• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is finally clarifying the situation regarding future Bethesda games

Mattyp

Gold Member
The thing is we don't know what they are going to do and what makes sense for MS. Maybe they would want to "eat" some damage and make some games exclusive.Or maybe timed-exclusive. Or maybe they will keep them multiplatform for the reasons you say.

Like i said Spencer's statement is once again very vague and no one can know what will happen in the future other than the things we already knew (like for games such as Death Loop,Ghostwite,ESO.Fallout76).

Just stop, there's nothing vague about it at all.

The delusion here is reaching sad levels when even the worst of the worst at reset have all accepted the outcome in their thread.

Blue Spring

Read my tears about xbox here --->
Possibly (probably) timed exclusivity on Game Pass/Microsoft Store on PC, but considering MS is actively putting out games on Steam right now, I don't see a world where it never comes out there.
That was a sarcastic question.

What does steam have to do with the conversation? Steam isn’t on PlayStation. It is on Windows PCs. The existing MMO elders scroll will be on PlayStation. None of this is difficult to understand.
You really dont see how bad your argument is?
Sony/Playstation was not mentioned -> they will get excluded

If I use the same logic you applied you could argue every plattform not mentioned in the conversation will get skipped.

Valve/Steam was not mentioned -> they will get excluded
Nintendo/Switch was not mentioned -> they will get excluded

Fredrik

Exactly xbox fans going crazy over nothing, i also want all new bethesda games to be exclusive to xbox, so we can finaly get some competition for sony, but im still confused as what new games will be exclusive and what games will come to playstation and other platforms. Why is it so hard to say all new games going forward are exclusive to xbox and pc. Simple and clear.
Ask yourself this: Why would they not be exclusive?

Anything not already announced will 100% be exclusive, anything under contract as a multiplat will be multiplat, existing legacy titles like ESO will be multiplat.

People are mixing up the legacy comment with existing IPs like The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Dishonored, Wolfenstein, DOOM, etc. But if those are multiplats then why even make them if their whole plan is to build great exclusives? They would have to scrap all old IPs for that scenario to happen. It’s just common sense that they’ll be exclusive, otherwise we won’t see any Bethesda exclusives in like 15 years.

The only thing that is unclear is if announced games like Starfield and Indiana Jones is already under contract as multiplats. I mean, yeah, they could be. Sony was there trying to get Starfield exclusive to PS so maybe they signed that up as a multiplat. But who knows. I imagine we’ll hear the definitive answer in the summer event. And I imagine it’ll be exclusive.

Mattyp

Gold Member

The only thing that is unclear is if announced games like Starfield and Indiana Jones is already under contract as multiplats. I mean, yeah, they could be. Sony was there trying to get Starfield exclusive to PS so maybe they signed that up as a multiplat. But who knows. I imagine we’ll hear the definitive answer in the summer event. And I imagine it’ll be exclusive.

Considering Jim Ryan came out and said before Microsoft announced this he had no idea if Starfield was coming to PS5 anymore there's no pre agreement.

Last edited:
Microsoft want a bigger user base, how do you do that? By keeping the games exclusive period

To be fair, they don't care about a console or platform userbase. They only care about the gamepass userbase. Subscription attach rate is the key metric here, as its monthly recurring revenue, which is the number one goal for modern software/technology companies. They want folks on gamepass, and if gamepass eventually came to PS or Switch (highly highly unlikely), MS would happily take their subscription fees as well; the key is gamepass exclusivity, not Xbox exclusivity.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Oh I didn’t know that. Then it’s definitely exclusive.

But maybe even Jim Ryan doesn't know!!

tumblr_nx7lruM3Fp1qb05aco3_400.gif

phil_t98

#SonyToo
To be fair, they don't care about a console or platform userbase. They only care about the gamepass userbase. Subscription attach rate is the key metric here, as its monthly recurring revenue, which is the number one goal for modern software/technology companies. They want folks on gamepass, and if gamepass eventually came to PS or Switch (highly highly unlikely), MS would happily take their subscription fees as well; the key is gamepass exclusivity, not Xbox exclusivity.
Yeah but it would be the same as putting PSnow on xbox, when ever you mention sony games or even PSnow going the other way people get all defensive. I cant see how its good for one to do it but not the other

Jigga117

That was a sarcastic question.

You really dont see how bad your argument is?
Sony/Playstation was not mentioned -> they will get excluded

If I use the same logic you applied you could argue every plattform not mentioned in the conversation will get skipped.

Valve/Steam was not mentioned -> they will get excluded
Nintendo/Switch was not mentioned -> they will get excluded
This is you and others thinking too hard on this. It should have never got to the point you got to jump they hoops to figure this out or accept. mS doesn’t need Sony PlayStation. Steam is already on Windows PC. Forza is on Steam money is being made in their eco system. They don’t need Sony. What existing games and contractual games that are coming to the PlayStation ends about there before the acquisition. Anyone expecting the next Doom or Starfield on PlayStation is delusional. Sony bit the Apple MS has been chewing on and why they made the new PlayStation Studios and why their games are coming to PC.

Interfectum

The thing is we don't know what they are going to do and what makes sense for MS. Maybe they would want to "eat" some damage and make some games exclusive.Or maybe timed-exclusive. Or maybe they will keep them multiplatform for the reasons you say.

Like i said Spencer's statement is once again very vague and no one can know what will happen in the future other than the things we already knew (like for games such as Death Loop,Ghostwite,ESO.Fallout76).
ray liotta laughing GIF

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
They still want to sell PS5s, the generation has just begun. Like I said, short and long term planning.

Both sell at a loss, it's the software and subscriptions that make up for it.

Short term both will focus on exclusivity, long term they will give up on that strategy in order to maximize profit.
If Microsoft wanted to publish it everywhere on GP then you wouldn't have seen series s/x which was just released, but instead the announcement that they went full third party.

We all agree on exclusives are important. If platform a has no exclusives but platform b has, no one's gonna buy platform a.

Everyone knows this. Microsoft knows this. This is why they bought Bethesda.

You can also use PSNow on pc and even buy some ps games. Does that mean Sony wants PSNow on xbox?

Even if Microsoft wanted, Sony would probably still say no given how isolated they are with anything.

Just look at how long cross play took.

Anything not already announced will 100% be exclusive, anything under contract as a multiplat will be multiplat, existing legacy titles like ESO will be multiplat.

People are mixing up the legacy comment with existing IPs like The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Dishonored, Wolfenstein, DOOM, etc. But if those are multiplats then why even make them if their whole plan is to build great exclusives? They would have to scrap all old IPs for that scenario to happen. It’s just common sense that they’ll be exclusive, otherwise we won’t see any Bethesda exclusives in like 15 years.

"Anything not already announced will 100% be exclusive"

See, why cant they just say that then, its simple and clear, also why is minecraft still being made for other platforms if its common sense as u say, my conclusion as to why they are being so vague, is to leave open the possibility of releasing games on playstation, if things don't work for them in terms of revenue from gamepass.

Interfectum

See, why cant they just say that then, its simple and clear, also why is minecraft still being made for other platforms if its common sense as u say, my conclusion as to why they are being so vague, is to leave open the possibility of releasing games on playstation, if things don't work for them in terms of revenue from gamepass.
The delusion here is palpable.
Jim Carrey Lol GIF

Humdinger

Well, that's a bummer, although I'd already figured as much, so it's not a surprise.

Assuming Starfield and the next Elder Scrolls turn out well -- which is not assured, given Bethesda's track record recently -- I guess I'll buy an Xbox eventually.

Fredrik

Nah man, then they essentially wasted 7.5 billion dollars since the whole plan was to get great exclusives...

To get exclusives without making Bethesda’s old IPs exclusive they would have to make all new IPs instead.

And we know TES6 is in development, which would mean no exclusive until that’s done in like 2025.
It would make zero sense.

I’d say everyone should expect TES, Fallout, Doom, Wolfenstein, Dishonored to be exclusive until we hear something else.

MaulerX

“If you’re an Xbox customer, this is about delivering great exclusive games for you, on platforms where Game Pass exists.” - Phil Spencer

Anybody that thought otherwise was delusional. You don't spend $7.5B just to put your games on competing platforms. If they just wanted their games on Game Pass it would have cost alot less.

It's all about growing Game Pass subscriptions. This is how you do it. With exclusive content.

Last edited:

Shmunter

While you do have massive PlayStation bias it ain’t a problem, i just dont agree with you all the time. I do own a ps4 as well as xbox
The bias you see is a culmination of various things I agree with which happens to come under PlayStation. If I don’t like something I call it out, including Sony decisions. I then myself get pushback from the true fanatics that see no wrong ever because it’s branded.

I’m never that guy, and strive to have considered basis for my praise or criticism all the while balancing with a few laughs here and there.

Redlight

The bias you see is a culmination of various things I agree with which happens to come under PlayStation. If I don’t like something I call it out, including Sony decisions. I then myself get pushback from the true fanatics that see no wrong ever because it’s branded.

I’m never that guy, and strive to have considered basis for my praise or criticism all the while balancing with a few laughs here and there.
Come on now.

You may have convinced yourself that your very pro-Sony stance is due to your superior rationality but, let's face it, that's what all the warriors think.

Sorry to break it to you. :)

Maybe this will take the pressure off the PS5 and its scalpers so we can finally have them widely available.

I’ll take Final Fantasy XVI over next TES, easily. FF VII remake this month is reminding me why I love the series so much. And by the time TES VI releases, Sony will probably have unassailable lead in sales. Some timed exclusive deal with Rockstar would balance the things out. Sony still needs to be vigilant, things could still get out of hand.

Batiman

Banned
Phil spelling it out as clear as day and people are still reading whatever they want to see. Games already released on all platforms I’ll continue to get support. Games under contracts will continue to be on Sony platforms. Besides that everything else is exclusive. It’s unbelievable this shit had to be explained.

wolffy71

Banned
Phil Spencer says, these games will be exclusive to gamepass platforms OTHER than those contractually obligated or games as a service(what he is actually saying). Every dumb person one earth says, "so these are all still coming to PS5 then". Theres not gonna be many games that Bethesda have signed onto Sony with that we havent already heard. Maybe some vr thing or dlc for something older but nothing new. You cant expect him to speak in definite terms when theres two games already announced for PS5 and a bunch of dlc and expansions for GAAS and older games. People who expect him to list every game individually need to learn to read between the lines a little better.

You can lead a horse to water but you cant make em drink.

tillbot8

Banned
Crap, love me some Fallout but I'm not buying a new console just to play it so I'll have to give it a miss. But totally understand Microsoft's position they are playing to win and have every right to do so!

e&e

Banned
No they did not.
They only said things we already knew (like keeping the contracts of games like Death loop and Ghostwire) while also keeping games like ESO and F76 multiplatform.

"Legacy" though can mean games that have a history on other platforms like Playstation with Fallout (Fallout 3 & 4), TES (Oblivion and Skyrim) and many others. And he refered to "legacy games" separately from the previous two categories (contracts and online games).

It was a vague statement and i'm honestly tired to play Spencer's riddle games every time he talks.
You know how to make everything easy, expect nothing so you don’t get your hopes up (and just buy the game on PC or Xbox).

Mikey Jr.

Will miss fallout and elder scrolls.

Honestly, the rest of bethesda game I can take it or leave them.

I'll probably just cloud stream those 2 on xcloud and thats it.

That’s really cool they need that, their exclusive studios were a joke and I ditched them after the 360, nobody wants to keep playing gears and halo. It just became boring predictive crap

Top Bottom