• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | We Don't Need Roads

VFXVeteran

Banned
This is the new Crysis, isn't it?

The detail in this is pretty unreal. I found my place, it's there and completely recognizable. Zoomed around my old hood as well. I really like this, it's like what you always wished MS Flight Simulator would be when you were a kid.

Officially yea. I'm starting to doubt if the 3090 GPU will be able to play this at 4k/60FPS @ Ultra.

Compsiox

Banned
I had a blast fucking around for hours without trying any tutorials. I simply take off then use the number arrow keys and hope for the best.

I'm going to work towards flying to Tokyo from Seattle.

Last edited:
The new Crysis is here!

But there's still lots of testing to be done. SO many settings and I still don't have a feel for the settings that have the biggest impact on performance yet.

A performance guide would be handy.

It's possible that more optimization will come in time but honestly, it's obvious to see why this game is so demanding, so I'm not expecting miracles.

Are we expecting a DX 12 patch? DX 11 could be contributing to CPU bottlenecks for some people.

Bubba77

Got through the tutorials and just floored at this game. Playing ultrawide 1440p on my 2080ti its just breathtaking. I can see myself playing this a lot as my new chill game while I watch a baseball game on the side. Cant wait for oculus support.

Shmunter

When is this actually coming to Xbox? I’ve been watching a few videos and the whole game seems to be ingrained within the Windows interface. No way to translate this to a console without major overhaul I imagine?

The clouds are bonkers in this game. I grabbed this all flying through a massive storm over Lake Superior.

bxbkq2g.jpg

86fnHbH.jpg

sWBX8Gt.jpg

nfbZCoy.jpg

Sj4qfWW.jpg

Shifty1897

I decided to start downloading this today. Got about 30% of the way through, the game crashes, and will no longer restart.

I updated drivers, uninstalled the game, restarted my computer, and changed the install directory, and it's redownloading now. Hopefully I'll be able to try it out tomorrow morning before work.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
Can someone tell me how voice chat works? Give me the rundown. If I have an open mic is it just everyone close? Are there people in the air towers? Help?

nemiroff

Gold Member
This is the new Crysis, isn't it?

The detail in this is pretty unreal. I found my place, it's there and completely recognizable. Zoomed around my old hood as well. I really like this, it's like what you always wished MS Flight Simulator would be when you were a kid.

You are lucky.. My area looks awful, my hometown looks bizarre because of a complete misjudgement by the Blackshark.ai algorithm. The mesh geometry is also for some reason full of ugly flaws. One of the airports in the area is completely misfigured. I'm crossing my fingers for future improvements (I actually have complete faith that there will be many) because my session yesterday was truly disapponting.

Last edited:
Cracow is not great. Not only ground textures are ultra low quality, but whole districts are wrong type of buildings. I hope they will fix that. At least you can navigate with shopping malls.
Ah yes, shopping malls. The sweet taste of capitalism.

I'm pretty sure this is one of those games that will get better with every day. AI and satellite imaging technology are constantly improving, so scenery will get more and more real-life like.

Plus there will be hand-crafted add-ons in game's store.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i think this game has killed my PC lol. well, it's not dead but i'm running into a lot of issues since i started playing this and not just in Flight Sim. the game is unplayable now for me.

guess i'll just need to wait for the Xbox version.

Calverz

Anyone else finding on ultrawide that if you want to reduce to 16:9 ratio, its got to be windowed, as fullscreen presents stretching instead of black bars??

Skyr

Man I can't wait for ampere to be released.

Currently sitting here with my intel on-board GPU, as I already sold my 1080TI, not being able to try this out :messenger_crying:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
the new crysis? this is your first flight simulator? these games were exigent back on the day
I just mean it's the new benchmark for having a real gaming PC. Like can it run Flight Simulator.

I definitely remember playing old versions back in the day, but running at 10fps or less was considered perfectly reasonable back then.

Remember Microsoft Space Simulator? I wouldn't mind an update of that.

A lot of users have issues with installing this. I checked reviews on Steam and it's not looking too hot. Also this:

"It's BS that you have to download the game "in game" so it counts as playtime.
So you can't refund it if you don't like it."

Ridiculous.

n8UYzys.jpg

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
A lot of users have issues with installing this. I checked reviews on Steam and it's not looking too hot. Also this:

"It's BS that you have to download the game "in game" so it counts as playtime.
So you can't refund it if you don't like it."

Ridiculous.
Oh that's an interesting wrinkle I hadn't considered. Of course if you're on the fence, I don't know why you wouldn't just try Game Pass for $1.

You are lucky.. My area looks awful, my hometown looks bizarre because of a complete misjudgement by the Blackshark.ai algorithm. The mesh geometry is also for some reason full of ugly flaws. One of the airports in the area is completely misfigured. I'm crossing my fingers for future improvements (I actually have complete faith that there will be many) because my session yesterday was truly disapponting.
My city has cars driving up buildings. It looks nothing like the real thing.

TheMan

It's beautiful. The tech is impressive. But it's kind of boring. Or i just don't know how to have fun with it.

the fun is what you make of it. Some people really enjoy the technical aspects of the game- cold starts, checklists, communication with the tower. Some people like to chill with a podcast while exploring the sights. There are some objective based modes which makes things more gamey so maybe check those out. I’m sure in the coming months we’ll have more mods like airport business sims and other missions so you can feel like you’re actually accomplishing something.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Holy shit, i have pcie4 ssd and gbit internet, this thing takes too long to load. :messenger_face_screaming:

Anyway to disable the intro screen?

Holy shit, i have pcie4 ssd and gbit internet, this thing takes too long to load. :messenger_face_screaming:

I have a pcie4 Nvme ssd and a 200mb/s internet and I didnt think it was too bad. 1.5 minute on average for flight. Game probably takes a minute or so to load from start screen.

MastAndo

I would like to know as well (or anything that might speed up load times). It takes a while to start and I'm on an SSD, and still sitting on like 4 or 5 minutes to load into places like NYC. I guess I've been spoiled by other games, but it's hurting the experience for me.

Gp1

My city has cars driving up buildings. It looks nothing like the real thing.

I live in a very green city in southeast Brazil, but still is a well developed city centre nonetheless (almost 1mi pop, tall buildings etc.).
In the areas that you don't have a lot of vegetation density the AI works very well. However in the area that you have a vegetation intertwined with buildings, the AI interprets almost as a swamp.

And every single region that flew (not the photogrammetric ones), trees are way taller than normal.

But still I'm still impressed.

I would like to know as well (or anything that might speed up load times). It takes a while to start and I'm on an SSD, and still sitting on like 4 or 5 minutes to load into places like NYC. I guess I've been spoiled by other games, but it's hurting the experience for me.

I'm guessing it's taking time to gather cloud data on things like real-time traffic, weather, and satellite image data for the area you'll be starting from which is not stored on your local device.

SSD speeds don't have as much affect with MSFS2020 as a good connection does. I just have the game on a SATA SSD, but have a really good connection (over 600Mbps) and my load times are considerably lower than what you're describing. While load times on my connection typically are under 30 seconds in an area like my hometown where map data is lower quality and there is no photogrametry data available, New York takes over 2 minutes on the same connection for me to load with all the live features active.

The 150GB you installed covers planes, texture data for trees, the hand-crafted items like airports, world objects the game uses to fill in blanks, etc, but does not include the satellite image data or photogrametry data which would require petabytes of storage to keep locally. Large centers like Tokyo, and especially areas with better satellite data and photogrametry like New York will take longer to load in dependent on your connection speed. New York is a very complex area in terms of geometry and has some of the best map data available.

Dane

Cracow is not great. Not only ground textures are ultra low quality, but whole districts are wrong type of buildings. I hope they will fix that. At least you can navigate with shopping malls.

They took the bigger developed countries first to use a more accurate representation, the rest uses hand made assets that could be closer to the countries archictecture style.

Top Bottom