• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Topher

Gold Member
Next thing you know, we will get people complaining to the king about this deal.

7ot1ye.jpg

NickFire

But why even make that joke at a time like this? Does she think it's beneficial to her job to say things for the lulz?
I'd love to think she made the joke because she thought it was funny and topical. I used to love when people did that without wondering if it was beneficial to the job.

Seriously fellas, someone had to make that joke. I mean come on. It was a giant Diablo billboard with a real life hellish NYC backdrop caused by Canada. The jokes write themselves!!!

Kilau

I'd love to think she made the joke because she thought it was funny and topical. I used to love when people did that without wondering if it was beneficial to the job.

Seriously fellas, someone had to make that joke. I mean come on. It was a giant Diablo billboard with a real life hellish NYC backdrop caused by Canada. The jokes write themselves!!!
That was the joke though. Someone else made it and she commented on it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

But did it have to be her? Dave Chappell made a skit about this type of behavior.

37bc2e2d-1d3b-444f-919d-82fa4bb6c501_text.gif

reinking

Gold Member
Lulu is cute. If she’s was a dog she would have fewer White Knights around here. As for the joke, a little insensitive to the people being impacted by the wild fires but not the dumbest thing she has tweeted out.

PaintTinJr

A former Chancellor of the Exchequer no less, probably still has plenty of influence in the Tory party.
It is a role that has to have someone in the job at all time, so that's not very special.

What is special is that he probably rates as the most disliked chancellor in recent times because of the length of time he did the job and the damage - those of us that think he was rubbish - did to every aspect of British society while he was in the job.

He is like an Anti-Exchequer. If he thinks the deal is good, we should definitely be doing the opposite IMHO.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I thought her joke was funny and well timed to be honest. Kind of refreshing too. I much prefer public faces of large corps making "too soon" jokes than regurgitate talking points / bleating like sheep all day long.
They also have the option to not say anything at all.

To be fair though, I can't pretend to be offended by this. It's maybe not befitting of someone in her position, but that's her choice.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
30 Rock Fellow Kids GIF by PeacockTV
Let's be honest, i don't like the joke because it's from her
She is just a corporate trying to do funny trend to look cool to her shill fanbase that she got after attacks on sony and CMA

laynelane

Funny how the same people gushing and having mental gymnastics of defense over her lame "look at us cool kids" joke is divided by who supports the takeaway deal.

A joke can be lame people, it will be okay. However if the same "joke" came from a perceived rival company, they would be gnashing teeth. Bet.

I noticed that too. It's amazing what and who people will defend so long as it supports their "side". Kind of gross, really.

Drell

Oh no...I wonder how they could ever convince all the ppl that stand to gain millions/billions and want to do the deal to take 30 seconds to sign a paper saying they still want to do the deal...
They can do what they want, but if CMA block them and they don't listen, CMA has the power to do whatever they want about MS product being sold in UK, that's as simple as that.

Oh no...I wonder how they could ever convince all the ppl that stand to gain millions/billions and want to do the deal to take 30 seconds to sign a paper saying they still want to do the deal...

Its a legal document. They take time to write plus there's a negotiation phase beforehand where both parties establish the TOS. After its written up the shareholders have to vote on its approval.

That's a process that doesn't take 30 seconds to complete.

ToadMan

Its a legal document. They take time to write plus there's a negotiation phase beforehand where both parties establish the TOS. After its written up the shareholders have to vote on its approval.

That's a process that doesn't take 30 seconds to complete.

Looking at the Tribunal transcript its evident MS and ABK are very aware of the July date - they described it as the “drop dead date”…

And MS put pressure on to hold an early tribunal.

I think if they can get an early appeal going in the UK they will just try to hand wave in an extension and hope shareholders won’t revolt over it.

I mean that’s effectively whats on the table - shareholders agreed to sell based on the stipulated timescales so the question is if MS/ABK board agree to overrun that arrangement, will shareholders threaten action and if so what would be the financial hit MS would take…? If they say it’s a timescale of months and still closing this calendar year, then probably they get away with it.

ABK can still make board level day to day operating decisions. It’s just a question of how long things drag on for - a good earnings report for ABK (on the back of D4 launch, likely) that pushes their share price may well give shareholders pause to want to renegotiate a price with MS.

It’s clear MS hope to get a CAT judgement in their favor, and then probably close the acquisition before the FTC gets an injunction up, and try to push through regardless of the CMA reassessment.

EDIT : FYI ABK next earnings report is around the end of July. CAT decision if it is rushed through may come before that but it is tight - but a CMA re-assessment would be after.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

Banned
Looking at the Tribunal transcript its evident MS and ABK are very aware of the July date - they described it as the “drop dead date”…

And MS put pressure on to hold an early tribunal.

I think if they can get an early appeal going in the UK they will just try to hand wave in an extension and hope shareholders won’t revolt over it.

I mean that’s effectively whats on the table - shareholders agreed to sell based on the stipulated timescales so the question is if MS/ABK board agree to overrun that arrangement, will shareholders threaten action and if so what would be the financial hit MS would take…? If they say it’s a timescale of months and still closing this calendar year, then probably they get away with it.

ABK can still make board level day to day operating decisions. It’s just a question of how long things drag on for - a good earnings report for ABK (on the back of D4 launch, likely) that pushes their share price may well give shareholders pause to want to renegotiate a price with MS.

It’s clear MS hope to get a CAT judgement in their favor, and then probably close the acquisition before the FTC gets an injunction up, and try to push through regardless of the CMA reassessment.

EDIT : FYI ABK next earnings report is around the end of July. CAT decision if it is rushed through may come before that but it is tight - but a CMA re-assessment would be after.
CMA reassessment is the new final decision, they can't close without that order no matter what CAT says because the case goes back to CMA.

A extension will be costly to Microsoft, they bought Activision on sale and the company is now worth at least 75-80B dollars.

Early tribunal hearing still goes past the deal final date + tribunal decision only arrives early 2024, it goes back to the CMA that can take up to 4 months to deliver a new decision.

Ronin_7

Banned

ToadMan

CMA reassessment is the new final decision, they can't close without that order no matter what CAT says because the case goes back to CMA.

Well that is my understanding too. But from the way the counsel is presenting it’s case at the CAT, it is evident they think if CAT judges in their favor the CMA will approve quickly.

That’s not the historic outcome from these reviews as we know, but that is what MS legal counsel is shooting for. They have to of course, otherwise there is no work for them and no pay day.

A extension will be costly to Microsoft, they bought Activision on sale and the company is now worth at least 75-80B dollars.

Yep probably. Shareholders could bring a legal action if MS-ABK choose to overrun the deadline without getting an approved amendment.

But MS-ABK can draw up an amended timescale and put it to a shareholder vote. They need to do that before the deadline day.

If they lost that vote <boom.gif> if they don’t do a vote at all, limbo and possible law suits.

Early tribunal hearing still goes past the deal final date + tribunal decision only arrives early 2024, it goes back to the CMA that can take up to 4 months to deliver a new decision.

Yes agreed based on what I’ve understood about the process.

But MS and ABK counsel are lining up for a swift decision. I think they believe if they can get a CAT ruling in their favor, they can wrangle the deal through even if that leaves them open to legal action from the CMA.

I honestly dont see us getting the CAT decision in July. There definitely will be an extension but that's something ABK has to agree with as well. Haven't heard anything from ABK on what they think of this. Only that the deal failing is something that can happen.

X-Wing

A former Chancellor of the Exchequer no less, probably still has plenty of influence in the Tory party.

Nice, if there were still doubts of how dirty and corrupt Microsoft can play... here comes another example.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Microsoft has "more than a zero chance" of completing its $69 billion acquisition of videogame giant Activision and has other catalysts if the deal is terminated, according to Jefferies.

"There is likely still a less than half probability this deal ultimately gets approved, but it's definitely more than zero which is where we believe the stock is pricing in," Jefferies analyst Andrew Uerkwitz, who has a buy rating and $95 price target, wrote in a note on Friday.

Uerkwitz sees a chance that Microsoft could look to close the deal around the UK's Competition and Markets Authority, which has blocked the deal. This option would require MSFT or rework the merger agreement and would likely cause a lawsuit from the CMA.

"We don't believe Microsoft should go this far or necessarily will go this far, but based on the commentary from Microsoft, it seems plausible," Uerkwitz wrote.

If the deal is terminated, Uerkwitz expects Activision to do a buyback, likely in the range of $4 billion. The company may do M&A to bolster its near-term "IP opportunities."

Activision has a "reasonable" valuation, Uerkwitz added.

"At today's price, 20x our 2023E estimate is well within its historical ranges and this doesn't account for the $9B of net cash on the balance sheet, and $12.4B by the end of the year if the deal breaks," Uerkwitz wrote. "The company is executing extremely well following the flawless launch of Diablo IV."

feynoob

Banned
Microsoft has "more than a zero chance" of completing its $69 billion acquisition of videogame giant Activision and has other catalysts if the deal is terminated, according to Jefferies.

"There is likely still a less than half probability this deal ultimately gets approved, but it's definitely more than zero which is where we believe the stock is pricing in," Jefferies analyst Andrew Uerkwitz, who has a buy rating and $95 price target, wrote in a note on Friday.

Uerkwitz sees a chance that Microsoft could look to close the deal around the UK's Competition and Markets Authority, which has blocked the deal. This option would require MSFT or rework the merger agreement and would likely cause a lawsuit from the CMA.

"We don't believe Microsoft should go this far or necessarily will go this far, but based on the commentary from Microsoft, it seems plausible," Uerkwitz wrote.

If the deal is terminated, Uerkwitz expects Activision to do a buyback, likely in the range of $4 billion. The company may do M&A to bolster its near-term "IP opportunities."

Activision has a "reasonable" valuation, Uerkwitz added.

"At today's price, 20x our 2023E estimate is well within its historical ranges and this doesn't account for the $9B of net cash on the balance sheet, and $12.4B by the end of the year if the deal breaks," Uerkwitz wrote. "The company is executing extremely well following the flawless launch of Diablo IV."

Unless CMA accepts bribe from MS, this deal ain't gonna see the day light.

Ronin_7

Banned
I honestly dont see us getting the CAT decision in July. There definitely will be an extension but that's something ABK has to agree with as well. Haven't heard anything from ABK on what they think of this. Only that the deal failing is something that can happen.
Cat decision is early 2024.

Riky

$MSFT
George Osborne isn't even an MP any more and has no special powers.

Lobbying is a thing, if you've held the second most powerful position in the government and have friends in the ruling party then you have influence.
Personally I can't stand him and have voted Labour my whole life but my personal politics aren't relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom