• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the newly classified Dinosaur 'Anzu wyliei' aka 'chicken from hell'

Status
Not open for further replies.

18-Volt

This looks no different than regular Ovitraptor and other mimic dinosaurs. Wake me when they find something truly extraordinary.

Artist always seem to draw the front legs of small bipedal dinosaurs in the most peculiar way. I can't imagine that Anzu wyliei would hold its arms that way.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Mmm... I would have loved to have the worlds largest bucket of chicken wings.

effzee

zd6pTss.jpg

Can someone make that into an avatar for me? I just find the skull fascinating. Almost looks like a mechanical puppet.

Xane

Read the paper few days ago. Nice seeing this Hell Creek caenagnathid finally getting a name.
Speaking of naming, apparently David Krentz was suggesting the name to Matt Lamanna while they were shooting Dinosaur Revolution. He's also credited in the paper as such - Congrats, David!

Roo

It might be a silly question but I'm so out of the loop when it comes to dinosaurs.. Why do they feathers? When did this "dinosaurs had feathers" thing begin?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It might be a silly question but I'm so out of the loop when it comes to dinosaurs.. Why do they feathers? When did this "dinosaurs had feathers" thing begin?
Around the 90s. People once thought that, since dinosaurs were closely related to birds, some dinosaurs might have been feathered. Then they started finding evidence of such feathered dinosaurs.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
"I only made it this far before I was overwhelmed by a flurry of wings and talons. How they roared and pecked!"

Walshicus

Around the 90s. People once thought that, since dinosaurs were closely related to birds, some dinosaurs might have been feathered. Then they started finding evidence of such feathered dinosaurs.
And then we realised Dinosaurs are extant, not extinct. Birds!

What is it they say? That a T Rex is closer to a chicken than it was to a Triceratops?

Amalthea

Banned
I think Bakker suggested it a few decades prior.
And technically it's known since the 19th century. But because some douchebag professor who told everybody that dinosaurs couldn't be related to birds because they have no wishbone, despite the fact that they had found some already, it was never popular until the 90ies when they found even more undeniably dinosaurian feathered fossils than archaeopteryx already was.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think Bakker suggested it a few decades prior.
And technically it's known since the 19th century. But because some douchebag professor who told everybody that dinosaurs couldn't be related to birds because they have no wishbone, despite the fact that they had found some already, it was never popular until the 90ies when they found even more undeniably dinosaurian feathered fossils than archaeopteryx already was.

The ordering of my sentence is out of whack but yes, that's more or less what I meant. Old idea + new proof = new retroactively applied theory.

Xane

And then we realised Dinosaurs are extant, not extinct. Birds!

What is it they say? That a T Rex is closer to a chicken than it was to a Triceratops?

Using phylogenetic bracketing, yes. T.rex (this is the correct way of abbreviating a name in binomial nomenclature) is part of the clade of coelurosauria, a group of theropod dinosaurs that are more closely related to aves (the modern birds) than to carnosaurs (a group of big carnivorous theropods including the allosaurs). Triceratops, however, is part of the ornithischia family, which branches off basal to the clade of dinosauria (saurischia (including theropods like T.rex) and ornithischia (including the ceratopsian Triceratops)).

I remember seeing feathered dinosaurs being drawn by Gregory S Paul (I think) as far back as 1988. It even be possible that feathered dromaeosaur drawing went as far back as the 70s.

Read the paper few days ago. Nice seeing this Hell Creek caenagnathid finally getting a name.
Speaking of naming, apparently David Krentz was suggesting the name to Matt Lamanna while they were shooting Dinosaur Revolution. He's also credited in the paper as such - Congrats, David!

Does David post here?

It's so weird seeing this thing named, I have had numerous conversations with Matt about what it may be called over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom