• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Universe gameplay trailers

Gravijah

ultim8p00 said:
Looks lame as hell. People kept making Capcom think that the retro look is good. "OMG it's so oldschool! It's so cool and retro"

No, it's not. Retro games SUCK and they are UGLY.

Pong SUCKS
Pacman SUCKS
Asteroids SUCKS
NES Megaman SUCKS
NES Metroid SUCKS

fuck your childhood, you're fucking OLD

3d and shaders or gtfo
I just turned 21 this year, how dare you call me old. :mad:

Lijik said:
Really? Because it looks like how an illfated 2.5d classic Mega Man revival would have looked like at the start of last gen.

The player models aren't that bad, but everything else is atrocious from a visual standpoint.

Strange, I feel the opposite, I love the stage graphics, but don't care for the models that much.

ultim8p00 said:
Looks lame as hell. People kept making Capcom think that the retro look is good. "OMG it's so oldschool! It's so cool and retro"

No, it's not. Retro games SUCK and they are UGLY.

Pong SUCKS
Pacman SUCKS
Asteroids SUCKS
NES Megaman SUCKS
NES Metroid SUCKS

fuck your childhood, you're fucking OLD

3d and shaders or gtfo

Shank is 2D, is it not?

Cue Rick James in 5..4..3..

DangerousDave said:
Nice, gameplay from 25 years ago, graphics from a flash game.

No way. Call me when Megaman really enters in year 20XX, instead of 198X.
He did enter 20XX, on the handhelds. Nobody bought them, so he went back to 198X and sold like gangbusters.

At the very least, the reactions in this thread mean I won't have to read nearly as much baww-bawwing about difficulty from GAF's allegedly seasoned gamers.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
MrCheez said:
182926-mm.jpg

I dare you to show me a bigger badass
wzv02.jpg

Segata Sanshiro said:
He did enter 20XX, on the handhelds. Nobody bought them, so he went back to 198X and sold like gangbusters.

That's very debatable. Not the sales, the fact that they enter in 20XX. It was more a 199X (powered up improved more in graphics than in design, and maverick hunter was more like a Megaman 7-2)

I don't ask for MegaBraid, or MegaShank but, for example, I enjoyed Ultimate Ghouls & Ghost much more than any other G&G game ever. It was the right direction in gameplay. Still challenge, but a lot of improvements from the original series.

Gravijah

THEY ENTERED 20XX, IT WAS CALLED MEGA MAN LEGENDS. SOMETHING HAPPENED AND FOR SOME REASON WE NEVER GOT A GODDAMN THIRD ONE

GODDAMN IT

Beth Cyra

DangerousDave said:
That's very debatable. Not the sales, the fact that they enter in 20XX. It was more a 199X (powered up improved more in graphics than in design, and maverick hunter was more like a Megaman 7-2)

I don't ask for MegaBraid, or MegaShank but, for example, I enjoyed Ultimate Ghouls & Ghost much more than any other G&G game ever. It was the right direction in gameplay. Still challenge, but a lot of improvements from the original series.

How was X, 7-2 when it came before 7?

DangerousDave said:

Oh bullshit. Maverick Hunter and Powered Up were both graphically in the PS2's league, which is certainly post year 2000, and gameplay/design wise, if you think Powered Up was 199X then so is GAF's favourite holy cow LittleBigPlanet. And you don't even mention the Zero/ZX games, which had excellent 2D graphics and extremely advanced gameplay.

People had their chance to vote for Shiny Mega Man. They passed. People had their chance to vote for 8-bit throwback Mega Man. They bought in droves. Welcome to democracy. It's a bitch sometimes.

I think people are jumping the gun (ON TEH INTERNET???) here and I am not sure it is really fair to judge the game before we get a full feature list. If this game has all the robot masters, tons of characters, co-op, and a boss maker, I can deal with bad graphics.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Oh bullshit. Maverick Hunter and Powered Up were both graphically in the PS2's league, which is certainly post year 2000, and gameplay/design wise, if you think Powered Up was 199X then so is GAF's favourite holy cow LittleBigPlanet. And you don't even mention the Zero/ZX games, which had excellent 2D graphics and extremely advanced gameplay.

Not talking about graphics, I don't saw anything different in PSP Megaman, in terms of design, that wasn't in any previous Megaman. But UG&G was much better.

And yes, is a pity that because of they failed in PSP (that was still very similar in terms of design), they got stuck in the same old gameplay forever.

Also, related...

Inafune said that some Japanese developers are "still living the glory of the '80s and '90s," when the NES, Super NES and Genesis delivered a steady stream of hit games from Japan to the world.

DangerousDave said:
Not talking about graphics, I don't saw anything different in PSP Megaman, in terms of design, that wasn't in any previous Megaman. But UG&G was much better.

And yes, is a pity that because of they failed in PSP (that was still very similar in terms of design), they got stuck in the same old gameplay forever.

Also, related...
Inafune also wants to give Devil May Cry to Ninja Theory, so he's not exactly a font of wisdom.

Beth Cyra

DangerousDave said:

Also, related...

What? Really X was a huge step up the first 6 Mega Man titles and it only got more advanced from there.

Maverick Hunter showed this just as much as any other X game while taking it one step further when playing as Vile.

MrDaravon

Pretty disappointing. I think the backgrounds look fine, but the character models look totally out of wack in the actual levels. I also have no idea why this product exists; the average user probably doesn't even wind up doing a whole lot with LBP as-is as far as designing levels; so now they're putting out something that only a niche group of people would care about to begin with that's doing something similar. I do not understand, maybe there's something they're not showing yet hopefully.

I'd rather they do a new Megaman X game SNES-retro style or something like that (like MM 9/10) than what this is looking like right now :(

i don't understand why someone who wasn't excited for powered up would be looking forward to this. unless it's the fact that mmpu was on a portable, which is a dumb reason in the first place. also mmpu's artstyle was much better/fitting for the original series imo

duckroll

This is kinda interesting. When I saw the Mega Man and Bad Box Art Mega Man videos, I thought it looked really bad because the proportions were all wrong and it looked lame. Then I saw the Rock Man video, which looked fine. It looks pretty accurate, and pretty close to MMPU in higher resolution. I thought the Ryu model looked pretty good too.

Looks like this is exactly what many of us expected: LBP + MMPU. I'm fine with it as long as there's a lot of variety, and the level editor is very powerful.

Not impressed at all. I thought I was looking at a weird vector graphics Mega Man game for the PC or something. I'm just sick of them trying to spew out Classic Mega Man games that don't really push the boundaries of gameplay or graphics. Love or hate MM8, but it at least felt like it was going somewhere.

PTCoakley said:
Not impressed at all. I thought I was looking at a weird vector graphics Mega Man game for the PC or something. I'm just sick of them trying to spew out Classic Mega Man games that don't really push the boundaries of gameplay or graphics. Love or hate MM8, but it at least felt like it was going somewhere.
Given that the somewhere that it was going was Shittygamesville, I'm pretty glad Mega got off that train.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Given that the somewhere that it was going was Shittygamesville, I'm pretty glad Mega got off that train.
I'd rather that than to try and remake Classic Mega Man games at every chance. What's wrong with wanting an HD Mega Man game that isn't just a digital download and is actually a full retail game that has a higher budget?

Beth Cyra

PTCoakley said:
I'd rather that than to try and remake Classic Mega Man games at every chance. What's wrong with wanting an HD Mega Man game that isn't just a digital download and is actually a full retail game that has a higher budget?

I think this is a full retail game and they are giving it a good budget.

Outside of that they can't win. They make a Rock game people want Legends and or X same with Legends/X as it stands though 9/10 seem to have faired far better then something like PU or MHX which means we will probably get things like 9/10 until the fans show that they want something else on a large scale.

duckroll

PTCoakley said:

I'm having a very hard time trying to imagine what a full retail game with a higher budget will do for Mega Man. As a Mega Man fan, I can't really imagine radical changes in the gameplay and insanely awesome graphics having much of an impact on whether I enjoy the game or not. I just want good level design, good bosses, interesting weapons, and tight controls. None of those require the game to be a retail release, nor a high budget.

PTCoakley said:
Nothing. Just like there's nothing wrong with wanting a nostalgic throwback. We all want things. Some of us get them sometimes.

Realistically, though, Capcom won't even greenlight portable retail Mega Man games anymore, so your odds of getting a full HD retail Mega Man game are about as likely as my odds of getting that awesome sequel to Breakdown I want.

However, liking Mega Man 8 *is* wrong. For that, you should be shot into the sun at high speeds. JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE I'M CLOWN MAN AND I'M A SILLY BILLY HUR HUR SOCCER BALL BOSS SLIDE JUMP JUMP LET'S PAINT EVERYTHING IN PASTEL COLOUUUUUUURRRRS

duckroll said:
I'm having a very hard time trying to imagine what a full retail game with a higher budget will do for Mega Man. As a Mega Man fan, I can't really imagine radical changes in the gameplay and insanely awesome graphics having much of an impact on whether I enjoy the game or not. I just want good level design, good bosses, interesting weapons, and tight controls. None of those require the game to be a retail release, nor a high budget.
But then why bother making new games? They already have 1-6 and 9-10, and without putting a lot of work into good art they're all gonna look and play the same.

TruePrime said:
I think this is a full retail game and they are giving it a good budget.

Outside of that they can't win. They make a Rock game people want Legends and or X same with Legends/X as it stands though 9/10 seem to have faired far better then something like PU or MHX which means we will probably get things like 9/10 until the fans show that they want something else on a large scale.

I mean it's looking that way, yeah. I bought both of them so I'm guilty of hindering the chances of something new, but it just sucks that this is the direction the series has gone to over the years with all the remakes and revivals.

Segata said:
Nothing. Just like there's nothing wrong with wanting a nostalgic throwback. We all want things. Some of us get them sometimes.

Realistically, though, Capcom won't even greenlight portable retail Mega Man games anymore, so your odds of getting a full HD retail Mega Man game are about as likely as my odds of getting that awesome sequel to Breakdown I want.

However, liking Mega Man 8 *is* wrong. For that, you should be shot into the sun at high speeds. JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE I'M CLOWN MAN AND I'M A SILLY BILLY HUR HUR SOCCER BALL BOSS SLIDE JUMP JUMP LET'S PAINT EVERYTHING IN PASTEL COLOUUUUUUURRRRS

Of course MM8 wasn't the best game in the series, but it did some things right that aren't related to the silly voices and weird mini-game sections. I understand people wanting to just play a Mega Man game as they were before, but what's the point of making new ones if they're just the same thing with minor variations? And these iterations aren't even on the same level of something like SFII in regards to changing things up.

Beth Cyra

PTCoakley said:
But then why bother making new games? They already have 1-6 and 9-10, and without putting a lot of work into good art they're all gonna look and play the same.

I mean it's looking that way, yeah. I bought both of them so I'm guilty of hindering the chances of something new, but it just sucks that this is the direction the series has gone to over the years with all the remakes and revivals.

Don't know what to tell you. I have bought every single X game, some of them far more then once. Yet I haven't gotten a single X game this generation outside of Maverick Hunter X and it tanked.

The most you can do is hope for a game you like to be announced and either play and enjoy 9/10/Universe for what they are or just skip out and wait/hope for the elusive Rock/X/Trigger game that you want.

PTCoakley said:
I enjoy 9 and 10, but I'd kill for a new Megaman done in a clean HD version of something similar to 8's style.

TruePrime said:
Don't know what to tell you. I have bought every single X game, some of them far more then once. Yet I haven't gotten a single X game this generation outside of Maverick Hunter X and it tanked.

The most you can do is hope for a game you like to be announced and either play and enjoy 9/10/Universe for what they are or just skip out and wait/hope for the elusive Rock/X/Trigger game that you want.
I've given up on ever seeing another Legends, but it realllllly sucks that MHX tanked because that was one revival I could get behind. It actually added and changed a bunch of stuff.

Dark Octave said:
I enjoy 9 and 10, but I'd kill for a new Megaman done in a clean HD version of something similar to 8's style.

Something on the level of BlazBlue sprites would be awesome.

PTCoakley said:

Of course MM8 wasn't the best game in the series, but it did some things right that aren't related to the silly voices and weird mini-game sections. I understand people wanting to just play a Mega Man game as they were before, but what's the point of making new ones if they're just the same thing with minor variations? And these iterations aren't even on the same level of something like SFII in regards to changing things up.
New levels, new bosses, new weapons. Sounds like a new enough game to me. If I just replay the old ones it's all stuff I've played before, which is fine, but not a substitute for new stuff.

And humour me - what exactly did Mega Man 8 do right that other Mega games didn't?

DeVeAn

I would they rather have continued powered up/maverick hunter on PSN/XBLA...ugh just not what I was expecting.

duckroll

PTCoakley said:

I... don't really understand what you're trying to say. I already mentioned what I enjoy about the series: level design, different weapons, and bosses. Those are not the same from game to game. Some entries have better levels and weapons, some have better bosses, some entries are total shit. As long there are still good stage design in new entries and interesting weapons and bosses, I don't see why they shouldn't be making new games.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
duckroll said:
I... don't really understand what you're trying to say. I already mentioned what I enjoy about the series: level design, different weapons, and bosses. Those are not the same from game to game. Some entries have better levels and weapons, some have better bosses, some entries are total shit. As long there are still good stage design in new entries and interesting weapons and bosses, I don't see why they shouldn't be making new games.

But new graphics = new gameplay!!!! Old graphics = old gameplay!!

Enk

makes good threads.
Finally saw the trailer. Seems like they're advertising this to be their Powered Up 2 with all the MM2 references and music. The visual style seems similar to Powered Up (but looks a little blander), but if the variety is there and the level editor is open enough I am so all over this.

Segata Sanshiro said:
New levels, new bosses, new weapons. Sounds like a new enough game to me. If I just replay the old ones it's all stuff I've played before, which is fine, but not a substitute for new stuff.

And humour me - what exactly did Mega Man 8 do right that other Mega games didn't?

The style was overhauled for one. I felt like 7 was a weird game that didn't really take advantage of the hardware it was on, but 8 did and the sprites/music/sounds show this. And the story, while awful, was at least something more than the same stuff from before. The animated cut scenes are notorious for their shitty voice acting, but that aside I think the idea of incorporating those into the Mega Man series are a good idea if done well, as seen in Maverick Hunter X. MM8 also allowed you to use different weapons in conjunction with one another, though I can't really remember if anything after 8 did that or not.

Again, I'm not saying MM8 was amazing or anything, but I liked that they were trying something new and weren't just remaking the same game.

ultim8p00

Banned
RadarScope1 said:
It's been a while since I've actively felt the desire to punch someone in the face through the Internet. Thanks for that.

Twat.

Calm the fuck down buddy, it was obviously a joke. Jesus, meguman r srs bizness herp derp hurr derp.

PTCoakley said:
The style was overhauled for one. I felt like 7 was a weird game that didn't really take advantage of the hardware it was on, but 8 did and the sprites/music/sounds show this. And the story, while awful, was at least something more than the same stuff from before. The animated cut scenes are notorious for their shitty voice acting, but that aside I think the idea of incorporating those into the Mega Man series are a good idea if done well, as seen in Maverick Hunter X. MM8 also allowed you to use different weapons in conjunction with one another, though I can't really remember if anything after 8 did that or not.

Again, I'm not saying MM8 was amazing or anything, but I liked that they were trying something new and weren't just remaking the same game.
None of that sounds like anything more than what they did in say, Mega Man Zero or Mega Man ZX and definitely doesn't counter-balance the fact that the game played significantly worse than any other game in the series.

Beth Cyra

PTCoakley said:

I don't know man.

I ain't saying your wrong, but honestly the only thing I really see as a difference between 8/9/10 are the cutscenes and while I agree they can work they aren't important to the game part and the graphics are 8bit, outside of that they are similar games once you add slide.

In fact you have the shop, Proto Man and Bass all playable so if anything in the gameplay department 10 probably did more then even 8.

Beth Cyra

duckroll said:
Did I just see expanded storyline in a Mega Man game being listed as a good thing? :lol

I have bad taste and everything but I really thought the Day of Sigma stuff was awesome in MHX.

duckroll

TruePrime said:
I have bad taste and everything but I really thought the Day of Sigma stuff was awesome in MHX.

MMX is the only series which has a storyline worth paying attention to though. Even in MM ZX, the story basically ruined the game for me because it kept getting in the way.

Top Bottom