestly I'm not sure what it runs on. The formula itself doesn't go through major changes. I could be wrong but I think Sony 1st party games run on proprietary engines.

It is a top tier sports title though.

FrankWza

From what I understand, they haven't shown the next gen versions yet. That comes in one of the Tue/Thur info dumps towards the end of this month.
Usually year one on new consoles isn’t great for sports games but I’m thinking this year could be different. Especially if they can do something with the frame rate. It should be rock solid 4K 60, no? Any shot at 1080 120?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes

Sales are only part of the revenue. You forget about the microtransactions for Diamond Dynasty.

FrankWza

This game needs an overhaul. New engine or something. Hopefully year 2 on new gen implements some needed changes and takes advantage of hardware. That test was a disappointment.

REDRZA MWS

This game needs an overhaul. New engine or something. Hopefully year 2 on new gen implements some needed changes and takes advantage of hardware. That test was a disappointment.
Ehh, the game is great every year. The one thing I’d like to see vastly upgraded would be the field itself. By now, especially on next gen hardware, we should have 3D grass and much better infield dirt textures with full field degradation. Better lighting on all games are always welcome (RT for the show please!)

Outside of that the gameplay and its replication of the sport of baseball are second to none in sports games. Can’t wait for April 16th.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

It’s going to sell a lot more than a million now that it is on both consoles. Also, you are tripping if you don’t think DD mode isn’t taking in CASH. Now double that because it’s on Xbox too.

KAOS

It's great to see a good Baseball game on Xbox!. Played the tech test and it played well and I will be happy to purchase it on the Xbox! Can't wait!!!

FrankWza

Ehh, the game is great every year. The one thing I’d like to see vastly upgraded would be the field itself. By now, especially on next gen hardware, we should have 3D grass and much better infield dirt textures with full field degradation. Better lighting on all games are always welcome (RT for the show please!)

Outside of that the gameplay and its replication of the sport of baseball are second to none in sports games. Can’t wait for April 16th.
I’m more concerned with gameplay. It’s still missing features from games that were better baseball games 15 years ago and longer even. Also, the physics are still off imo. I think competition would be a good thing. It’s been too long that they’ve been the only game in town. Let’s see what the next gen version does but I’m not expecting much of an upgrade.
Sony, according to GameSpot.
someone said on x it shows Msoft as the publisher. They screwed up the listing last month though so that could be a remnant

Top Bottom