• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read my last sentence again. See Italys curve and compare it to the USA. Then come at me again. For your info, italy has reopened nearly everything, including Restaurants weeks ago.
I read it again. Saying Italy “has done a lot better” when they have significantly more deaths per capita is an interesting definition of better. We will see how things go long term, but the US will need about 50% more deaths than it currently has to reach Italian levels.

ManaByte

Gold Member
107252456_10221320351351014_4922698627456006581_n.jpg

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/education/article244039247.html

Florida Education Commissioner Richard Corcoran on Monday ordered public schools to reopen in August and offer “the full panoply of services” to students and families.

Florida is going to be a hot pot of Corona if they go through with this. How stupid. Most people that wanted schools opened wanted a hybrid plan. Instead Florida’s Education Commisioner Richard Corcoran (R) has decided to fully open schools with an emergency order.

Old retiree voters in Florida have to be having some kind of existential crisis at this point.

Chaplain

Coronavirus spreads through the air as aerosol, 230 scientists write in open letter to World Health Organization

"The World Health Organization (WHO) has downplayed airborne transmission of COVID-19 since the pandemic began but now more than 200 scientists are making a plea for action, warning people they aren't as protected as they may think. The WHO's view has so far been that COVID-19 is spread predominantly through large respiratory droplets — the ones that come flying out of our mouths when we cough, sneeze and speak but then quickly fall to the ground. The risk of airborne transmission has not been recognised by the WHO, except in some health care settings. But now 239 scientists from 32 different countries and many different areas of science (including virology, aerosol physics and epidemiology) have penned an open letter urging the WHO to change their advice. "We ignore COVID-19 airborne spread indoors at our peril," the scientists say. If their plea is heard, the ways in which the world attempts to control the virus could change dramatically." (7/6/20)

longdi

Banned
(CNN)The cough has come back, without warning and seemingly for no reason; so has the fatigue. True, neither are as debilitating as when I had the actual virus, but they are back.

Like many others, I am now coming to realize that I am living and suffering from the long tail of Covid-19.
I got infected back in mid-April. The onset of symptoms came quickly. I suddenly noticed I was feeling very tired and I had a new cough. I got tested and the morning after I received a phone call from the medical center, I had tested positive for coronavirus.
The virus is like a tornado. When it lands, it swirls through the body, causing chaos, confusion, coughs, wreaking damage to each organ it touches. Some won't survive its visit. For those that do, when it has gone, one surveys the damage to the human landscape and realizes it's much greater than first thought. My symptoms were on the milder side: I never had breathing difficulties, or loss of sense or smell. I was wiped-out tired and I always had "the cough," which has now returned.
Related: Spain's coronavirus antibodies study adds evidence against herd immunity
The Covid cough is not like your usual cough-it-up deep cough (what doctors politely call a "productive cough.") It is very distinctive. It is a dry, raspy, wheezy, cough. In my case, lots of short, expelling gasps of air, followed by a long, deep, chest-wrenching expiration cough, that has standers by wondering if I am going to keel over.
I have tested negative for the virus and positive for the antibodies, and my doctor says it won't return. But there are days when I feel that it has.
I am also discovering new areas of damage: I have now become incredibly clumsy. I was never the most lissome person, no one ever called me graceful, but my clumsiness is off the chart. If I reach for a glass, or take something out of a cupboard, I will knock it, or drop it on the floor. I have tripped over the curb and gone flying. I fall over furniture. It is as if that part of my brain, which subconsciously adjusts hand and movement to obstacles it sees, isn't working.
At times there's a sense of mild confusion. The micro delay in a thought, the hesitation with a word. Nobody would notice but me.
My digestive system is peculiar, to say the least.
It doesn't matter whether I call them symptoms, traits, or wreckage -- my body doesn't feel quite right.
For those who have not had Covid, or witnessed the mess it leaves behind, again, I urge you, do whatever you can to avoid this tornado.

The doctors try to reassure me, saying, this will wear off, but they can't tell me when. Last week was bad. The cough has been with me for days, I have been tired and needed to take naps. I tripped over the camera tripod then fell over a chair! I am concerned but not panicked, yet. This week already feels much better.
For those who have not had Covid, or witnessed the mess it leaves behind, again, I urge you, do whatever you can to avoid this tornado.
It will roar through the body -- kill some on the way -- injure all in its path -- and then when you think "well, thank God that's gone," look around, the damage is strewn everywhere and will be with you long after the crisis has passed.
Covid is a tornado with a very long tail.

sinnergy

(CNN)The cough has come back, without warning and seemingly for no reason; so has the fatigue. True, neither are as debilitating as when I had the actual virus, but they are back.

Like many others, I am now coming to realize that I am living and suffering from the long tail of Covid-19.
I got infected back in mid-April. The onset of symptoms came quickly. I suddenly noticed I was feeling very tired and I had a new cough. I got tested and the morning after I received a phone call from the medical center, I had tested positive for coronavirus.
The virus is like a tornado. When it lands, it swirls through the body, causing chaos, confusion, coughs, wreaking damage to each organ it touches. Some won't survive its visit. For those that do, when it has gone, one surveys the damage to the human landscape and realizes it's much greater than first thought. My symptoms were on the milder side: I never had breathing difficulties, or loss of sense or smell. I was wiped-out tired and I always had "the cough," which has now returned.
Related: Spain's coronavirus antibodies study adds evidence against herd immunity
The Covid cough is not like your usual cough-it-up deep cough (what doctors politely call a "productive cough.") It is very distinctive. It is a dry, raspy, wheezy, cough. In my case, lots of short, expelling gasps of air, followed by a long, deep, chest-wrenching expiration cough, that has standers by wondering if I am going to keel over.
I have tested negative for the virus and positive for the antibodies, and my doctor says it won't return. But there are days when I feel that it has.
I am also discovering new areas of damage: I have now become incredibly clumsy. I was never the most lissome person, no one ever called me graceful, but my clumsiness is off the chart. If I reach for a glass, or take something out of a cupboard, I will knock it, or drop it on the floor. I have tripped over the curb and gone flying. I fall over furniture. It is as if that part of my brain, which subconsciously adjusts hand and movement to obstacles it sees, isn't working.
At times there's a sense of mild confusion. The micro delay in a thought, the hesitation with a word. Nobody would notice but me.
It doesn't matter whether I call them symptoms, traits, or wreckage -- my body doesn't feel quite right.

The doctors try to reassure me, saying, this will wear off, but they can't tell me when. Last week was bad. The cough has been with me for days, I have been tired and needed to take naps. I tripped over the camera tripod then fell over a chair! I am concerned but not panicked, yet. This week already feels much better.
It will roar through the body -- kill some on the way -- injure all in its path -- and then when you think "well, thank God that's gone," look around, the damage is strewn everywhere and will be with you long after the crisis has passed.

Yeah, what most don’t know if you have heavy virus your not 100 % in a couple of days or even weeks, I know I had one about 22 years ago, took me months to be in a state that I could function and about 3 years to get my energy almost back as it was, but I never was the same .

can’t blame people because most haven’t , only advise I have listen To your body , rest and take it easy and work on your health and energy , sleep 8 hours a night .

After Fredo's "battle",

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I don't know who or what to believe anymore.

Either this virus is not as bad as the media is making it out to be and the whole thing is overblown OR it's even worse than what we're being told and the government and media don't want mass panic on their hands.

I legit don't know which one it is.

I do know that people who have gotten it and people who know those who have gotten it say it's a nightmare.

Alebrije

I don't know who or what to believe anymore.

Either this virus is not as bad as the media is making it out to be and the whole thing is overblown OR it's even worse than what we're being told and the government and media don't want mass panic on their hands.

I legit don't know which one it is.

I do know that people who have gotten it and people who know those who have gotten it say it's a nightmare.

The virus has diverse effects and sequels depending of the person but it seems most uf the people has not simptoms o ligth ones that to affect thier behavior. Other group has strong affectations but manage to keep in home...most of this group has terrible head ache or body pain i guess for them is a nightmare...finally are the ones that needed hospitalization.

Also there is a group that do not feel anything but have the virus and slowy are loosing oxigenation without feeling signals. This is is more dangerous for me than have simptoms.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
The virus has diverse effects and sequels depending of the person but it seems most uf the people has not simptoms o ligth ones that to affect thier behavior. Other group has strong affectations but manage to keep in home...most of this group has terrible head ache or body pain i guess for them is a nightmare...finally are the ones that needed hospitalization.

Also there is a group that do not feel anything but have the virus and slowy are loosing oxigenation without feeling signals. This is is more dangerous for me than have simptoms.
Yeah this shit is scary and I have to admit it's worrying me more than ever now.

Amory

I think I got that shit.

I don't have all the symptoms, but out of nowhere I have muscle aches, fatigue, a mild sore throat, and chest congestion. No fever yet.

Pray for me, I may not be long for this world

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

This is just criminal...

diffusionx

Gold Member
Another positive, no dead from Covid-19 in Stockholm in the last 5 days. :)

Gotta celebrate the small things!
Are they still trying to tell us Sweden was a terrible failure and made the wrong moves in this?

i haven’t seen any smug articles on Sweden in CNN so I guess they just don’t want to talk about it.

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Are they still trying to tell us Sweden was a terrible failure and made the wrong moves in this?

i haven’t seen any smug articles on Sweden in CNN so I guess they just don’t want to talk about it.
Trying? It’s clear as day Sweden was wrong. Death rates far higher than other demographically similar neighbours, with an economy that is just as bad if not worse.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Trying? It’s clear as day Sweden was wrong. Death rates far higher than other demographically similar neighbours, with an economy that is just as bad if not worse.

It’s actually not clear at all. What we are seeing today shows how foolish the lockdown strategy was from the start. Coronavirus is a virus. It is going to sweep through everywhere eventually. You can try to lock everything down into perpetuity or do some insane lockdown-open-lockdown-open seesaw but all that is going to do is create the apocalypse. A state like, say, Arizona, or a country like Australia, is now dealing with today what it was going to deal with sooner or later. There’s no escaping this.

The Sweden strategy was from the start the only acceptable one and not rooted in insane paranoia or magical thinking.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie

please stop spreading garbage you don't understand :messenger_unamused:

Www.rachelceller.org
"Intelligent design is the real story that “science” does not want you to know."

One of the greatest delusions of all times is that vaccines were designed to save everyone from dying of infectious disease that our immune system was not capable of handling. God is the creator of all living things on this earth. Humans and animals are the living breathing proof of intelligent design. seduce you with crafty language created by crafty men. The enemy wants to defile your temple with technological sorcery that kills, steals, and destroys all living things . Your blood and DNA is sacred because it has a divine code and sequence of order. Any man who attempts to rewrite and corrupt what is holy is an abomination . Our bodiy is the temple that houses the Holy Spirit and is not to be mocked and made a counterfeit.

God is the Alpha and the Omega the beginning and the end who carries all authority over the universe.

There is a war between good and evil and everyone plays a role in this primitive society of politics, propaganda, and the “evidence based health care system” that keeps everyone sick by design.

She is a fucking loon trying to sell you shit :messenger_pensive:

Last edited:
So what happened here?

6gA56V6.png

This is the Google trend sourced from Wikipedia, and does not match at all in scale with other sources for deaths from 7/5, 7/6, or 7/7, which are all in the low 100s. Typo? Some sort of error correction?

Last edited:

pLow7

It’s actually not clear at all. What we are seeing today shows how foolish the lockdown strategy was from the start. Coronavirus is a virus. It is going to sweep through everywhere eventually. You can try to lock everything down into perpetuity or do some insane lockdown-open-lockdown-open seesaw but all that is going to do is create the apocalypse. A state like, say, Arizona, or a country like Australia, is now dealing with today what it was going to deal with sooner or later. There’s no escaping this.

The Sweden strategy was from the start the only acceptable one and not rooted in insane paranoia or magical thinking.

This is extremely shortsighted.

Only because some of your states in the US did amazingly stupid and the Cases are going up, doesn't mean, that in the rest of the world the Lockdowns didn't work.

Matter of fact, every country in Europe posts really low numbers while having reopened everything. The goal was, to get the numbers to a really low point and then open up things. Lesser number of infected means easier contact tracing and the possibility to interrupt the chain.
Works pretty good (not perfect).

Sweden on the other hand just took over France and is now at 5.th place Death p. Capita. Considering they are an Island and a really really low population densitiy, they did absolutely horrible.
Denmark ( 600 Death, direct border to germany ) Finland ( 329 death ) and Norway ( 251 deaths) have all far, far less deaths than Sweden ( 5500) while being very similar.

All of the nordic States reopened already and have no Lockdowns. Sweden is still posting higher nearly double the numbers of infected than even Germany (500-1000 While having only 1/8 of the population ) while Finland (5-20), Denmark (50-100) and Norway (10-20) are doing really good.

Now what did Sweden gain from going this route? Nothing. The Economy still tanked comparebly to mainland Europe. They achieved nothing, in the contrary, they had needless deaths.

One Month of "Lockdown" is enough, then slowly reopen everything when the numbers are low. That's the only working way. And that's why the numbers in nearly every country in Europe is extremely low.

Now if you can tell me any scientific reason why the "Sweden-Way" is the right one, pls enlighten me. But please. Don't use populist shit like "It's just the flu", "Panic" etc.

pLow7

Sweden is an island ?

It's like half an Island to be precise. Basically all of Skandinavia is one big half island. What i wanted to say is, that majority of the people entering the Country come by Ship or Plane since the only way to get into Sweden by land is through a Bridge at Kopenhagen and a street in the North at the border with finland.

Compare that to Germany where you have 9 Neighbor countries and thousands of ways to enter the country without a real border.

Shhhhh, let him keep going...

Anything else to say? Or is that all of value that you can bring in this discussion?

Pretty telling that the only thing that bothers you is that i called Sweden an "island".

Last edited:

Liljagare

No, it isn't, the death rate for the first six months is actually -4.5% compared to baseline statistics.. It means Covid killed, but people didn't die as much from things like the flu and other seasonal diseases.. Up to week 24, there hasn't been a overmortality in *any* age group.

Last edited:

pLow7

No, it isn't, the death rate for the first six months is actually -4.5% compared to baseline statistics.. It means Covid killed, but people didn't die as much from things like the flu and other seasonal diseases.. Up to week 24, there hasn't been a overmortality in *any* age group.

Where do you have this data from?

This Graph in this Excel provided by the SCB shows something different.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
This is extremely shortsighted.

Only because some of your states in the US did amazingly stupid and the Cases are going up, doesn't mean, that in the rest of the world the Lockdowns didn't work.

Matter of fact, every country in Europe posts really low numbers while having reopened everything. The goal was, to get the numbers to a really low point and then open up things. Lesser number of infected means easier contact tracing and the possibility to interrupt the chain.
Works pretty good (not perfect).

Sweden on the other hand just took over France and is now at 5.th place Death p. Capita. Considering they are an Island and a really really low population densitiy, they did absolutely horrible.
Denmark ( 600 Death, direct border to germany ) Finland ( 329 death ) and Norway ( 251 deaths) have all far, far less deaths than Sweden ( 5500) while being very similar.

All of the nordic States reopened already and have no Lockdowns. Sweden is still posting higher nearly double the numbers of infected than even Germany (500-1000 While having only 1/8 of the population ) while Finland (5-20), Denmark (50-100) and Norway (10-20) are doing really good.

Now what did Sweden gain from going this route? Nothing. The Economy still tanked comparebly to mainland Europe. They achieved nothing, in the contrary, they had needless deaths.

One Month of "Lockdown" is enough, then slowly reopen everything when the numbers are low. That's the only working way. And that's why the numbers in nearly every country in Europe is extremely low.

Now if you can tell me any scientific reason why the "Sweden-Way" is the right one, pls enlighten me. But please. Don't use populist shit like "It's just the flu", "Panic" etc.

No, what is short sighted is this idea that by wearing masks into perpetuity and doing insane lockdowns, we will eliminate a contagious virus. There's been a grand total of 2 diseases eradicated through human action in all of history (and one more which has for all practical purposes eradicated). Needless to say a flu-type virus is not one of them. The virus is going to come back to Denmark. It is going to come back to Finland. It is going to come back to Norway. This is inevitable. What is even more short sighted is this idea that the destruction to the economy and mental health of the population, for a virus that the vast majority (99.7%+) will recover from just fine, is worth it. You speak of Germany as some great success story, but this article came out a couple weeks ago: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/25/world/europe/germany-coronavirus-reopening.html

This thing is just going to keep coming back. If these "flare ups" are met with mass hysteria and lockdowns we will never have normal lives again. I really think we have to accept reality in this situation, not issue these insane policies and hand over incredible amounts of power to the government, in the hopes they do something that is clearly impossible.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The thing about this push for herd immunity is that there's still a lot we don't know about this virus and now there's reports that there's a new mutation of it? We don't even have herd immunity to the flu or the common cold... Much less other viruses like certain STDs, pneumonia, RSV and tuberculosis.

And there was a healthy Broadway actor that got COVID-19 and his health deteriorated so badly in so many ways.

Let's find out everything about the virus and the illness first before we talk about herd immunity.

sinnergy

USA ! Stay save ! 60k infections a day, what a record to have . It should start declining . I hope most of you are save .

Last edited:

pLow7

No, what is short sighted is this idea that by wearing masks into perpetuity and doing insane lockdowns, we will eliminate a contagious virus. There's been a grand total of 2 diseases eradicated through human action in all of history (and one more which has for all practical purposes eradicated). Needless to say a flu-type virus is not one of them. The virus is going to come back to Denmark. It is going to come back to Finland. It is going to come back to Norway. This is inevitable. What is even more short sighted is this idea that the destruction to the economy and mental health of the population, for a virus that the vast majority (99.7%+) will recover from just fine, is worth it. You speak of Germany as some great success story, but this article came out a couple weeks ago: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/25/world/europe/germany-coronavirus-reopening.html

This thing is just going to keep coming back. If these "flare ups" are met with mass hysteria and lockdowns we will never have normal lives again. I really think we have to accept reality in this situation, not issue these insane policies and hand over incredible amounts of power to the government, in the hopes they do something that is clearly impossible.

What do you mean "coming" back? It never left Denmarl,Finland or Norway. It's there, bu tin comparison to Sweden it's managable.
That's the key difference. The Virus will not dissapear, but if the numbers are low enoug we can manage it.

Or we can let i go havoc like it's doing in the US and Brazil right now.

CloudNull

Banned

Going off the narrative that Sweden made the wrong call can some one please explain to me the current data we are seeing?

To me it looks like their deaths peaked early and have been on a steady decline to the point of having almost none now. Also the daily cases have fallen off a cliff after having a steady climb.

XobEOXG.png

2dqwIqT.png

For the people that disagree with Sweden's plan how can you explain this? Have they stopped reporting their true numbers? Are they going to see a second wave? I would love to hear if I am missing something. To me it seems that Sweden made the best call out of any country.

Last edited:
What do you mean "coming" back? It never left Denmarl,Finland or Norway. It's there, bu tin comparison to Sweden it's managable.
That's the key difference. The Virus will not dissapear, but if the numbers are low enoug we can manage it.

Or we can let i go havoc like it's doing in the US and Brazil right now.
How how will they manage a disease of the long term with at least 35% asymptomatic infection? When will that stop being an issue? How do you contract trace for a disease that you can have without any visible evidence? Do you just cancel large gatherings forever? Mandate repeated vaccination for the entire population for the rest of their lives? I guess you can do that, when a vaccine becomes available. Although if it’s only 50% effective, that probably won’t be enough. Sounds like normal life is over for Europe for good. But whatever it takes to stop a disease with a +99% survival rate, I guess.

Scandinavia is a Peninsula, btw. That’s the term you were looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom