• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Aiming for a First-Party Xbox Game About Every Three Months

Quantity over quality. Does microsoft ever learn?

Play the percentage game. If they release 100 games a year, what are the chances 100% of them will suck?

I haven't bought a new game since i got an X about 6 months ago. So far I've played fallout 4 + dlc, Vampyr, Surge, Recore, For the king, Pray, Aven colony, Halos, black desert, metro, borderlands 2 and handsome collection (dling now) etc etc.

There's a shit-load more games that could possible be crappy. Gamepass is the tits.

MilkyJoe

A game every three months is a drought. Repeating "you moved the conversation" to dismiss my point doesn't actually do anything to add to the conversation.

Do you agree that four games a year is impressive? I don't, and I've stated as such.

No, but you replied to my stating that 15 studios releasing a game every 3 months, is not quantity over quality, as all the simpletons above me were saying, by stating the maths. Then you waded in moping about them not being all triple A, that's when you changed the subject.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Don't tell me "what I need". It's absurd. Microsoft is doing the same. "Four games is a lot, right?" No, it isn't.

I ignored most first-party stuff anyway, and this goes for Sony and Nintendo. The reason why I stick with them is because -- in spite of them publishing a ton of first-party games that I'm not interested in -- they still publish a handful of what I do like. And when you are only pumping out four games a year, the likelihood of me (or anyone) finding something they like is lower.

This isn't hard to figure out, but for some reasons Xbox fans are bringing back list-wars and "true exclusives" and "only non-remasters allowed" rules to artificially frame the conversation.

A game every three months is a drought. Repeating "you moved the conversation" to dismiss my point doesn't actually do anything to add to the conversation.

Do you agree that four games a year is impressive? I don't, and I've stated as such.

Not what YOU need. It's the number Sony/Microsoft or Nintendo need to keep people happy. And YOU where the one complaining about the number of AAA titles Microsoft would be releasing.

I never said 4 games a year is a lot, I said 4 triple A titles a year would be a lot. The fact they will not all be triple A titles means we get a lot more than 4 titles a year!

Bringing back lists? You literally posted the lists before anyone else in this thread! I just picked them apart. You're flip flopping all over the place.

No, but you replied to my stating that 15 studios releasing a game every 3 months, is not quantity over quality, as all the simpletons above me were saying, by stating the maths. Then you waded in moping about them not being all triple A, that's when you changed the subject.
Yes, you said the average AAA game takes 3 years to make so that's why 4 per year made sense.

I am contesting the notion that these will all be AAA games, which removes the excuse you gave that it's okay if there are only 4 per year. If these are not all AAA games, then four per year is pathetic.

The comments about "not really thought about it, as per usual" and "simpletons" seems unnecessary, but if that is how you perceive debates working, all the power to you.

Not what YOU need. It's the number Sony/Microsoft or Nintendo need to keep people happy. And YOU where the one complaining about the number of AAA titles Microsoft would be releasing.
I was not complaining. I was pointing out that four games a year isn't impressive and would be considered a "drought" if Microsoft's competition boasted about the numbers.

I included a list of games to support my assertion instead of just putting it out there and dipping.

I never said 4 games a year is a lot, I said 4 triple A titles a year would be a lot. The fact they will not all be triple A titles means we get a lot more than 4 titles a year!

Bringing back lists? You literally posted the lists before anyone else in this thread! I just picked them apart. You're flip flopping all over the place.
I don't get this logic. They said our first-party output will be about four games a year, but you think we're getting more than four games a year?

MilkyJoe

Yes, you said the average AAA game takes 3 years to make so that's why 4 per year made sense.

I am contesting the notion that these will all be AAA games, which removes the excuse you gave that it's okay if there are only 4 per year. If these are not all AAA games, then four per year is pathetic.

The comments about "not really thought about it, as per usual" and "simpletons" seems unnecessary, but if that is how you perceive debates working, all the power to you.

Once more, the simpletons were bleating about quantity over quality, I showed them the error of their ways, the rest is all you

Mattyp

Gold Member
I don't get this logic. They said our first-party output will be about four games a year, but you think we're getting more than four games a year?

Considering the fact they already do that number before doubling their studios I have no idea how they wouldn't. I believe booty is just down playing or just refering to AAA and AA titles only, I think the Microsoft list and Sony list you just posted will have matching numbers next gen.

Last edited:
Once more, the simpletons were bleating about quantity over quality, I showed them the error of their ways, the rest is all you
Thanks, your highness. Now put the pipe down and join the rest of us landwalkers in Reality.

Considering the fact they already do that number before doubling their studios I have no idea how they wouldn't. I believe booty is just down playing or just refering to AAA and AA titles only, I think the Microsoft list and Sony list you just posted will have matching numbers next gen.
Let's hope so. Microsoft is showing a lot more energy when it comes to first-party stuff compared to late 360/early X1 era. Building up studios is the only way they can deliver on that.

Sorry for the humble-brag here, but I haven't been console exclusive since I've been able to buy my own videogames with the N64-PS1 gen. Gamepass has been such a fuck-stupid good deal that it's the primary reason I'm starting next gen with Microsoft this time.

I'll likely get a PS5 a few years down the line when a handfull of 3rd person action adventure games come out that I have a desperate need to play.

Top Bottom