• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Closes Redfall Developer Arkane Austin, HiFi Rush Developer Tango Gameworks, and More in Devastating Cuts at Bethesda

FewRope

Yep, if they don't things to be the way they are then they've had the power to change things for a long time now.

But they are insistent on pedalling lies (gamepass increases game sales) and and living in this never ending illusion that they can have their cake and eat it.
The most hilarious shit is people begging for the public to buy Hellblade 2 or any Xbox exclusive... why? The game is on Game Pass that should be enough

Why the fuck did they acquire Activision?

"Gamepass model is the biggest disaster in the gaming world in decades"

Phil Spencer acquiring Activision: Hold my beer

OIP.JV-d-aXPUZYEKCPLkeRLewAAAA

bender

What time is it?
I do blame MS for Tango. Worst decision they've ever made, and seems really short sighted. I'm just waiting for leaks to start to make some sense of it and explain what happened between this studio and Zenimax, Ikumi Nakamura, Shinja Mikami, and MS. Doesn't make much sense.

Microsoft might have fibbed about how well Hi-Fi Rush sold or they have little interest in games that are small-to-modest success. Let's not kid ourselves, the ZeniMax purchase was made for a few reasons:

-IP: TES, Fallout, and Doom primarily.
-Development talent behind the bigger IPs.
-Trying to keep their hardware competitive with exclusives. We've all heard the stories about Jim Ryan approaching Bethesda for Star Field exclusivity
-A back catalogue of games to strengthen their Game Pass offering.

Tango just becomes an unwanted step-child as they only contribute to the last bullet point and in a very minor fashion. The problem only gets compounded when Microsoft spends 10x as much acquiring Activision. That type of investment graduates the gaming division to a whole other level of scrutiny. I fully expect to see more cuts and closures in the future. They'll probably run out as many groundballs as possible for projects nearing completion and then I'd fully expect them to focus on proven product (COD, TES, Fallout, Warcraft, etc.) and if someone can't contribute to those known quantities, those studios or employees will be gone.

As Batman said, "You either die a Tango Gameworks or live long enough to see yourself become Bobby Kottick".

Last edited:

GHG

The most hilarious shit is people begging for the public to buy Hellblade 2 or any Xbox exclusive... why? The game is on Game Pass that should be enough

It's the most hilarious thing about all of this.

It's gone from an inordinate amount of obnoxious hyping and promotion of gamepass to now begging people to buy games instead of playing them via some subscription that can be had on the back of a doritos packet.

Animated GIF

So it is now that I'll take the opportunity to find a cheap promo code for gamepass and play the game for "free!".

Best deal in gaming 🙅🏾‍♂️💚🙅🏾‍♂️

Last edited:
All those years ago they could of went with a simple plan , one that consists of

“See the positives of Xbox 360? Games? Features? Controller ? Do that but better and make sure the hardware is far more reliable “

Done.

Unfortunately we had too many people pissing in the bucket and it spilt over. The smell still lingers to this day.

Last edited:

Stafford

Fucking bullshit ass ABK deal. Unbelievable.

And this makes me super sad, even though 70% of the workforce had left.

"Before its closure, Arkane had been looking to return to its roots by pitching a new single-player “immersive sim” game, such as a new entry in the Dishonored series, according to the people familiar."

FewRope

This report from Jason is killing me, what the fuck Phil Spencer, what an absolute fucking inept idiot this guy is

"Activision purchase has ramped up scrutiny on Xbox"

Ding ding ding.

I knew that ABK deal was the death of xbox and the start of 3rd party publishing.
It's just too much to take on with too little of a base.

Nydius

Activision purchase has ramped up scrutiny on Xbox

Translation: Shareholders and other C-Suite executives want to know when they're going to start seeing a tangible, consistent return on investment from the Xbox division after spending nearly $80 billion spent on acquisitions over the last few years. After two decades of Xbox being on a long leash, they want to see results. Not empty promises.

March of 2023, Nadella talked about gaming subscription revenue bringing in roughly $1B per quarter. That sounds great until you realize that they dropped $77B on acquisitions. If they spent no other money and revenue remained static from that statement, it would take 77 quarter -- 19 years -- for them to recover the costs of the acquisitions. But they continue to lose money on every console sold and they have to spend tens or hundreds of millions in development costs across all of these developers. It's clear Xbox is a money sink and some people in the big chairs are fed up with it.

FewRope

Translation: Shareholders and other C-Suite executives want to know when they're going to start seeing a tangible, consistent return on investment from the Xbox division after spending nearly $80 billion spent on acquisitions over the last few years. After two decades of Xbox being on a long leash, they want to see results. Not empty promises.

March of 2023, Nadella talked about gaming subscription revenue bringing in roughly $1B per quarter. That sounds great until you realize that they dropped $77B on acquisitions. If they spent no other money and revenue remained static from that statement, it would take 77 quarter -- 19 years -- for them to recover the costs of the acquisitions. But they continue to lose money on every console sold and they have to spend tens or hundreds of millions in development costs across all of these developers. It's clear Xbox is a money sink and some people in the big chairs are fed up with it.
The fight for CoD ended up killing Xbox, Phil Spencer finally did the thing

Woopah

Money doesn't quite work that way. An acquisition is not just money leaving a bank account, since you end up with assets on your books.

Very interesting article.

Seems like Arkane was pitching a single player immersive sim, and Tango was pitching HFR2. But they needed to hire mote people to make the games.

MS' choice was to invest more in the studios or close them. They chose the latter.
"Guys...that game you praised us highly for, the one with extremely good reviews and accolades...can we make a sequel to that to solidify this as a franchise and build it up?"

Kick Ass GIF by Warner Archive

The ABK deal is going to be seen as the single worst investment in business history.
Its wild to me that they seemingly want to focus heavily on software and yet decide to close studios with big potential of creating high quality software.. They are putting way too much faith in COD in my opinion and trimming way too much. They should be growing studios. Xbox has so much potential it’s madness.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yeah, maybe. But whatever happened with Nakamura and Mikami seems to be heavily a Zenimax issue. Then you have that new director seemingly pretty happy with promoting Hi-Fi Rush and being excited. Then you have MS killing the whole thing. None of it makes a lot of sense to me, still. I mean, I get being unprofitable. But I can think of a few studios I'd axe first before them.
For sure. Zenimax/Bethesda definitely caused Shinji to leave, that stuff was in place years before MS scooped up Bethesda.

Me personally, I think MS is just going to slowly axe whole studios until they can get everyone working in the Fallout/Elder Scrolls mines, like Activision did with CoD.

That email from Booty states that they are going to be focused on core IPs. Tango was focused on creating new IPs, MS has difficulty with studio oversight and Tango probably didn't seem worth the effort with putting them to work on new IPs that won't sell gangbusters or putting them to work on Fallout/ES stuff when you factor in the language barrier.

I truly think that Tango being shut down will be viewed as a Franz Ferdinand type moment if Microsoft continues to falter. There was so much good will and excitement with what Tango held for the future. People are rightly furious.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I wonder how far are we from the shills to start saying that gamepass (as it is) did what it had to do but now is a good time to end it and is a good thing.

How COD not being on gamepass is a good thing.. news at 11 by the shill network

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Every last one of you who cheered that acquisition and mocked anyone who said it was a bad idea. Do this right now. Stand in front of a mirror. Repeat this line, ten times: I am not a clown. I am the entire circus.

I'll say it again. Microsoft didn't buy them to win a console war for you. Maybe Xbox thought that's what it was. But not their masters. Activision was bought so Microsoft could keep a strong position in gaming after it kills Xbox.

You actually cheered for them to buy the gun they were going to use to off your favorite brand. Now thousands have lost their jobs, five studios were closed, consolidated, or left as shells before becoming independent, and more are on the way.

In no small part because of the biggest consolidation move in gaming history. Despite those of you who refused to see it that way, even with history telling us, in more ways than one, this was coming. The same group who mocked anyone telling you that Gamepass was a bad idea. That it couldn't be sustained without something being broken.

No. You couldn't have changed this, even if you wanted to. But, consider it a lesson you probably still won't learn. You weren't smarter than the ones you disregarded. As they say, time makes a fool of us all. That being said, everyone else needs to remember you as a lesson, too.

Everyone needs to remember this going forward. Consolidation is not for you. It's for the owners. If something is too good to be true, it probably is. When someone shows you who they are, stop letting them tell you otherwise.

Okay. Gonna hop down off my cringe as fuck soap box moment. Just gonna say I love ya'll. Enjoy your games. Don't be dicks. 😘🥰

Topher

Gold Member
Every last one of you who cheered that acquisition and mocked anyone who said it was a bad idea. Do this right now. Stand in front of a mirror. Repeat this line, ten times: I am not a clown. I am the entire circus.

I'll say it again. Microsoft didn't buy them to win a console war for you. Maybe Xbox thought that's what it was. But not their masters. Activision was bought so Microsoft could keep a strong position in gaming after it kills Xbox.

You actually cheered for them to buy the gun they were going to use to off your favorite brand. Now thousands have lost their jobs, five studios were closed, consolidated, or left as shells before becoming independent, and more are on the way.

In no small part because of the biggest consolidation move in gaming history. Despite those of you who refused to see it that way, even with history telling us, in more ways than one, this was coming. The same group who mocked anyone telling you that Gamepass was a bad idea. That it couldn't be sustained without something being broken.

No. You couldn't have changed this, even if you wanted to. But, consider it a lesson you probably still won't learn. You weren't smarter than the ones you disregarded. As they say, time makes a fool of us all. That being said, everyone else needs to remember you as a lesson, too.

Everyone needs to remember this going forward. Consolidation is not for you. It's for the owners. If something is too good to be true, it probably is. When someone shows you who they are, stop letting them tell you otherwise.

Okay. Gonna hop down off my cringe as fuck soap box moment. Just gonna say I love ya'll. Enjoy your games. Don't be dicks. 😘🥰
smug top gear GIF

Klayzer

It's the most hilarious thing about all of this.

It's gone from an inordinate amount of obnoxious hyping and promotion of gamepass to now begging people to buy games instead of playing them via some subscription that can be had on the back of a doritos packet.

Animated GIF

So it is now that I'll take the opportunity to find a cheap promo code for gamepass and play the game for "free!".

Best deal in gaming 🙅🏾‍♂️💚🙅🏾‍♂️
We were told Gamespass was sustainable, and we were just concerned trolling.

Wildebeest

For sure. Zenimax/Bethesda definitely caused Shinji to leave, that stuff was in place years before MS scooped up Bethesda.

Me personally, I think MS is just going to slowly axe whole studios until they can get everyone working in the Fallout/Elder Scrolls mines, like Activision did with CoD.

That email from Booty states that they are going to be focused on core IPs. Tango was focused on creating new IPs, MS has difficulty with studio oversight and Tango probably didn't seem worth the effort with putting them to work on new IPs that won't sell gangbusters or putting them to work on Fallout/ES stuff when you factor in the language barrier.

I truly think that Tango being shut down will be viewed as a Franz Ferdinand type moment if Microsoft continues to falter. There was so much good will and excitement with what Tango held for the future. People are rightly furious.
Why bother? Those games take ten years to make, so you get ten huge studios working on a game each, like CoD, so you can release annually. You still don't see any new Fallout game for ten years, and you have bet a trillion dollars on a franchise due to an Amazon series being somewhat popular ten years ago.

Klayzer

GId03nN.gif

fart town usa

Gold Member
Why bother? Those games take ten years to make, so you get ten huge studios working on a game each, like CoD, so you can release annually. You still don't see any new Fallout game for ten years, and you have bet a trillion dollars on a franchise due to an Amazon series being somewhat popular ten years ago.
Trust me. I think the whole thing is going to end up as a legendary failure that will be taught in business classes, wrote about in novels, etc. I really don't see how any of this works for MS in the long run. They have alienated gamers, developers, Japan (🤣). It's an absolute shit show and hilarious but also sad because it's like a person being saved from drowning, they are dragging others down with them.

Top Bottom