• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS2 Substance is rare now?

AniHawk

Cool. I paid $18-20 for it last year after I'd finished Twin Snakes.

But yeah, Substance never went GH. Though I thought it sold more than the Xbox version.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
senseless inflation is hilarious though. Funny how the GH version of Silent Hill 2 can be just as hard to find yet barely sells for its SRP.

Andy787

Banned
Yeah, there is no GH version of Substance. I've been looking for Substance for like half a year now, but I don't want to pay $50 for the thing. :(

Supposedly the number of units produced for the PS2 version was far less than that of the XBox version. I bought it for 8 bucks at Target and wound up selling it for over 80 bucks on eBay. :lol It pops up used at EBgames for 20-30 bucks at times.

I picked mine up new on Ebay a while ago (I can't recall if it was before or after Twin Snakes) because I noticed it was getting hard to find in stores. The price was a little higher than I expected, but still less than the original MSRP.

I guess that must have been when the price starting going up.

I own the PC version (I really wanted to capture frame buffer screenshots at higher resolutions), would've liked to have the PS2 version but don't have money burning a hole in my pocket.

Daigoro

crap :( my mistake, i thought it came out as a GH title like the xbox version.

oh well guess im going to buy the xbox version back again (5.99$ SIGH!). i never had any problem with the xbox version, i just wanted 2 and 3 on ps2, and the extra content.

seems really silly though.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
it wasn't GH on xbox either! TAKE 10 THERE BUDDY

*ahem* sorry. but don't be so down, the only thing the ps2 version has going for it (besides the lack of slowdown and dithering that everybody overblows on xbox) is the skateboard demo, but that gets real old real fast.

Daigoro

heh, jeez i guess im really confused (nothing new). maybe all that wierd cover art/labels reminded me of a GH title. im sure i payed 20$ for it anyways.

i thought the ps2 version had a few more alternate VR or snake tales missions. i guess i shouldnt rely on my memory for these things! thanks.

B'z-chan

Banned
You guys will hate me i got mine for 5 bucks from Circuit City. It was my best find. I got two copies actually, still have one sealed somewhere at my old house. If i ever find it i might be willing to let it go... Maybe..

B'z-chan said:
You guys will hate me i got mine for 5 bucks from Circuit City. It was my best find. I got two copies actually, still have one sealed somewhere at my old house. If i ever find it i might be willing to let it go... Maybe..

Dibs

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
B'z-chan said:

you were gonna sell me a copy too :|

MrDaravon

Didn't the Xbox version also have some kind of framerate issues? That and the skateboarding are why I finally hunted down the PS2 version in a local store after looking for about a year or so.

Man I got lucky then. After watching the MGS4 trailer I felt the need to replay MGS3, but figured I'd wait since Subsistence will be out in the next few months hopefully, so I figured I'd go and find a copy fo MGS2 Substance. GameStop was doing a buy 2 get one free sale and they had a copy so I picked up two other cheaper games. The disc and booklet are perfectly fine, but the case has seen better days. A few nicks and it looks like it might have been in the sun/rain or something once since the cover has lost it sheen.

Game still plays perfectly.. granted I didn't play it much yet. Can't stay awake for the life of me these last few days.

B'z-chan

Banned
Wario64 said:
you were gonna sell me a copy too :|

If and when i find the other its yours. I felt bad about it but i went back later taht week and found another copy. But i had already opened that one copy. I just never remembered you wanted it. Sorry wario, its yours when i find it at my old house.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Yeah, when I finally decided I wanted Substance in addition to SoL, I thought I'd just go and pick it up. Boy, was I wrong. Finally ended up finding it at an FYE after days of searching all over town.

I just bought a ps2 over the weekend, so I finally had a chance to really sink my teeth in the MGS series. The local movie rental store near me sells old games, and so I bought MGS Substance for $15. It's not mint condition, but seeing as I can never find even the regular MGS2 at EB, I'm very happy. MGS3 Substience can't come soon enough.

Gribbix

It took me a long time to finally find a new copy of the PS2 version MGS2:S and that was a few months before MGS3 was released. I eventually gave up looking in stores and bought it for a somewhat reasonable price online. It seems as though Konami tends to have somewhat limited print runs of their games since they always seem to be the most difficult to track down after they've been out for a while. I had similar problems getting a hold of the GBA Castlevanias.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
B'z-chan said:
If and when i find the other its yours. I felt bad about it but i went back later taht week and found another copy. But i had already opened that one copy. I just never remembered you wanted it. Sorry wario, its yours when i find it at my old house.

haha, no prob. i dont really care if it's opened at this point, i'm pretty desperate for a copy but i dont want to pay over $40 just for a copy. as long as it's playable and in good condition

jooey said:
it wasn't GH on xbox either! TAKE 10 THERE BUDDY

*ahem* sorry. but don't be so down, the only thing the ps2 version has going for it (besides the lack of slowdown and dithering that everybody overblows on xbox) is the skateboard demo, but that gets real old real fast.

Still though, it has the kickass MGS2 remixed theme.

I got mine over a year ago on EBGames.com for either 14.99 or 16.99, I forget. It arrived in great shape, complete; all their PS2 games come with insert, manual, disc. It was in stock yesterday for 24.99 and seems to be so pretty often. Use the AFF15 + SAVER coupons to get 15% off + free shipping when they have it in stock. I think these coupons still work. EB updates their database in the morning at 6 or 7 AM Eastern I believe, so try to check for it in stock early (I could find the exact time on the CAG forums but I'm lazy).

If the game arrives and you're not satisfied with its condition, EB accepts in-store returns, so you won't be out anything except a trip to EB.

Also, try calling up a store and getting them to see if any of the stores in the area have it in stock. I'm pretty sure they can check.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=938518 - Check on gamestop.com for local availability, too.

*checks to see how much MGS2:S goes for on eBay to see if this was all for naught

Top Bottom