• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Can you get this shit from the mail? I got a package from the UK today and I might already be dead.
Pick it up with gloves or a tissue/paper towel. Set it in a place in your house for 3 days. Then you will be fine. Don't forget to wash your hands and asshole twice after removing gloves or throwing away tissue/paper towel.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I won't be taking a check because even though I desperately need it I won't support the redistribution of wealth. Every dollar that's given to one person is taken from another person. It's nothing but theft. I recognize the truth that this is nothing but the start of the Universal Basic Income. There's nothing in the constitution that supports social programs like social security, medicare, food stamps, or the UBI.

It's your money bud. Where do you think it came from?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Welp, the situation I warned my company about last Friday when they deferred the decision to have people work from home until today happened.

Coworker spent the weekend with a potential carrier, her mother. Her mother is also the caregiver of her aunt, and her aunt just tested positive today. She didn't tell anyone her Aunt was sick until yesterday afternoon when she found out her aunt was being tested for COVID-19, and this morning she found out her aunt tested positive.

Now, potentially everyone in the building has been exposed. Good fucking job.

Do what Burt would.

Make him proud.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Classic Trump strategy there, use gimmicks and silly names to point fingers and divert the discussion from the real issues at hand. While people are discussing whether China should be blamed and how to call the epidemy, they're not discussing what they expect the US government to do.

This. Its sad.

llien

Could be pressure from WHO and France they have made to most noise
I didn't know WHO had any weight.
France simply said they'd ban UK citizens from entering the country, which would apply only in a theoretical scenario of France managing to stop the spread of infection, without most of the population getting infected.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Newest Post from the Doctor

"Coronavirus Update 3-18-2020

Today we saw the first real impact of the increased testing that is starting to begin. Remember we are really just beginning to start testing more of the symptomatic people. There are still restrictions on who can be tested at this time. But testing centers are being assembled here in Texas as we speak. So what did we see at the time of this writing we had 1,846 new cases in the US with a total now of 6,509. Once we expand who can be tested we will likely see an even larger spike in cases.

New fatalities at 29 today with a total of 115 now. The good news: the fatality rate dropped as we predicted to 1.7%. Lets keep this going down. Which it will with social distancing and increased testing. Lets focus on getting to below South Korea’s level at 0.9%.

Remember that if you think you have the virus it does not matter when you get tested. Don’t get mad at your health care providers, the state, or government. Tests are coming, it's just going to take some time to mass produce them. If you think you have the virus stay home and isolate yourself for 14 days. When you find a testing location available near you then you can get tested. Be patient unless you are seriously ill there is nothing else to do except drink lots of fluids and take tylenol for fever.

Do not use Advil or other NSAID’s like aspirin and naprosyn as they have been shown to potentially worsen the disease due to the virus potentially binding to ACE receptors.

Lots of people are asking about Italy with a fatality rate of 7.9% and over 300 deaths per day. How can we prevent this from happening here. While it’s true our numbers are currently mirroring Italy’s about 2 weeks ago, we don’t expect that trend to continue due to all of the social distancing. This should prevent us from having the horrific problems they are having now.

In addition our hospital’s are all devising emergency plans just in case we are unsuccessful at slowlying the virus which I do not believe will happen. They are ordering extra supplies, making plans for staffing and setting up makeshift beds in halls, tents in parking lots etc."

Last edited:

Chaplain

"Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota." (3/16/20)

Alebrije

It is just an infection or the flu I hope.

Being honest Mexico learned from H1N1 years ago. Since day one even before Italy or Spain the coronavirus has been tracked. People will die and get sick as on every country but not the way Spain or Italy.

By example US just started last week to stop public events we did the same this week with 89 cases and no deaths...also school will be suspended for 1 month this friday.

Yep some countries are with serious issues like Spain or Italy but thats because people insteand being in home went to vacations and public places.

I didn't know WHO had any weight.
France simply said they'd ban UK citizens from entering the country, which would apply only in a theoretical scenario of France managing to stop the spread of infection, without most of the population getting infected.

It might not be any of them. And UK are just in flux on what to do and what will be effective for them.
Everyone is trying to do something different.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Questions for the Doc:

Bunch of questions about various things.
1. Yes people seem to develop immunity post infection. Time will tell how long it (immunity) lasts etc

2. We are working on treatments. There is some hope that plasma transfusions from recovered individuals may help but to early to tell.

Also hydroxychlorquinone may have some effect on the virus. Discussed mechanism previously somewhere.

Lastly some HIV antivirals may help. The world is working together to find a regimen that will be effective.

It is much easier to disinfect a credit card than cash.
Very true but remember coronavirus can only live up to 24 hrs on cardboard, 72 hrs on plastics and steel in a laboratory. Real life time will be much less. I would suspect paper even less than cardboard. In addition UV light is one of the best disinfectants so lay your bills out in the sun for a little while and it will likely clean them. Wiping a credit card with alcohol and it is cleaned.

PLEASE remember to sterile your cell phones regularly. Clean them with 60+% alcohol if you are worried about it not being water proof than purchase a UV phone sterilizer. It takes about 5 to 10 Minutes but will completely sterilize your phone.

I'm having a hard time understanding how the asymptomatic are spreading it. My understanding is it spreads like the flu, it aerosols in coughs and sneezes. If you are asymptomatic you aren't coughing and sneezing, so how are they spreading it?
It spreads with any respiratory droplets. When you breath respiratory droplets are excreted with normal breathing. More are excreted with coughing and sneezing but there is enough to get infected with normal breathing also. As a rule of thumb if you can smell somebody's breath you are inhaling there respiratory droplets.

SIAP, is there any COVID infection rate and mortality data so far for heavy drinkers?
Yes I would consider heavy drinkers to be high risk. Most have elevated liver functions if not some degree of cirrhosis. In addition heavy drinking leads to diabetes. Which we know is a significant risk factor.

Last edited:
Southern California’s Palm Springs issues shelter-in-place order
From CNN's Stella Chan

Southern California’s Palm Springs has ordered residents to shelter-in-place and limit activities to those only essential to daily lives.
The city joins several Northern California counties with the order in an attempt to stop the spread of coronavirus.
Palm Springs is in Riverside County which has 13 cases of coronavirus, including three deaths.

Liljagare

NKS hospital in Stockholm, Sweden, and the region, adopt NATO protocols for hospitals in the highest state of readiness.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

How's everyone holding up? Day 1 of teach from home today. Getting REALLY bored of sitting inside. Even with my video games...I'd really like to go out (obv cant / wont) at this point in time

How's everyone holding up? Day 1 of teach from home today. Getting REALLY bored of sitting inside. Even with my video games...I'd really like to go out (obv cant / wont) at this point in time
normally I'd be ecstatic to have time off with no social responsibilities other than to nerd out, pig out and work out but now im going nuts with nothing I actually want to do.

Mihos

Gold Member
Classic Trump strategy there, use gimmicks and silly names to point fingers and divert the discussion from the real issues at hand. While people are discussing whether China should be blamed and how to call the epidemy, they're not discussing what they expect the US government to do.

He spent the entire fucking conference talking about the real issues at hand, every single day... he only said China Virus in passing.... it's you who decided to spend your energy on that, no one else.

keraj37

I can visualize you sitting in home, bored
767053.jpg

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Everything stopped here in Brazil Porto Alegre.

How much longer can this situation be sustained without turning into a catastrophe?

Is there anything wrong with going out for a walk and getting fresh air as long as you are not coming into contact with other people?

JordanN

Banned
If you have any hobbies, I would get started on them.

Learn painting, write a book, build a model train.

Who knows, it might even open a new career pathway.

rykomatsu

I'm having a hard time understanding how the asymptomatic are spreading it. My understanding is it spreads like the flu, it aerosols in coughs and sneezes. If you are asymptomatic you aren't coughing and sneezing, so how are they spreading it?
  • Heavy breathing?
  • You've never had someone throw a drop of spit your way while talking? You know, that pinhead size drop?
  • Allergy season, so coughs, sniffles, and sneezes are all over the place

"Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota." (3/16/20)

I could listen to this guy all day I feel he is always on point on this

Guys, is it clear at this point why UK government has abandoned the "herd immunity" plans?

Im going to guess its because people are not staying away from elderly/older people. Just older people gettting severely sick can overwhelm your healthcare system very quickly as well

Louisiana now has 240 coronavirus cases statewide
From CNN's Tina Burnside

The Louisiana Department of Health is reporting 240 cases of novel coronavirus as of this morning. The new figure includes an increase of 44 cases since the last update on Tuesday.
Orleans Parish in New Orleans has been the hardest hit by the coronavirus outbreak, with 176 positive cases and four deaths to date.

Spain cancels all boats, flights to Spanish islands
From CNN's Mia Alberti in Lisbon and Ingrid Formanek in Madrid

All aerial and maritime connections between mainland Spain and its Canary and Balearic Islands will be suspended from 7 p.m. ET (midnight local) today to help curb the spread of COVID-19.
All flights from mainland airports to Melilla, and helicopter flights to Ceuta, will also be suspended, according to the Spanish Ministry of Transport.
According to the Canary autonomous government, inter-island flights will also be reduced to 18 daily connections, to guarantee the transport of "200 workers who work between islands."
Military or state airplanes, cargo, humanitarian, medical and emergency flights are not included in the measure. All flights will operate at a 50% capacity.
As for maritime transportation, the 62 daily inter-island connections will be reduced to 26, and only those with "justified needs" will be able to travel, the ministry said.

Alx

He spent the entire fucking conference talking about the real issues at hand, every single day... he only said China Virus in passing.... it's you who decided to spend your energy on that, no one else.

As a matter of fact I was answering to someone who was starting to spend energy on that, explaining why it was counter-productive to do so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom