• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
No it is not. Sony does not define what "competition" is. Market does not operate on basis "we can't afford this merger so it should be illegal"

If you look at this acquisition through "console gaming only" lens it will not put Microsoft in dominant position. That argument is clearly debunked by Nintendo who does not have Call of Duty and is still smothering Xbox a PlayStation in terms of console sales.
If you look at this acquisition through "whole gaming including mobile" it makes even less sense arguing against it. Especially when you have companies like Tencent, Apple, Google, Sony, Nintendo etc. on the market.

Only way how you can argue against this acquisition is through lens of "will it hurt Sony?" Which is ultimately not really reasonable argument. Because you can't argue against merger just because one company will loose money.
Basically the only reason why there is even a doubt that this acquisition will go through is because current FTC hates big tech companies. But even then, senators tried to challenge this acquisition through "workers rights" which have bitten them in the ass because merger got approval of CWA (labour org. in USA).
I think there is an argument (I have to guess someone would have already made it)

And is not an argument against the acquisition, is just the implications of it:

It would open the flood gates not only for Sony but other companies to not just acquire companies but justify an even more agressive moves.

Is like: "But you approved the biggest deal in gaming history".

Markio128

Star Trek GIF

Bergoglio

“Let us have competition” he says. LOL

It’s like the rich kid that brings his expensive toys to school just to brag.

One thing is to make competition, another thing entirely is to buy the entire industry because you don’t know how to make good games. If only all that money was used to create their own studios and their own IPs, Xbox would be huge. if they wanted competition they would do that, and maybe buy a couple of studios to complement it.

What they are doing is just trying to own the industry. Nintendo is successful doing their own thing, Sony too, but Microsoft just can’t.

I still can believe Ganepass is profitable. It’s just a pipe dream for them that they make work only because they can afford to hemorrhage money into it. Any other business would be bankrupt with a GamePass model.

It would be a shame if this deal pass. I know it will because there is a lot of money involve and they will be able to “convince” everyone involved in the decision.

As I said, they should use the money to create their own studios. Look how much Sony paid for Insomniac and they do amazing games.
In order to create new studios you need people with a lot of creative skills and/or visionary gamers perspectives like Kojima, Gallagher, Fargo, Druckmann, Straley, Hennig, Barlog, Houser, Howard ecc, otherwise, what will you achieve with random people and some ideas at the top management? Who gives you the money to prove what you want to create? If it is so simple to create a new studio from zero with a new IP, why there are so few around? Look at Striking Distance Studios, who’s at the top? Glen Schofield, not a random creative director. You have to become a creative director. It’s extremely difficult to create a new studio today with this competition between directors, They’re all working for someone.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
I think there is an argument (I have to guess someone would have already made it)

And is not an argument against the acquisition, is just the implications of it:

It would open the flood gates not only for Sony but other companies to not just acquire companies but justify an even more agressive moves.

Is like: "But you approved the biggest deal in gaming history".
You mean those CMA complaints? Calm down, it was just meaningless phase 1. Even Microsoft thought it was meaningless because they offered no concession to CMA. Because they probably know that upon deep inspection in phase 2 those CMA argument won't hold much water.

There are no implications. If Amazon bought EA today you can't argue against it, because Amazon has almost no presence in gaming outside of Twitch. If Apple bought Take-Two you can't argue against that. And those two companies are probably only one who can pull that amount of cash and pay for big publisher.

John Wick

“Let us have competition” he says. LOL

It’s like the rich kid that brings his expensive toys to school just to brag.

One thing is to make competition, another thing entirely is to buy the entire industry because you don’t know how to make good games. If only all that money was used to create their own studios and their own IPs, Xbox would be huge. if they wanted competition they would do that, and maybe buy a couple of studios to complement it.

What they are doing is just trying to own the industry. Nintendo is successful doing their own thing, Sony too, but Microsoft just can’t.

I still can believe Ganepass is profitable. It’s just a pipe dream for them that they make work only because they can afford to hemorrhage money into it. Any other business would be bankrupt with a GamePass model.

It would be a shame if this deal pass. I know it will because there is a lot of money involve and they will be able to “convince” everyone involved in the decision.

As I said, they should use the money to create their own studios. Look how much Sony paid for Insomniac and they do amazing games.
Spot on! Xbox division would of went the way of Sega long ago without the parent companies huge finances. It's the very reason they shouldn't be allowed to use that money to buy 3rd party publishers. Use your money to buy some dev studios and create your own games and IP. This is usual MS form. Acting like they are the small dog. If you want to use the parent companies finances don't say your 5th.

You mean those CMA complaints? Calm down, it was just meaningless phase 1. Even Microsoft thought it was meaningless because they offered no concession to CMA. Because they probably know that upon deep inspection in phase 2 those CMA argument won't hold much water
No.
There are no implications. If Amazon bought EA today you can't argue against it, because Amazon has almost no presence in gaming outside of Twitch. If Apple bought Take-Two you can't argue against that. And those two companies are probably only one who can pull that amount of cash and pay for big publisher
Those are the implications.

John Wick

You mean those CMA complaints? Calm down, it was just meaningless phase 1. Even Microsoft thought it was meaningless because they offered no concession to CMA. Because they probably know that upon deep inspection in phase 2 those CMA argument won't hold much water.

There are no implications. If Amazon bought EA today you can't argue against it, because Amazon has almost no presence in gaming outside of Twitch. If Apple bought Take-Two you can't argue against that. And those two companies are probably only one who can pull that amount of cash and pay for big publisher.
So totally the opposite of MS who have plenty of studios and IP.

PaintTinJr

he says "so if this is about competition, let us have competition."
Probably too subtle for regulators to notice, but his use of "if this is.." really exposes the true intentions here, and that the deal makes zero sense on paper - unless the plan, as is, is to damage PlayStation, rather than make a return and cover the cost of the deal".

It is definitely bad for competition, but using his own words, he isn't even claiming it is for competition from his perspective, but being framed as competition by others.

Clearly it can't be competition to "let us have competition" because even taking the $80billion spend - on two publishers that they'll never make back through xbox in a 10year project time frame - that the others don't have to spend - unless Satya is offering them $80 billion handouts -, even if they did, there isn't another $70 billion Activision option or really a $7 billion Bethesda option (or a $3 billion Minecraft option) available, and that's what makes the Activision deal so dangerous IMO. They are buying a company that would be better placed to buy xbox from Microsoft - in terms of delivering success through gaming - and being the third platform holder. It isn't even a straight land grab, to succeed but a means of making PlayStation faulter(fail), with Windows PC always there to reclaim any demise in the AAA console market space - which they obviously control.

I still doubt the deal will pass in the UK, and if it doesn't - which I believe blocks the deal - it will be interesting to see if Satya and/or Phil still have their jobs when the share price reacts. Can't help but feel both have bet their jobs on this one.

Godot25

Banned
Probably too subtle for regulators to notice, but his use of "if this is.." really exposes the true intentions here, and that the deal makes zero sense on paper - unless the plan, as is, is to damage PlayStation, rather than make a return and cover the cost of the deal".

It is definitely bad for competition, but using his own words, he isn't even claiming it is for competition from his perspective, but being framed as competition by others.

Clearly it can't be competition to "let us have competition" because even taking the $80billion spend - on two publishers that they'll never make back through xbox in a 10year project time frame - that the others don't have to spend - unless Satya is offering them $80 billion handouts -, even if they did, there isn't another $70 billion Activision option or really a $7 billion Bethesda option (or a $3 billion Minecraft option) available, and that's what makes the Activision deal so dangerous IMO. They are buying a company that would be better placed to buy xbox from Microsoft - in terms of delivering success through gaming - and being the third platform holder. It isn't even a straight land grab, to succeed but a means of making PlayStation faulter(fail), with Windows PC always there to reclaim any demise in the AAA console market space - which they obviously control.

I still doubt the deal will pass in the UK, and if it doesn't - which I believe blocks the deal - it will be interesting to see if Satya and/or Phil still have their jobs when the share price reacts. Can't help but feel both have bet their jobs on this one.
It is basically genius investment because if Microsoft would have not spend it, those 80 billions would be eaten alive because of record inflation in the bank. Now those money will make sure, that Microsoft will make money in the future. They are buying a publisher with yearly revenue of 8 billion dollars and which has probably highest margins among big publishers. That's why M&A is such a common occurrence in last two years. If you have spare money (which Microsoft has), it is better to spend it then left it to rot in the bank.

I don't know why people think, that shareholders of Microsoft will want that 80 billions back by 10 years. Because that's not how it works. Especially when Microsoft will make 80 billion in profits by the time this deal closes :).

If I understood correctly (correct me if I'm wrong), nobody can "block" the deal. They can sue Microsoft because of this deal. And then Microsoft will either back off (like Nvidia with ARM) or they will go to court. And since Microsoft would need to pay 3 billion fine if this deal will fall off, I bet they would go to court.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Probably too subtle for regulators to notice, but his use of "if this is.." really exposes the true intentions here, […].

Yeah, but then everyone knows this, few are willing to say it.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
This is whataboutism; Nintendo barely gets ABK games outside of the Crash, Spyro type of games. COD hasn't been on a Nintendo platform since the Wii days and I'm not even sure about that. They don't have a close business relationship with ABK the way Sony does, so why would Nintendo file any complaints?

Now if MS were going after, say, The Pokemon Company, or Sega, or maybe even Ubisoft...well I bet you Nintendo would be filing a lot of complaints in those cases given how close they are with The Pokemon Company and Sega, and they've gotten a couple of exclusives out of partnerships with Ubisoft as well.

Diablo, Overwatch and most other Activision franchises are on Switch, and with a new, more powerful Switch successor on the way, it’s very likely that support will increase.
But putting Nintendo aside, Google, Amazon and NVIDiA have cloud streaming services. And yet none of them have filed any complaints about an ABK purchase blocking competition in the cloud streaming space.

John Wick

So now we want to put hard cap on amount of studios and IP's? Because somebody should tell regulators that Embracer has 127 internal studios and was buying clusterfuck of IP's for several years :messenger_winking:
Let me know when Embracer releases 127 games in a year or three?
Also you forget Embracer is 3rd party duh.
It has no platform of it's own.
This is the exact reason you can't have an honest debate with MS corporate. They bring irrelevant arguments to the table.😉😉

Last edited:

John Wick

Diablo, Overwatch and most other Activision franchises are on Switch, and with a new, more powerful Switch successor on the way, it’s very likely that support will increase.
But putting Nintendo aside, Google, Amazon and NVIDiA have cloud streaming services. And yet none of them have filed any complaints about an ABK purchase blocking competition in the cloud streaming space.
Yes because cloud streaming of games/gaming is Google, Amazon and Nvidia's primary business? These companies would be fucked without the billions in profit every year.
I bet if it was though they'd be complaining to the heavens!

Chukhopops

You don’t need to « make the money back » when you convert cash (an asset) into a company purchase. It’s like saying an individual needs to make his money back after spending his savings to buy a house (the only loss would be if the house lost value or was purchased for more than market price).

The UK CMA has no authority outside of the UK, at best they can go to court over it and that would be only for the UK market. It would be a very awkward claim if at the same time the deal passed with EU and US regulators, which it seems it will.

If it goes to court and if the CMA wins, MS would have to make specific concessions for the UK market, which could be hilarious as it would for example prevent ABK games from being bundled in the GP service there (like Internet Explorer being pre-installed with Windows back in the EU antitrust case) or forcing MS to maintain those games as a Cloud service.

More realistically nothing of the sort will happen because there is no possible abuse of dominant position if you’re not in a dominant position to begin with…

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Nadella: of course this deal will go through"

Nadella behind the monitor while saying that:

2eee1-e1484114115388.jpg

CeeJay

Yeah, I really dont see how this brings value to the average xbox owner. Starfield was always coming out on Xbox. There is no way CoD was ever going exclusive. I know I said I was glad to see MS finally go all in and stop treating their gaming division like the bastard child, but i wouldve rather they create new studios and build AA studios and turn them into AAA like Sony did in the late 2000s with GG, Sucker Punch, MM and Evolution Studios. Not all of them panned out but not every business venture is supposed to be successful as makers of zune would know.

I think they were trying to do that with Ninja Theory, Obsidian, Playground Games acquisitions and the creation of the Initiative, but they must have seen the slow progress and decided to go get third party publishers instead. I wish they had stuck with that appraoch and maybe bought out a 4A Games, Quantic Dream, or even CD Project instead. Those studios need the big backing of a publisher who isnt afraid of taking risks and has big pockets to go and compete with hollywood studios for artists, and other studios for developers. I am struggling to understand why a company that can afford $75 billion for one publisher cannot outbid ND, IW, Treyarch, Insomniac etc for video game talent in the great Los Angeles area.

If MS wants to compete with Tencent and Apple then they better do more than just gobble up entire publishers. They need to bring NEW talent in the industry and stop the talent drain thats currently resulting in delays and fewer games overall. We are losing artists to movies and streaming services that are making more and more higher budget tv shows with CG. We need that talent in gaming and MS has the money to prevent that talent from going to hollywood.
It's really simple, it means that the games will be on Gamepass day one.

How would you bring in new talent to the games industry? In the current environment games are skyrocketing in their production costs and without expanding the amount of people who are actually playing these games it means that those costs have to be directly passed on to the customer. This model is not sustainable and the higher the prices for games, hardware and services go the more the market will shrink and the brain drain will accelerate. Microsoft are trying a different approach by lowering the barriers to entry in the hope to increase the number of customers dramatically. Gamepass is part of a multipronged approach, they are also investing heavily in tools and infrastructure to reduce the cost of developing games. It's a bold and risky strategy but if it pays off they will reduce the cost of games development, reduce the barriers to entry for all customers whilst also increasing revenue for both themselves and also developers. Almost everyone's a winner if it works.

PaintTinJr

If I understood correctly (correct me if I'm wrong), nobody can "block" the deal. They can sue Microsoft because of this deal. And then Microsoft will either back off (like Nvidia with ARM) or they will go to court. And since Microsoft would need to pay 3 billion fine if this deal will fall off, I bet they would go to court.

https://www.pinsentmasons.com/out-law/guides/merger-control-in-the-uk
The UK merger control regime remains voluntary in theory, however for transactions which fall under its jurisdiction, the CMA has strong regulatory powers, including the ability to suspend or even reverse integration between the merging parties in relation to completed transactions, the ability to prevent transactions from completing, and ultimately the power to block a merger or requiring the divestment of certain businesses or imposing behavioural undertakings.
From reading this paragraph I'm pretty sure it would be Microsoft needing to sue, so it would be blocked by default, and in the UK competition issues raised in the media would be quite visible, and if parliament worried the courts might overrule something they needed blocked, then the House of Commons would/could just amend the law on behalf of the public to kill a legal challenge.

The fallout of UK regulators blocking the move and the uncertainty that would ensue from Microsoft fighting on to overcome the decision would probably be worse than Microsoft accepting the regulator's decision IMO, so I think if it gets blocked, it is finished, like the Nvidia ARM situation, especially as the UK is the 2nd or 3rd biggest AAA game nation market by spend IIRC, so without that market the deal isn't worth doing.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
Let me know when Embracer releases 127 games in a year or three?
Also you forget Embracer is 3rd party duh.
It has no platform of it's own.
This is the exact reason you can't have an honest debate with MS corporate. They bring irrelevant arguments to the table.😉😉
So let me get this straight.

Consolidation of the industry is okay, unless you are platform holder. Then it is not okay. Right? Why? Because when Microsoft as a platform holder buys stuff it hurts Sony? That's not an argument that FTC/CMA and other regulatory bodies can use to effectively block the deal.

"Let me know when Embracer releases 127 games in a year or three?" is pretty stupid argument because when Microsoft released AAA first-party game? See? If you claim that Embracer can go on buying spree because they don't have consistent flow of content, I can say exact thing about Microsoft.

Ozriel

M$FT

Man, your takes are always strange. How does the deal ‘make no sense’?

Why would you think Nadella and the entire Microsoft board were convinced to enter the largest tech deal ever, in a climate where regulators are circling, merely to ‘damage PlayStation’?

His words are a direct response to the UK CMA’s comments that the deal might be ‘anti-competitive’.

Again, this is a poorly thought out argument. They don’t have to ‘make back’ the $80 billion, any more than Facebook has to make back the $20billion they spent on WhatsApp.
They’ll own assets worth $80billion on their balance sheet and they’ll be able to declare profits on that asset when revenue > cost of development.

If their plan was to make PlayStation fail, why would they be guaranteeing COD on PlayStation until the end of the generation? And why would they spend that amount of money when Sony themselves are going all-in on GaaS MP games?

Your claim that they control gaming on Windows might well be the worst, most illogical argument I’ve seen all September. Well done.

The penalty they’ll pay if the regulators don’t approve is a few billion USD, and shareholders won’t hold that against them. Why would you imagine their jobs are under threat?

The NVIDIA - ARM deal was relatively bigger in proportion to the size of the acquiring company and yet you saw the NVIDiA CEO happily announcing the new GPUs.

Not sure what I find worse, the sheer amount of bad takes in this fairly short post, or that some people are actually upvoting it.

Lord GIF by 9-1-1: Lone Star

Ozriel

M$FT
Yes because cloud streaming of games/gaming is Google, Amazon and Nvidia's primary business? These companies would be fucked without the billions in profit every year.
I bet if it was thought they'd be complaining to the heavens!

NVIDiA, Amazon and Google have invested billions in cloud game streaming. Trying to handwave it as no big deal to them is weird.

There’s also nothing to show that Sony would be ‘fucked’ if COD went exclusive in 2028. Especially now when they’re projecting skyrocketing revenues from their new PC push.

kyussman

So,when the deal goes through do we think Sony will shutter PlayStation division straight away,or fight it out for a while. (Irony(noun),the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.)

So you hate Gamepass for renting games when you prefer to buy them, but Hate companies buying devs when they prefer not to rent them?

😅

Isn't what they are doing is buying physical vs renting on a much larger scale?

If you are anti subscription, and hate timed exclusives, it makes no sense to object to this as they are doing all things you preach.

There's no license or ownership buying timed exclusives.

It can be revoked at any time. It's better to own the disc, that way nobody can take it away

So out of my post you get:
- that I hate GamePass
- I prefer to buy games full priced

Literally none of that is true. Go check my post history so not entirely sure where in gods green earth you get any of what I mentioned from my initial post.

Let me spell it out if you didn't understand. MS getting some sort of a monopoly in the gaming space is bad news for everyone. Them buying up publishers like Activision is a stepping stone to that. They've already stated that they will not be stopping there and more acquisitions are on the way.
Sony and Nintendo don't have the purchasing power that MS possesses. Even if you combine all that Sony and Nintendo has acquired over the years, its not anywhere near this monumental Activision deal.

I'll take timed exclusives (not a big fan of it) over outright purchases if I was given a choice. Depending on the deal struck, it still gives a chance to release a game on other platforms. Outright buying publishers and that game is going full exclusive and will never see another platform.

At the end of the day its going to come down to a case of who has the deepest pockets and we all know the answer to that. Deeper pockets to buy up everything and in the end there will be no competition. No competition is bordering on a monopoly. And trust me you don't want a monopoly.

Is Microsoft building a gaming monopoly?

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So out of my post you get:
- that I hate GamePass
- I prefer to buy games full priced

Literally none of that is true. Go check my post history so not entirely sure where in gods green earth you get any of what I mentioned from my initial post.

Let me spell it out if you didn't understand. MS getting some sort of a monopoly in the gaming space is bad news for everyone. Them buying up publishers like Activision is a stepping stone to that. They've already stated that they will not be stopping there and more acquisitions are on the way.
Sony and Nintendo don't have the purchasing power that MS possesses. Even if you combine all that Sony and Nintendo has acquired over the years, its not anywhere near this monumental Activision deal.

I'll take timed exclusives (not a big fan of it) over outright purchases if I was given a choice. Depending on the deal struck, it still gives a chance to release a game on other platforms. Outright buying publishers and that game is going full exclusive and will never see another platform.

At the end of the day its going to come down to a case of who has the deepest pockets and we all know the answer to that. Deeper pockets to buy up everything and in the end there will be no competition. No competition is bordering on a monopoly. And trust me you don't want a monopoly.

Is Microsoft building a gaming monopoly?
I fear that very thing, what will this lead to once this deal goes through (though I want to replay most of the past CODs via Gamepass) ;)

I said it on another post but for those of us who has been here awhile do you remember when those several few people kept saying once MS decides to tap into their warchest it would get ugly?

People laughed at them saying MS wouldn't just write massive checks for Xbox

Now people are saying its not fair MS has said warchest

Who Knows Idk GIF

I fear that very thing, what will this lead to once this deal goes through (though I want to replay most of the past CODs via Gamepass) ;)

I said it on another post but for those of us who has been here awhile do you remember when those several few people kept saying once MS decides to tap into their warchest it would get ugly?

People laughed at them saying MS wouldn't just write massive checks for Xbox

Now people are saying its not fair MS has said warchest

Who Knows Idk GIF

To be honest, I've wondered for years when this would happen, even during the PS3 era but Xbox was doing pretty well on its own back then. Since then Sony's gone from strength to strength and has seen massive growth and finally Xbox now has hold of daddy MS's wallet.

Gaming is another avenue for MS software into the living room and I'm surprised it took them this long to take it seriously. When have you seen this large of an investment into gaming from the parent company? Speaks volumes when Satya is now directly involved and his words are ominous.

Its no longer Sony vs Xbox. They're going to be up against Microsoft.

When disney swallowed up all these film companies, Lucas, 20th century fox etc....did people say "This isn't fair, no one has disney money?"

Just interested if that stuff came up?

Haha, no idea. Maybe check the Disney threads bro

People were calling that a monopoly too, again without understanding the word.

yeah you didn't hear me mention Disney in here. No idea why the poster above you decided to lump them into this discussion 😂

A 'monopoly' is defined by a technical market share test – any party that holds a market share exceeding 50% is deemed a monopoly.

Disney is currently sitting on a healthy 52% marketshare in the enterainment industry but lets not derail the thread and turn this into that kind of discussion.

Last edited:

ManaByte

yeah you didn't hear me mention Disney in here. No idea why the poster above you decided to lump them into this discussion 😂

A 'monopoly' is defined by a technical market share test – any party that holds a market share exceeding 50% is deemed a monopoly.

Disney is currently sitting on a healthy 52% marketshare in the enterainment industry but lets not derail the thread and turn this into that kind of discussion.

If Disney bought a bunch of theater chains and controlled where their movies were shown in theaters, they'd be a monopoly. They aren't.

skit_data

I really don’t care about the deal because I don’t play any of the games that got affected by either the Zenimax or ActiBlizz deal but;

It would be kinda funny if say Apple would enter the console market, buy Take 2, EA and Ubisoft and say ”look, we’re technically in 5th place” and make all their games exclusive to their ecosystem.

It’s just competition and not being the market leader makes everything viable, right?

Zathalus

I really don’t care about the deal because I don’t play any of the games that got affected by either the Zenimax or ActiBlizz deal but;

It would be kinda funny if say Apple would enter the console market, buy Take 2, EA and Ubisoft and say ”look, we’re technically in 5th place” and make all their games exclusive to their ecosystem.

It’s just competition and not being the market leader makes everything viable, right?
Sure, I'd have no problem with that. Those three companies combined is not going to make them anything near market leader.

Chukhopops

It would be a smart argument… if Apple wasn’t already making more gaming profit than Sony:

RtizUDE.jpg

This is as of 2019, during the Apple vs Epic trial. And this is actual court documents that no one challenged so you can assume it’s correct.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Sure, I'd have no problem with that. Those three companies combined is not going to make them anything near market leader.
Throw in the rumor a couple of years ago Apple put together internal studies on feasibility of buying Sony and put the whole PS brand in their ecosystem

skit_data

It would be a smart argument… if Apple wasn’t already making more gaming profit than Sony:

RtizUDE.jpg

This is as of 2019, during the Apple vs Epic trial. And this is actual court documents that no one challenged so you can assume it’s correct.
But that’s why it sorta kinda makes sense as a comparison;

Nadellas argument is that Sony is the market leader in the console space. That’s of course true but if we’re taking PC gaming and/or streaming into account they’re not. One could argue that MS as the owner of the Windows OS and DirectX already has a pretty market leading position and influence over gaming as a whole. Bigger than Sony if viewed from that perspective.

Apple doesn’t have a console, so it’s just up for grabs according to the logic of some of the posters here. That’s what I wanted to point out; Sony being the market leader in console business specifically isn’t the only way to view this and looking at it from another perspective one could make an argument MS as a company has a bigger influence, reach and impact already.

PaintTinJr

I don't know why people think, that shareholders of Microsoft will want that 80 billions back by 10 years. Because that's not how it works. Especially when Microsoft will make 80 billion in profits by the time this deal closes :).
Because it is an important view for regulators to see that the deal only makes sense in a scenario where Microsoft extinguishes all competitors by methods beyond the "fair market competition" that regulators are charged with defending.

If Microsoft claim they are buying it to be competitive inside the established games industry then the numbers need to corroborate that, no? Otherwise they are at risk of being accused of misleading regulators. But as the numbers don't support that "competition" scenario Microsoft's MO is exposed IMO.

yurinka

Xbox is #5 and PS is #1 according to Papa Satya's list. I wonder how he got to that conclusion.
He's right, in gaming revenue for public companies MS is top 4. Adding there private companies maybe there is some other one like Epic (due to Fortnite and specially UE) or Valve (due to Steam) above them.

If you look at it per gaming platform/ecosystem mobile, Steam, Sony and Nintendo are above them (so they would be 5th) in both revenue and users.

So as he says depending on how you count it MS is around 4th or 5th. Sony is top 1 in things like console userbase, non-mobile gaming game sales & revenue by platform (even going beyond consoles), game subs (at least of the non-mobile gaming ones with known numbers) and cloud gaming (at least of the ones with known numbers).

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Having it day one on gamepass is a pretty big value.
I just wonder too if this impending deal will have much impact on this new COD sales wise.

Texted my nephew to see if he got nailed by Epic since he uses one of those newly banned cheating devices and he hasn't played yet

Then asked if he was going to buy the new COD since he has been playing the beta and he replies "Why would I it should be on Gamepass soon enough, will just play Warzone 2 until then".

Mercedes Reaction GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I just wonder too if this impending deal will have much impact on this new COD sales wise.

Texted my nephew to see if he got nailed by Epic since he uses one of those newly banned cheating devices and he hasn't played yet

Then asked if he was going to buy the new COD since he has been playing the beta and he replies "Why would I it should be on Gamepass soon enough, will just play Warzone 2 until then".

Mercedes Reaction GIF

Your nephew is a smart lad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom