• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Pulls Out of GDC Over Coronavirus Concerns

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Blah, blah, blah..... Blah blah...

Jesus...
giphy.gif

Dlacy13g

at least they are offering an alternative by doing a digital only event

This is how we need companies responding to this kind of situation. Find alternatives and workarounds to ensure business can continue to happen.

Also on a side note regarding Sony. I find Sony's missing in action PR team to frankly be depressing to the gaming industry. Think about it ... we had the Wired article back in 2019 that gave some detail into PS5 and there was excitement. Since then... We had CES "logo" reveal and after that.... We have an earnings call where they openly express concern over keeping costs in check for the PS5, We had the annoucemnts of: We are not going to E3, We now are not going to Pax East and We are not going to GDC. Now certainly the later 2 announcements are from valid concern over coronavirus BUT... where is the Sony PR team to shine some positive out to their player base? Its as if Sony has gone into full doom and gloom mode and frankly it doesn't need to be this way. Even a Sony direct style Youtube show during the week of Pax East just talking about upcoming games as an olive branch to gamers for their missing Pax East would be welcome. They have gone radio silent at a time I feel like they should be doing the exact opposite.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
This is how we need companies responding to this kind of situation. Find alternatives and workarounds to ensure business can continue to happen.

Also on a side note regarding Sony. I find Sony's missing in action PR team to frankly be depressing to the gaming industry. Think about it ... we had the Wired article back in 2019 that gave some detail into PS5 and there was excitement. Since then... We had CES "logo" reveal and after that.... We have an earnings call where they openly express concern over keeping costs in check for the PS5, We had the annoucemnts of: We are not going to E3, We now are not going to Pax East and We are not going to GDC. Now certainly the later 2 announcements are from valid concern over coronavirus BUT... where is the Sony PR team to shine some positive out to their player base? Its as if Sony has gone into full doom and gloom mode and frankly it doesn't need to be this way. Even a Sony direct style Youtube show during the week of Pax East just talking about upcoming games as an olive branch to gamers for their missing Pax East would be welcome. They have gone radio silent at a time I feel like they should be doing the exact opposite.
The question needs to be asked why have they gone silent, as I said in other threads there is a lot of negativity about ps5 at moment, they are struggling with price, they are underpowered. Come on Sony say something

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
MS: Coronavirus risk. But it’s a digital world so we’ll present the bulk of our content online through a live stream and downloads over a 3 day period.

Sony: Coronavirus risk. We’re not going to bother showing anything. And why would we? We haven’t shown anything since E3 2018 where we focused on a banjo player and a white guy pretending to be a Japanese guy wearing a farmer hat. We skipped E3 2019, already bailed E3 2020 before the Coronavirus crisis, and also bailed Pax East.

Jokes on you guys. We had nothing to show anyway and this Coronavirus was a great excuse to bail.

Vawn

Banned
Digital only event??? Nice

We will see. This is still Xbox. They've never had issues talking. Let's see what they show.

These guys do digital events that last HOURS where nothing of substance is shown. Nintendo, on the other hand, does a 30 minute Direct thst shows off TONS of information.

Talking for the sake of talking is pointless. Hopefully, they can show something worthwhile. But, we need actions (GAMES) from MS. Not long videos with no real point or 12 PR interviews a week from Phil Spencer, 6 of which contradict what the other 6 said.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
We will see. This is still Xbox. They've never had issues talking. Let's see what they show.

These guys do digital events that last HOURS where nothing of substance is shown. Nintendo, on the other hand, does a 30 minute Direct thst shows off TONS of information.

Talking for the sake of talking is pointless. Hopefully, they can show something worthwhile. But, we need actions (GAMES) from MS. Not long videos with no real point or 12 PR interviews a week from Phil Spencer, 6 of which contradict what the other 6 said.
You’re right.

MS has long presentations showing content.

Nintendo has short presentations showing content.

Sony has no presentations due to having no content...... aside from showing the world how a White guy was hired to be a Japanese guy in traditional Asian clothes and hat. Lol

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
MS: Coronavirus risk. But it’s a digital world so we’ll present the bulk of our content online through a live stream and downloads over a 3 day period.

Sony: Coronavirus risk. We’re not going to bother showing anything. And why would we? We haven’t shown anything since E3 2018 where we focused on a banjo player and a white guy pretending to be a Japanese guy wearing a farmer hat. We skipped E3 2019, already bailed E3 2020 before the Coronavirus crisis, and also bailed Pax East.

Jokes on you guys. We had nothing to show anyway and this Coronavirus was a great excuse to bail.

MS: Please listen to our interviews about how some day we will have games, but we can't announce any yet.

Sony: If you want information about our games, please check the review scores as our games are still coming out and can speak for themselves.

Vawn

Banned
You’re right.

MS has long presentations showing content.

Nintendo has short presentations showing content.

Sony has no presentations due to having no content.

I'm not sure you know the definition of the word content.

Last of Us Part 2
Ghosts of Tsushima
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Nioh 2
Persona 5 Royal
Granblue Fantasy
Iron Man
Predator: Hunting Grounds
Yakuza: Like a Dragon

That is CONTENT. Not interviews by Phil Spencer saying they need more ways to monetize gamers.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm not sure you know the definition of the word content.

Last of Us Part 2
Ghosts of Tsushima
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Nioh 2
Persona 5 Royal
Granblue Fantasy
Iron Man
Predator: Hunting Grounds
Yakuza: Like a Dragon

That is CONTENT. Not interviews by Phil Spencer saying they need more ways to monetize gamers.
We in a thread talking about computer show participation, not list wars.

manfestival

Kinda hoping they pull out of e3. I once loved and was super hyped for e3. A part of me still feels this way but those days are long gone and the event is merely a shadow of its former self. The ESA is trash.

The Alien

Banned
She's right though. Sony isn't even offering an alternative. Sounds more like to me their in hiding. They didn't even hint at a digital presentation. Hopefully they decide to do something akin to MS.
They're doing a great job of it.
72 T-flops has gotta be hard to hide.

The Alien

Banned
I was actually looking forward to GDC as Turn 10 was scheduled to show off the newest Forza and ray tracing.

While I dont see their name listed for the digital event, hopefully they still reveal some footage.

NonPhixion

I'm not sure if anyone has said this 16 times but is Microsoft doing a digital only show? I'd love to see more Halo.

Mass Shift

You: Sony has no content.

Me: Lists of a bunch of huge GAMES coming out soon.

You: No lists! We are here to discuss how Sony has no content.

Sony skipped E3 last year, they probably have two years worth of mind blowing exclusives to show off.

sublimit

Banned

I agree 100% that Sony is using this as a very convenient excuse (mostly for their investors) except for the "they don't have anything to show" part. I think they do have a lot of things to show they just want to show them on their own time and place.
Personally i'd prefer them to make a proper unveiling (whenever they are ready to do one) than slowly unveil their next console and their plans through random tweets.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
All these companies backing out of events seems a bit of a overreaction considering Corona is like the flu.

Top Bottom