• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | We Don't Need Roads

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Made a pass under the Golden Gate Bridge while inverted. I tried this in a A320Neo and I just couldn't get it roll over. Didn't end well.
Microsoft-Flight-Golden-Gate.jpg

Freeman76

Make them way more detailed.

Hard to comprehend how they could be any more detailed! I noticed in the discovery section I couldnt play the bottom section as Indidnt have the relevant packs. I queued them from the marketplace and could immediately play all those discoveries even though the downloads hadnt started.

Woke up this morning and they still havent started downloading, guess I need the game open? 30GB in total with all packs, is that right?

Schmick

To access the free downloads such as the world updates go to profile and then content manager, there you can be selective.

The world updates are regular updates that provide improvements such as geometry, building type and add more photogrammetry to cities to specific regions, so far

Update 1 - Japan
Update 2 - USA
Update 3 - UK
Update 4 - France & Benelux
Update 5 - The Nordics

Soon to be released Update 6 - Germany.

I think Asobo are planning 6 world updates a year and 6 sim updates.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Question reguarding the updates, does anybody know if you put the console in standby mode do the updates keep downloading in the game?
When you go to normal console updates section it doesn’t show anything downloading but go back into the game and you can see the progress of the downloads.

I switched min off at midnight last night so curious to see if they continued

Question reguarding the updates, does anybody know if you put the console in standby mode do the updates keep downloading in the game?
When you go to normal console updates section it doesn’t show anything downloading but go back into the game and you can see the progress of the downloads.

I switched min off at midnight last night so curious to see if they continued
i don't know but would love to know this too. seems it the same as it is on PC where you download the game but it's not all of the game. it kinda acts like a launcher then you need to boot the game up for it to download updates inside the game. so it works differently from a standard game which you don't need to be running to download an update. with flight sim i'd think if you put into suspension then it'd pause the update too but i'm not 100% if that's the case.

i had a ~300MB update on steam for the game but when i load it i need to download 40GB. also, according to steam my total play time is 47 hours but in game i've only flew for about 20 hours. that other 27 hours has mostly been me running the game to update it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
It's just me or the framerate is quite junky at times?
it's one of the most demanding games out and very CPU heavy so yeah the frame rate can be low at times. this is the only game i had to cap at 30fps on my PC lol and even then it can go to about 20fps. flying a little plane over the UK countryside - solid 30fps. flying a 747 out of new york/london - ~20-25fps.

Last edited:
jeez they've broken the game. screen is flickering black/white and my mouse/keyboard can't interact with the UI properly. can't do shit.

edit: nvm working now. just glitched out

Last edited:

Greggy

Fantastic game but it's also the first one to strongly make the case for the XSX storage expansion as far as I'm concerned. 120 GB after installation I discover that there are all those packs and extra content that are easily worth 10 GB each available for download.

Fantastic game but it's also the first one to strongly make the case for the XSX storage expansion as far as I'm concerned. 120 GB after installation I discover that there are all those packs and extra content that are easily worth 10 GB each available for download.
i'm at 151GB on PC and i haven't even installed any 3rd party dlc or downloaded map data to a manual cache. i have an 8GB rolling cache but everything else is the base game and the official world updates.

i have a 2TB ssd so got plenty of room but can't imagine dealing with this game on a Series X or S.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Bit of a buggy mess on the XSX at the minute, choppy, missing sounds and crashing back to the consoles main UI for no reason..

Looks good though.

nemiroff

Gold Member
i don't know but would love to know this too. seems it the same as it is on PC where you download the game but it's not all of the game. it kinda acts like a launcher then you need to boot the game up for it to download updates inside the game. so it works differently from a standard game which you don't need to be running to download an update. with flight sim i'd think if you put into suspension then it'd pause the update too but i'm not 100% if that's the case.

i had a ~300MB update on steam for the game but when i load it i need to download 40GB. also, according to steam my total play time is 47 hours but in game i've only flew for about 20 hours. that other 27 hours has mostly been me running the game to update it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yeah it only downloads and updates in-game. It doesn't bother me that much since I can just alt-tab and do something else while waiting. BUT, it has its challenges since I'm on a 5950x/3080 and GPU utilization is 90% when updating for some reason.. So now when it's summer and I had updated for a few hours it was unbearably hot in the room where the PC is, no joke.. Doing VR in 30 Celsius is not that comfortable, lol.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
btw how is the loading on XSX?

my PC with pcie4.0 ssd still takes a while to reach the main menu, i think 20-30s loading bar. There are tiny hitches still while in the air as the maps data change.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
btw how is the loading on XSX?

my PC with pcie4.0 ssd still takes a while to reach the main menu, i think 20-30s loading bar. There are tiny hitches still while in the air as the maps data change.
It’s not that great to be honest,.

nemiroff

Gold Member
thats disappointing, i expected DX12 directstorage to smooth things better even if my ssd paper specs are faster than XSX one 🤷‍♀️

I suspect it's something generally similar to when the game is updating/installing; It might not be about the actual transfer speed but about things being processed as they are being loaded.

Ammogeddon

Anyone else’s flight school bugged on XSX. None of them work properly. It won’t proceed to the objectives.

Last edited:
how do i get rid of those pop up labels when hovering over stuff in the cockpit? yeah i'm using a controller but i also use my mouse to click on stuff so i don't need them. they are annoying and get in the way.

feel like they've ruined it on PC by bringing all this xbox stuff over. i can't seem to disable the pop ups and the virtual mouse thing.

Calverz

Just brilliant.
Cant believe my house is in there - my car is even parked outside. Just crazy.
I did the set Bora Bora flight and noticed a tiny island in the distance - it took over 20 minutes but I flew to it.

I can see myself still playing this 10 years from now - ill be planning and flying trips for years.

Having some control issues unless its intentional. In the training stages my plane is pulling to the bottom right corner when I am touching nothing - is this intentional or is this a stick deadzone issue? Getting a flight stick is very tempting - no clue how I would properly set it up for couch/recliner gaming though.
More than likely a stick dead zone issue. Easily changed in the control settings. Hit the small blue box on left that says sensitivity

Topher

Gold Member
That performance increase on PC is
You Got It Ok GIF by Originals

I didn't play the game prior to yesterday, but I was getting 48fps at 4K, high settings. That is a lot better than all the horror stories I read of this game "frying" PCs.

And my PC is not high-end.

AMD RTX 3700X
RTX 2080 Super

I adjusted resolution scaling down to about 80 and I'm pretty close to 60fps.

WoodyStare

Game runs surprisingly well over console streaming/LTE connection, got a quick flight done before work. Plays great with a controller but I definitely prefer the T-Flight Hotas. Can’t wait to get back to it later, I keep planning where I’m going to explore next.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Just brilliant.
Cant believe my house is in there - my car is even parked outside. Just crazy.
I did the set Bora Bora flight and noticed a tiny island in the distance - it took over 20 minutes but I flew to it.

I can see myself still playing this 10 years from now - ill be planning and flying trips for years.

Having some control issues unless its intentional. In the training stages my plane is pulling to the bottom right corner when I am touching nothing - is this intentional or is this a stick deadzone issue? Getting a flight stick is very tempting - no clue how I would properly set it up for couch/recliner gaming though.

I'm having the exact same issue. Doesn't happen all the time, but I had to abort a training mission because I had to keep fighting the controls. Seems like a bug to me. Hopefully they will fix.

I went back to PC from XSS because I have a non-Xbox compatible flight stick. Makes a big difference, imo.

Javthusiast

Banned
Started a flight in japan from one city to tokyo. Paused and went away for 2 hours, came back and it is pitch dark. I thought my game had a bug, but no. At 9 pm it is apparently already full on night over there.

Couldn't see shit over water, but thankfully there were city lights on the horizon.

Cities full of lights at night look great, but I also almost crashed into a mountain cause it was so dark without any lights on it. xD

Currently while typing this still not reached the airport in tokyo. Chose a slow plane to take in the view.

Top Bottom