• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy |OT| We Got This...Kinda

Kuranghi

Did anyone that had issues with HDR on PC (too dark, crushed shadows/blacks) get it working or just gave up on it?

JackSparr0w

Banned
Looks and plays fantastic in my OLED at 4k 120 fps max settings with a GTX 3080.

Having lots of fun, easily recommend this game.

j0hnnix

Are there any comparisons between the PS5 and Xbox series x versions? I want to buy the game but I haven't decided the platform yet, does it runs or look better in one of them?
That's what I'm holding out on ATM to decide where to buy it on. Hopefully DF comes through soon. dark1x already tweeted a mention about the game itself but not confirming a tech review of platforms yet.

Certinty

First time in forever I don’t want a game to end. When I played Far Cry 6, Life Is Strange: True Colors, Deathloop and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart all in the last few months, they were shorter and I still felt I had enough of each by time I finished them.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Im not going to harp on it but im still not seeing what all the praise is about? its been a pretty mundane experience.. I guess if you are looking for an interactive movie and you value cutscenes and annoying banter above all else it could be great? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
What's up with the lack of comparison videos? These are usually released very soon after the game itself and so far there is none for Guardians. Really weird.
I'm guessing they didn't get copies in soon enough? I'm looking forward to the tech breakdown for this one. Which console is best for this is irrelevant to me as I'll be getting this on pc

kiphalfton

The transition from Chapter 12 to 13 is the best in any game in a VERY VERY VERY long time. I literally said "NO FUCKING WAY!" when you realize what Chapter 13 will be.

If it's what I think it is, fucking YouTubers already spoiled the game for me.

Pisses me off, but I guess I should know better as the thumbnails on YouTube videos always have major plot/character spoilers. Gotta go in completely blind and not look at any forums or YouTube after getting a game!

saintjules

Pisses me off, but I guess I should know better as the thumbnails on YouTube videos always have major plot/character spoilers. Gotta go in completely blind and not look at any forums or YouTube after getting a game!

Ooof. Thanks for the head's up. Going dark on this game now.

ManaByte

Fucking dicksplash clout chasing grifters.

Last edited:
I didn't know I would spend so much time in Photo Mode.

6rVaP7z.jpg

YJcxHFc.jpg

NPpKR8d.jpg

vEbOaTC.jpg

TOufWvU.jpg

Wow on that first shot, it’s like they made the photomode frame specifically for that scene lol. Nice catch on the capture.

“Storm riders!!!” ,|,,|

I’m not to chapter 7 yet on Xbox, but anyone playing on that platform know if Spider-Man is mentioned there?
He is.

Last edited:
Oh really? That’s interesting.
I kinda raised an eyebrow at it but it wasn’t that surprising. They aren’t going to be petty enough to remove a sound clip.

I'm also holding off until I hear about which system to play it on between PS5 and XSX

The other video above calls them completely even. When 4k/30 is completely locked to 30 with the same settings and performance mode is only 1080p on both but also completely locked to 60 with the same settings there’s really nothing to compare (there is technically a frame hitch on saves no matter what mode, if you hit some of the checkpoints that are in the middle of levels without a cutscene transition, but that’s normal).

It’s pretty much parity between the two so just go with what you prefer.

Last edited:

jeffyjaixx

The performance mode on PS5 seemed fine until I got to Chapter 6. Then the frames were dipping like hell. Any other PS5 owners also experienced that or was that just me?

Justin9mm

Im not going to harp on it but im still not seeing what all the praise is about? its been a pretty mundane experience.. I guess if you are looking for an interactive movie and you value cutscenes and annoying banter above all else it could be great? 🤷‍♂️
Well it's a Marvel game.. A Marvel game attracts Marvel fans, Marvel fans love Marvel Movies, Marvel Movies are essentially all cutscenes. The story and banter is the magic of GOTG.. If you love the GOTG movies then this is what you are getting in a game.

I'm guessing you're not a Marvel or GOTG buff so it's meh to you.

I dunno, i'ts kind of like saying what's all the hype about NBA2K but you don't follow, play or watch Basketball

Last edited:

thatJohann

Loving the game to death. But I just had my first hard crash on Series X on performance mode. Got back to the ship after finishing chapter 5 and it was stuttering then suddenly screen went black and crashed back to dashboard. Also noticed major frame rate drops in chapter 5 when you’re
releasing the ship lockdown clamps.
Was running around 45fps most of that section. Hoping for a patch soon. Love the game tho!

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I’m not to chapter 7 yet on Xbox, but anyone playing on that platform know if Spider-Man is mentioned there?
Yes he is and so are the Avengers which isn't a surprise.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
For those playing on Xbox Series X, does anyone keep having their custom difficulty settings reset? It keeps happening every few fights or main fights and it's annoying as hell because I have to keep changing back to the way I want it.

SpearFist

So i received my copy but it turns out that PC retail copy needs dvd drive to activate. Wtf, i dont have any.

Will try in office or friends laptop

Fucking dicksplash clout chasing grifters.
I hate these clowns like "Hollow" and "rad brad" whose thumbnail images are often spoilers in and of themselves. How self centered and lacking in awareness do you have to be to know your spoiling games but not care because you want them clicks.

A single screen shot can ruin a game real good. This guy, Hollow, I want to punch in his perma smiling face because every time a new game comes out this guy is spoiling it. These jerks are not even buying most of these games themselves so why should they care apparently.

GymWolf

I hate these clowns like "Hollow" and "rad brad" whose thumbnail images are often spoilers in and of themselves. How self centered and lacking in awareness do you have to be to know your spoiling games but not care because you want them clicks.

A single screen shot can ruin a game real good. This guy, Hollow, I want to punch in his perma smiling face because every time a new game comes out this guy is spoiling it. These jerks are not even buying most of these games themselves so why should they care apparently.
Yeah those 2 are terrible, they can't even fake a bit of not being payed to hype stuff and i don't know how can anyone beyond 6 years of age can watch this people without blowing their heads off with a gun, they are super fucking annoying...

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
One thing to note is after debating what I would play the game on, I decided to go for the PS5 version.

However I am now regretting this as there are large noticeable performance dips throughout the game even on preformance mode. The Skiff rides at one point have been the worst so far, where the game dropped to almost unplayable levels that took me out of the experience and made the game feel a lot cheaper than the rest of it manages to deliver.

If you have a top end PC I would recommend buying on that instead, I will probably double dip eventually as apparently the RTX 3080 manages to deliver a great gaming experience with ray tracing enabled.

After looking at the PC trailer it feels like this game, more so than others was designed around ray tracing doing some serious heavy lifting in the environment, and the game can't even run well on console without it. There are multiple visual glitches, things like characters having there weapons stuck to there hands out of combat meaning they stab themselves in the chest in cutscenes, to characters getting "stuck" to you and following you into cutscenes there are not in and blocking the camera etc, however I assume patches will resolve these.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Yeah, just to echo what some people are saying in here.

Playing on PS5:
- Incredible animations, visuals and sound (On quality mode)
- Seems to have a 3D audio mode for surround set ups for systems with Atmos even on PS5 but it doesn't work properly and heavily distorts the audio.
- Performance mode on PS5 is noticeably low res and has ALOT of concessions, seems lighting and detail is parred back heavily it doesn't look very good in 2021.
- Quality mode looks fantastic but of course the down side is 30fps.

If I had a top end PC, 3080etc I would get it on that, hoping there is a patch for the PS5 but as much as I am enjoying the game having to flick between the two modes is annoying and if this is the ceiling for these consoles its not a good look....May have to reconsider my itch for a gaming PC.

Still loving this game. I'd go as far as to say I prefer the more comic based characters in this game than the movie versions and some of the backstories are handled a million times better than the movies (which I did think were great).

I think the voice acting is top class. Hate to make an Avengers comparison but I thought the voice acting in that game was shockingly bad (the horrendous dialogue didn't help) where the voices here are different than you might expect from the movies but top drawer nonetheless.

The game shows that even with comic book games you can get great and at times emotional stories if you have people working on it that know and enjoy the source material.

I know comedy is subjective but I can say that I maybe chuckled once playing through R&C which people seem to think is a funny game while I've let out some real belly laughs while playing Guardians. It's a really solid script.

I really like the team based combat which I guess highlights the fact the Star-Lord is physically much closer to a regular dude in most of the versions I've read and can see why they didn't let you switch characters but it won't be to everyone's tastes. It will always be difficult to balance games with comic characters when their strength levels are so different. Take Spiderman PS4 for example I can see why he pulls his punches with street thugs but when there is real danger and innocent lives at stake he should be 1 hit-koing all the badguys but you just accept it otherwise the game wouldn't work. It's kind of the same here in that Star-Lord is the leader and calls the shots so you have to play as him to make the team focused combat make sense.

I love the attention to detail like the other Guardians calling you out for game tropes like sidetracking and looking for loot or Rocket really hammering you with insults when the pair of you are in the middle of a disagreement but you need his help at the workbench.

I definitely take on board what a few other people have said in that it being Marvel will elevate it for fans especially if you are a comic fan as it is packed with references. If you are not a comic fan then don't expect the greatest game ever made as this isn't it but it is a very polished and very fun experience with a great (so far) story.

Jumped straight into my top 5 games for the year for sure.

I would 100% be on board for a next gen only sequel with some bigger areas to explore (still linear but maybe more branching) as it does feel like the game design is held back a bit by the older consoles.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I'm not surprised that this game appeals to modern audience. Another movie like game with close to 0 interactivity. I will watch a summary of the story on YouTube and that's it.

This review nails it. "You're not playing the game. It's playing you".

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Man, once one unlocks multiple abilities for every Guardian things get wild. And the world design keeps getting more impressive.

Rocket eventually becomes such a whiny bitch for a while. Grating. I get that's his nature in the comics (so I am told) but man, they could have toned it down. He goes from a great friend that likes to fuck with you to a 15 year old mean girl for a good 45 minutes of the game there.

Two thoughts as I close in on the final act:

1. I am def going to double dip on this and get it for PC when it's on sale, especially if there is DLC. I'd rather play that on my gaming PC with all of the visual settings cranked

2. Let this team do whatever Marvel game they want next. They can world build with the best of them, level design with the best, write dialog and narrative with the best, for real - this team is something else. I haven't seen third party single-player game design this good since old school Bioware. I know that's dangerously high praise but for real, this team has it

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I'm not surprised that this game appeals to modern audience. Another movie like game with close to 0 interactivity. I will watch a summary of the story on YouTube and that's it.

This reviews nails it. "You're not playing the game. It's playing you".

I mean its more of a game than The Last of Us 2 because at least here your choices can influence how the story goes, including the ending. The combat feels similar to Final Fantasy 7 Remake if you where stuck as Barret and they mixed in the call in mechanic from there recent Yufi exspantion.

The Combat is 100% the worst component of the title, however I noticed he was playing on what I assume is the easiest difficulty, as I am playing on hard and any special enemy takes a hell of alot more damage to take down than what he showed, requiring use of abilities that stun or root enemies to increase damage to effectively complete an engagement, otherwise they smack you down or knockout other guardians.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I mean its more of a game than The Last of Us 2 because at least here your choices can influence how the story goes, including the ending. The combat feels similar to Final Fantasy 7 Remake if you where stuck as Barret and they mixed in the call in mechanic from there recent Yufi exspantion.

The Combat is 100% the worst component of the title, however I noticed he was playing on what I assume is the easiest difficulty, as I am playing on hard and any special enemy takes a hell of alot more damage to take down than what he showed, requiring use of abilities that stun or root enemies to increase damage to effectively complete an engagement, otherwise they smack you down or knockout other guardians.

I don't know about The Last of Us 2 as I only played like the first 30 minutes and dropped it because back then there was no 60FPS patch on PS5. I need to return to it.

I think he played on normal but hated the combat so he dropped it to easy just to blast thought the story. Shitty combat in an action game is kind of deal breaker to me.

Onto chapter 12 now. I'm absolutely loving it and couldn't disagree more with the notion that "You are not playing the game". There's exploration, combat (a lot of it in later chapters), light platforming, puzzles (simple but they are there) interactions with the environment and other characters, dialogue choices. Like, if that doesn't qualify GoTG as "playing the game", then we might as well call Mass Effect an interactive novel.

I wonder if they will implement a balanced mode on new consoles. I still don't want to completely abolish the visuals to go 60 fps just yet.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I don't agree with this either.

Really want to dicuss why a linear story you have no control over, where you explore off the linear route for crafting resources, fighting in the odd combat arena is less of a game from one where you have control of the story with key decisions, where you explore off the linear route for crafting resources, fighting in the odd combat arena?

Because the similarities are pretty obvious for everyone playing them, just like how the Last of Us 2 is essentially a less bombastic Uncharted with golf.

Last edited:
The transition from Chapter 12 to 13 is the best in any game in a VERY VERY VERY long time. I literally said "NO FUCKING WAY!" when you realize what Chapter 13 will be.

What's so exciting about that transition, because I've just
landed on an icy planet
? Is it something that happens in that chapter?

Spaceman292

Banned
Really want to dicuss why a linear story you have no control over, where you explore off the linear route for crafting resources, fighting in the odd combat arena is less of a game from one where you have control of the story with key decisions, where you explore off the linear route for crafting resources, fighting in the odd combat arena?
You could say the same thing about DMC 5, the most video gamest video game ever

STARSBarry

Gold Member
You could say the same thing about DMC 5, the most video gamest video game ever

On a mechanical level it is, however it would be like comparing an apple and an orange, but this would be part of a much wider discussion of "what makes a game?" As certain components are more videogamey in one area when compared to anouther, largely due to its genre.

However Guardians and The Last of Us 2 are in the same identical genre, the Linear action adventure, so your comparing apples to apples in how they work mechanically and they follow the same design philosophy.

So how is one "less of a game" when it takes advantage of the medium it is on to provide "choice" in how the story plays out compared to anouther title that plays in an almost identical fashion but decides taking player control away from them for story purposes is better.

I personally believe more titles should realise they are not restricted to a linear story telling fashion in videogames, which is why titles like Baldur's Gate III which is currently developing along those lines excite me, and why Guardians was a pleasant surprise to me.

Last edited:
I wonder if they will implement a balanced mode on new consoles. I still don't want to completely abolish the visuals to go 60 fps just yet.
Asanine not to include one! Unless the next gem consoles are somehow not able to do better than 1080/60, which I don't believe for a second.

It's games like this that make me hate being a console gamer. We are always at the mercy of the developers and whether they want to give us options or not. I've lost patience for this kind of thing. Casual gamers are probably OK with it. They don't know better. But I refuse to believe that there isn't a significant group of ps5/series x owners who want options now!.

On one hand you have Sony and MS pushing "8k/VRR/Hamilton 2.1/ etc" but on the other there is still this archaic way of thinking and treating the console playerbase.

Luipadre

Im in chapter 5 on PS5 quality mode and i cant get over how amazing this game looks. Playing on C9 and honestly, one of the best looking game i've ever played. Details and the art is just crazy good

I think this is my game of the generation so far….this even feels better than the Sony first party Spider-Man games……I don’t know how they managed to fuck up the avengers game and make such a cool game like this

performance issues aside this is a great ride of a game

Top Bottom