• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond presents its story

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
jhbwUF.png

Developed by Respawn Entertainment, Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond is an action-packed VR experience set in World War II, where you step into the boots of an agent of the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) in war-torn Europe. The single-player campaign takes you through historic events on land, air, and sea, sabotaging Nazi bases, subverting enemy plans, aiding the French Resistance, and much, much more.

117927342_301895011041736_1488392816247414672_n.png

118141137_598452494041433_5799577375468847276_n.png
118024937_3392066214187540_7172704621264052204_n.png

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Unpopular opinion but I actually really liked this Medal of Honor campaign and multiplayer:
medalofhonor1.jpg

won’t be playing this as I don’t have VR but excited to see how it turns out as I am a big fan of respawn.

It was the multiplayer that I had the most fun with. Sniper heaven.

Allandor

Well, it looks like a 10 year old game made for VR. But I think it just has to do with small budget.

Overall Medal of Honor is really dead. Why resurrect this for ... a bad looking VR game?

Redlancet

Banned
cant be more full of tropes,hot female resitance fighter,check,nazi on black coat,check ww2 view from the point of a 13 year old

VN1X

Banned
This actually looks pretty decent. Unfortuantely I don't have a VR headset but I'm wondering if I'd even be able to play it on anything other than Facebook VR? As I'm not touching that with a barge pole.

VN1X

Banned
cant be more full of tropes,hot female resitance fighter,check,nazi on black coat,check ww2 view from the point of a 13 year old
Oh yeah the typical evil German accent was a bit cringy for sure.

Actually it seems very cartoony overall, not even so much in terms of the visuals but just the character stylings and narrative. It just so happens to take place during WWII I guess lol. Still, seems very decent for a VR title imo.

INC

Oh yeah the typical evil German accent was a bit cringy for sure.

Actually it seems very cartoony overall, not even so much in terms of the visuals but just the character stylings and narrative. It just so happens to take place during WWII I guess lol. Still, seems very decent for a VR title imo.

I'd rather they just spoke German tbh

But it does look more inglorious bustards than saving private ryan

Kev Kev

Yes and I almost vomited because of that ;)
VR is just not my thing.
almost everyone experiences that. some more than others of course. i love that falling feeling and it was even a little too intense for me. what you have to do is start slow, like a game that has no movement at all. then work your way up to the moving stuff.

vr is very much an "earn your sea legs" kind of thing. i thought people saying that was dumb at first, but you really can adjust over time. took me nearly a couple weeks before i could run around in skyrim without discomfort. but i wasnt playing a lot, only an hour or so at a time, because i took frequent breaks when i first started.

heres the thing. when you first put on a vr headset, your typically just looking at a screen or menu. and for me, the first time i saw a game load up in vr and i was actually inside of that VR world, i was amazed. and the game hadnt even started! i hadnt even made it into the main menu lol. i was so mesmerized by that first 5-10 seconds of being in a VR world that i was hooked. so the motion sickness was just an obstacle for me to get over. which i did, with time. so what im trying to say is, if you didnt have that desire to over come the obstacle of motion sickness, then you probably just arent that crazy about VR. and thats ok!

but the motion sickness absolutely is something that can be overcome for a lot of people (nearly everyone???). and they have come a long way in adding comfort setting for extra sensitive people. so a lot of people who tried VR 2 years ago may find that its much more comfortable now.

you should give it a try again one day. there are so many fun experiences. and once you get your vr legs, and you really start to groove with a game like skyrim, or no mans sky, you become completely immersed in that world, sometimes forgetting that you are even in the real world. its awesome.

holy shit i have to stop writing novella's on GAF in the morning. i didnt see but i hope this game is coming to PSVR

INC

almost everyone experiences that. some more than others of course. i love that falling feeling and it was even a little too intense for me. what you have to do is start slow, like a game that has no movement at all. then work your way up to the moving stuff.

vr is very much an "earn your sea legs" kind of thing. i thought people saying that was dumb at first, but you really can adjust over time. took me nearly a couple weeks before i could run around in skyrim without discomfort. but i wasnt playing a lot, only an hour or so at a time, because i took frequent breaks when i first started.

heres the thing. when you first put on a vr headset, your typically just looking at a screen or menu. and for me, the first time i saw a game load up in vr and i was actually inside of that VR world, i was amazed. and the game hadnt even started! i hadnt even made it into the main menu lol. i was so mesmerized by that first 5-10 seconds of being in a VR world that i was hooked. so the motion sickness was just an obstacle for me to get over. which i did, with time. so what im trying to say is, if you didnt have that desire to over come the obstacle of motion sickness, then you probably just arent that crazy about VR. and thats ok!

but the motion sickness absolutely is something that can be overcome for a lot of people (nearly everyone???). and they have come a long way in adding comfort setting for extra sensitive people. so a lot of people who tried VR 2 years ago may find that its much more comfortable now.

you should give it a try again one day. there are so many fun experiences. and once you get your vr legs, and you really start to groove with a game like skyrim, or no mans sky, you become completely immersed in that world, sometimes forgetting that you are even in the real world. its awesome.

holy shit i have to stop writing novella's on GAF in the morning. i didnt see but i hope this game is coming to PSVR

Pretty much this

Game selection is also key when trying VR, picking something like pavlov or wipeout straight away is gonna lead to vomit very quickly

Games like super hot are perfect for trying vr for the first time

But honestly you 100% get use to it, as I said before, at first after 10mins I was feeling sick, now I can play as long as I 2ant, and jump around or do whatever.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Oculus (actually Facebook) paid for this

Just like Asgard's Wrath and Stormland
They paid for the Vader trilogy and that went to other platforms eventually (as did other timed exclusives that also weren't announced as timed), noone knows how they handled this deal but I'd assume it's pretty unlikely EA gave them the whole rights forever and ever. Not that it'd be great on PS.

Last edited:
Well, it looks like a 10 year old game made for VR. But I think it just has to do with small budget.

not exactly due to budget

in VR you need to render 2 frames at the same time (1 for each eye) at a bare minimum of 60fps

pc folks may want to believe they're superior beings with a 3090 already pre-ordered for everyone, but reality is that most folks are playing on 1060 gtx. And believe me, you wouldn't believe how cheap VR folks tend to be...

Romulus

Half-Life Alyx looks like a generation ahead graphically though, despite being a VR game.

I would assume this game has more wide open spaces and vehicles. Also, another thing I noticed about VR is the visuals are not representative at all of the videos. Some games look good in videos and suck in VR, and vice versa. With normal gaming, you can get an almost exact representation on youtube outside of compression.

Last edited:

pr0cs

Half-Life Alyx looks like a generation ahead graphically though, despite being a VR game.
Alyx was also developed by the company that has the highest fidelity headset, they have the capital and vested interest to ensure the game looks great to Help sell the hardware.
What will really matter here will be the gameplay

Humdinger

I like the old Medal of Honor games, including their old-fashioned qualities, so I'm glad to see this game got made. Hopefully it will come to the PSVR at some point.

shaddam

I just finished MOHAA, Spearhead and Breaktrough a few days ago. I would jump in, but I dont have vr :(
Oh and here is Manon from MOHAA :messenger_grinning_sweat:

r6vALts.jpg

Coney

This had so much potential, and I really liked the idea of MoH VR, as it sets itself apart from the competition. It just looks so bland and dated, though. Disappointing.

INC

the thing that worries me the most is if you watch the video, you never really see more than 3 enemies on screen at a time, in all most all situation

doesnt scream WW to me

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
the thing that worries me the most is if you watch the video, you never really see more than 3 enemies on screen at a time, in all most all situation

doesnt scream WW to me
Story trailer, there are more in others. At least 6 in a couple scenes of the older video (and none of the scenes show the player progressing through a level anyway, just sitting in a spot and taking care of the enemies there, then switching scene instead of moving ahead or sticking around).

MOH didn't start out as the COD rip off it later became anyway, slower more methodical games with stealth and shit, now if they have some Omaha beach actual war scene with little action you'll have a point but other than that small scale encounters are in line with part of the series.

They say they have the original creator of the series on board or some shit so hopefully that means the game is more like the first two on the playstation in terms of mixing up the action with stealth and objectives instead of a shooting gallery of endless waves of enemies. We'll see :)

Those PS games were my first taste of an FPS that was more objective and stealth and realism oriented like the fabled Goldeneye instead of all the Doomlikes (though Powerslave/Exhumed is still the best FPS of that era to me, for being a Metroidvania Doomlike with awesome levels).

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion but I actually really liked this Medal of Honor campaign and multiplayer:
medalofhonor1.jpg

won’t be playing this as I don’t have VR but excited to see how it turns out as I am a big fan of respawn.

I consider this game my favorite military FPS ever made. (Campaign wise). It definitely goes in the Top 5 or 10 FPS games ever made along with CoD: World at War, CoD: Infinite Warfare and Far Cry 2 ( Which I consider the best FPS game ever made.)

What do you want WW2 to look like? These things actually happened you know. This trailer blows BFV out of the water. It's the first WW2 game with a campaign that actually looks good since I can remember.

Last edited:

Fbh

Looks pretty fun, I'd definitely try it out (if I had VR).
The tone is a bit weird though. During the gamescom event the dude talking at first made it sound like it would be a more grounded WW2 experience, but the game seems to have a less serious (almost cartoony) vibe than I expected.

Redlancet

Banned
What do you want WW2 to look like? These things actually happened you know. This trailer blows BFV out of the water. It's the first WW2 game with a campaign that actually looks good since I can remember.
are you serious? have u read any book or have un researched ww2 outside of gi joe and hollywood movies? this trailer is a joke,its war for 14 years old,with the same old tropes,ww2 wasnt a indiana jones movie,at least bfv tried with different scenarios

it boggles my mind that the devs are talking about being realistic and instead a samuel fulller big red one we got a michael bay movie

Last edited:
are you serious? have u read any book or have un researched ww2 outside of gi joe and hollywood movies? this trailer is a joke,its war for 14 years old,with the same old tropes,ww2 wasnt a indiana jones movie,at least bfv tried with different scenarios

it boggles my mind that the devs are talking about being realistic and instead a samuel fulller big red one we got a michael bay movie

Actually yes I study WW2 history quite often and have no problem with how this game looks.

Ok again, what did you expect it to look like? What ere you expecting? Hell Let Loose or Post Scriptum in VR? I mean I would absolutely love that. But that's not Medal of Honor.

You didn't answer my question. You want it to be about the Big Red One? CoD: WW2 already did that and like 4 out of the 13 campaign missions were actually good. When I hear them talking about it being realistic it sounds like they are saying that when you put on the VR headset you are actually going to feel the scale of the environments and vehicles and actually feel like you are physically there inside the world.

This game looks like it has about the same amount of goofiness as Medal of Honor: Airborne.

And BFV didn't actually try at all. The same historical that's in this trailer was in BFV. The raid on the water treatment plant in Norway. Except in BFV they replaced the men that completed that mission with a teenage girl and her mother. What a joke.

Redlancet

Banned
Actually yes I study WW2 history quite often and have no problem with how this game looks.

Ok again, what did you expect it to look like? What ere you expecting? Hell Let Loose or Post Scriptum in VR? I mean I would absolutely love that. But that's not Medal of Honor.

You didn't answer my question. You want it to be about the Big Red One? CoD: WW2 already did that and like 4 out of the 13 campaign missions were actually good. When I hear them talking about it being realistic it sounds like they are saying that when you put on the VR headset you are actually going to feel the scale of the environments and vehicles and actually feel like you are physically there inside the world.

This game looks like it has about the same amount of goofiness as Medal of Honor: Airborne.

And BFV didn't actually try at all. The same historical that's in this trailer was in BFV. The raid on the water treatment plant in Norway. Except in BFV they replaced the men that completed that mission with a teenage girl and her mother. What a joke.
Ok, im a ww2 nut, i haved the luck to Interview a lot of folks who served on the battle of britain, english, germans, polish, etc. What i wanted? Less childish tropes, more stalingrad or the Pacific, more grittines, i dont want let hell loose, but also i dont want indiana jones, they talk a lot of realism and ambientatiom, and this is metal of honor circa 2001, we leave that a long time ago, at least bfv tried with the panzer or french black troops

Top Bottom