• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
according to some of these tweets , this is sony...............................

BU8wB7CCEAAickX.jpg

Eotheod

You misread. He did not say "PS5 performed better with its specs". He said "PS5 performed better THAN its specs".
Ah apologies, for some reason my brain crossed wires and thought "it" was referring to PS5 being better THAN the XSX specs.
Will MS fanboys ever stop justifying buying a whole company (the biggest publisher and something like 30+ licenses) for an outrageous price just because they're butthurt that Sony bought SOME (temporary or not) exclusives? Wasn't MS doing that a lot at the time of the 360 too? Oh but I forget they're the good guys so it doesn't matter. All Hail MS!
My whole point was it's stupid how much drivel fanboy crap comes out of the woodworks to defend poor little Sony, who is currently leading the games industry and has for two generations. Sony is perfectly fine, the industry is perfectly fine and Microsoft is perfectly in their right to purchase Activision. The games industry is far and away more reactive to these things and more capable of outputting alternatives if customers want it.

The games industry isn't stuck behind a wall of affordability like other media industries. Literally anyone can make a game, even your mother could make one and it become a multi-million seller. There are hundreds of thousands of games in all genres, it's just up to the collective buyer whether they are interested or not in an alternative.

Activision's titles are not the be all and end all, despite how much Sony is trying to convince everyone they are. The only reason Sony is fighting so hard is because they themselves have fought so hard to make CoD the home of PlayStation. That's a money making machine for them that they don't have to worry about developer overhead, unlike their first party titles. It's also utterly absurd people think Microsoft would stop selling CoD across consoles, because that would be killing the golden egg laying goose.

Seriously, it's what I truly do not understand in just how incompetent the FTC and such are when it comes to logical thinking. It straight up feels like they have no experts in the field, and instead rely on company hearsay which is going to be wildly the opposite of the buyer.

demigod

Ah apologies, for some reason my brain crossed wires and thought "it" was referring to PS5 being better THAN the XSX specs.

My whole point was it's stupid how much drivel fanboy crap comes out of the woodworks to defend poor little Sony, who is currently leading the games industry and has for two generations. Sony is perfectly fine, the industry is perfectly fine and Microsoft is perfectly in their right to purchase Activision. The games industry is far and away more reactive to these things and more capable of outputting alternatives if customers want it.

The games industry isn't stuck behind a wall of affordability like other media industries. Literally anyone can make a game, even your mother could make one and it become a multi-million seller. There are hundreds of thousands of games in all genres, it's just up to the collective buyer whether they are interested or not in an alternative.

Activision's titles are not the be all and end all, despite how much Sony is trying to convince everyone they are. The only reason Sony is fighting so hard is because they themselves have fought so hard to make CoD the home of PlayStation. That's a money making machine for them that they don't have to worry about developer overhead, unlike their first party titles. It's also utterly absurd people think Microsoft would stop selling CoD across consoles, because that would be killing the golden egg laying goose.

Seriously, it's what I truly do not understand in just how incompetent the FTC and such are when it comes to logical thinking. It straight up feels like they have no experts in the field, and instead rely on company hearsay which is going to be wildly the opposite of the buyer.
You know what cracks me up? Lotsa 2018 members been coming out of the woodworks with low post count defending poor little microsoft. Maybe Mod of War Mod of War should look at who's alt you belong to.

And you're definitely wrong about this. MS has so much money they are willing to cut the cord with the competition. Look at Bethesda.

Riky

$MSFT
I dont remember MS having to sign any deal with anyone for Minecraft when they purchased Mojang. They just kept it multiplatform and even did with new games in the franchise, proof enough that the same plan would apply to COD. A precedent like that is all the evidence any regulatory body needs.

Pelta88

I dont remember MS having to sign any deal with anyone for Minecraft when they purchased Mojang. They just kept it multiplatform and even did with new games in the franchise, proof enough that the same plan would apply to COD. A precedent like that is all the evidence any regulatory body needs.

When you haven't followed the thread and none of the details and end up posting pure ignorance to the facts.

NickFire

Why discredit your argument by ignoring a giant pink elegant playing the violin?

X-Wing

Microsoft sees Minecraft as a platform in itself. Highly monetised, requires Microsoft account to play, etc. A great trojan horse to get that traffic going.

GHG

Gold Member

Is this now a competition to see which executive can embarrass themselves most on twitter?

Stick to digital foundry threads mate , you're out of your depth.

The woke guy doing an anti crunch article?
How about the guy, who when it came out that the PS5 lost in the spec wars, went on a campaign to try and push the narrative that the PS5 was actually awesome and better than the specs suggest.

Or how about John L from Digital Foundry saying that he hates Microsoft and wishes they never got into the console buisness?

Or how about all the gaming media like Kotaku who smashed Microsoft for making Tomb Raider a 12 month exclusive game, while praising Sony for all their efforts in bringing exclusive games to the PS. An article so biased that they have apparently removed it from their website now.

There are plenty of Pro Sony in the media.
You mentioned Jez, but he makes no bones about the fact that he is pro Microsoft. I mean, he is the editor of "WINDOWS Central" after all. He is on a podcast called the Xbox Two. Can't get more open than that.
When did XSX won the spec wars?
It might have won the TF battle but that didn't show much of a performance difference.

Btw.: How are those tools doing that have been preached would boost Xbox performance on games?

Last edited:

Ezekiel_

Banned
The regulators can ask if there was a specific agreement in place when Mojang got bought. It's possible there was a multiplatform clause. I'll forward your point to the CMA.

GHG

Gold Member
Guys please understand. Lulu, who in her short time at the company has actively been attempting to dissuade her fellow colleagues from attempting to unionise, just wants the best for everyone as far as this deal is concerned. She wants the best for her colleagues, for Microsoft, and most importantly, for us gamers.

No way does any of this have anything to do with the half a million dollars that will fall on her lap despite only being at the company for less than 6 months.

When did XSX won the spec wars?
It might have won the TF battle but that didn't show much of a performance difference.

Btw.: How are those tools doing that have been preached would boost Xbox performance on games?
Why would you try to console war?
If you wernt around when the specs were released and the shit storm that followed then I don't know what to tell you.

Eotheod

You know what cracks me up? Lotsa 2018 members been coming out of the woodworks with low post count defending poor little microsoft. Maybe Mod of War Mod of War should look at who's alt you belong to.

And you're definitely wrong about this. MS has so much money they are willing to cut the cord with the competition. Look at Bethesda.
You completely ignored my whole point of my post to try a zinga account age comment, gold star to you.

I'm doing what everyone else here is doing, giving an opinion that is not the bible but simply that, an opinion. I believe the acquisition is not as dastardly to the industry as others are pointing out, and that this industry is incredibly reactive to change. I can certainly see acquisitions of this nature being an issue in other sectors where creative freedom is locked behind monetary capability, but this is the games industry. An industry that has people literally making million dollar selling games by themselves.

Everyone is free to disagree, I just find issue with those clamouring at the console warring rhetoric as if that's the gospel because X party said so.

Elios83

I've noticed it as well, lots of alt accounts, many are new but many others are dormant profiles registered in not suspicious times that suddenly become active when the main account goes down. Based on the ban page mods are doing a good sniping work 🏹:messenger_beermugs:

Last edited:

demigod

You completely ignored my whole point of my post to try a zinga account age comment, gold star to you.

I'm doing what everyone else here is doing, giving an opinion that is not the bible but simply that, an opinion. I believe the acquisition is not as dastardly to the industry as others are pointing out, and that this industry is incredibly reactive to change. I can certainly see acquisitions of this nature being an issue in other sectors where creative freedom is locked behind monetary capability, but this is the games industry. An industry that has people literally making million dollar selling games by themselves.

Everyone is free to disagree, I just find issue with those clamouring at the console warring rhetoric as if that's the gospel because X party said so.
Because your opinion is rubbish so I didn't bother but since you asked. You're fine with ms taking away a game franchise with millions of players on playstation. If its so easy to make millions of dollars by selling games, why are there games that flop? Look at Callisto Protocol, Forspoken might be a flop as well. Why don't you go and make a game if its so easy? Why did ms go the gamepass route and day 1 on PC? It's not because their 1st party games are in a decline is it not? If their first party output is doing so hot, why are they going after Bethesda and Activision? Back to the woods you go.

Lulu losing her mind. She personally will make out like a bandit if the sale goes through for $95 per share. Which as many of you know is $45 more than the shares were actually worth.

She's pointing out very effectively how competitive Sony is and why they aren't easy to foreclose because of an acquisition like Activision Blizzard. Certain people who don't wish to see the deal approved obviously don't like that she is doing this. Surprise, surprise.

Topher

Gold Member
He showed his true colours when he went in to bat for the PS5 after the specs were revealed. He got smashed for it.

For what? For this?

"What I'm hearing from people who are actually working on these consoles is that the Xbox is not significantly more powerful than the PlayStation despite the TFLOPS numbers, and that the TFLOPs might be a useful measurement in some ways, but ultimately it's a theoretical max speed and there's so many things that could come between."

He turned out to be right. And how is it showing his "true colors" when he is relaying what he was told from devs? None of that makes him a Sony fanboy.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Sonygaf quality peak post.

Someone says something good about Microsoft, quick ban them.

Edit: wow I got my own unique tag from this! Had to Google wth happens in redmond, apparently the mod is a M$ fanboy and knows about Microsoft quarters around US!
However my ass is not in Redmond since I live in a cold dweller basement in Denmark!

Thanks though demigod demigod :D

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
She's pointing out very effectively how competitive Sony is and why they aren't easy to foreclose because of an acquisition like Activision Blizzard. Certain people who don't wish to see the deal approved obviously don't like that she is doing this. Surprise, surprise.

You should marry her. Then you can talk to each other about your respective ATVI shares every night.

knocksky

Banned
I am not confident that this is going through.

But whatever way this shakes out, the smug replies from Jim or Phil, coupled with their legions of demented fanboys patting eachother on the back afterwards is going to make every forum insufferable.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
You should read his post first on why I even responded to him.
I've read dumber posts in here than what he said.

It doesn't change my statement though.
It was your lame claim about banning people I stumpled upon.

You shouldn't get banned over how stupid you sound, then we would only have a handful of people in here if that was the case.
And I know I wouldn't be one of them myself, so don't take it too harshly.

Makes no sense. MS can literally do the same with their IPs. Just because the Last of Us TV show turned out to be good, doesnt mean that only Sony has this power.
I can see them easily do a tv show based on TES that would do just fine.

The fact that even the console warriors on ERA think that she must be trolling tells a lot.

I missed the part where she says only Sony can do this. But she is accurately pointing out that Sony has means and advantages, one of which is its powerful Sony Pictures business that can help translate to the kind of success she's highlighting while demonstrating the power of the playstation brand.

She correctly demonstrates that with the kind of business and brand synergy, and popularity Playstation possesses, they aren't some competitor who is in need of regulatory protection from this purchase. Some don't like what she's saying because they know she's right and pointing out things that are not helpful to Sony's arguments. It's all on the table, and no one gets to pick the facts most convenient for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom