• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe T.

Of course you can. You make the necessary distinction in your very post.

1.) What scientists, statisticians and medical professionals have reason to believe regarding particular claims in their field(s)
2.) What the media and governments conclude based on 1.)

Conclusions about 1.) are independent of conclusions about 2.) Does a scientist studying how a virus propagates need to know how the media will report on his research before he can reach any conclusions?
Does a statistician modelling the reproductive rate of the virus need to know how the government will use his work before he is able to determine what that rate is? Does a doctor need to know what the latest headlines are in the newspaper, before he can treat his patients?

No, because we start with science to discover facts about the world. And the media and governments can use (or mis-use) those facts in various ways, but it doesn't change the nature of those facts. Whether PCR testing can be used to detect the spread of the virus is a question of fact. And this fact doesn't depend on who is in government or what is broadcast on CNN or whether lockdowns are justified. That is why not only is there nothing wrong with keeping these issues separate, but it makes perfect sense to. This is something you yourself seem to recognise, when you indicate that science and the media should be considered separate spheres.

Let me be as blunt as I can: are you okay with the government response, generally speaking, to those test results?

We're going in circles because we disagree on the fundamental issue: labs/doctors/scientists do indeed have a responsibility to correct the record if/when they see media and government misusing the information they provide. Important facts are being buried or ignored completely. Censorship has made it quite difficult to correct the record or add proper context in case you haven't noticed. What do you think that's all about?

We're not talking about simple differences of opinion that we can choose to accept or ignore here, we're being forced to live with the repercussions and they're quite extreme in some cases. This isn't a scientific study about the value of eggs to your daily diet.

You're singularly focused on how to thoroughly track the spread of the virus and I'm telling you that's a completely separate issue from the manner in which we're reacting to the oversimplified numbers being reported. We're unnecessarily crushing economies, negatively impacting the education of our youth and, ironically, sacrificing hundreds of thousands of lives in our attempt to protect public health.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Is that front zipper for a pocket or access? I mean, what if you have to scratch your fucking face or head? Lol

I'm getting one. Can't wait to see people's reactions while I'm grocery shopping like everything's perfectly normal.

Edit: nevermind, watched it again and saw the gloves. Was laughing the first time and missed it

Last edited:

FireFly

Let me be as blunt as I can: are you okay with the government response, generally speaking, to those test results?

We're going in circles because we disagree on the fundamental issue: labs/doctors/scientists do indeed have a responsibility to correct the record if/when they see media and government misusing the information they provide. Important facts are being buried or ignored completely. Censorship has made it quite difficult to correct the record or add proper context in case you haven't noticed. What do you think that's all about?

We're not talking about simple differences of opinion that we can choose to accept or ignore here, we're being forced to live with the repercussions and they're quite extreme in some cases. This isn't a scientific study about the value of eggs to your daily diet.

You're singularly focused on how to thoroughly track the spread of the virus and I'm telling you that's a completely separate issue from the manner in which we're reacting to the oversimplified numbers being reported. We're unnecessarily crushing economies, negatively impacting the education of our youth and, ironically, sacrificing hundreds of thousands of lives in our attempt to protect public health.
No, we're going round in circles because the issue you're interested is addressing in different to the issue I'm interested in addressing. You seem to want to me to talk about the media and how they have abdicated their responsibility and how the governments have abdicated their responsibility. And I am interested in the actual threat posed by the virus as a scientific question, and the actual tools we have to control it, as a scientific question. And I objected to the seeming assertion that from a scientific perspective PCR tests are the wrong tool to track the virus, because I felt this was founded on a misunderstanding of how the tests actually work, based on a NYT article that was misinterpreted to claim that detecting a "dead" virus as an infection is a false positive.

And I think frankly I should be able to make that correction (or be corrected myself, if I am mistaken), without getting into a long drawn out discussion about the coronavirus strategy of world governments and the role of the media. And one of the reasons I think it is important to keep the issues separate is to avoid letting our opinions about the lockdowns or the media feed back into factual questions about how the virus is spreading. If you think your government or the media is overexaggerating the threat of the coronavirus as a tool to control you, it is only natural to look back into the statistics and "find" discrepancies that support your opinion.

Because if you want my actual opinion, I think the true threat the virus poses is unknown. We don't know the true hospitalisation or death rates, because that depends on knowing the incidence of the virus in the population, which we can only imperfectly estimate. Neither do we know the extent of the natural population immunity if any exists. Neither do we know the extent to which differences in the rate at which the virus spreads in different populations are due to technological differences, or biological differences or cultural differences. So it comes down to a question of choice under uncertainty, which is never clean or easy.

I find it funny that people bring up Sweden as an example of how it's ok to let the virus spread, when that was the opposite of their policy, which was rather to give individuals personal responsibility for preventing the spread of the virus. So we don't know to what extent infection rates have been kept down there because of existing population immunity, population immunity resulting from the first round of spread, or successful implementation of voluntary social distancing. The lesson from Sweden may well be that social distancing can contain the virus in the right cultural conditions. (And maybe those conditions are missing right now in the rest of Europe).

So I would say that any person who just knows what the correct policy is, doesn't appreciate their, and our, lack of collective knowledge.

Last edited:

sinnergy

F FireFly you still going on with this lot? They are and will remain denialers , blaming everyone except the virus. The US will have 100k + a day and 1000 deaths all winter in the end they will match Spanish Flu numbers , around 600k deaths is not far stretched ... and these would still not care ... so they are doing pretty bad if you have numbers that happened 100 years ago 🤡, and not use knowledge, put your efforts elsewhere . Your voice is not heard here ...

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
We will all be at it by December, according to Scotland’s very own Grinch. Jason Leitch, national clinical director, declared: “People should get their digital Christmas ready.”

diffusionx

Gold Member
We will all be at it by December, according to Scotland’s very own Grinch. Jason Leitch, national clinical director, declared: “People should get their digital Christmas ready.”

It is interesting to think how eager these people are to destroy the traditional bonds that hold us together, while also celebrating division and chaos.

diffusionx

Gold Member
And now the Polish president is tested positive. What is it with populists who downplay a disease and then get it ? Surely a mystery for the ages.

I know right? If only he locked himself indoors until the end of time, he might not get a cough and fever he will get over in a week. It is much better to be scared and isolated for months and years than get sick and feel better a week later. Indeed, in all of human history, people almost never recover from things like fevers and coughs.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoyed this debate.

Definitely agreed with the argument presented in favor of no more lockdowns.

Joe T.

I saw someone on FB mention this about the flu and the NPC take is that flu must be down because of all our hard work with masks and distancing which we've never done before.

I always question social media accounts because there are millions of them created specifically to influence and manipulate the masses. Unfortunately, it's working quite well. Our best tool for information gathering and dissemination has been turned against us with the tightening control from the top, we've seen this happen with all the censorship regarding pandemic messaging. Americans are now self-censoring themselves like the Chinese.

We're living in dangerous times, most people have been fooled into thinking this virus is some brand new danger that risks killing 10-20x or more the actual numbers despite the World Health Organizations basically saying the infection fatality rate is comparable to the flu. Factor in how the flu has "practically disappeared" in the southern hemisphere this year and deductive reasoning will tell any rational adult just how badly we've overreacted.

Tell_men

You sound like Sinnergy. Winter's still a couple of months away, unless you're parroting the liberal talking point (and self-fulfilling prophecy) about "the darkest winter of modern history."

There's no need to use memes or comical Youtube videos when the facts alone will deliver the same message:

Even Trump during his town hall indirectly admitted he messed up and people should be wearing masks. Anyway the damage is done. But hey, if you don’t want to hear the truth, feel free to take risks with your life and everyone listening to you. Kinda selfish, but you do you. I do wonder how many more Trump supporters would be around to vote for Trump if he had just told them from the beginning to wear a mask and socially distance. How many more would be willing to support him if he had not lied about covid.

34 states are showing dramatically increased covid numbers. Some states are preparing refrigeration units to store bodies. But don’t listen to reason. Keep listening to your bias confirmation/fake news “Jennifer” sources that say masks don’t work, that they got the goods on Hunter, that prominent Democrats are going to jail, and all that other crazy bs in order to justify one man, Trump.

Joe T.

Even Trump during his town hall indirectly admitted he messed up and people should be wearing masks. Anyway the damage is done. But hey, if you don’t want to hear the truth, feel free to take risks with your life and everyone listening to you. Kinda selfish, but you do you. I do wonder how many more Trump supporters would be around to vote for Trump if he had just told them from the beginning to wear a mask and socially distance. How many more would be willing to support him if he had not lied about covid.

34 states are showing dramatically increased covid numbers. Some states are preparing refrigeration units to store bodies. But don’t listen to reason. Keep listening to your bias confirmation/fake news “Jennifer” sources that say masks don’t work, that they got the goods on Hunter, that prominent Democrats are going to jail, and all that other crazy bs in order to justify one man, Trump.

I'm Canadian. How does Trump have anything to do with the value of masks as a mitigation measure in France?

What's the truth about masks you think I'm ignoring? The evidence of their impact on the spread is clear as day to see, both in the northern and southern hemispheres. I'm not ignoring that data, but it sounds to me like you are. Do you believe the spread would be much worse without them? A look at Sweden quickly disproves that.

This entire pandemic is built on fear. Substantiating the fear requires obfuscating the facts, like saying positive test results = live virus/infectious cases. The vast majority of positive test results are asymptomatic. Asymptomatic = healthy. Report it that way and the sensationalist media coverage dies, the pandemic along with it.

prag16

Banned

You are a stupid sheep; there's just no way to sugar coat it. Sorry. Wish you well.

Last edited:

Tell_men

You are a stupid sheep; there's just no way to sugar coat it. Sorry. Wish you well.

Nah, my Democrat ran county has been able to significantly reduce covid cases and is now almost fully opened up for following the rules while Republican led counties with half our population are not only having higher death counts than us, but also are now having to shut down.

I love every one of you guys, that’s why I give these warnings, but you have to love yourself, family, and your neighbors. From a person that barely survived covid when it hit me back in March, you’re playing with fire.

Someone I had a brief interaction, with brought me some food, called and told me she and her family are quarantined

If I havto get tested for a 3rd time ugh.
I had a check up recently though I am fine so far been 14 days since I saw her. My local hospital is prepping for wave 2 by moving my care team from the 4th floor to the 6th
they did this move early in the year because the 4th floor is a special floor for critical terminal care.

fuck CCP!

Tell_men

Someone I had a brief interaction, with brought me some food, called and told me she and her family are quarantined

If I havto get tested for a 3rd time ugh.
I had a check up recently though I am fine so far been 14 days since I saw her. My local hospital is prepping for wave 2 by moving my care team from the 4th floor to the 6th
they did this move early in the year because the 4th floor is a special floor for critical terminal care.

fuck CCP!

Hoping the best for you and everyone around you. Stay safe.

Joe T.

Thanks, hope everyone in here is still keeping safe too much bullshit out here

source.gif

U9Z7kRB.jpg

prag16

Banned
Nah, my Democrat ran county has been able to significantly reduce covid cases and is now almost fully opened up for following the rules while Republican led counties with half our population are not only having higher death counts than us, but also are now having to shut down.
Sounds like tales from your ass. Between you and sinnergy and now Smiles and Cries' triumphant return it's like, what month is it? Still April apparently? In the post right above me we have cancer surging due to COVID-hysteria-induced negligence, but that's totally fine, right? This is only one small aspect of the collateral damage we're seeing and will see as a result of you lockdown whores.

source.gif

U9Z7kRB.jpg

funny you posted that because at my hospital the 4th Floor that normally is the Cancer and Sickle Cell floor the being moved to the 6th floor so the next wave of COVID19 can use the 4th

So I am not saying it is bullshit, but the move is bullshit to me. SMH

Tell_men

Sounds like tales from your ass. Between you and sinnergy and now Smiles and Cries' triumphant return it's like, what month is it? Still April apparently? In the post right above me we have cancer surging due to COVID-hysteria-induced negligence, but that's totally fine, right? This is only one small aspect of the collateral damage we're seeing and will see as a result of you lockdown whores.

I’m going to pray for everyones safety. 5 in Pence’s staff and 2 in Kelly Loefflers staff have now tested positive. I don’t wish this on anyone. It is absolute hell. I wish they had taken better precautions.

prag16

Banned
I’m going to pray for everyones safety. 5 in Pence’s staff and 2 in Kelly Loefflers staff have now tested positive. I don’t wish this on anyone. It is absolute hell. I wish they had taken better precautions.
Absolute hell to the point that most people who are "positive" never even show any symptoms. Sucks that some people including you had it bad, and I'm glad that you recovered. But anecdotes like that, I give no fucks about when it comes to considering wide ranging policy decisions made by governments which very likely are doing more harm than good.

A lot of those Montreal places 'closed permanently' were only a few years old. I'm pretty sure that in a few years, when vaccines or herd immunity have dealt with covid to a point where it's no longer a major thing there will be restaurants operating in the locations now 'permanently' closed. The only true permanent effect of the pandemic is death or disabilities medical science cannot currently remedy.

Restaurants open and close all the time, pandemics or not. If restaurants are eternal and unchanging except for pandemics and government meddling then how did all these places open in 2016 or 2017 ?

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of those Montreal places 'closed permanently' were only a few years old. I'm pretty sure that in a few years, when vaccines or herd immunity have dealt with covid to a point where it's no longer a major thing there will be restaurants operating in the locations now 'permanently' closed. The only true permanent effect of the pandemic is death or disabilities medical science cannot currently remedy.

Restaurants open and close all the time, pandemics or not. If restaurants are eternal and unchanging except for pandemics and government meddling then how did all these places open in 2016 or 2017 ?

You seem somewhat lacking in empathy. Those restaurants employ people who need to pay their rent, and were created by people who dreamed of running a successful restaurant and put enormous amounts of blood, sweat and tears into making their dreams come true. Some might commit suicide, many won’t be able to afford medical insurance, and many won’t now have the money to do important things to help their kids do better at school, and to fund college.

Are these things unimportant?

Joe T.

If restaurants are eternal and unchanging except for pandemics and government meddling then how did all these places open in 2016 or 2017 ?

scarehead.jpg

That was an article chosen at random simply to highlight what I personally find to be BS: the unnecessary toll this is taking on the economy, our health and life as we knew it. Maybe I should just pull up all the videos of dancing nurses to remind everyone of what was happening when they missed out on their cancer screenings?

The IFR is similar to the flu (maybe even much lower given testing numbers to positive result ratio) an admission made by the almighty WHO. The flu practically disappeared in the southern hemisphere. The CDC apparently isn't even tracking it anymore, so you know where this is going. Hospitalizations always rise in the fall and winter before declining in the spring and summer. Such is life, yet this year we're acting like it's all because of the CCP virus.

Positive tests are not cases, yet they're treated as such. Testing capacity has seen significant increases over the year, yet we're acting like "new records" of "positive cases" are supposed to be worrying. China is praised for their handling of the virus while not reporting asymptomatic cases, yet we're all doing it because...?

The contradictions, inconsistencies, deception and conspicuous lack of curiosity during one of the biggest stories of our lives is unreal. Anyone handwaving it all away automatically raises my suspicion.

The peddlers of this pandemic and all the fearmongering associated with it have burned their credibility to the ground.

Chaplain

"Freddie Sayers caught up with Scott Atlas, a healthcare policy academic from the Hoover Institute at Stanford, who has become the latest lightning rod for the controversy around Covid-19 policy and his support for a more targeted response. Speaking from inside the White House, where he is now Senior advisor to the President and a member of the Coronavirus task force, he does not hold back. He tells us that he is disgusted and dismayed at the media and public policy establishment, sad that it has come to this, cynical about their intentions, and angry that lockdown policies have been allowed to go on so long." (10/20/20)

KEY QUOTES

Why him?
I’m a healthcare policy person — I have a background in medical science, but my role really is to translate medical science into public policy. That’s very different from being an epidemiologist or a virologist with a single, limited view on things.

Dr Fauci
He’s just one person on the task force — there are several people on the task force. His background is virology, immunology and infectious disease. It’s a very different background, it’s a more limited approach, and I don’t speak for him.

Herd immunity policy?
No. It’s a repeated distortion, lie, or whatever you want to call it… What they mean by ‘herd immunity strategy’ is survival of the fittest, let the infection spread through the community and develop a population immunity. That’s never been the policy that I have advised. It’s never even been discussed inside the White House, not even for a single minute. And that’s never been the policy of the President of the United States or anybody else here. I’ve said that many many times… and yet it persists like so many other things, hence the term that the President is fond of using called fake news.

On herd immunity
Population immunity is a biological phenomenon that occurs. It’s sort of like if you’re building something in your basement: it’s down on the ground because gravity puts it there. It’s not a ‘strategy’ to say that herd immunity exists — it is obtained when a certain percentage of the population becomes resistant or immune to an infection, whether that is by getting infected or getting a vaccine or by a combination of both. In fact, if you don’t that believe herd immunity exists as a way to block the pathways to the vulnerable in an infection, then you would never advocate or believe in giving widespread vaccination — that’s the whole point of it… I’ve explained it to people who seemingly didn’t understand it; I’ve mentioned this radioactive word called herd immunity. But that’s not a strategy that anyone is pursuing.

What is his policy?
My advice is exactly this. It’s a three-pronged strategy. Number one: aggressive protection of high-risk individuals and the vulnerable (typically the elderly and those with co-morbidities). Number two: allocate resources so that we prevent hospital overcrowding so that people can be treated for this virus and get the other serious medical care that is needed. Number three: open schools, society and businesses because keeping them closed is enormously harmful — in fact it kills people.

Effect of lockdowns
We must open up because we’re killing people. In the US, 46% of the six most common cancers were not diagnosed during the shutdown… These are people who will present to the hospital or their doctor with later-stage disease — many of these people will die. 650,000 Americans are on chemotherapy — half of them didn’t come in for their chemo because they were afraid. Two-thirds of screenings for cancer were not done; half of childhood immunizations did not get done; 85% of living organ transplants did not get done. And then we see the other harms: 200,000 cases plus of child abuse in the US during the two months of spring school closures were not reported because schools are the number one agency where abuse is noticed; we have one out of four American young adults, college-age, who thought of killing themselves in the month of June…

All of these harms are massive for the working class and the lower socioeconomic groups. The people who are upper class, who can work from home, the people who can sip their latte and complain that their children are underfoot or that they have to come up with extra money to hire a tutor privately — these are people who are not impacted by the lockdowns.

diffusionx

Gold Member

This is the latest insanity from California. The governor of the country's largest state now feels it is his business to micromanage Thanksgiving gatherings. The rules include: outdoors only, no more than 3 households, only 2 hours, no singing, masks on at all times except to quickly scarf down food, 6 feet of separation at all times.

This is what "big government" looks like. Maybe now some lefties can start to figure out why people fear and opposite it.

RIOTS GOOD
JOE BIDEN GOOD
BURNING DOWN AUTOZONE GOOD
FAMILY BAD
THANKSGIVING BAD

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more

This is the latest insanity from California. The governor of the country's largest state now feels it is his business to micromanage Thanksgiving gatherings. The rules include: outdoors only, no more than 3 households, only 2 hours, no singing, masks on at all times except to quickly scarf down food, 6 feet of separation at all times.

This is what "big government" looks like. Maybe now some lefties can start to figure out why people fear and opposite it.

RIOTS GOOD
JOE BIDEN GOOD
BURNING DOWN AUTOZONE GOOD
FAMILY BAD
THANKSGIVING BAD

Sounds horrible. I’d rather not have some weirdo micromanaging how I eat dinner with my family. People need to band together and tell our “leaders” to go fuck themselves. You know most of them aren’t even going to follow these rules.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Sounds horrible. I’d rather not have some weirdo micromanaging how I eat dinner with my family. People need to band together and tell our “leaders” to go fuck themselves. You know most of them aren’t even going to follow these rules.

If Joe Biden gets elected, he is going to fully empower Fauci to run Gates' evil plans all the way, which enables psychos like Newsom and Cuomo and we are going to be getting a lot more of this.

The point of these things seems more to break us down psychologically than anything else, this entire year has been some sick MKULTRA type mind control experiment.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
If Joe Biden gets elected, he is going to fully empower Fauci to run Gates' evil plans all the way, which enables psychos like Newsom and Cuomo and we are going to be getting a lot more of this.

The point of these things seems more to break us down psychologically than anything else, this entire year has been some sick MKULTRA type mind control experiment.

With them saying the vaccine won’t be rolled out to enough people until Summer I’m guessing we will continue to see more of this dumb shit until then. If Biden wins some doctor with no concerns for the economy will tell him to lock things down again and he will probably comply.

diffusionx

Gold Member
BTW if anyone didn't believe what I wrote about Thanksgiving because it was so absurd, here is the official release from the CA government.

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CI...VID-19-Transmission-for-Gatherings-10-09.aspx

With them saying the vaccine won’t be rolled out to enough people until Summer I’m guessing we will continue to see more of this dumb shit until then. If Biden wins some doctor with no concerns for the economy will tell him to lock things down again and he will probably comply.

It's not about the vaccine or coronavirus. I really do not think any of that matters at all. What's stopping them from rolling out this agenda whenever they want? As I've posted 500 times, the regular influenza overwhelms hospitals every few years. Right now they are issuing all these mandates and lockdowns on the theory that hospitals will be overwhelmed from coronavirus (without any evidence).

Last edited:

Joe T.

BTW if anyone didn't believe what I wrote about Thanksgiving because it was so absurd, here is the official release from the CA government.

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CI...VID-19-Transmission-for-Gatherings-10-09.aspx

Yeah, they pulled that crap up here in Quebec during Canadian Thanksgiving a couple of weeks ago. Didn't stop the national news from reporting that "experts" are saying "Thanksgiving and fewer restrictions" are contributing to the surge in cases (CTV). It's just BS on top of BS on top of more BS. I'd feel pity for the braindead sheep that keep slurping this up if it wasn't negatively impacting so much of our lives.

Brick and mortar stores are going to get murdered this year because of the fear and "safety measures," there's just no way they'll be able to compete with the holiday sales of previous years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom