• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | We Don't Need Roads

GHG

Gold Member
They're reusing asset assets from 1998 and charge you 1/10 of the price of the base game for it. Not the best deal for a few garbage looking buildings.

I'm sure there will be an expansion that will do London justice. This ain't it.

If that's the case then fair enough. All I went off was the video I linked and I thought it looked pretty good :/

kuncol02

Banned
Bing map data is literally one of the main components that make this game possible.

If there's anything that's holding this game back, it's current GPU hardware.
But, other maps data is much better quality. In Poland for example bing maps is garbage.
There you have example of difference of quality between google and bing.

But, other maps data is much better quality. In Poland for example bing maps is garbage.
But is it holding the game back? I don't think so.

Maybe PiS can chip in for higher definition satellite data. I mean Poland's budget deficit is already at EUR 3.7 bln so who cares?

So been working between two airports. A small one outside of Tampa and Tampa International. Mostly working on the smoothing out the flights. Learning more about instruments, checklists etc. I did two of the same flights today, one with good weather, one without. One i went through more of a manual startup, the other i just took off.

I had to put them on onedrive because i was listening to music and YouTube doesn’t like that. But check them out.

DjMystix

Install was a nightmare. It took like 6-7 tries to download and re-download the 127 GB mandatory core packages. Finally was able to try it out yesterday. The experience is breathtaking for the first few flights and just like goofing around with Google Earth, the magic does wear out. Of course I'm not into flight sims and just wanted to fly over some of the places around the world I've been to which was amazing. But that's about it.

I absolutely love game pass that allowed me to try this game out on launch day. Fantastic flight simulator for those who likes this stuff. Fun to goof around for a while for those who don't.

Last edited:
I don't pretend to know how they do it but the lighting in this game is the best I've EVER seen in a game.

If you've got a 4K HDR TV you're in for a treat. The HDR is very well done. They didn't add in HDR to make everything "pop" or anything like that. They went entirely for realism and they absolutely nailed it. But HDR is just the icing on the cake of an already phenomenal lighting engine.

HDR or no HDR the lighting model they are using is still the best I've ever seen.

For example, I grew up in Sherwood Park, Alberta. Small town on the plains. Its got its own kind of lighting. Usually we've got big clouds slowly moving across the sky so on the ground there's alternative shade and sun. When you're in the shade it can be surprisingly dark but then when then sun hits you again... you're almost basking in it. And somehow this game captured this whole lighting situation perfectly.

I was expecting that they would not get this right. You know your own home better than anywhere else. So you figure if you're visiting some place ( in the game ) that you've never been (IRL) and the lighting is off, you won't really know and you'll just experience it as looking great. But then when you go to your hometown in the game, they'll probably get it wrong and it'll stick out like a sore thumb. But like I already said, somehow they absolutely nailed the lighting and feel of small town Alberta.

The excellent lighting model is a large part of what makes this game as gorgeous as it is. I haven't been this impressed by a game in a long, long time.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
I don't pretend to know how they do it but the lighting in this game is the best I've EVER seen in a game.

If you've got a 4K HDR TV you're in for a treat. The HDR is very well done. They didn't add in HDR to make everything "pop" or anything like that. They went entirely for realism and they absolutely nailed it. But HDR is just the icing on the cake of an already phenomenal lighting engine.

HDR or no HDR the lighting model they are using is still the best I've ever seen.

For example, I grew up in Sherwood Park, Alberta. Small town on the plains. Its got its own kind of lighting. Usually we've got big clouds slowly moving across the sky so on the ground there's alternative shade and sun. When you're in the shade it can be surprisingly dark but then when then sun hits you again... you're almost basking in it. And somehow this game captured this whole lighting situation perfectly.

I was expecting that they would not get this right. You know your own home better than anywhere else. So you figure if you're visiting some place ( in the game ) that you've never been (IRL) and the lighting is off, you won't really know and you'll just experience it as looking great. But then when you go to your hometown in the game, they'll probably get it wrong and it'll stick out like a sore thumb. But like I already said, somehow they absolutely nailed the lighting and feel of small town Alberta.

The excellent lighting model is a large part of what makes this game as gorgeous as it is. I haven't been this impressed by a game in a long, long time.

It is truly stunning to behold. And I concur. The lighting and shading is what contributes to an overall game's look more than anything else. It's a difficult problem to solve with so few resources in hardware. Incredible work by Osobo.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

It may be true that Google maps are better than Bing maps. But the truth is probably a bit more granular than that. In your example the Google satellite resolution is clearly better, but I bet there are places where the opposite is true. It's definitely true that not all places on Earth have equal quality mapping data. Some places on Google Earth are surprisingly good, like in San Francisco, while other places are low resolution smears by comparison.

Also, this leaves room for improvement. I have no idea how often either Google or Microsoft improve their satellite imagery. Maybe it's always happening a little bit at a time, somewhere on Earth. So the exciting thing is that as Bing Maps improves, this game should improve right along with it.

I`m enjoying this game more than i thought i would. Today i learned how to use flight plans, use radio to communicate with the tower, how to move windows to my second monitor.
Currently flying from portugal to spain.

Lads, get yourself a flight stick. It's transformative.

img_20200821_023812pok5i.jpg

Just been doing the weekly landing challenge and absolutely nailed it second go. If someone manages to do it with a controller or keyboard then hats off.

This is going to be my go to chill out/hangover game for a very long time.

And if you have the capable hardware then do yourself a favour and just stick it on max settings 4k. IMO this is not a game that benefits greatly from higher framerates.

It is. Ran and grabbed one this morning

Makes the experience surreal..this might be the most relaxing game i've played in a minute. Just chill as hell with some good music on lol

Reactions: GHG

M.W.

That's it! And no, it doesn't work.

When I paste the co ords and search it doesn't find an exact match, it searches and brings up different ones quite near it but not exact.

Anyone else try this?

I just delete the space between the N or W and it works.

I just delete the space between the N or W and it works.
Think I tired that. Do you mean no space before the - symbol of the w?

It searches and finds a suggestion which is similar but not exactly the same. I'm guessing the one in the video happens to match a search result and so it looks like it'll work for any co ords.

pasterpl

i have had the preinstalled via gamepass, when launched first time it downloaded the 90gb day one patch/update, that took around 1-2h on 500mbs broadband over Wi-fi, game started with no issues to the menu (I wait till the weekend to play), game rated my 3 year old laptop and adjusted settings to high, so that’s interesting as well. But I didnt have any issues or errors while downloading and installing

Thaedolus

Gold Member
This motherfucker has been downloading/unpacking for over 12 hours now...will I ever get to fly a 747 into my house or what?

Tevious

So been working between two airports. A small one outside of Tampa and Tampa International. Mostly working on the smoothing out the flights. Learning more about instruments, checklists etc. I did two of the same flights today, one with good weather, one without. One i went through more of a manual startup, the other i just took off.

I had to put them on onedrive because i was listening to music and YouTube doesn’t like that. But check them out.

Hah, I know that place! It's on Ridge Rd. right across from that community college. I used to live around that area years ago.

• Strength
Reactions: 888

MastAndo

Gold Member
I just can't enjoy this game with how it runs on my system, and I'm pretty sure it's the i7-3770K. It'll be running fine for the most part, as I've settled on 1080p with High settings, and it looks great in lots of places. Then I'll load a major city, like my hometown NYC which I would want to fly around often, and my computer just takes a huge dump on itself. It'll turn into a slideshow for like 30 seconds before I can do anything, and eventually when I'm up in the air, if I add clouds or change weather, the game will hang for 10-15 seconds. I might be able to eventually fly around for a bit smoothly, but it will still hitch here and though - very annoying. Rivatuner says my CPU is at 60-70%, though the Developer Mode shows "Limited by Main Thread" warnings constantly.

I've been due for a CPU upgrade since it does bottleneck my 2080 Super in general, but truth be told, it's been just fine for me otherwise being that the TV I play on is 60 Hz.

It's a shame, the game is almost therapeutic otherwise. I could see myself getting a HOTAS of some sort and losing myself in this for a bit if I could just run it consistently well.

Last edited:

Skyr

How well does the game play with a gamepad?

Lets say I would want to play it on my TV from my couch.
Would I always miss some buttons and therefore need a keyboard?
Or is it possible to play with just the gamepad?

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned

Maybe PiS can chip in for higher definition satellite data. I mean Poland's budget deficit is already at EUR 3.7 bln so who cares?
Yes it holds it back. Satelite images are used as ground textures and that makes roads in Cracow some nintendo 64 textures level of shit. Additionally because of low res pictures on bing algoryth puts wrong types of building everywhere.

Rikkori

It has promise but too many people are fooled by pretty clouds thinking this is some sort of 'next-gen' game. It's an unoptimised POS right now, which is in-line with every other flight sim ever made I guess, but hardly a high standard. At least there's hope they will improve it with time, especially the location rendering which as noted before resolves very poorly in many cases. Is it a close approximation? Sure. Is it good? Nah. And no - all the GPU horse-power in the world isn't going to help you when the software itself is the limit. Same tragic story as with Cities Skylines, Crysis (extreme examples) & Kingdom Come: Deliverance (less extreme but still sad).

index.php
flightsim2020bokwh.jpg

Until they do it in DX12 - meh.

Skyr

Yes it holds it back. Satelite images are used as ground textures and that makes roads in Cracow some nintendo 64 textures level of shit. Additionally because of low res pictures on bing algoryth puts wrong types of building everywhere.
Yes it's the same for most of germany.

Bing satelite data from germany is also trash and outdated. What has that to do with the country?
Google maps images are recent and great. It's Microsoft who needs to update them.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Yes it's the same for most of germany.

Bing satelite data from germany is also trash and outdated. What has that to do with the country?
Google maps images are recent and great. It's Microsoft who needs to update them.
Actually in Poland Bing has more recent pictures (by few months), but much lower quality.

Road textures from ground level look like Nintendo 64 level of shit even in their best cities (Seattle for example). I don't see an issue with it in a flying simulator. Same applies to wrong type of commie apartment building in a wrong place - people who take this simulator seriously don't care about it.

AI algorithms will get better. Satellite data will get better. I don't think some people will ever be satisfied.

How well does the game play with a gamepad?

Lets say I would want to play it on my TV from my couch.
Would I always miss some buttons and therefore need a keyboard?
Or is it possible to play with just the gamepad?
You absolutely need a keyboard and mouse. I'm playing with wireless keyboard + mouse and XBOX Elite controller but planning to buy proper peripherals once I do some research on what's the best option.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Not sure how many people care but I found out there's no crash animations at all. The game cuts to a menu screen with stuff along the lines of "you crashed, dickhead" before any kind of explosion occurs.

supernova8

Banned
No, you are the first. What it really should say is: Git gud.

I don't have the game (no interest in playing it myself - just not my thing) I was just doing a YouTube search for Flight Simulator crashes (yeah whatever sue me). Since the graphics are so jawdropping, I was somehow expecting equally amazing explosion physics/particle effects that could be a sign of what's to come for next-gen but yeah was left a little disappointed. You'll notice the like/dislike ratio on the games is often 50/50 because everyone else clicked on it for explosion goodness.

Don't even know why I searched it... probably the same reason people watch those Youtube channels where they shoot watermelons with 50 cal rifles etc. (ie way too much free time)

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Not sure how many people care but I found out there's no crash animations at all. The game cuts to a menu screen with stuff along the lines of "you crashed, dickhead" before any kind of explosion occurs.
That's because of one thing that happened in september 2001. You should hear about that.

Last edited:

Skyr

I don't have the game (no interest in playing it myself - just not my thing) I was just doing a YouTube search for Flight Simulator crashes (yeah whatever sue me). Since the graphics are so jawdropping, I was somehow expecting equally amazing explosion physics/particle effects that could be a sign of what's to come for next-gen but yeah was left a little disappointed. You'll notice the like/dislike ratio on the games is often 50/50 because everyone else clicked on it for explosion goodness.

Don't even know why I searched it... probably the same reason people watch those Youtube channels where they shoot watermelons with 50 cal rifles etc. (ie way too much free time)
Because people who play this don't care about it. It also would lead to bad PR for them.

supernova8

Banned
They really cut back on crashes and similar things after that. From what I remember they even modified MSFS 2000 intro after.

Interesting, I've never personally played any of them so I wouldn't know. I suppose if it's been removed in previous versions for a while then it doesn't surprise you guys (ie people who do play it).

Compsiox

Banned
I really thought this would use DirectX 12 but I guess even Microsoft doesn't want to use it.

I know it uses FSX as the base, but still DX12 really is not getting any love from anyone.

Hah, I know that place! It's on Ridge Rd. right across from that community college. I used to live around that area years ago.

Yup. I always used to see the planes while driving on Ridge. Figured it would be a cool place to see the area from. The Tampa Exec airport that the game has still is the old one off 54 that’s gone now. I was really confused to see it in the game being it closed in 04.

Wonko_C

I know it uses FSX as the base, but still DX12 really is not getting any love from anyone.

FSX was made when most people still were using single core CPUs. Does that mean it will never take advantage of multithreading no matter how heavily they modify the engine? I've seen people claiming it uses one core fully then the rest are barely used.

nemiroff

Gold Member

As mentioned earlier in the thread; The "makeover" for London is two-steps back in some regards. It's a pathetic cash-grab from Orbx, very disappointing. DO NOT BUY.

FSX was made when most people still were using single core CPUs. Does that mean it will never take advantage of multithreading no matter how heavily they modify the engine? I've seen people claiming it uses one core fully then the rest are barely used.

I believe the "reused code"-part is partly a misquote from the devs that explained that they reused parts of the code from FSX. But AFAIK the rendering engine was completely rebuilt, and from what I remember reading it definitively have contemporary multithreading support.

Edit: I was just looking at some benchmark results and this title is definitively very CPU limited.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Road textures from ground level look like Nintendo 64 level of shit even in their best cities (Seattle for example). I don't see an issue with it in a flying simulator. Same applies to wrong type of commie apartment building in a wrong place - people who take this simulator seriously don't care about it.

AI algorithms will get better. Satellite data will get better. I don't think some people will ever be satisfied.
I just found out, that buildings are generated with openstreetmap data. So everyone who want better cities better go to work.

Filth

you can turn that off and crash all you want.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
you can turn that off and crash all you want.

Does it allow for aircraft to suffer non-catastrophic damage and still land? I saw one video where it seemed like the player just inverted a plane and it cut to black saying he overstressed the air frame or something?

I know it’s not a combat sim but I loved when a game like IL-2 allowed for still landing with half a wing blown off and stuff

Top Bottom