• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Andromeda writer Samantha Wallschlaeger hired as new lead writer for Bloodlines 2

DCDW

I pre-ordered Bloodlines 2 immediately after it was announced.

The original is still one of my favorite games of all time.

I kept my pre-order even when that feminazi Cara Ellison joined the team. I refused to cancel it even when the whole wokeness/forced diversity bullshit took off. I kept it even after the first gameplay presentation when the game looked janky as fuck.

I was still rooting for the game EVEN after Mitsoda and Avellone got fired for no good reason.

This was the final straw. Fuck this game and everyone involved.
Damn, I'm in the same boat. Was really holding out even with all the news about it coming recently, but this is enough. Also, 1st time dealing with Epic Games Store and refunds, so I guess I'll see how that goes.

Kamina

Golden Boy
If you can't rein in your insults, maybe stay off twitter, Samantha - this aged well and not adversarial at all:

uqkiz2I.jpg

Game dev needs a thick skin, not reactionary backlash that makes you look even worse.
My face is tired

How can anyone think that its a good idea to have someone who posts stuff like this as narrative lead?

uqkiz2I.jpg

Hey Hardsuit and Paradox, how about we have a chat with your investors about your intentions on this project and their expected returns... You want to shit on the gaming community and burn the bank's cash in your tired statement?

Probably obvious, but a good move - the money aspect is probably the only thing Tencent cares about. (Except for owning all company companies.)

Not sure if there's other investors beyond them, though (I wouldn't know how to check).

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing wrong with a lady having a bit of fire to her. :giggle:

And that's why so many of us enjoy Kayleigh McEnany. The thing though is that she is intelligent and absolutely spits fire with 100% truth-bombs. She comes prepared and tears the media a new one. On the other hand here we have a grifter who simply insults anyone who doesn't like a grifter destroying someone's reputation and stealing his job. Do you see the difference or would you like me to draw you a picture?

GymWolf

In Avellone's case, actual cancel culture, Samantha Wallcharger did accuse him of talking to her in an elevator (!), then replace him (though in a lead role). That's pretty vile.

Mitsoda was only betrayed by his managers, lucky him.

To Ellison's credit, it sounds like she didn't like the game post-Mitsoda and bailed, but who knows.

If the story is "finished," I honestly don't know why they have so many writers now (there's at least 3). It's not like they'll still be a studio after this.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

To Chris Avellone and the other person who were pressured off the project by the sjw. You have grounds now for a lawsuit: Tortious interference, also known as intentional interference with contractual relations, in the common law of torts, occurs when one person intentionally damages someone else's contractual or business relationships with a third party causing economic harm.

To Chris Avellone and the other person who were pressured off the project by the sjw. You have grounds now for a lawsuit: Tortious interference, also known as intentional interference with contractual relations, in the common law of torts, occurs when one person intentionally damages someone else's contractual or business relationships with a third party causing economic harm.

He should definitely lawyer up (and so should Mitsoda, for other reasons).

Based on Paradox forums, they are also hiring a Lead Designer for the game. Now, of all times.

No idea what idiot/fool was the Lead Designer previously, but man, that's a lot of senior management slots that are empty/switched/fired/"desperately needed".

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
By the way, the allegations of Avellone have yet to be provided with proof. But it's good news that she isn't involved in Mass Effect anymore. Maybe without her and with Casey Hudson at the helm again, it might be possible that the next Mass Effect will actually be decent. Don't have high hopes for Bloodlines 2 but I'll be positively surprised if it turns out to be awesome. But I highly doubt that it will reach the same heights as the original Bloodlines. The Haunted Hotel is one of my favorite video game zones/levels.
He already appologized, which means that he admited that alegations are true. He should have just kept quiet.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
He didn't.

He apologized to his ex-girlfriend for a bad relationship.
He NEVER apologized for any accusations of actual sexual misconduct.
But it was in exactly same time as the #meToo starts rolling shit this year, pretty weird...

Teslerum

But it was in exactly same time as the #meToo starts rolling shit this year, pretty weird...

What?

:messenger_expressionless:

Of course. It happened during the twitter accusations. With crazy bitch bringing up his bad relationship with his ex to paint him as a bad person (though honestly neither party came out that great imo). Chris apologized to that (being a bad boyfriend nearly a decade ago). End of.

Of course anyone who already has made their mind up about him jumped on that to mean that he apologized in regards to the accusations which is just not true. Accusations that are baseless as David Cernat David Cernat has proven.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
uqkiz2I.jpg

Hey Hardsuit and Paradox, how about we have a chat with your investors about your intentions on this project and their expected returns... You want to shit on the gaming community and burn the bank's cash in your tired statement?
If that isn't shitting on your fan base I don't know what it is.
Hopefully we can still have the original script on a different game.

Any chance you could copy paste it? Its forcing me to make an account just to look

Here you go, excuse the formatting. Place sounds pretty terrible, overall.

"Generally good people, awful ideas, disruptive elements"
(1 Star)
Former Employee - Programmer in Seattle, WA
Doesn't Recommend
Negative Outlook
No opinion of CEO
I worked at Hardsuit Labs full-time for less than a year

Pros
Most of the people are likeable.

A decent place to start your work in, helpful but overworked co-workers.

The premises are nice and open.

Paradox ensures the company won't go under until the big-name title is completed.

Cons
The company likely won't survive long after they push out their larger products. They know this and try to compensate by having multiple projects on the side. Pay is low.

Most likeable co-workers leave the job after being burnt out by what lies below.

Absurd amounts of turnover. It's more rare to have a weekly report without at least 1 person leaving than it is to have one with no one leaving. I must stress that i've never seen something like this.

The management are clueless, and cannot organize a team.

Some managers are slack-jawed and only seem interested in their social media feed.

Constant bad advice and "no, do it this bad way" over-the-shoulder pestering.

Constant forced crunch time. Doing 9-11 hour days without counting in commute on a static monthly pay with no additional benefits is not fun, especially in this environment.

Zero chance to focus on your work with busybodies trying to micromanage every line of code Zero chance to focus on your work with other busybodies trying to always go on about their perceived differences.

The self-identified "LGBT" people are often nagging at innocent jokes and interrupting co-worker work-related conversations because they feel like they need to inject themselves and their opinion to it. This leads to a divided workplace which the management is unwilling to handle.

Constant murmur by management on how they're so "open", "accepting" and "diverse".

Constant undertones in all speech by management about progressive ideas and ideals even when it comes to completely neutral subjects like programming and gameplay design.

All additions and suggestions are primarily weighted against the former factors instead of whether or not it would fit the series or be conducive to good gameplay.

Obviously false glowing 5-star reviews on Glassdoor.

Advice to Management
Manage your workforce as a group instead of sitting behind a programmer's shoulder and trying to interject dumb ideas. The design and art people mention that this is common there too.

During work hours, control the people who are disruptive or tell them to act even remotely professionally. It's fine to have an open enviroment and expressive freedoms, but when certain people are disruptive to work and constant annoyance to co-workers, they should be dealt with.

Have not dealt with the CEOs so cannot say much about them.

Last edited:

(1 Star)
Doesn't Recommend
Negative Outlook
No opinion of CEO

Pros

Paradox ensures the company won't go under until the big-name title is completed.

Cons
The company likely won't survive long after they push out their larger products. They know this and try to compensate by having multiple projects on the side. Pay is low.

Most likeable co-workers leave the job after being burnt out by what lies below.

Absurd amounts of turnover. It's more rare to have a weekly report without at least 1 person leaving than it is to have one with no one leaving. I must stress that i've never seen something like this.

Some managers are slack-jawed and only seem interested in their social media feed.

Constant forced crunch time. Doing 9-11 hour days without counting in commute on a static monthly pay with no additional benefits is not fun, especially in this environment.

Zero chance to focus on your work with busybodies trying to micromanage every line of code Zero chance to focus on your work with other busybodies trying to always go on about their perceived differences.

The self-identified "LGBT" people are often nagging at innocent jokes and interrupting co-worker work-related conversations because they feel like they need to inject themselves and their opinion to it. This leads to a divided workplace which the management is unwilling to handle.

Constant murmur by management on how they're so "open", "accepting" and "diverse".

Constant undertones in all speech by management about progressive ideas and ideals even when it comes to completely neutral subjects like programming and gameplay design.

All additions and suggestions are primarily weighted against the former factors instead of whether or not it would fit the series or be conducive to good gameplay.

Advice to Management
Manage your workforce as a group instead of sitting behind a programmer's shoulder and trying to interject dumb ideas. The design and art people mention that this is common there too.

During work hours, control the people who are disruptive or tell them to act even remotely professionally. It's fine to have an open enviroment and expressive freedoms, but when certain people are disruptive to work and constant annoyance to co-workers, they should be dealt with.

Hoooly shit! Part of me wants to believe this is fake from some manchild angry about the personnel changes, but after all that's happened it is very believable...

And so very sad

Hoooly shit! Part of me wants to believe this is fake from some manchild angry about the personnel changes, but after all that's happened it is very believable...

And so very sad

Generic shitposting reviews I don't usually give much credit to, but when it gets more detailed, I least pay attention to the details and see if it's echoed in other recent reviews.

Also, if the person has been there less than a year, that's hardly a good sign (if they were fired, that is - if they quit, that's worse).

Hardsuit does seem to have a high turnover, and employees don't seem to stay there long (which is echoed in other reviews).

I noticed Hardsuit also seems to be forcing a generic 5 star positive review at the top of the page that's out of sequence with the rest of the chronology of reviews. :/

I glanced at the other 5 star reviews, and I agree a number seem fake, one even reads like a "About Us, Please Apply" posting.

Faithless83

Banned

(1 Star)
Doesn't Recommend
Negative Outlook
No opinion of CEO

Pros

Cons

Advice to Management

Based on "You'll never enjoy games again and that makes me happy" and the way they showed the original writer the door "out of nowhere", does this really sound fake?

People like this are a cancer to the industry and the reason I try my best to buy Japanese games at full price and avoid games like this. This hateful behavior is not the answer and makes me avoid the so called "inclusive" media in general.

Afterall, This image screams inclusive AS FUCK, right?.

uqkiz2I.jpg

He didn't.

He apologized to his ex-girlfriend for a bad relationship.
He NEVER apologized for any accusations of actual sexual misconduct.

Pretty much this. The idiot shouldn't have apologized for that break up anyway, relationships go bad all the time - and it's even funnier that the accuser SET HIM UP with her friend in the first place. Guess she had a much different view of him once, wonder what happened? /RollsEyes

The way the accusers immediately twisted the apology about the break-up into "guilt" was just how these Twitter mobs operate - all it teaches is never apologize, get a lawyer, or else this shit will keep happening.

Ivory Blood

(1 Star)
Doesn't Recommend
Negative Outlook
No opinion of CEO

Pros

Cons

Advice to Management

This is fucked up, I wouldn't want to work in such an environment either. Also anyone who tells that SJWs have no effect on the industry is clueless or lying.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
How do SJWs manage to infiltrate everything?
Political leaning is directly associated with personality (Based on “Big 5”) — creative people (those high in trait openness, low in conscientiousness) are overwhelmingly liberal. That’s one of the reasons why Hollywood is so disgustingly SJW; reflexive empathy without any granular understanding of reality.

Aesius

Political leaning is directly associated with personality (Based on “Big 5”) — creative people (those high in trait openness, low in conscientiousness) are overwhelmingly liberal. That’s one of the reasons why Hollywood is so disgustingly SJW; reflexive empathy without any granular understanding of reality.

Interesting. You don't see it among Japanese devs much, though. I think it's also heavily cultural.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Interesting. You don't see it among Japanese devs much, though. I think it's also heavily cultural.
Very true, and it is. You don't have to be a disgusting SJW if you associate with the "left of center" side of the political spectrum; but since the left is unchecked in it's extremism and inarguably supported and unchallenged by popular media, the extremism is seen as morally virtuous.

But anyway yeah, I love the fact that you can still see beautiful, feminine women in Japanese games; they haven't let political correctness ruin them like a lot of the US/UK have.

Another Hardsuit lab review I found (bold isn't mine)

=====================================================================================

I worked at Hardsuit Labs full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Appreciated the opportunity to work at Hardsuit and now, appreciate the contrast

Paradox can’t let studio fail yet, so there is some job security unless they don’t like you but they won’t tell you until too late

Devs are pretty cool if they stick around and/or aren’t fired but turnover is high regardless

“They try” and “they mean well” is the best thing to say about studio management usually followed by “but…”

Thankful for new opportunity in Seattle, even if in remote section

Cons

Pay is much lower than other Seattle studios

Studio is also cheap with reviews and raises

While “they try”, studio management and production fails more than they should

Managers are hit or miss – some non-existent, rest micromanage or do not task well

No producer mentorship

Managers are cast-offs from failed positions at other companies or failed companies

Studio listens and promotes contractors more than internal team (until they fire them), pay contractors more, too

Lot of wasted work

Post questionable reviews to inflate their image (check out the glowing HR-written 5 stars below, already reported)

Contracts don’t seem set up well and hurt company because company agreed to something unrealistic

Shift with parent company has caused increasing problems

Parent company “sort of owning us” is a problem because they aren’t fully motivated to help vs. having just enough leverage to force change

Sudden shifts in personnel that make no sense and could be corrected

The we do a “careful selection of applicants” claim isn’t true – often they have difficulty getting applicants because there’s much better opportunities in the area (more pay, more benefits, larger support structure)

Strange art turnover, worse, art department isn’t trusted

Gameplay design (or lack thereof) is enough to give headaches that last a year (or the whole dev cycle). Game designers are pretty closed off and don’t take critiques well

Left hand doesn’t know what right hand is doing. Or the left hand either.

Strangely, contract workers paid much more than full-time and trusted more to be face of product with disastrous results when trust is revoked suddenly

Management says they mean well, and at times, seem sincere…

…until they don’t and do the exact opposite of whatever platitude they’re championing today (below)

Management promotes saving money on one hand while setting fire to it with the other

Growing pains seem to have lasted a while, still going, never seem to end

Problem with fixing culture while trying to grow starting to create bigger problems, growing too fast and losing people as a result

Enter into projects and IPs they know very little about, but don’t make the effort to really learn or care

Drawing eye of execs is enough to guarantee any task will take twice as long as you overexplain everything you’re doing and hope they understand and remember the answer

Writing "deptartment" are stubborn and unwilling to make changes or listen to feedback, seem to take stubborn direction and stance from former writing experiences at studio

High level execs randomly fill in for other producers - unfortunately, makes it hard to do job well

Meetings are like weird let’s read the thing that was sent out and could have read then but now we’ll have a meeting where we’ll read it and everyone else wants to scream because everyone has other work they need to do to finish. the. game.

Studio problem with micromanaging – you have to Justify every single decision to the point you wonder why they even hired you.

Advice to Management

Don’t get HR shills to write reviews on Glassdoor, it makes others in studio motivated to write their own that are far more honest

Execs need consistent behavior - some too hands on and unhelpful, others act like can't ever be bothered and are unhelpful

Figure out why people leave and then ask yourself why they are leaving, and if necessary, why you hired them in the first place

Work on products you understand - because explaining how an RPG works to those who never worked on one but insist on approving and judging each piece of content wastes a lot of time

Don’t work on IPs and genres if you’re not going to hire for them

Stop embarrassing yourself in Paradox milestone meetings because you all sound like idiots who have no idea what’s going on and inspires no trust from publisher

Top Bottom