• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Micro stuttering with Nvidia ShadowPlay

Hello everybody :messenger_grinning:

I'm here because I recently created a new video of gameplay and I used Nvidia ShadowPlay for that.
But I'm a bit frustrated, because in almost all of my videos captured with ShadowPlay, I have one frame repeated approximately each second and I think it's visible... I don't know why ! :messenger_neutral:

I tried to put the temp folder on a SSD (other than the one where the games are), on a HDD, and it's the same thing.

I record my videos in 1080p at 60 fps (because in 2160p I often have more dropped frames).

I have a Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 as a GPU, an AMD Ryzen 5 3600X as a CPU, 16 Gb of RAM, Windows 10 Pro and games on 2 seperated SSD, 2 HDD for the documents and the music...

So what is wrong with ShadowPlay ? :messenger_confused:

And I know that ShadowPlay uses variable framerate. I convert all of my records in a constant framerate with Handbrake.

Here is how the problem looks like (you can slowdown the video to see the repeated frames better) :

It's a part of the video captured recently (the duration was approx. 45 min), because strangely, today, when I wanted to do a capture to show you the problem, I was surprised to see that there is no stuttering :

It drives me crazy, because I don't understand ! :messenger_weary:
But I only recorded a video of 5-6 minutes.

But generally, I always have this kind of stuttering...

Oki ! Does somebody have a solution please ? :messenger_smiling:

Thank you very much ! :messenger_winking:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I see 2 possibilities but I am far from being an expert so take it with a grain of salt:
1. recording causes more stress to some part of your computer (gpu, ram or storage) try lowering the graphics or closes some processus or check HDD/SSD usage during recording
2:software problem within geforce experience , I have no idea how to fix it beside updating geforce exp when possible

Salut :)

Merci pour ta réponse !

In fact, ShadowPlay has very low impacts on the performances, so I don't think that it will change something. The real strange thing is the constant repeated frames each second.
It's just 1 frame each second ! Not 2, not 3, but 1...

But ingame, it's just perfectly smooth as I said.

But apparently, lots of people has the same issue.

Kenpachii

could be the gpu is maxed out and basically tanks performance, best is to limit FPS in the game itself so shadowplay has room to play with. U could try that and see if that fixes it.

Banned
your game has to run either at the EXACT framerate as your recording or at an evenly divisible/multiple number of it

so if you record 60fps video your game has to run at a perfect 10, 20, 30, 60, 120 or 240 fps etc... if not you will have a mismatch and introduce stutter

Last edited:
could be the gpu is maxed out and basically tanks performance, best is to limit FPS in the game itself so shadowplay has room to play with. U could try that and see if that fixes it.

Yes, maybe I will try that with the synch disabled. Thanks ! :messenger_winking:

It's because you're converting a variable frame rate to a different frame rate.

We have to convert the video in a constant framerate at 60 fps, because YouTube doesn't like variable framerate.
And as you can see here, the video is strangely smooth :messenger_winking:

Maybe it's because the duration of the capture was short... I don't know.

your game has to run either at the EXACT framerate as your recording or at an evenly divisible/multiple number of it

so if you record 60fps video your game has to run at a perfect 10, 20, 30, 60, 120 or 240 fps etc... if not you will have a mismatch and introduce stutter

But with the vsync, it should be 60 fps. Ingame, as I said, I had a perfectly smooth image at 60 fps.

Force v-sync through the Nvidia Control Panel and make sure it’s disabled in-game. iirc both standard and adaptive(fast) should do the trick.

OK. I will try. Thanks ! :messenger_winking:

give window's native Game Bar a try

Thanks, but nope ! :messenger_beaming:

The advantage of ShadowPlay is to use the GPU for encoding and generally to have low impact on the performances.
For all the other things, when I want the best quality, I prefer to use Fraps, Dxtory or OBS :messenger_winking:

Generally there is no big problem with 2D games, but with 3D games, it's more complictated, and when the captured video isn't smooth with these other softwares, I have to use ShadowPlay.

But in an ideal world, I could capture a video in 2160p at 60 fps in RGB :messenger_relieved:

Thanks everybody for your answers ! (y)

yamaci17

thanks for considering, but i have to say game bar had very minimal performance impact on my gtx 1080 back in the day (around %1 fps drop if the game is gpu bound) game bar still uses NVENC but not fully like shadowplay does

shadowplay uses an extra stuff that claws back that %1 perf. drop but game bar's stability and ability to capture anything within the compositor is priceless

Afterburner + RTSS to cap framerate to 60 when recording. You can also press Alt + Z to open GE interface > press on cog > video options and select 130 Mbps. Shadowplay capture is already lossy so not good for editing.

thanks for considering, but i have to say game bar had very minimal performance impact on my gtx 1080 back in the day (around %1 fps drop if the game is gpu bound) game bar still uses NVENC but not fully like shadowplay does

shadowplay uses an extra stuff that claws back that %1 perf. drop but game bar's stability and ability to capture anything within the compositor is priceless

OK, I will try :messenger_winking: I lose nothing.

Afterburner + RTSS to cap framerate to 60 when recording. You can also press Alt + Z to open GE interface > press on cog > video options and select 130 Mbps. Shadowplay capture is already lossy so not good for editing.

You're perfectly right, but I already have the maximum bitrate :messenger_winking:

Thanks for your answers!

For the moment, I hadn't the time to try all of this, but I will do it.

Good evening from France!

Top Bottom