• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

segasonic

In the Netherlands it’s also mandatory in public transport. And everywhere 1,5 meter distance and events are not allowed only if 1,5 meter is possible .
Why don‘t you have masks in supermarkets like we have in Germany though? People were crammed into Albert Heijn and didn‘t give a fuck last week when I was there. I was happy I had my FFP2 mask on.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Why don‘t you have masks in supermarkets like we have in Germany though? People were crammed into Albert Heijn and didn‘t give a fuck last week when I was there. I was happy I had my FFP2 mask on.

As soon as masks became mandatory here in Washington state, it seems like everyone just said fuck it to social distancing and limiting store capacity. I went to Costco a week ago and the place was packed. Everyone had masks, but no one tried to stay clear of each other even if there was enough space, which there often was not.

OuterLimits

As soon as masks became mandatory here in Washington state, it seems like everyone just said fuck it to social distancing and limiting store capacity. I went to Costco a week ago and the place was packed. Everyone had masks, but no one tried to stay clear of each other even if there was enough space, which there often was not.

I think you bring up a valid point. I'm in favor of masks, but I have noticed the same thing here in Virginia. People assume the mask will stop the virus. It helps, but if people are packed together, the virus is spreading.

Plus a ton of people wear masks fucking incorrectly anyway.

"The number of people who are getting sick and going to the hospitals has exponentially increased. The number of people in our ICU beds has exponentially increased," Turner said on CBS's "Face The Nation."
In Houston, the percentage of tests for the virus coming back positive has risen to nearly 25%. Turner said that people of color were being disproportionately impacted, particularly Hispanic residents.
I have always been skeptical of 2 week out predictions. But the Hispanic populations in my area of PA have disproportionately been impacted. I don’t know if that comes from some kind of genetic susceptibility or lack of overall health. We will see where it goes. If I lived in these places and I was elderly or had diabetes, I’d be taking extra precautions.

Also Mexico has been seeing like a 50% positivity rate on test results. I wonder whether proximity to the border is playing a role.

cryptoadam

Banned
White people in the USA are under represented in hospitilizations. They only accoubt for 33%. Blacks and hispanica are more than half. Any increase in hospitals is because of the virus hitting those communities. I wonder why hmmm. Actually if your younger than 65 and white you make up less than a quarter of the hospitlizations. Only at 65 do white people hit 40% of hospitlizations.

US will reach 3 million tomorrow

FCVVab2.png

US will reach 3 million tomorrow

FCVVab2.png

We have long since past 3 million actual cases. The CDC has been saying for every positive test there may be as many as 10 actual cases.

We have long since past 3 million actual cases. The CDC has been saying for every positive test there may be as many as 10 actual cases.

Sure I get the idea and would believe it to be true, just like I understand the estimate that China has 2.2 million cases. This is just the reported numbers, I think the reported and estimates are just different ways to consider what is going on.

There are negatives and positives to both. Reported numbers can be held back by a government hidding their numbers or faking them. While the other number is a educated guessing game.

We can report both.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The fact that positive results are *not* increasing in New York despite increased testing makes me think that this virus burns through the population (reaches a sort of herd immunity) a lot quicker than we thought.

They went from a 50% positive test result to total tests performed ratio, but have been flat at around 1~2% for a long time now.

Sorry to quote myself, but I saw someone mention "probable cases" being included in the total positive results (total cases) and thought they were just going off on some crazy conspiracy theory, but...

Note on cases: Following guidance from the CDC, many US states and territories now report both lab-confirmed cases and probable cases of COVID-19. (To be considered a probable case, a patient must meet a specific combination of clinical, laboratory, or epidemiological criteria.) Many of the states that report probable cases do not separate probable and lab-confirmed cases in their reporting, so our case count necessarily includes both lab-confirmed and probable cases. We have changed the label we use for this information from “positives” to “cases” to make it clear that these numbers do not exclusively represent positive test results.

A probable case or death is defined as:

Yo, what the hell is going on? How long has this been happening and what kind of numbers are we talking about?

edit: nevermind, looks like this has been happening since April. I must have just forgotten.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
When the doctors themselves tell you there’s a problem, you listen. The alternative is to listen to morons who say stupid shit like the virus is going to simply disappear. Or people who claim it only harms 1 percent of the people infected. Wait, that was the same stable genius.
The doctors themselves? This is just some guy on twitter bro

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
But what does an ICU bed offer for COVID patients that cant be supplied at a regular bed, besides ventilators? Apologies if that is a dumb question, but it seemed like the main distinction since this all kicked off. I understand better trained staff, faster response times for people crashing, and maybe a better process of keeping COVID positive patients quarantined from non-positive patients, but I haven't heard of any treatment that requires an ICU bed for moderate cases.
Depends on the hospital, but in most hospitals things like high flow oxygen, bipap, continuous renal replacement therapy, vasopressors can only be provided in the ICU.

sinnergy

Yeah I am for masks, but it’s all political, in the beginning they kept saying masks didn’t help, instead of we don’t have enough. Its pride. I wear them in Germany .

Last edited:

sinnergy

Depends on the hospital, but in most hospitals things like high flow oxygen, bipap, continuous renal replacement therapy, vasopressors can only be provided in the ICU.
Not only that but the needed specialized care, turning, monitoring ... there are not enough icu workers in the world.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Dr Tom Jefferson, from Oxford University’s Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine (CEBM), has highlighted a number of recent discoveries showing the virus’s presence around the world before it emerged in Asia.

It comes amid growing evidence that Covid-19 is, in fact, a global organism that was awaiting favourable conditions to finally emerge.

The call is coming from inside the house

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
What do you do when lots of different doctors are saying lots of different things?

Lots of doctors aren't saying different things. They're unified because viral outbreaks aren't new, and they're seeing the same things in this pandemic all over the globe. This is just one example.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned

He told the paper: “Strange things like this happened with Spanish Flu. In 1918, around 30 per cent of the population of Western Samoa died of Spanish Flu and they hadn’t had any communication with the outside world

Probably weren't wearing their masks

cryptoadam

Banned

Interesting that he says high probability that there is fecal transmission. Someone posted something a few days ago about someone saying its spread through shit like Hep A.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I hope this article isn't true. If so, it means the Trump admin is determined to do nothing even as our country is being rampaged by the virus while most others got it under control:

These four paragraphs, from a long article, sums up the Trump admin response that has left so many dead:

For nearly six months the administration offered a series of predictions and pronouncements that never came to fruition. From Trump promising that "the problem goes away in April" and predicting "packed churches all over our country" on Easter Sunday to Vice President Mike Pence's claim that "by Memorial Day weekend we will have this coronavirus epidemic behind us" to Jared Kushner's pronouncement the country would be "really rocking again" by July because Americans were "on the other side of the medical aspect of this."

This all followed the White House's initial message in January that the virus wasn't a threat at all. Asked if he was worried about a pandemic, Trump said at the time, "It's one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It's going to be just fine."

The message then morphed to the idea that the virus would be swiftly crushed by a robust federal response. "WE WILL WIN THIS WAR," Trump tweeted in March.

Soon after, the president demanded governors open up their states and said he had the authority to force them to do so. "LIBERATE MICHIGAN!" and "LIBERATE MINNESOTA!" and "LIBERATE VIRGINIA," he wrote on Twitter in April. Within days he decided to shift responsibility for the pandemic to the governors, saying, "The federal government will be watching them very closely and will be there to help in many different ways."

Liljagare

Sweden compared regular flu season baseline vs. Covid 19 season 2020, Sweden is 3.6% below historical pop adjusted baseline for this point in the flu season vs -4.5% at week 18. so, have lost a little ground, but are still well below historical avg.

bRacing

Banned
I hope this article isn't true. If so, it means the Trump admin is determined to do nothing even as our country is being rampaged by the virus while most others got it under control:

These four paragraphs, from a long article, sums up the Trump admin response that has left so many dead:
Sucks, but when you elect morons, you can't expect anything but a moronic response to problems. On the plus side, these screwups are going to cost them the House, Senate and White House. Always look on the bright side, I guess.

prag16

Banned
Came across this from May. Guess it got buried along with everything else that doesn't feed the narrative. But it's more I indication that this is a poop virus. Isolated from sewage, but unable to culture it from respiratory aerosols.

There's also this:

When you combine the two, you get to an interesting place.

They can't admit it's airborne if scientists have failed to culture it from respiratory droplets, right? But if it's airborne and potentially not coming respiratory aerosols (if somebody has a study where it COULD be cultured from respiratory aerosols I'm interested in seeing it).... then where's it coming from?

I think they've hidden the truth about the dreaded COVID toilet clouds long enough. Time to bring it into the light. Mandate full coverage toilet seats in all bathrooms today. Perhaps the cases of 20 people getting it at a choir practice actually were caused by the group sharing refreshments during a break, refreshments which had at some point been engulfed partially or completely in a COVID toilet cloud. And if the toilet cloud theory is correct, it means masks would do next to nothing barring MAYBE N95.

This alleged letter isn't available yet so we don't know yet if they discuss fecal toilet cloud aerosols, but we'll supposedly find out some time this week when it's released.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

Most others "got it under control" for the moment, but it's not permanent. Australia is dealing with a flare up now after declaring victory not that long ago.

This is inevitable. "We have to learn to live with it" is the only proper response. It's a virus, and it's not going anywhere, and it will come and go, just like the flu. It's possible we will never get a vaccine, and this is just how it is going forward. This is what we should have been saying months ago - in fact, some did, even the lockdown maniacs like Cuomo, until hysteria took over.

Came across this from May. Guess it got buried along with everything else that doesn't feed the narrative. But it's more I indication that this is a poop virus. Isolated from sewage, but unable to culture it from respiratory aerosols.

I dunno - I remember reading about a Chinese study where they analyzed who in a restaurant got the rona, and it turned out to be from an infected person who was upwind from an AC unit. I guess it's theoretically possible that the people did in fact catch it from the toilet seat or some poop miasma but I dunno. I think that one study is a big driver in this whole mask business and indoor dining restriction, and of course, the study could be wrong. And it would be fantastic if this is why as we can get rid of these damned masks.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Most others "got it under control" for the moment, but it's not permanent. Australia is dealing with a flare up now after declaring victory not that long ago.

This is inevitable. "We have to learn to live with it" is the only proper response. It's a virus, and it's not going anywhere, and it will come and go, just like the flu. It's possible we will never get a vaccine, and this is just how it is going forward. This is what we should have been saying months ago - in fact, some did, even the lockdown maniacs like Cuomo, until hysteria took over.

I dunno - I remember reading about a Chinese study where they analyzed who in a restaurant got the rona, and it turned out to be from an infected person who was upwind from an AC unit. I guess it's theoretically possible that the people did in fact catch it from the toilet seat or some poop miasma but I dunno. I think that one study is a big driver in this whole mask business and indoor dining restriction, and of course, the study could be wrong. And it would be fantastic if this is why as we can get rid of these damned masks.

"We have to learn with it" is one thing, that's a line of thought, but not one that should be taken seriously by a government who never tried to wrestle it under control. When your cases continue to rise, no, this isn't something a country can just "learn to live with". We can't even travel to some countries now. That should tell you a lot.

And please don't get rid of masks. Please never think that. People mutually wearing masks prevent the spread from one or another by a large percentage. It is this kind of thinking, that masks can be discarded while the epidemic continues, that insures the US remains in a raging epidemic while other countries are not.

Last edited:
"We have to learn with it" is one thing, that's a line of thought, but not one that should be taken seriously by a government who never tried to wrestle it under control. When you cases continue to rise, no, this isn't something a country can just "learn to live with". We can't even travel to some countries. That should tell you a lot.

And please don't get rid of masks. Please never think that. People mutually wearing masks prevent the spread from one or another. It is this kind of thinking while the US is still in a raging epidemic while other countries are not.
Learning to live with it doesn’t mean getting rid of masks. Quite the opposite actually. Learning to live with it means adapting to reality without panicking like a child. It’s a manageable disease for the vast, vast majority of people. Learning to live with it is putting it in its proper context.

diffusionx

Gold Member
"We have to learn with it" is one thing, that's a line of thought, but not one that should be taken seriously by a government who never tried to wrestle it under control. When your cases continue to rise, no, this isn't something a country can just "learn to live with". We can't even travel to some countries now. That should tell you a lot.

And please don't get rid of masks. Please never think that. People mutually wearing masks prevent the spread from one or another by a large percentage. It is this kind of thinking, that masks can be discarded while the epidemic continues, that insures the US remains in a raging epidemic while other countries are not.

No, that's exactly how governments should be acting. This idea that we need to lock ourselves in our homes until we have zero cases of a damn virus is absolutely insane. The lockdown was the stupidest thing I've ever seen governments do, especially while they sent sick people to places full of those who cannot fight it off. But for most, this is a virus that the vast majority of working people can recover from without issue. And that is why we are seeing case counts rise and death counts drop.

Right now, the effectiveness of masks is purely theoretical. Read the articles and they say, "well, it probably cuts down on transmission, and they're cheap and ubiquitous, so why not?". I think people can accept that, for the time being. But obviously, if they are proven to be ineffective, and it is transmitted from poop miasma or something else, then there's no point in wearing them.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Learning to live with it doesn’t mean getting rid of masks. Quite the opposite actually. Learning to live with it means adapting to reality without panicking like a child. It’s a manageable disease for the vast, vast majority of people. Learning to live with it is putting it in its proper context.

And putting it in its proper context is wearing a mask and practicing social distancing and controlled reopening ...... which is working in real time for other countries and has in the past (this isn't the world's first pandemic). We have observed these things before and are observing these now. You're like "hey abide by reality" but then ask us to do the opposite.

I don't even know what else to say.

Edit: "Right now, the effectiveness of masks is purely theoretical " no. Man, not at all. It is not theoretical, this is basic demonstrable science. It is frightening that anyone thinks this as you do.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Great reading al the arguments like it’s January again , I wish you all the best of luck concurring this virus , you are going to need it.

don’t be foolish follow the simple rules , social distance, wear a mask when needed, wash your hands more often. And if snotty or sick get tested and stay home. It’s not that hard.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Great reading al the arguments like it’s January again , I wish you all the best of luck concurring this virus , you are going to need it.

Oh no, I might get a cough and a fever for a few days, better destroy society

Oh wait I actually did get a cough and a fever for a few days, in February, and I'm still alive.

Last edited:
And putting it in its proper context is wearing a mask and practicing social distancing and controlled reopening ...... which is working in real time for other countries and has in the past (this isn't the world's first pandemic). We have observed these things before and are observing these now. You're like "hey abide by reality" but then ask us to do the opposite.

Edit: "Right now, the effectiveness of masks is purely theoretical " no. Man, not at all. It is not theoretical, this is basic demonstrable science. It is frightening that anyone thinks this as you do.
See you think we’re disagreeing, but we’re not. You’re just so desperate to argue. You think “learning to live with it” means let’s all go clubbing, every man for himself. Learning to live with it means putting the disease in its proper place, which is somewhere much different from the way we were acting 2 months ago.

General precautions are good. Keeping the right people safe is good. Getting low risk people to be careful, especially around vulnerable people is good.

Pissing our collective selves over this disease like it’s the Black Plague or smallpox is stupid.

bRacing

Banned
Is the proper context "It will simply disappear one day"?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Having lived in Japan, the effectiveness of masks is clear to me, so I'm all for them indoors, but the WHO and CDC really fucked up when they recommended against their use earlier on in this pandemic. Coming out against them when they should have known better as experts (and as you say, this isn't the world's first pandemic) and reversing course later is a huge cause of the distrust we're seeing.

don’t be foolish follow the simple rules , social distance, wear a mask when needed, wash your hands more often. And if snotty or sick get tested and stay home. It’s not that hard.

It isn't that hard, and a lot of people were doing their best to follow them. I think the BLM protests just made everyone who had been shut in for months collectively say, "fuck this." The hypocrisy we saw from our media and politicians in regards to those specific protests I think was very hard to process for a lot of people.

Last edited by a moderator:

prag16

Banned
"Right now, the effectiveness of masks is purely theoretical " no. Man, not at all. It is not theoretical, this is basic demonstrable science. It is frightening that anyone thinks this as you do.
Yeah I wouldn't go so far as to say it is PURELY theoretical. They'll block respiratory droplets. But evidence that masks are a huge game changer specifically for THIS VIRUS from what I've seen is more just assumed than empirically proven on a grand scale (but feel free to drop some study links that you feel are smoking guns; I'm always looking to read more about it) which is why I think the poop theory still can't be ruled out. I'm still confused why we were hearing about sewage testing etc yielding meaningful information in various places back in March/April, but almost nothing since then.

SARS and MERS more or less did. So maybe.

Jesus who gives a shit. It’s importance will certain decrease significantly. You’re hinging so much on what Trump says or doesn’t say. He’s the President, so I get it I guess, but this idea that I’m supposed to give a shit about what any President says about every little thing is so dumb. He doesn’t know anything about infectious diseases. He talks out his ass half the time. Who doesn’t know that after 4 years?

Then again I don’t see how electing an Alzheimer’s patient alleviates that problem.

sinnergy

Having lived in Japan, the effectiveness of masks is clear to me, so I'm all for them indoors, but the WHO and CDC really fucked up when they recommended against their use earlier on in this pandemic. Coming out against them when they should have known better as experts (and as you say, this isn't the world's first pandemic) and reversing course later is a huge cause of the distrust we're seeing.

It isn't that hard, and a lot of people were doing their best to follow them. I think the BLM protests just made everyone who had been shut in for months collectively say, "fuck this." The hypocrisy we saw from our media and politicians in regards to those specific protests I think was very hard to process for a lot of people.
Partly true , but you all have minds and can think and judge what is save.

but I agree , your government is not really giving the best example.

Ar¢tos

Elegant but unproven, RNA experiments leap to the front in coronavirus vaccine race. Will they work?

MV5BYTE1ZTBlYzgtNmMyNS00ZTQ2LWE4NjEtZjUxNDJkNTg2MzlhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU0OTQ0OTY@._V1_.jpg
Rna vaccines have been used safely and successfully in animals for some time now.
Humans are still mammals, it shouldn't be any different.
Just because RNA vaccines are new, there is no need for tin foil hats. Dead virus vaccines were once the new thing too and the reactions back then were the same.
I don't think anyone expects a single vaccine to be enough and offer full protection, very likely it will require a combo of 2 or more different vaccines, a RNA/subunit vaccine followed a few months later by an attenuated/active virus vaccine in order the achieve the max production of antibodies.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think anyone expects a single vaccine to be enough and offer full protection

Actually, a lot of people do. "Until there's a vaccine." "We have to wait for a vaccine." "Just do this until we have a vaccine." "WHERE'S THE VACCINE?!" You see comments like this everywhere. You see them in the policies drafted by governments. You see them in the statements HR departments are putting out.

I fear to see what the next goal posts will be and what the reaction to them will be when it becomes clear a single vaccine will not be a silver bullet and we're actually going to have to learn to live with this thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom