• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | We Don't Need Roads

Wulfer

MS is superior on the road. Their on there way to owning the RPG's and now they own the skies. Online gaming is clearly a strength. What genre should MS tackle next? I bought the Deluxe Premium of MFS it's a dream come true to a wannbe pilot!

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Something else as in?

ezgif-2-f80d8ec687.gif

series s holding back next gen big time

hitting 60fps with VRR?

I don't see an FPS counter on the video so not buying it but if its true there is something else going on here

I am skeptical this game runs at 60fps especially when it is streaming data off the cloud. I'd be happy with a stable 30. I guess we'll see soon.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
They said it was 30fps, and that on screens with VRR it's uncapped and can go higher.

It's just being spun to make it seem bigger than it is. Series S is packing a punch and it looks pretty good. There's more limited draw distance, but you have to keep expectations in check FS2020 is a very heavy game.

Last edited:

twilo99

I am skeptical this game runs at 60fps especially when it is streaming data off the cloud. I'd be happy with a stable 30. I guess we'll see soon.

I don't its running at 60fps, its able to hit 60fps at certain locations when VRR is enabled, which I find a bit strange considering what game we are talking about.

I think they might be helping it along with the cloud thing somehow? But why wouldn't that be the case for PC as well then..

Last edited:
i've started my flight around the world now i've got the hang of the game. bought it when it came out on PC but struggled to get into it. i've found my favourite plane which is the Dahmer TBM 930.

i've been doing short flights but feel ready to do longer ones. here is my progress so far (starts at the black dot/Glasgow):

l4HVRKs.jpg

Flights:
1# Glasgow > Prestwick.
2# Prestwick > Aldergrove
3# Aldergrove > Dublin
4# Dublin > Llanbedr
5# Llanbedr > Liverpool
6# Liverpool > Newcastle
7# Newcastle > Leuchars
8# Leuchars > Inverness

the thicker orange path is where i plan to fly next. i want to get out of the UK for now. i was originally planning to fly from Newcastle down towards London and then over the channel to France but headed back up to Scotland. I'll head up from Inverness to the Orkney Islands. I know i've drawn the flight path as going up the coast but i might fly abover the highlands towards Orkney Islands. Next i'll head to Shetland Islands and from then it's my longest flight yet over the North Sea towards Norway. I haven't made up my mind where to go from there...but i'm thinking maybe land at Stavanger and head north up to Trondheim and work my way down to Oslo. I want to explore Norway, Sweden, Finland.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

i've started my flight around the world now i've got the hang of the game. bought it when it came out on PC but struggled to get into it. i've found my favourite plane which is the Dahmer TBM 930.

i've been doing short flights but feel ready to do longer ones. here is my progress so far (starts at the black dot/Glasgow):

l4HVRKs.jpg

Flights:
1# Glasgow > Prestwick.
2# Prestwick > Aldergrove
3# Aldergrove > Dublin
4# Dublin > Llanbedr
5# Llanbedr > Liverpool
6# Liverpool > Newcastle
7# Newcastle > Leuchars
8# Leuchars > Inverness

the thicker orange path is where i plan to fly next. i want to get out of the UK for now. i was originally planning to fly from Newcastle down towards London and then over the channel to France but headed back up to Scotland. I'll head up from Inverness to the Orkney Islands. I know i've drawn the flight path as going up the coast but i might fly abover the highlands towards Orkney Islands. Next i'll head to Shetland Islands and from then it's my longest flight yet over the North Sea towards Norway. I haven't made up my mind where to go from there...but i'm thinking maybe land at Stavanger and head north up to Trondheim and work my way down to Oslo. I want to explore Norway, Sweden, Finland.
You haven't tried The Mach Loop in an Airbus A320?!!!? :)

so i see that this game is on Steam, is there any advantage to buying it there vs the MS store?
no advantages in terms of the game itself but Steam makes it way more manageable. Downloads are faster and the MS Store is just generally trash. I used to download games from MS but they put bullshit permissions on your drive so if you ever reinstall windows it'll mean having to wipe the entire drive and downloading the entire game again. If you download from Steam you can keep it installed on your drive and just point Steam to it when you're back. Steam is less hassle to deal with.

Last edited:
no advantages in terms of the game itself but Steam makes it way more manageable. Downloads are faster and the MS Store is just generally trash. I used to download games from on it but they put bullshit permissions on your drive so if you ever reinstall windows it'll mean having to wipe the entire drive and downloading the entire game again. If you download from Steam you can keep it installed on your drive and just point Steam to it when you're back. Steam is less hassle to deal with.
well that makes the decision easier, thanks!

ok, one last question: does it matter what type of drive i install the game on? do i need to put it on an SSD to run properly?

it doesn't matter in that both HDD + SSD are supported. you can install it on whatever you want but i highly recommend SSD. MS recommends any kind of drive but "ideal" is SSD.

Minimum SpecRecommended SpecIdeal Spec
CPUAMD Ryzen 3 1200
Intel i5-4460
Ryzen 5 1500X
Intel i5-8400
AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 2700X
Intel i7-9800X
GPURadeon RX 570
Nvidia GTX 700
Radeon RX 590
Nvidia GTX 970
Radeon VII
Nvidia RTX 2080
VRAM2GB4GB8GB
RAM8GB16GB32GB
Storage150 GB150 GB150 GB (SSD)
Minimum OS versionWindows 10 Nov 2019 update (1909)Windows 10 Nov 2019 update (1909)Windows 10 Nov 2019 update (1909)

Last edited:
so i'm playing on an Omen 17 2070 off of the SSD. i'm getting this after some making adjustments to target a smooth 30 fps (on the first tutorial level):

xcLFiH1.jpg

will it perform this well on more demanding scenes?

MrFunSocks

Banned
so i'm playing on an Omen 17 2070 off of the SSD. i'm getting this after some making adjustments to target a smooth 30 fps (on the first tutorial level):

xcLFiH1.jpg

will it perform this well on more demanding scenes?
I'd say so. The game that releases on Xbox is vastly more optimized than the current PC release, and PC is getting the optimized version at the same time. There are official videos floating around where they're showing like 30%+ less CPU usage at some of the most demanding areas with the new patch.

I'd say so. The game that releases on Xbox is vastly more optimized than the current PC release, and PC is getting the optimized version at the same time. There are official videos floating around where they're showing like 30%+ less CPU usage at some of the most demanding areas with the new patch.
30%, wow, that's a huge jump. can't wait to test it.

MrFunSocks

Banned
30%, wow, that's a huge jump. can't wait to test it.
Here's the video btw: Flight Simulator Is Finally Getting A Massive Performance Upgrade (kotaku.com.au)

Towards the end, a shot of Task Manager is revealed, showing massive memory utilisation, a maxed out CPU and 75% utilisation for the GPU, even though the game’s running in 4K.
The latest update is vastly more efficient. Using the same settings, city, time of day and flight path, the same system now uses all of the GPU, memory use is almost halved (~27GB down to 14.5GB) and the CPU is running at about 75% utilisation.

That makes it easier to play Flight Simulator on lower-end rigs while still having other things open, like a Chrome tab or 10. The frame rate is now hovers around 54-60 FPS for most of this test, and all of the stuttering is largely resolved.
Developer Sebastian Wloch estimated, on this system at least, a 20 to 30 FPS improvement. That’s enormous; that’s double in some scenarios. And this is in the worst case scenario for Flight Simulator: frame rates are generally much better in less populated environments, like mountains or the game’s various bush trips.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
so i see that this game is on Steam, is there any advantage to buying it there vs the MS store?

None when I bought the Steam version last year (so that's my disclaimer, I assume it's the same now). The main game doesn't download from Steam. Steam basically only links to a small installer, and the game downloads/updates all of its contents via its own integrated content manager (and thus as far as I can see via their own, but fast servers).

And be aware that if you have an Xbox Series and buy via Steam you probably will not be able to use the Play Anywhere feature.

The only plus for Steam as I see it is that Steam has a refund option.

no advantages in terms of the game itself but Steam makes it way more manageable. Downloads are faster and the MS Store is just generally trash. I used to download games from MS but they put bullshit permissions on your drive so if you ever reinstall windows it'll mean having to wipe the entire drive and downloading the entire game again. If you download from Steam you can keep it installed on your drive and just point Steam to it when you're back. Steam is less hassle to deal with.

That's not entirely true though. The game doesn't use Steam servers to download, but Microsoft's own servers. And the main bulk of the game resides under the "appData" folder on your drive, so you can easily access and copy/paste those files without admin rights to a new drive or folder to avoid redownloading 99% (?) of the game.

And AFAIK if we're talking about the same thing there's no more need to "wipe the drive". IDK, there was a bug in Windows 10 a few years ago where the WindowsApp folder was causing serious issues. Before this was fixed I had the same issue when I moved a non-OS drive that contained a Windows store / WindowsApps folder to a different computer. The result was that Windows refused to boot because the folder was missing.. it was borked.. I spent two days studying and restoring the boot via an elaborate scheme of copy and paste of hidden partition contents.

Looks fantastic on Series X and Series S. Does anyone know if there any Orbx content is available on Xbox?

It says "coming soon" at the end there.. So I guess no right now (?), but yes soon..

Last edited:

avin

I've arranged things. The appropriate people have been paid, bribed, or otherwise convinced to lower expectations of me in real life. When this launches, I'll be ready.

avin

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: JLB

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
One of the primary reasons why some people are running in here to say it doesn't look good on series s is that it's really looking good enough to validate the very idea of the S - a machine capable of playing newer games at 1080p, which in most cases it does quite well. Yes, there is exceptions, but as more and more 1st party games that optimized hit, it just proves the little s is up to the task if given a little effort. The game is looking great on both, looking foreward to it!

Last edited:
One of the primary reasons why some people are running in here to say it doesn't look good on series s is that it's really looking good enough to validate the very idea of the S - a machine capable of playing beer games at 1080p, which in most cases it does quite well. Yes, there is exceptions, but as more and more 1st party games that optimized hit, it just proves the little s is up to the tast if given a little effort. The game is looking great on both, looking foreward to it!
For some reason the XSS gets held to higher standards than systems that cost more. It is so odd. This is just another example of getting the same experience for less money. You are 100% correct.

MrFunSocks

Banned
For some reason the XSS gets held to higher standards than systems that cost more. It is so odd. This is just another example of getting the same experience for less money. You are 100% correct.
GAF on Steam Deck: 30fps is fine guys! Games will look AMAZING at 30fps on low settings at 720p! We're not graphics whores, graphics don't matter, neither does framerate over 30fps. 2TF is AMAZING power because it's RDNA2! Games scale easily, you just turn down a few settings and the resolution! SD Cards are fine for playing games from, you don't need any fast IO.
GAF on Series S: Ewww 4TF? That's going to hold the entire industry back! Imagine only playing a game at 1440p60fps or 1080p120fps, what are we, plebs? You can't just change some games settings to low and expect it to run on 4TF!

It's both funny and infuriating to watch.

Last edited:
This game has the best graphics so far this gen excited to play on my 4K tv this Tuesday
I'd say technically it's the best console release yet but obviously some other games are more visually appealing. I'm gonna play this tomorrow night, hopefully I don't find it boring.

Top Bottom