• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | We Don't Need Roads

Aion002

One loading... Then one screen, goes to another loading.... That gives another loading.

13 minutes in and no game to play.... Just loading screens.

Blink 182 Reaction GIF

First Xbox Next Gen title.

letterkenny easter GIF by CraveTV

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The update wouldn't pop for me on PC, so I deleted and went to reinstall. Message says 'Online services down, online functionality disabled' and a now I have an infinite 'Looking for Updates' loop. Disappointing, but not as bad as if I was playing for the first time. What do they expect to happen when Halo or Forza launch? It will be multiple times worse.

*edit* Installing now. This installation manager says 1.18.13.0, which is the new version compared to the old 1.17.3.0 I had yesterday. Thank goodness for unlimited data plans. I probably do 1TB/month just on my own Game Pass debauchery.

Last edited:

Schmick

The update wouldn't pop for me on PC, so I deleted and went to reinstall. 'Online Services Down, online functionality disable' and a infinite 'Looking for Updates' loop. Disappointing, but not as bad as if I was playing for the first time. What do they expect to happen when Halo or Forza launch? It will be multiple times worse.
How the hell do they sort out a situation like this? I guess the upgrades to servers wouldn't be worth it for just launch day/one day.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
How many players can be in a group? Surely we need to have a NeoGaf formation flight?
Not sure, I didn't really bothered with any of the information, I just jumped in and well that's it. Cessna is really easy to fly, well I guess if you know what you are doing at least. It's slightly turbolent, tho and due to that I am wasting too much fuel. But it was always a 2 leg deal anyway.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
How the hell do they sort out a situation like this? I guess the upgrades to servers wouldn't be worth it for just launch day/one day.
Overestimate anticipated server load, and do a staggered rollout instead of simultaneous global release.

P.S.- I think it's 4 players in multiplayer mode. I'm down to do some formation flying. Warning: I don't know what I'm doing, but that should make it better.

jaysius

Banned
When I load up the training the plane isn't 100% level, I have to level it out, do I have stick drift or are they fucking with you like that? Maybe there's a setting for deadzone or sensitivity I could use?

Schmick

When I load up the training the plane isn't 100% level, I have to level it out, do I have stick drift or are they fucking with you like that? Maybe there's a setting for deadzone or sensitivity I could use?
Normally I would say it was the trim that you need to adjust in this scenario. But since it's in a training mode I would have thought trim would be taken over by AI.

splattered

How customizable are the flight sticks? I think i saw a decent looking one for $199 (Thrustmaster?) but the controls looked like they were laid out in reverse from what i'd want to try? Steer w left hand throttle with right hand? (Which tbh i've never tried a flight stick so i may prefer the way it looks in pics now)

jaysius

Banned
Normally I would say it was the trim that you need to adjust in this scenario. But since it's in a training mode I would have thought trim would be taken over by AI.
It is controlled for the first few lessons, but they let you control it yourself after those. It's just odd, the plane spawns and the thingy showing level isn't 100% level when you've spawned in.

Multi core support and faster loading??? Yeeeeess!

hoping I can crank my settings up a bit more. Well everything is at ultra already but if I can increase shadow/detail quality that’ll be great,

Last edited:

Billbofet

I showed my six year old son videos of this a few weeks back. My mistake as it is pretty much the only thing he can talk about. Every day he has asked how many more days until he can fly over our house, his friend's houses, his school, his camp, Disneyland......
I really hope he enjoys it and it's accessible enough for him to fly without crashing right away.
He knows today is the day and asked me to take the day off from work, pick him up early, and don't tell my wife or daughter that we'll be in the basement all night. I negotiated him down to having to wait until after dinner, but I know I'm going to have to peel him away from the couch for bedtime.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I showed my six year old son videos of this a few weeks back. My mistake as it is pretty much the only thing he can talk about. Every day he has asked how many more days until he can fly over our house, his friend's houses, his school, his camp, Disneyland......
I really hope he enjoys it and it's accessible enough for him to fly without crashing right away.
He knows today is the day and asked me to take the day off from work, pick him up early, and don't tell my wife or daughter that we'll be in the basement all night. I negotiated him down to having to wait until after dinner, but I know I'm going to have to peel him away from the couch for bedtime.
I know this feeling. I gave my lad my Series S today, havent seen him for two hours :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Mozzarella

Question for Flight players.
Do i need a joystick to enjoy this game? keyboard and mouse make the experience worse or its about the same? And what joystick do you recommend?

my little hometown at dusk:

Xcc09SK.jpg

Oh shit. I completely forgot about night time flying.

I having a blast with this so far. And apart from using the less than ideal gamepad for the sim (need to get proper flight controls) this thing has blown me away. No idea if it’s VRR on my LGCX but the performance has been so smooth that unless I knew it was 30fps there is no way I’d have guessed that. The only jank and stutter I’ve seen in the game is sometimes with the cursor in the menus.

Asobo are Gods.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I linked the official MSFS Known Issues page in response to a post in the review thread, but it might be useful here, as well.

KNOWN ISSUES (Last update: July 27, 2021)​

Support Updated : Today at 12:28 August 20, 2020 01:46

Please find below a list of other known issues and solutions (when available)

INSTALLATION

• Leaving the title while downloading content for 10+ minutes causes the download to restart in Content Manager.
    • Workaround:
      • Restart downloads if title is suspended during content download
  • Xbox users have extended loading time on the "Take a Pilots Seat" and "Waiting for Updates" screen
    • Workaround:
      • It eventually loads in after waiting. The team is currently looking into this issue.

MENU

• Unable to navigate through some of the menus due to freezing or the cursor jumps around and does not interact with menu elements.
    • Workaround:
      • Stop or pause any downloading content, restarting the game, connecting a USB mouse, and even opening the Xbox Guide and closing it again

CTDs

• Downloading ~25 GB of content and entering a flight durations of 2+ hours may cause a crash or service disconnection issue
    • Workaround:
      • On Xbox: press the Xbox (jewel) button on the console face once, which places the console into connected standby mode. Then, press it again to wake it back up.
  • Sim may crash after connecting / disconnecting peripheral
        • No known workaround at this time
  • Sim may crash when flying with AI traffic
          • Workaround:
            • Set AI Traffic settings off by going to General > Traffic > Aircraft Traffic Type > OFF
  • Sim crashes when returning to default profile for Mouse from a custom one
    • Workaround:
      • Users who are unable to manipulate the aircraft instrument panels due to using a custom profile for the Mouse and are unable to switch to the default profile for this bug can work around this by switching to the Legacy interaction model.

MULTIPLAYER/ONLINE SERVICES

• Xbox Live Friends will not appear on in-game leaderboards unless a friend request has also been sent and accepted within the sim
    • Workaround:
      • If users do not see leaderboards propagating as expected, ensure that friends are added within the sim
  • Marketplace is greyed out
    • Workaround:
      • You have have run into an authentication issue and have been switched to offline unintentionally. You can manually change it by going to Options > General > Data > Online Functionality to ON

PERIPHERALS/CONTROLS

• Syncing customized controller mappings from a PC build to console may cause the controller to become unresponsive other than the B button.
    • Workaround:
      • Select the Default controller profile in your PC settings and sync the updated settings to the Console. Go to Manage Game > Saved Date > Delete Your Profile
      • Use an external mouse attached directly to the console to update to the Default controller profile and then customize as needed.
  • User can get stuck in the Freelook view and be unable to bring the cursor back up
    • Workarounds:
      • Restart the flight, this will set the Cockpit Camera Type back to Fixed Look.
      • Use a mouse and press the scroll wheel in, this will change Camera Type back to Fixed Look.
      • Go to Options > General > Camera > Cockpit Camera > Toggle Home cockpit mode "OFF".

SCENERY

• Textures in Free Flight do not properly render nearing both the North and South Poles
    • Workaround: Select another location for Free Flight
  • Groups in Free-Flight causes TIN Data to fail to continually load in during Multiplayer
    • Workaround:
      • Leave the group
      • Re-enter gameplay with open MP Settings

AIRCRAFT/AVIONICS

• Plane altitude is different than expected
    • No known workaround
  • COM radio unexpectedly goes off frequency shortly after departure on IFR flight plan
    • Workaround:
      • To recover, the user can tune back to the previous frequency.
  • Pilot informs ATC they are descending to their assigned altitude even though they're still below it
    • No known workaround
  • Fuel information not saving in flight (FLT) files so user starts off with no fuel
    • Workaround:
      • Refuel after flight loads

FLIGHT PLANNING

• User will not be able to launch a saved flight plan using a deleted aircraft. The FLY button in the loading screen will be disabled with no messaging.
    • Workaround:
      • Re-install missing aircraft used in saved flight plan
      • Create new flight plan with valid aircraft installed
  • User may see incorrect duplicate waypoints in their flight plan
    • Workaround:
      • Click on the destination and press "insert before" to enter your waypoints in the correct order
  • On VFR flight plan aircraft automatically under Flight Following without having request it
    • Workarounds: Depending on whether the flight departed a controlled or uncontrolled airport the steps to cancel Flight Following will differ:
      • Uncontrolled Airport
        • After taking off and when the option becomes available, tune to Departure and cancel Flight Following.
      • Controlled Airport
        • Take-off and exit the airport's airspace.
        • Tune to the tower of a nearby controlled airport (may be the one that you just took off from).
        • Request permission to land.
        • After given your landing clearance cancel your landing intentions.
        • Tune to Departure.
        • Cancel Flight Following.

Last edited:

Null Persp

The installer/updater was slow even days ago when I downloaded the game, I have a 1 Gbps connection and this game download speed tops at 30 ~ 40 Mbps.

lachesis

I turned on to check out - but also was stuck on that african screen with no online content avail.
I guess it's putting too much stress on the servers or whatnot... guess I will check it out on later date, once the whole launch craze goes down. :(
I would have loved to visited places that I grew up and all. Reminds me of the day when Keyhole was first announced (and later became google earth), I was jumping all over the earth checking out... ;)

MastAndo

Gold Member
Having tried this on PC, even with an underpowered CPU, I'm finding the lower framerate and motion blur to be jarring in comparison. I know it's not a requirement in a game like this, so it's probably just a personal thing, but I would really have appreciated a 60 fps mode at a lower resolution. It still looks lovely and it's impressive to see this running on a console.

Last edited:
Top Bottom