• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | We Don't Need Roads

Unbelievable to think you can travel the whole planet on a flight simulator that costs £250/$299 machine and it looks this good!

Wow! The crow has been served with this one release. Thing is those of us who understand tech knew that the Series S is packed with next gen technology. The whole One X has a better GPU was just the usual suspects playing down the Series S. As games transition to next gen only we will see RDNA2 tech being used to its full extent and that's why Series S is a viable budget next gen system.

Wow! The crow has been served with this one release. Thing is those of us who understand tech knew that the Series S is packed with next gen technology. The whole One X has a better GPU was just the usual suspects playing down the Series S. As games transition to next gen only we will see RDNA2 tech being used to its full extent and that's why Series S is a viable budget next gen system.

Uh, congrats?
Thing is those of us who understand tech know that the Series X is packed with next gen technology. Just the usual suspects playing down the Series X.

Schmick

Early preview didn’t like this aspect. Must admit can’t imagine that part being great.
Since FS has been released on PC the developers have proven over and over again they value gamer feedback. If you have any feedback to give they'll be more than happy to listen.

Alternatively there is mouse and keyboard support.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Hmmm….apparently the controls are a mouse pointer using an analog stick?

Wtf, didn’t they spend any time creating a console friendly ui?
That's pretty disappointing if true. I was hoping it would be game-afied a bit for the console release with proper controls and even special events, races, cargo drops.

Such a big and beautiful game... it'd be a shame if they don't expand it to give it greater appeal.

Last edited:
I'm great. I just thought it was weird that you flexed on the Xbox One X to justify cheaping out this gen.
You must have missed all the posts of people claiming the X1X was more powerful than the XSS. Some even recommend getting the X1X over the XSS despite it not getting any of the new generation games like Flight Sim for example. It is pretty interesting you call the XSS cheaping out when it has capabilities the best console last generation doesn't have. Again why hold the lower end console to the highest standards? So odd.

Schmick

That's pretty disappointing if true. I was hoping it would be game-afied a bit for the console release with proper controls and even special events, races, cargo drops.

Such a big and beautiful game... it'd be a shame if they don't expand it to give it greater appeal.
Theres the free Top Gun DLC. Not sure when that is releasing. They annouced it at E3.

MOTM

Banned
Is there an official review thread for this? The reviews are starting to roll out and it’s extremely positive.

Shmunter

You must have missed all the posts of people claiming the X1X was more powerful than the XSS. Some even recommend getting the X1X over the XSS despite it not getting any of the new generation games like Flight Sim for example. It is pretty interesting you call the XSS cheaping out when it has capabilities the best console last generation doesn't have. Again why hold the lower end console to the highest standards? So odd.
Last gen’s fundamental problem was the Mickey Mouse CPU’s. Current consoles fix it.

But that’s just the bare minimum expected. The XsS with the small ram and low tf gpu is still the new gen tard pack any way you cut it.

Schmick

Last gen’s fundamental problem was the Mickey Mouse CPU’s. Current consoles fix it.

But that’s just the bare minimum expected. The XsS with the small ram and low tf gpu is still the new gen tard pack any way you cut it.
£250. Thats all the XSS costs. And it plays FS2020. Right now FS2020 is one of the games (along with R&C) that has set the technical benchmark.

Riky

$MSFT
"Perhaps most importantly, though, this is Microsoft Flight Simulator on console in all its glory, and with that sense of splendour and wonder unsullied by the small imperfections along the way. It remains one of the most breathtaking videogame achievements in recent years, and on console one of the most incredible next-gen experiences to date."

From Eurogamer, seems it basically translates well for a PC SIM.

nemiroff

Gold Member

Well, they kinda did add some of those things for the console release (and also coming to the PC version). Although not a completely new UI, they actually added some features like f.ex. broadening the AI pilot options, discovery flights, a lot more POIs and map options with a deeper integrating of Bing maps features. Also it has tons of shortcuts for controller via the bumper buttons, and navigating the cockpit with a controller apparently works fine. This review talks about some of these things:

Last edited:

LMJ

Will be very interesting to see if this can finally escape the niche status

lol I'm anticipating a lot of returned copies from those expecting something more...arcadey (yes despite the word "sim" in the title)

game looks hella pretty though

Stuart360

I dont know as i havent played the Xbox verison, but i think they mean its like some games do when there is a lot of menus and options etc, where they do it where you control a pointer with the sticks. Some Ubisoft games like Ass Creed do the same.
In fact its actually how i control my PC (Xpadder), as i'm a couch PC player lol.

Burger

There are limits for any dev team. If what they have now works - this sort of thing drops way down the list. Look at the bug list, look at the wish list. The demands from across the player base are huge. It might be something that gets a do over in the future (like the perf update for pc players) but there are more important things to work on.

yesterday i flew from Inverness up to Kirkwall. when i was landing i knew i was going a bit too fast but thought i could manage the landing but apparently i crashed. couldn't be bothered flying the whole route again so today teleported to approach but the weather up there is quite stormy today. skidded off the runway a bit onto the grass lol but it's good enough.

LQA7jht.jpg

after that i flew from Kirkwall to Scatsta. i couldn't see ANYTHING due to lots of thick grey clouds and heavy rain. lots of turbelence. messed up the approach but still landed. wasn't happy with it though so teleported to approach and done it again. was a tough landing but again it's acceptable.

8BOaHYQ.jpg

my next flight is from Scatsta to Bergen but i'll wait for the weather to improve before doing that. i know i can just turn off live weather but don't wanna do that. also not really up to flying over there at the moment. maybe tomorrow.

7HoP0Ki.jpg

Last edited:
So close now. Got a list of flights in mind and destinations I want to fly over. Mostly places that I’m familiar with at ground level, places that I have history with. Thankfully, these places are known for their beauty.

Look forward to sending screenshots to friends saying that I just flew over their houses and workplaces.

And not surprisingly, tracking for a 90+ meta critic score.

Dural

I believe you can use the dpad to move between items like you traditionally would on a console.

twilo99

True, but I think with this particular game its more than just the local hardware that plays a role.. which really doesn't change anything for the gamer and if they can do it for this flight sim, they should be able to do it for more games in the future.

Shmunter

That's a rather abstract statement, no? If they keep delivering games like this for the series s, does it matter if its the "bare minimum" ..
We’re not even a year into it. All games need to work on the system.

There will be tension between pushing the envelope vs creating experiences that are still robust on a platform with 1/3 the power. Even if one could say, scale it to 30fps vs 60 on the big boy, certain games will require 60 as a baseline e.g FPS shooters, and so your stuck designing with a lower hardware spec in mind.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member

There will be tension between pushing the envelope vs creating experiences that are still robust on a platform with 1/3 the power. Even if one could say, scale it to 30fps vs 60 on the big boy, certain games will require 60 as a baseline e.g FPS shooters, and so your stuck designing with a lower hardware spec in mind.
And?

Riky

$MSFT

People keep saying this but as has been mentioned hundreds of times by now the Series console development moved to a GDK with PC development, all first party games are released day one on PC. So until the minimum spec rises above the full RDNA2 GPU and Zen 2 CPU the Series S has then it's irrelevant, according to the Steam hardware surveys that's a long long way away.

SirTerry-T

I believe you can use the dpad to move between items like you traditionally would on a console.
Posted earlier in the thread but this fella is doing a great job of introducing all the MSFS features and control options in a way that doesn't seem too daunting.

I imagine a title as sophisticated as this one is the same as any other high level software suite....it's easy to get daunted by the scope of what the software can do.The end user should just worry about the basics instead of trying to learn what every menu and button does straight away. Small steps, etc ...

Last edited:

Shmunter

People keep saying this but as has been mentioned hundreds of times by now the Series console development moved to a GDK with PC development, all first party games are released day one on PC. So until the minimum spec rises above the full RDNA2 GPU and Zen 2 CPU the Series S has then it's irrelevant, according to the Steam hardware surveys that's a long long way away.
Well yeah, low specs rule the roost.

With reconstruction techniques becoming more prominent, deploying GPU resources for benefit other than pixel density is desirable.. imagine deploying 12tf to a 1080p game and spend compute on improved scene complexity, lighting, GPU based deformation, etc. But the proposition becomes unfeasible if it means running at 480p/15 FPS on low spec.

But pc baseline rises over time, XsS is static for the next 7 years or however long the gen goes for.

Last edited:

Nah, those posts were hilarious. Buying an XSS IS cheaping out, you're literally paying less for less performance. XSX or GTFO.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

I suck at time zones, but I'm pretty sure this is a simultaneous global launch. 8am Seattle time is 11am New York time is 4pm London time.
---
Got it reinstalled and ready to try out the performance update coming to PC! And with Series S|X, Game Pass, and Steam multi-platform release we can all play at launch(and re-launch with the update!).

Last edited:
Top Bottom