• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta Quest 3 | OT + Review Thread |

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The Bobo VR head strap is a great upgrade. Because of the halo design the facial interface is no longer digging into my face and the battery counterbalances the weight of the Q3 so it doesn’t pull down.

I could probably comfortably wear this all day now.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is it normal to get like tons of spam emails from Meta after signing up? I currently have 16 "Unsubscribe confirmation" emails in my deleted folder, all for different newsletters. I got my headset on the 13th, so that's nearly two newsletters (and two unsubscribe confirmations) per day. I'm about to just straight up block meta's domain from emailing me. Sucks I won't get my receipts but eh

Seems you can get a referral bonus for $30 if you refer someone, both you and the person get it if they accept the referral before they start up their headset for the first time and register.
If anyone is interested you can use mine. Also 25% for VR Eleven table tennis HERE.
I wonder, does this work for Quest2 -> Quest3 upgrading? Or will it only kick in for new users on the Meta platform (this is what I suspect)?

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Is there a post / li I for those who picked up a quest 3 to get it connected to pc vr games? And is the graphics / options better? I’d like to stream some games so I need pc access and would love to see chat in the headset??

Minsc

Gold Member
Is there a post / li I for those who picked up a quest 3 to get it connected to pc vr games? And is the graphics / options better? I’d like to stream some games so I need pc access and would love to see chat in the headset??

Virtual Desktop is the app you want, and the headset works tremendously well with it as long as your network is up to it. AFAIK nothing in the price range even comes close to the clarity you get with the Quest 3.

MarkMe2525

As the poster posted in the post after your post, virtual desktop is your answer.

Here is my referral to get 25% off. I'm not doing it to be nice, Meta gives me $5!!!!!!!!

Hot5pur

You can use airlink, I found it works just fine. Put my quest on the 5 ghz network of my router and make sure I Ethernet wires the PC. Then use the quest app to link to the quest. From there you have to launch steam VR.

I haven't tried that specific method yet for steam but I did run some quest PCVR games I download on the oculus store, and the connection was fine.

Before you spend money on virtual desktop you may want to look into it. Also don't rush out to buy a wifi6 router just yet, try airlink with your existing hardware first.

And yes, PCVR will have better looking games than those running natively. If you bought quest 3 you got asgards wrath 1 for free on the oculus app, and that's strictly PCVR. Asgards wrath 2 looks a good bunch worse in comparison (Q3 visuals will likely be hamstrung by Q2 for some time as well). For games available on both Q3 and say steam, you have to decide if you want the game on your Q3 standalone (in case you take it places), or have your stuff on steam in case you decide to change headset companies one-day. SteamVR is likely the safest way to build a library but sometimes I don't want to deal with airlink or if I want to take the headset when visiting family to show off some games.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yes, it's possible it may work ok - but AFAIK airlink has not been updated for the Quest 3, so it will look worse than VD. And there's quite a large number of people who have countless issues with it, VD is a much better, error-free piece of software from my understanding, and certainly in my own experience on a mere WiFi 5 router, it is pretty amazing how great and fast it runs.

Hot5pur

Also people considering the Bobo M3 strap, it seems their battery pack doesn't play all that well with Q3. Might want to wait or get a strap just by itself (not sure if they sell it). This is going around on the subreddit for quest.

Bry0

The Bobo VR head strap is a great upgrade. Because of the halo design the facial interface is no longer digging into my face and the battery counterbalances the weight of the Q3 so it doesn’t pull down.

I could probably comfortably wear this all day now.
Good to hear. Mine shipped the other day.

I ran into the elite strap with battery charging issue and just returned. I have no time to deal with Metas overpriced busted accessories.

Grabbed all of them. Thank You very much!!!
Here's a few top games for quest

Into the radius is.... Well incredible on quest 3 and my current favourite with Eleven table tennis

DUNGEONS OF ETERNITY

INTO THE RADIUS

BEAT SABER

ELEVEN TABLE TENNIS

WALKABOUT MINI GOLF

Last edited:

Tams

I'm tempted to get one to see if I can hodgepodge together some combo with a PC and a capture card/device to use it for the Switch.

Hot5pur

I wonder, does this work for Quest2 -> Quest3 upgrading? Or will it only kick in for new users on the Meta platform (this is what I suspect)?
Seems you have to be a new meta quest user per here.

Thinking of what other games to get. That boxing one looks good, but I don't think I have enough space.
It's too bad many games don't have demos...so counterintuitive to me. Seems like for VR it should be mandatory because of so many factors. 2D games you can generally tell how they will play. VR games are a whole other ballgame.
I think one of the best things devs can do for VR is have more demos...maybe they don't want to because the history of many VR games is being tech demos as it is...
But I dunno, as a consumer it's almost like you're asking me to resort to piracy to try your game out and decide if I actually enjoy how it makes me feel...
When it comes to VR I'm very much wanting to buy games and support this genre now that I see its potential...but man..they don't make it easy

After using the offical elite strap with battery I think I've discovered how it behaves and why it's causing so much headache for me and others.
1: The strap battery must have a charge for the headset to see it.
2: The headset must remain on in order to see a drained strap battery as connected.
3: If you drain the strap battery to zero AND turn the power off (power down) the headset you will not be able to see the strap battery as connected. It will not show up.
4: Unplug the strap battery and give it a charge then turn on the headset and replug in the strap battery to see it again.
5: You can go back to using strap battery and be happy.

Edit -in summary just don't power down the headset and everything seems to work.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
After using the offical elite strap with battery I think I've discovered how it behaves and why it's causing so much headache for me and others.
1: The strap battery must have a charge for the headset to see it.
2: The headset must remain on in order to see a drained strap battery as connected.
3: If you drain the strap battery to zero AND turn the power off (power down) the headset you will not be able to see the strap battery as connected. It will not show up.
4: Unplug the strap battery and give it a charge then turn on the headset and replug in the strap battery to see it again.
5: You can go back to using strap battery and be happy.

Edit -in summary just don't power down the headset and everything seems to work.

Yeah I see no reason to power down the headset myself unless you weren't intending to use it for over a week. Not surprised as the battery strap does communicate with the headset, so if the headset is off that could cause issues.

MarkMe2525

Seems you have to be a new meta quest user per here.

Thinking of what other games to get. That boxing one looks good, but I don't think I have enough space.
It's too bad many games don't have demos...so counterintuitive to me. Seems like for VR it should be mandatory because of so many factors. 2D games you can generally tell how they will play. VR games are a whole other ballgame.
I think one of the best things devs can do for VR is have more demos...maybe they don't want to because the history of many VR games is being tech demos as it is...
But I dunno, as a consumer it's almost like you're asking me to resort to piracy to try your game out and decide if I actually enjoy how it makes me feel...
When it comes to VR I'm very much wanting to buy games and support this genre now that I see its potential...but man..they don't make it easy
If you are referring to the "thrill of the fight", it is a awesome at capturing the feel of real bag work, and the fighting mechanics are top notch imo (I competed in amatuers and opened the card for the boxer "Butter Bean" back in my youth). You absolutely will need some space though.

Heads up, Meta has a generous return policy, and if you request within 2 hours of play, they almost always accept refund request.

Edit: BTW, I have a referral posted for it as well, either at the top of this page, or the page before.

Last edited:

Romulus

I think this game is going to be great honestly. The first one was like a 90 on Metacritic and this one is really trying to address the negatives of the first game. Looks to be absolutely massive in scale.

The only downside is probably the 360-era visuals, which in VR will probably look awesome. I'm completely ok with that considering its running at 90fps and a resolution that would make the 360 explode.

I think this game is going to be great honestly. The first one was like a 90 on Metacritic and this one is really trying to address the negatives of the first game. Looks to be absolutely massive in scale.

The only downside is probably the 360-era visuals, which in VR will probably look awesome. I'm completely ok with that considering its running at 90fps and a resolution that would make the 360 explode.

I’m super excited for this game too. I’m totally good with PS3-tier graphics at VR-level resolution and 90 fps. That’s incredibly impressive for standalone VR. I haven’t had a chance to watch the video - so you’d say it doesn’t exceed PS3 level visual fidelity? Not even like part way between PS3 and PS4? Just curious.

Romulus

I’m super excited for this game too. I’m totally good with PS3-tier graphics at VR-level resolution and 90 fps. That’s incredibly impressive for standalone VR. I haven’t had a chance to watch the video - so you’d say it doesn’t exceed PS3 level visual fidelity? Not even like part way between PS3 and PS4? Just curious.

I would say some things blow away PS3 level visuals like draw distance and textures on environmental objects up close, but especially far away. Remember the frequent N64 textures in the ps3 era at 100+ meters and pop-in? I don't see those here at all. The ps3/360 RAM was just absolutely stupid low and crazy bottlenecked by comparison to Quest 2/3. Not only does Quest 3 have 15x more RAM, it's also way faster.
I would just go into it expecting a 360 level game you'll probably be more than happy. I sort of look at it like we're getting a semi-retro game but at 4x the resolution and 3x the framerate.

I'm still sort of shocked at it honestly. People talked about the switch being impressive for its size but the metrics here are actually impressive.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I would say some things blow away PS3 level visuals like draw distance and textures on environmental objects up close, but especially far away. Remember the frequent N64 textures in the ps3 era at 100+ meters and pop-in? I don't see those here at all. The ps3/360 RAM was just absolutely stupid low and crazy bottlenecked by comparison to Quest 2/3. Not only does Quest 3 have 15x more RAM, it's also way faster.
I would just go into it expecting a 360 level game you'll probably be more than happy. I sort of look at it like we're getting a semi-retro game but at 4x the resolution and 3x the framerate.

I'm still sort of shocked at it honestly. People talked about the switch being impressive for its size but the metrics here are actually impressive.

I feel like maybe a comparison to PS3's Final Fantasy - so FFXIII, not everyone's favorite game, but still I think probably looks better than AW2 to someone comparing the two on a PC monitor in a web browser I'd imagine. Definitely has more advanced looking characters IMO, and enemy models, but I'm sure it also had a bigger budget as well.

Romulus

I feel like maybe a comparison to PS3's Final Fantasy - so FFXIII, not everyone's favorite game, but still I think probably looks better than AW2 to someone comparing the two on a PC monitor in a web browser I'd imagine. Definitely has more advanced looking characters IMO, and enemy models, but I'm sure it also had a bigger budget as well.

Yeah the character models for sure, but the game is so static and the ground is just one large texture. The open spaces don't have the living, breathing world feel to them either, you're always in a large "arena" that's wall off by mountains.

Then when you go into actual combat, it's even worse. Everything in the background looks lower resolution and dithered.

Reallink

If you've never used a headset referral code before, you can remote wipe/remove all the old devices from your meta account on the website, then accept the referral link. My old Quest 1 was blocking it for me, but removing it let the referral activate.

If you've never used a headset referral code before, you can remote wipe/remove all the old devices from your meta account on the website, then accept the referral link. My old Quest 1 was blocking it for me, but removing it let the referral activate.
Interesting... so I wonder if I can remove the Q2, use the referral, activate the Q3, then go back and re-activate the Q2 again to redownload everything (because we'll be keeping both headsets).

phant0m

Red Matter 2 is PS4-level graphics imo.

Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge looks good too, but I’d put that between PS3 and PS4.

Minsc

Gold Member
Red Matter 2 is PS4-level graphics imo.

Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge looks good too, but I’d put that between PS3 and PS4.

Red Matter 2 benefits from having very little going on at once, it excels at a technical level but does so by creating a world that is desolate and without much going on. I don't think it compares to RDR2 or FFVII Remake at all personally, and the number of locations and number of opponents/NPCs is extremely limited.

Edit: Look at the Assassin's Creed game releasing for it for another example, that definitely doesn't look great to me compared to PS4's best, it looks quite a bit worse than Spider-Man or TLOU, easily a generation back.

Edit 2: Even Asgard's Wrath 2 for Quest 3 is a downgrade from Asgard's Wrath, which in itself I don't think you could argue holds up to those better PS4 games.

Last edited:
Red Matter 2 benefits from having very little going on at once, it excels at a technical level but does so by creating a world that is desolate and without much going on. I don't think it compares to RDR2 or FFVII Remake at all personally, and the number of locations and number of opponents/NPCs is extremely limited.

Edit: Look at the Assassin's Creed game releasing for it for another example, that definitely doesn't look great to me compared to PS4's best, it looks quite a bit worse than Spider-Man or TLOU, easily a generation back.

Edit 2: Even Asgard's Wrath 2 for Quest 3 is a downgrade from Asgard's Wrath, which in itself I don't think you could argue holds up to those better PS4 games.

I don’t think he said it looks like PS4’s best though. He just said that general calibre (above PS3). But yeah, the average Quest 3 title will probably look like about a PS3.5 game I suspect. Which would be pretty damn good. With some games that perhaps challenge early PS4 games.

Last edited:

phant0m

Dude you picked some of the best looking games in the PS4 library. I never said they matched that, just that they were PS4 level.

Think 2014 PS4. Black Flag. DA: I. Wolf TNO. Stuff like that.

You’re totally right in that it doesn’t have the scale or density of a PS4 game but from a IQ standpoint it’s definitely there. Very detailed textures, nice shaders, good lighting.

Minsc

Gold Member
Dude you picked some of the best looking games in the PS4 library. I never said they matched that, just that they were PS4 level.

Think 2014 PS4. Black Flag. DA: I. Wolf TNO. Stuff like that.

You’re totally right in that it doesn’t have the scale or density of a PS4 game but from a IQ standpoint it’s definitely there. Very detailed textures, nice shaders, good lighting.

I'd be curious to see what actual console games can get ported, we have RE4 which is a PS2 game, and even that looks good on the Quest, but again, just because it's PS3 level imo doesn't mean it's bad. I still think RE4 is one of the best looking games I've played on the Quest so far, and IMO looks better than Red Matter or Red Matter 2. Could the Quest 3 actually run a real PS4 game, I don't know, but IMO most people feel your typical VR game looks pretty bad. And I've yet to really see much that will break that mold.

I personally believe the average Quest games look like PS3 titles at best, and that is from looking at a bunch of the newly released games listed here. I opened a good 5-10 tabs from that page and it's really underwhelming IMO, and I'd struggle to say most of those games are better than PS3 level.

I'd be curious to see what actual console games can get ported, we have RE4 which is a PS2 game, and even that looks good on the Quest, but again, just because it's PS3 level imo doesn't mean it's bad. I still think RE4 is one of the best looking games I've played on the Quest so far, and IMO looks better than Red Matter or Red Matter 2. Could the Quest 3 actually run a real PS4 game, I don't know, but IMO most people feel your typical VR game looks pretty bad. And I've yet to really see much that will break that mold.

I personally believe the average Quest games look like PS3 titles at best, and that is from looking at a bunch of the newly released games listed here. I opened a good 5-10 tabs from that page and it's really underwhelming IMO, and I'd struggle to say most of those games are better than PS3 level.

Do most people really think games look bad on Quest 3? I’m not so sure about that.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Do most people really think games look bad on Quest 3? I’m not so sure about that.

I mean people who aren't in to VR, looking at the games on the Quest. I've seen co-workers take a look at the games in PR stories and the Quest page itself for the device and say they all look pretty bad compared to normal console graphics.

Just taking a pretty random sampling of games this is the type of stuff you see:

1KK9aUG.png

KRbTCYq.png

MJzZuhz.png

OikjEe8.png

KHdggZD.png

UayVsUI.png

Wlspm6u.png

zFkwJPU.png

bXV5yLl.png

Nothing - certainly not the average game you see on Quest's store - is really going to be screaming look at how great this looks.

Romulus

I mean people who aren't in to VR, looking at the games on the Quest. I've seen co-workers take a look at the games in PR stories and the Quest page itself for the device and say they all look pretty bad compared to normal console graphics.

Just taking a pretty random sampling of games this is the type of stuff you see:

1KK9aUG.png

KRbTCYq.png

MJzZuhz.png

OikjEe8.png

KHdggZD.png

UayVsUI.png

Wlspm6u.png

zFkwJPU.png

It's mostly difficult to convey VR visuals too in screenshots. For example Dungeons of Eternity looks really good in the headset, but that screenshot you posted looks like a ps2 game. The NFL game looks way better than that too.

And people who aren't into VR can't really gauge it at all, so of course looking at screenshots or even videos isn't a good reference.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
It's mostly difficult to convey VR visuals too in screenshots. For example Dungeons of Eternity looks really good in the headset, but that screenshot you posted looks like a ps2 game. The NFL game looks way better than that too.

And people who aren't into VR can't really gauge it at all, so of course looking at screenshots or even videos isn't a good reference.

Yes, I agree, it's really hard to convey to people how much better VR games look in VR vs pics or videos.

I think it's probably fair to say that the Quest 3 could reach the looks of PS4 graphics in its games, but could not actually run PS4 games on its hardware. For instance I don't think GT7 could run on the Quest 3, but it could probably run a racing game that visually looks like it could be a PS4 game, it's just the actual PS4 games I don't think the Quest is strong enough to run in VR without heavy, heavy concessions, unless you're talking about much less ambitious PS4 games (at which point you could probably argue they could also scale back to a PS3).

It's like being in VR inherently makes a game look better, simply because of how incredibly larger everything is, and how much more immersive it is imo. So the same game running in VR and running flat on a console will look better in VR because of how much more immersive it is. At least for me.

phant0m

Yeah that guy clearly doesn’t have an actual headset. And I think people also forget just how shitty the PS3’s IQ was. So soft and blurry with and not good textures (thanks 256 meg of VRAM)

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah that guy clearly doesn’t have an actual headset. And I think people also forget just how shitty the PS3’s IQ was. So soft and blurry with and not good textures (thanks 256 meg of VRAM)

I mean another way to look at it is a PSVR2 (which I have) runs actual PS4 games - so there's your target. GT7, RE Village, and the upcoming RE 4 Remake, plus stuff like No Man's Sky - all real PS4 games running without significant sacrifice on the PSVR2.

None of these PS4-level games could run on the Quest 3 headset (which I also have) - the Quest 3 headset is absolutely not in the power range of the PS5 (which powers the PSVR2).

So you have the PSVR2 running actual PS4 games, but the Quest 3 cannot, so while games can look as good at times as PS4 games (Red Matter 2 in some ways), I would definitely not say the Quest 3 is on the same level of power as the PS4 - that is more what you get with the current PSVR2.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

And the ps5 is basically as big as desktop PC but way less powerful.
You're gonna start something we don't need in this thread with talk like that.

1KK9aUG.png

KRbTCYq.png

MJzZuhz.png

OikjEe8.png

KHdggZD.png

UayVsUI.png

Wlspm6u.png

zFkwJPU.png

bXV5yLl.png

Nothing - certainly not the average game you see on Quest's store - is really going to be screaming look at how great this looks.
That's some sexy screen grabs right there.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Played some serious ping pong today.
Warming up to the idea of the boxing game (TOTF) but not sure my downstairs neighbors would love it. I remember they were not fond of ringgit adventure but that one has obnoxious running on the spot. TOTF looks like it has a lot of movement but maybe it's not too bad.

Also got zero Calibur and will stream through airlink. Seemed like a decent enough shooter that is non sandbox and has singleplayer campaign. Gonna see how that goes tomorrow.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yes, I agree, it's really hard to convey to people how much better VR games look in VR vs pics or videos.

I think it's probably fair to say that the Quest 3 could reach the looks of PS4 graphics in its games, but could not actually run PS4 games on its hardware. For instance I don't think GT7 could run on the Quest 3, but it could probably run a racing game that visually looks like it could be a PS4 game, it's just the actual PS4 games I don't think the Quest is strong enough to run in VR without heavy, heavy concessions, unless you're talking about much less ambitious PS4 games (at which point you could probably argue they could also scale back to a PS3).

It's like being in VR inherently makes a game look better, simply because of how incredibly larger everything is, and how much more immersive it is imo. So the same game running in VR and running flat on a console will look better in VR because of how much more immersive it is. At least for me.
Depth perception adds a lot of information that is absent in 2d games that needs to be added in by improved shadows textures etc. You never get that 'floating' look to something in VR because of all the extra location information you are getting.

diffusionx

Gold Member
There is no way I'll ever have multiple VR headsets in my house, but I really, really hope Cosmic Smash VR comes to Quest. Sega's already putting their games on there so I do think it is possible, but then again I said that about RE7 all those years ago....

chixdiggit

Warming up to the idea of the boxing game (TOTF) but not sure my downstairs neighbors would love it. I remember they were not fond of ringgit adventure but that one has obnoxious running on the spot. TOTF looks like it has a lot of movement but maybe it's not too bad.
I wouldn't worry too much about bothering the neighbors. It's mostly upper body movement. At most you are just stepping. Awesome game that makes cool use of MR.

Hot5pur

I wouldn't worry too much about bothering the neighbors. It's mostly upper body movement. At most you are just stepping. Awesome game that makes cool use of MR.
Yeah this morning I realized it can do passthrough so I may not have to worry about destroying my living room.

Zero Calibur was good over airlink, but I definitely need to get used to the locomotion and thumbstick viewing stuff.

Also saw a few videos about how some dude has found a way to make unreal engine 4/5 games easily ported to VR (with motion controls, etc). Could be a big deal as there doesn't seem to be much going for AAA PCVR and Meta is mostly investing in mobile stuff to support the quest platform.

MarkMe2525

Just want to vent about my ongoing experience with Meta Support. First off, their support chat is straight out of 2017.

They ask for info that requires you to switch to another app briefly, BAM disconnected, start over.

You are waiting for an agent to respond and your screen times out for 2 seconds, BAM disconnected, start over.

You act super careful not to let screen timeout, and make sure to use another device to gather info to avoid switching apps, BAM disconnected for no reason, start over.

Once I get to speak with an agent, they try to gaslight me into believing that nothing is wrong. I can't access the God damn store to buy software, how the fuck am I supposed to believe that nothing is wrong. Doesn't pull up at all on my headset, and on any other device every sale or bundle is completely absent. Example, RE4 is on sale for everyone else, but if I pull it up then it is full price.

Now my issue has been escalated so I am conversing through email. A real time conversation is impossible. Responses take 24 hours, and in my case where they continually keep asking for more screenshots, videos, etc., a simple dialog exchange has taken days.

Lastly, I'm having an account issue that is effecting my Quest 3, Quest 1, iPad meta app, android meta app, and meta.com. They would not move forward unless I factory reset my quest 3. I questioned how erasing all of my content installed on my Quest 3 is going to correct an issue that spans multiple devices. No good answer, "just do it". Of course that didn't work as expected. I tried act as if I had already performed the reset, and those son of a bitches can actually tell if you legitimately performed the operation.

To tie it all together. I have had an issue since last Tuesday. They have been a huge pain in the ass every step of the way, and a week later nothing has been fixed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom