• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Social News Business Microsoft shares new technique Project Artemis to address online grooming of children for sexual purposes.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Dec 1, 2014
24,241
23,388
1,335
ibiza

Today Microsoft is sharing a grooming detection technique, code name “Project Artemis,” by which online predators attempting to lure children for sexual purposes can be detected, addressed and reported. Developed in collaboration with The Meet Group, Roblox, Kik and Thorn, this technique builds off Microsoft patented technology and will be made freely available via Thorn to qualified online service companies that offer a chat function. Thorn is a technology nonprofit that builds technology to defend children from sexual abuse.

Building off the Microsoft patent, the technique is applied to historical text-based chat conversations. It evaluates and “rates” conversation characteristics and assigns an overall probability rating. This rating can then be used as a determiner, set by individual companies implementing the technique, as to when a flagged conversation should be sent to human moderators for review. Human moderators would then be capable of identifying imminent threats for referral to law enforcement, as well as incidents of suspected child sexual exploitation to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC). NCMEC, along with ECPAT International, INHOPE and the Internet Watch Foundation (IWF), provided valuable feedback throughout the collaborative process.

Microsoft has been leveraging the technique in programs on our Xbox platform for several years and is exploring its use in chat services, including Skype.

“Project Artemis” is a significant step forward, but it is by no means a panacea. Child sexual exploitation and abuse online and the detection of online child grooming are weighty problems. But we are not deterred by the complexity and intricacy of such issues. On the contrary, we are making the tool available at this point in time to invite further contributions and engagement from other technology companies and organizations with the goal of continuous improvement and refinement.
 

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Aug 13, 2017
2,256
4,258
765
The Bowery, Exodus
You'd think Kik would just start reviewing every chat. Isn't that app only known for its rampant child grooming?
Last year they announced that they were shutting down--as they'd found that 80% of their userbase were pedophiles, and the other 20% easily exploitable children--but for some reason changed their minds.
 

M1chl

Member
Dec 25, 2019
7,930
13,398
835
Prague, Czech Republic
You'd think Kik would just start reviewing every chat. Isn't that app only known for its rampant child grooming?
Last year they announced that they were shutting down--as they'd found that 80% of their userbase were pedophiles, and the other 20% easily exploitable children--but for some reason changed their minds.
I use Kik for normal communication, well I have only one person there, so....well I didn't know that this app was used by Pedophiles, it's pretty shocking o_O
 

DJ12

Member
Jun 10, 2013
808
1,845
655
Derby, England
If you can communicate with others, people will use it for unsavioury and out right repulsive means.

This is a great move by Microsoft but surely it's not down to them to police the internet. I'm surprised it's only 4 others that are in on this. Quite shocked actually.

Lets hope more contribute going forwards now the technology is out there.
 
Last edited:

Wolfgang Jr

Banned
Apr 21, 2011
3,260
1,094
910
Well, I don't think you can be paedophile towards 30years old, but oh well. Why is not some fucking warning on Google Play store : D And by the way, how do you know it is used by paedophiles? Some experience on your side? : D
I've already forwarded your confession to the authorities.
 

Arkam

Member
Jan 21, 2012
4,311
3,750
840
Here, Now and maybe later
What size does that tin foil hat come in?

Any size you need. I got you covered ;)


BUt in all seriousness.... This is Microsoft. The company that swore the Kinect wasn't spying on you.... YET some high up at MS (was presented as head of that division at their GDC party where you had to go around and talk to each person and get your card marked off... and he was drunk) said to me and my friends "we are not spying on you... we just want to know about you to make gaming better. So we look for things like where you are playing, bedroom, living room, what type of furniture you have couch, futon, love seat.... if you have any movie posters on the wall...etc"*

After that revelation I assume the worst.

*Not a direct quote as it has been a few years, but that was the jist of it.
 

Skyfox

Member
Oct 24, 2017
749
734
580
I dont have the answers and I dont envy those with responsibilities in this area but here is the brutal truth.

This technology will be abused too. It will not be used just to find pedos.

You might say - its worth the risk (and sometimes it is). But tech like this is how we build an inescapable cage around all of humanity.
 

Gargus

Banned
Oct 1, 2018
2,067
2,873
535
You'd think Kik would just start reviewing every chat. Isn't that app only known for its rampant child grooming?
Last year they announced that they were shutting down--as they'd found that 80% of their userbase were pedophiles, and the other 20% easily exploitable children--but for some reason changed their minds.

No.

They were shutting down kik because they were focusing all their attention into a bitcoin type of virtual money system. But it's still up and running by someone else I think now and has little banner ads in it to generate revenue.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Devilich

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Aug 13, 2017
2,256
4,258
765
The Bowery, Exodus
No.

They were shutting down kik because they were focusing all their attention into a bitcoin type of virtual money system. But it's still up and running by someone else I think now and has little banner ads in it to generate revenue.
Okay, you caught me. Yes, it was a joke. Kik would never move to deter their only clientele. I've been foiled! :(