• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales - Digital Foundry Tech Review - Welcome To The Next Generation

-Arcadia-

Banned
Props to Insomniac for delivering something that made it to PS4, but also provides a wonderful opening next-gen experience on PS5.

That can’t have been easy, but the console benefits. That makes two fantastic showcases that I’m aware of at launch.

Game looks great. In this setting, raytraced reflections really shine. It looks so off without them.

Yep. Sometimes I roll my eyes at how minor RT reflections can be, but a Spider-Man game is the perfect application for them. I didn’t really realize until this video, how transformative it would be.

CAB_Life

Holy crap at the RT

1920x-1

Okay, that screenshot was one of the first I can recall that made me think RT might be worth it. That looks like an actual street.

diffusionx

Gold Member
If it's only a matter of better reflections, the 30 fps mode can fuck right off, the combat and traversal in this game screams for 60frame...

I got a platinum in this game on PS4, it plays well, and the mechanics are not so complex that they cry out for more responsiveness. It is not Sekiro. On the other hand, I think it would really benefit from the better reflections, materials, puddles, etc., in large part because of its setting. Similar to Watch Dogs 3. That's just my opinion of course.

They really should have made a dynamic resolution 60fps mode with ray tracing.

My guess is they tried, but it doesn't work unless "dynamic resolution" means getting way down to One S levels.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I got a platinum in this game on PS4, it plays well, and the mechanics are not so complex that they cry out for more responsiveness. It is not Sekiro. On the other hand, I think it would really benefit from the better reflections, materials, puddles, etc., in large part because of its setting. Similar to Watch Dogs 3. opinion of course.
You don't need complex machanics to enjoy 60 fps in a fast paced combat system (or in any combat system really)

And let's be honest, sekiro is kinda of a one trick pony with his gameplay, it's basically parry 95% of the time.

Spiderman has far more moves and stuff that you can chain together and it is vastly more dynamic than sekiro, you literally fly from an enemy to another if you are skilled enough.

I don't need better reflections that i'm gonna notice every once in a while compared to something that you feel every time you move the camera or your character.

Different tastes i guess.

Last edited:
welcome to the next generation of raytraced remasters of flat old games

wait for GTA V
I get your lack of enthusiasm, I share it to a small degree, but I won't pretend that ray/path-tracing can't substantially impove the look of many games.

Quake 2 looks pretty goddamn stunning considering it came out over 23 years ago, which I wager is older than most people on this forum considering how some act.

Hell, without even official support, GTAV's fake ass raytracing mods look incredible on PC.

Last edited:
Alex is part of a hardcore xbox centric discord group where a lot PS5 FUD originated from.
Thats all Im gonna write here and Im not going to discuss this any further.

Yeah, because then you'd have to have proof. Alex is clearly a PC-centric focused guy. How you try and label him otherwise makes no damn difference unless you have a SHRED OF EVIDENCE to the contrary. As it stands, I imagine you'll just say your bullshit and then go hide somewhere.

Just seeing this is giving me a bit of vertigo.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
This shit is looking so good with the reflections.

The 60fps mode seems really nice too, but the RT really makes it a tough choice. I'm usually all about framerate, but that's usually if it's just about resolution decreasing. Decreasing what makes this stand out (raytraced relfections) is a different story.

It really didn't look much improved until they show the side by side footage and you can see there really is a huge step up. My memory was definitely being overly generous to the PS4 game.

Raytracing seems to be a sensible compromise here - while on paper a PS5 can never match a powerful PC for raytracing performance the clever use of it here really brings the city to life.

Kagero

Shit! So hyped guys. Skill Up says play 60fps mode because ray traced mode isn't anything to write home about. DF says Ray-traced 30 fps is the shitzzzz! is there a detailed side by side?

dtremblay

I don't have a 4K TV, just 1080p. So I can either choose 60 fps, or RT, but not both at 1080p? Slight bummer but oh well.

Also, if I never played Spider-Man on PS4 but pre-ordered the deluxe ed on PS5, do I start with the remaster or MM?

Md Ray

I don't have a 4K TV, just 1080p. So I can either choose 60 fps, or RT, but not both at 1080p? Slight bummer but oh well.

Also, if I never played Spider-Man on PS4 but pre-ordered the deluxe ed on PS5, do I start with the remaster or MM?
Pretty sure the image quality will downsample to your 1080p set. So the image will be internally rendering at native 4K (in the case of 30fps mode) and the resulting image quality, even on a 1080p display, will look very sharp and pristine. Sharper than native 1080p render.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned

I feel like we underestimate how much work these alternate performance modes are, specifically to quality test, but this would be an awesome option for a lot of games.

Pretty sure the image quality will downsample to your 1080p set. So the image will be internally rendering at native 4K (in the case of 30fps mode) and the resulting image quality, even on a 1080p display, will look very sharp and pristine. Sharper than native 1080p render.
I think that poster is implying that he'd prefer to play with all the sweet RT stuff at 1080p/60fps than 4k/30fps. Which, tbh, seems like a fair perspective.

Aidah

RT mode for strolls, slow camera pans, close inspections, and screenshots. 60fps mode when actually playing. Anyway, it looks good AF.

Last edited:
Top Bottom