• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JLB

Banned
Don't kid yourself. It's very much a closed platform. All of that stuff is meaningless unless you're balls deep in their ecosystem.
  • Can I purchase a game of their on Steam and play it without having to sign in to and remain signed into an Xbox account for the duration of my play session? No.
  • Can I take a PC game that I've purchased from them and play it via cloud anywhere other their xcloud service? No.
  • Can I do "play anywhere" without purchasing through their store? No (so it's not really "play anywhere is it")
So tough shit, unless they demonstrate they are actually willing to be open instead of just saying they are open then they are going to continue to face stout opposition for this deal where it matters.

All you see is cows because you're a sheep.

Did MS punch you when you were a kid at highschool?

GHG

Purchasing on steam makes it open, not the login.
Don't know why you are bringing the login.

The login has everything to do with it. Just so that you can enlighten yourself, go and purchase Flight Simulator on Steam and see what happens. You can't even download the game unless you login to (or create) an Xbox account, nevermind actually play it.

You might be able to purchase their games on Steam in order to make use of the better features available via the steam ecosystm but it's pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

This is due to the forced 3rd party (xbox) account link. Should we end up with another GFWL situation then all of their games people have purchased via Steam become inoperable.

You can play xcloud anywhere. Currently xcloud doesn't purchased games, so this point is meaningless.

Would it not be better for consumers to have the option of playing their purchased games via xcloud or any other cloud service? Why are you advocating for cloud customers people being locked into a particular subscription service without any other option?

Play anywhere includes both their store.

Play anywhere is only available via their store. You can't purchase their games on Steam and "play anywhere" even despite being forced to log in to their crap.

Let's not try straw argument here. They are pretty much open with how you want to play their games. They aren't restricting you on certain platforms.

You can play Xbox games on windows store, Xbox console, steam and xcloud. That is pretty much open platform.

You just described the definition of a closed platform, congratulations. Just because said closed platform gives you options, it doesn't make it open.

If people want to say "cloud is the future" then it's a pretty dark one if people are not even given the autonomy to decide where they are allowed to play their purchased games. If you live in an area where (as an example) GFN servers are available (because there are some areas that GFN support that Xcloud doesn't and vice versa) or in closer proximity and would give you a better playing experience then why should you be forced to use xcloud to play games you've purchased? If Xbox want to say they are letting people choose how they play their games then actually give them choice.

To demonstrate what I mean, if I want to purchase and play assassins creed valhalla, I have a choice of store on which I can purchase it on (steam, Ubisoft connect, epic), and then I have a choice how I want to play it (native vs cloud). If I decide cloud then I can decide whether I want to play via Ubisoft's cloud service (via luna), geforce now or any other cloud gaming service that supports purchased games.

Now if you compare that to what xbox does. Choice of purchase - xbox store or steam only. Cloud gaming provider - xcloud only.

"Choice" my arse.

How am I a sheep? You've seen me post my gaming history, over 4 decades of it mate. I'm not an xBot so you don't get to name call me a sheep. I trash Halo because it's been shit for a decade or more. I praise Sea of Thieves or Ori or Grounded or GP etc. I love Ninty first party, so happy to see them doing great. I really don't like Sony last generation or this generation. I have no interest in their games or hardware or VR. I foolishly upgraded my PC years ago thinking Star Citizen would launch soon enough, I'll upgrade to play SC if it ever gets across the finish line. I've owned Playstations 1 and 2, really fell off in the PS3 era for me though.

I game on phones, Xbox, PC, Nintendo, mini-SNES/NES, I have 2 arcade cabinets at home. I've coded games myself on and off over my life for fun projects. I own CAD/MAX/Unreal just to learn it on a student or free licence etc. Hardly a sheep mate.

At any rate you're trying to rebut with some utopian end product perfect model for Xbox and completely ignoring the shite state of Sony or Ninty or Apple by direct comparison. Xbox is the only player even remotely close or heading in the right direction to that lofty goal of yours. They're working on it, I doubt any industry player gets there 100% but I'd take MS/Xbox pushing for years now down that road over say Sony or Ninty or Apple's walled gardens and hardware. In terms of progress to your stated rebuttal open goal all players with the exception of Xbox are flatly stagnant with zero interest in opening the gaming segments up to each other. Perhaps your nVidia statement flies in the face of that but MS/Xbox are hardly the only ones to withdraw from what nVidia tried to execute on all the other publishers/devs/platforms etc.

Your name calling doesn't absolve that you think MS is closed, even if I concede that argument it just makes Sony/Ninty/Apple that much worse by your own argument. Will you soon rage quit too?

I didn't ask for your life story, nor do I care. You've bought their PR, you've drunk the coolaid and you're exactly the type of customer they want and need. It is not possible to play any of their games without creating and signing into an Xbox account. That is a fact.

If you want to tell me I say "moo" then you unequivocally say "baaaa".

feynoob feynoob dont bother the people you are arguing with are too stubborn to see something without tinted glasses.

For the love of God please get your graphics card fixed or buy a new one. With each passing day you become more bitter and insular.

Did MS punch you when you were a kid at highschool?

Yes. Next question please.

Last edited:

reksveks

Just cause the gamer lawsuit is a bit more 'fun'

http://www.fosspatents.com/2023/02/sonys-jim-ryan-activision-blizzards.html?m=1

Lawyers want the following to testify or at least be available to testify

9k0UHuN.jpg

Documents that the Lawyers want to have access to

McXDNZA.jpg

Microsoft's lawyers responses

joEBbk5.jpg

Three

At least you got punched.
I got my gut twisted, when I found out that Phil was a Chelsea fan.
As arsenal fan, that news is disgusting.
I am now forced to hate Phil.
Would you be happier if he was a Tottenham fan?
9.5 million pages lol they handing over printed source code or something.
What's this referring to? Someone's discovery?

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
They locked them down because they are easy targets for PR victories, they see neither as competition. Unfortunately for them the regulators have seen straight through that stunt.

Come talk to me when they throw Nvidia a bone and allow current and customers who have purchased their games to play them via GeForce Now instead of attempting to railroad everyone through xcloud.

That's something that would be seen as a significant development for regulators but they won't do it. I wonder why.
It's going to be a tough year for you isn't it? Xbox is going to crush it with games and close the deal. How will you cope?

demigod

The login has everything to do with it. Just so that you can enlighten yourself, go and purchase Flight Simulator on Steam and see what happens. You can't even download the game unless you login to (or create) an Xbox account, nevermind actually play it.

You might be able to purchase their games on Steam in order to make use of the better features available via the steam ecosystm but it's pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

This is due to the forced 3rd party (xbox) account link. Should we end up with another GFWL situation then all of their games people have purchased via Steam become inoperable.

Would it not be better for consumers to have the option of playing their purchased games via xcloud or any other cloud service? Why are you advocating for cloud customers people being locked into a particular subscription service without any other option?

Play anywhere is only available via their store. You can't purchase their games on Steam and "play anywhere" even despite being forced to log in to their crap.

You just described the definition of a closed platform, congratulations. Just because said closed platform gives you options, it doesn't make it open.

If people want to say "cloud is the future" then it's a pretty dark one if people are not even given the autonomy to decide where they are allowed to play their purchased games. If you live in an area where (as an example) GFN servers are available (because there are some areas that GFN support that Xcloud doesn't and vice versa) or in closer proximity and would give you a better playing experience then why should you be forced to use xcloud to play games you've purchased? If Xbox want to say they are letting people choose how they play their games then actually give them choice.

To demonstrate what I mean, if I want to purchase and play assassins creed valhalla, I have a choice of store on which I can purchase it on (steam, Ubisoft connect, epic), and then I have a choice how I want to play it (native vs cloud). If I decide cloud then I can decide whether I want to play via Ubisoft's cloud service (via luna), geforce now or any other cloud gaming service that supports purchased games.

Now if you compare that to what xbox does. Choice of purchase - xbox store or steam only. Cloud gaming provider - xcloud only.

"Choice" my arse.

I didn't ask for your life story, nor do I care. You've bought their PR, you've drunk the coolaid and you're exactly the type of customer they want and need. It is not possible to play any of their games without creating and signing into an Xbox account. That is a fact.

For the love of God please get your graphics card fixed or buy a new one. With each passing day you become more bitter and insular.

Wait what is this true? I just bought 2 cheapass cd keys of age of empires 2 DE for steam and I was able to download the game without logging into xbox. Albeit it is a 2019 title. But yeah it is annoying that ms wants you to log into their ecosystem.

GHG

It's going to be a tough year for you isn't it? Xbox is going to crush it with games and close the deal. How will you cope?

Just wondering, have posts like this ever not backfired?

Wait what is this true? I just bought 2 cheapass cd keys of age of empires 2 DE for steam and I was able to download the game without logging into xbox. Albeit it is a 2019 title. But yeah it is annoying that ms wants you to log into their ecosystem.

Flight sim is the most egregious example. For most other games they will actually let you download the game via steam but you will still need to login in order to play.

This applies to all games they publish, which is why them allowing Bethesda to continue to publish their own games was for the best from a PC perspective. There's no such login/download requirement for HiFi rush for example.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

"Choice" my arse.

Bro, this seems ludicrous to me. You are THIS angry that you are required to sign into a Microsoft account to play their games?

I have to sign into my Apex account on steam, my fortnite account on any platform to play, same for call of duty. I really dont understand where you are coming from.

Do you flip your shit when you have to sign into a Netflix account on your TV? Or DIsney Plus...Or whatever.

How are you going to handle signing into your PSN account on their gaas games on steam etc?

demigod

Just wondering, have posts like this ever not backfired?

Flight sim is the most egregious example. For most other games they will actually let you download the game via steam but you will still need to login in order to play.

This applies to all games they publish, which is why them allowing Bethesda to continue to publish their own games was for the best from a PC perspective. There's no such login/download requirement for HiFi rush for example.
I logged into my copy, not sure if my son did. I don’t think he even has an xbox account. I kind of regret logging in. That achievement popup is atrocious.

GHG

Bro, this seems ludicrous to me. You are THIS angry that you are required to sign into a Microsoft account to play their games?

I have to sign into my Apex account on steam, my fortnite account on any platform to play, same for call of duty. I really dont understand where you are coming from.

Do you flip your shit when you have to sign into a Netflix account on your TV? Or DIsney Plus...Or whatever.

How are you going to handle signing into your PSN account on their gaas games on steam etc?

Yes. I'd rather there's no additional DRM for games I've purchased other than the storefront DRM present on the store I've purchased said game on. It's an additional layer that only ever ends in tears later down the line. This has been proven many times and I'm not alone in this thinking. Go and look at the reviews on steam of any game that requires additional 3rd party DRM and logins.

Steam offer their own DRM, if you're going to sell your games on there then use it. There is zero benefit to the consumer when these additional layers are added. They only exist for control and data collection purposes.

Your TV streaming example doesn't fly, without logging in there is no content. The content does not reside on your TV or streaming device.

Last edited:

Three

Those logins are bullshit though wherever they are. Especially the ones that just do it for data collection and offer you NOTHING for it. At least if you are keeping a record of me use it to provide me with something like cross platform purchases.

Which is what's great.

How does that make sense given the conversation about somebody being against the acquisition and games becoming" their game" and subsequently channeling people through xCloud instead of throwing other platforms like nvidia's a bone?

Ozzys comparison to others seems more like just console warring about their established platforms.

Say Playstation was buying Capcom. Would this be a sound thing to say? :

Yet that's exactly what was said. And the reply was that those things are still their ecosystem.

Then somebody else saying

Their game = windows later+ stream on PS+ Premium + PS5 + Steam later

so you shouldn't be against them buying Capcom and channeling people through PS+ Premium because in comparison to Nintendo they are "open".

Having more established platforms doesn't mean the company is open to throwing competitors a bone. It doesn't mean you can't rebut PS ownership of Capcom IP or be against an acquisition. As you said if they are independent they would release on as many platforms as possible.
Well first I would ask what's wrong with them channeling people through XCloud if it's their game. If you're against the acquisition, then that's all fine and merry. But to concoct this whole argument based around "Throwing Nvidia a bone" just doesn't equate.

Nvidia is somewhat of a psuedo platform owner. They have a streaming service, but unlike virtually every other platform owner, they produce absolutely zero games. Now I'm sure Nvidia would prefer CoD to be on their platform which makes it understandable that they'd be less than thrilled about CoD being acquired by Xbox. Ultimately though, Nvidia has little leverage to negotiate for it. If they produced games as an incentive to drive players to their platform instead of entirely relying on publishers to prop up their service then your argument would have more merit.

But they don't. This isn't even including the fact that Nvidia as a company has a long and well recorded history of being one of the (if not the most) greediest companiesin their industry. Their products and postion in their respective market allows them to charge higher prices. A fact that they take complete advantage of to the last cent. "Throwing anyone a bone" simpky isn't in their vocabulary. No bones were thrown when it comes to the rates they charge console manufacturers. The throwing of bones shall not be done to consumers buying their GPU's. In fact, when it does come to their core consumer base... The only "throwing" being done is to those core consumers themselves, as they've already proven when they neglected them in favor of crypto miners.

But even if we ignore all of that. It's important to remember that absolutely no platform is entitled to any game whatsoever aside from those made by the platform owner themselves. That goes for sequels or otherwise. That's not to say that platform owners don't often sign deals in order to associate a series or game with their platform because they most definitely do. But that's simply a marketing strategy to drive consumers to their platform. This notion that MS is breaking some unwritten code by making titles they pay for exclusive is nonsense. Every single CoD release has always been on Playstation? That's great, but it by no means guarantees the next one or any others will. Xbox isn't entitled to the next (or any for that matter) Final Fantasy game, but it's got nothing to do with brand association or anything of the sort. It's because it's Square's IP, and they can release it where they wish. Same goes for Street Fighter. This is all to say that regardless of what this platform holder wants, or that platform holder thinks. At the end of the day the owner of the IP gets to decide where the game goes. And just as some choose to go only with Playstation, others are free to go only with Xbox, or even Nintendo if that's what they want. Be it via an exclusivity deal, agreeing to be acquired, or even as was the case for Kojima with Metal Gear back in the day... because you just don't wanna.

Riky

$MSFT
There is a good reason for it, it means your save is consistent over Xbox and Steam, I play Halo Infinite on PC sometimes and it keeps one save as well as access to the battle pass etc.

reksveks

Those logins are bullshit though wherever they are. Especially the ones that just do it for data collection and offer you NOTHING for it. At least if you are keeping a record of me use it to provide me with something like cross platform purchases.

Yeah, you need to offer value for basically your email address (true for games and advertising).

I do wonder if some people don't find value in cross platform progression/saves, purchases or achievements (personally Idgaf about achievements), should the producer/developer enable the game to have an opt out. Probably yes.

For games that are online only, slightly less concerned but maybe wish there was an industry standard for crossplatform play/progression/saves/purchases.

Three

Well first I would ask what's wrong with them channeling people through XCloud if it's their game. If you're against the acquisition, then that's all fine and merry. But to concoct this whole argument based around "Throwing Nvidia a bone" just doesn't equate.
I'm not sure what you mean by "concoct this whole argument". The discussion started because of a new FTC court document with Nvidia as a respondent. Somebody then said something like "MS PR about being open is just that, call me when MS throws nvidia a bone and allows their games on GFN" yet instead we are deflected to discussing the different ways MS can get you into their ecosystem instead.

The "what's wrong with them channeling people through XCloud if it's their game" is a strange response because we are discussing whether regulators should allow it to become 'their game' and their decreased willingness to support competing platforms if it does.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Hope that MS make a deal with Nvidia, that they will have to put Nvidia GPU in the next console, so they won't oppose this merger. I know probably a wet dream, but being PC green rat is too easy these days.

reksveks

Hope that MS make a deal with Nvidia, that they will have to put Nvidia GPU in the next console, so they won't oppose this merger. I know probably a wet dream, but being PC green rat is too easy these days.
Letting Nvidia power the PC games on xcloud that they don't have a solution for is the quick win but there is quite a few things/partnerships that they could do.

feynoob

Banned
Company called us for a meeting and spent 15min talking about diversity.
Meanwhile, they are trying so hard to not increase our pay grade, and use useless programs in order to not increase it.

GHG

*Show ignored content*

Not really a lie when I'm right and you're wrong, the key word was Battlepass, which even you would realise would not apply to single player. For the multiplayer the progress on Steam syncs to your Xbox account.
Wrong yet again.

This is what you said:

There is a good reason for it, it means your save is consistent over Xbox and Steam

What you describe is only the case with Halo Infinite's free to play multiplayer. This doesn't apply to any other games and doesn't even apply when going from the Microsoft store on PC to Steam and vice versa. It doesn't even apply to Halo Infinite itself as far as the singleplayer content is concerned.

You said "there's a good reason for it". So tell me, what exactly is the "good reason" that people who purchase (note the key word here) Microsoft games on Steam have to deal with an additional layer of DRM and logins when there is zero benefit to them as a player? Because it certainly isn't due to game saves.

Me watching Riky Riky trying to debate GHG GHG and realizing that Riky doesn't know GHG got all the receipts.

tumblr_lvbnm1n4Sj1qcc6r4.gif

The dunce (along with a couple of others) have me on ignore because they can't handle the truth and the fact that every single one of their lies gets shot down.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is what you said:

What you describe is only the case with Halo Infinite's free to play multiplayer. This doesn't apply to any other games and doesn't even apply when going from the Microsoft store on PC to Steam and vice versa. It doesn't even apply to Halo Infinite itself as far as the singleplayer content is concerned.

You said "there's a good reason for it". So tell me, what exactly is the "good reason" that people who purchase (note the key word here) Microsoft games on Steam have to deal with an additional layer of DRM and logins when there is zero benefit to them as a player? Because it certainly isn't due to game saves.

The dunce (along with a couple of others) have me on ignore because they can't handle the truth and the fact that every single one of their lies gets shot down.

Do you get Xbox Achievements at all for games on steam?

I imagine, if that is the case it is to allow MS to track achievements and other stats for future development etc.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Do you get Xbox Achievements at all for games on steam?

I imagine, if that is the case it is to allow MS to track achievements and other stats for future development etc.

You do, I've got the Steam achievements for Halo Infinite Campaign even though I own the single player game on Xbox not Steam.

GHG

So data collection and tracking?

That's a benefit to them, not for the customer who has purchased that game.

Other games do this without the added layer of DRM and will always give you an option to opt in or out upon first boot of the game. It's not forced and they don't make you log in to any additional accounts (or download anything else) just to simply play the game.

FTC takes another massive L. Same law firm and legal team advising Meta in their win in federal court is also advising Microsoft.

Meta is far more dominant in the VR space than Microsoft is in gaming, and the FTC still lost. The best argument they have against Microsoft is the price tag of the deal and the facts it's Microsoft. Nto winning arguments at all. Call of Duty simply doesn't possess power to foreclose a competitor such as Sony.

Nintendo outsells both without it, and no credible claim can be made that Nintendo is somehow not in the same business as Xbox and Playstation or somehow not relevant when there exists so many crossover customers who own a combination of the three consoles.

Riky

$MSFT
FTC takes another massive L. Same law firm and legal team advising Meta in their win in federal court is also advising Microsoft.

Meta is far more dominant in the VR space than Microsoft is in gaming, and the FTC still lost. The best argument they have against Microsoft is the price tag of the deal and the facts it's Microsoft. Nto winning arguments at all. Call of Duty simply doesn't possess power to foreclose a competitor such as Sony.

Nintendo outsells both without it, and no credible claim can be made that Nintendo is somehow not in the same business as Xbox and Playstation or somehow not relevant when there exists so many crossover customers who own a combination of the three consoles.

Wonder if they might do a deal now to avoid further embarrassment.

feynoob

Banned

Let's not celebrate dude.
FTC were never the deciding factor for this deal.
Them blocking this deal caused MS enough headache with EU sending SO.
If CMA sends that too, it's dead as F.

NickFire

Have you read the decision? Can you point to parts therein showing relevancy to the MS case? Dou have any data to showing that the VR market and console / gaming subscription markets will be analyzed even close to the same?

Or is your enthusiastic spike (before the ball even crossed half field, never mind goal line) premised solely on MS hiring the same lawyers? And if so, do you also think anyone who hired Casey Anthony or OJ's lawyer were guaranteed to win their murder cases too?

Pelta88

Pure comedic gold.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So data collection and tracking?

That's a benefit to them, not for the customer who has purchased that game.

Other games do this without the added layer of DRM and will always give you an option to opt in or out upon first boot of the game. It's not forced and they don't make you log in to any additional accounts (or download anything else) just to simply play the game.

Exactly that.

Woooof, you are setting yourself up for a classic L when Sony requires logins to their PSN network for their Gaas games on Steam or Epic launcher.

Because you know its coming right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom